Author Topic: Cecilia Braekhus ready for fight  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Cecilia Braekhus ready for fight
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
Cecilia Brækhus said after her last successful title fight in March that she lacked weight.  Now the boxer from Bergen has put on three kilos, with the help of Olympiatoppen, Norway's top sports organisation.  It could be decisive in Saturday's title fight.

"It has been very hard.  I didn't just have to put on weight, I had to train and build up muscle as well, and that is very difficult.  But I managed it with the help of Olympiatoppen", smiled the WBA and WBC women's welterweight champion.

At the weigh-in Brækhus weighed more than two kilos more than her opponent, Lucia Morelli.  That is important against an experienced boxer like Morelli who is unbeaten in 13 fights which include six knockouts.

"It was a good weigh-in.  I am very pleased to weigh a little more than her and it's important in a fight like this.  I will be more competitive", said Brækhus.

The Norwegian boxer is in top form for the title fight in the Danish town on Herning and she promises to come out strongly from the first round.  "She is a fighter, but I feel I am stronger and in this match I want to do more at the beginning and have more control", said Cecilia Brækhus.

Article and video clip: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/boksing/cecilia-jubler-for-hoeyere-vekt-2902863.html

Fight is at 19.45 UK time on Saturday

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:55:48 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Cecilia Braekhus retains titles
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »
Cecilia Brækhus successfully defended her WBA and WBC welterweight titles last night in Denmark but the boxer from Bergen had to go through ten tough rounds with Lucia Morelli.

"I felt I was in control from the first round, but I had to stay awake", said Brækhus to TV 2 Sport.  She won on points in her second defence of her World championship on Saturday night.  The three judges awarded her the fight by 98-92, 99-92 and 97-93.

The win was hard work.  The 28-year-old landed more punches than her opponent, but Morelli punched harder.  "The contest went well but my form did not hold up.  I have trained too hard in the last weeks", said Brækhus.  

The plan was to go out strongly against her Italian challenger, but the tactics were not followed.  "I felt uncomfortable with that, and started by finding out a bit about my opponent and then boxing my own match.  She was very strong but I felt I was in control from the start.  I was poor with my guard and that irritated me a lot", said Norway's boxing queen.

Cecilia Brækhus won her World welterweight WBC/WBA titles by beating Vinni Skovgaard on March 14 2009.  She defended the title on May 30 when she beat Amy Yuratovac in Helsinki.

Øyvind Løland
Article and video clips from TV 2: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/boksing/cecilia-braekhus-forsvarte-tittelen-2902863.html

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:13:06 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Saw stars
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
Cecilia Braekhus got a black eye and saw stars after one of Lucia Morelli's punches, but won her fight last night to remain the WBA and WBC champion.

The Norwegian stands with 13 wins in her 13 fights, while her opponent now has one defeat in her 14 fights.  "I took a good scalp and am very pleased with the win here in Herning, but am a little irritated that I was not able to show my skills as I hoped", said Cecilia Braekhus to NTB after her successful title defence.

"There is no doubt that this is the toughest fight I have been in so far in my career, but I feel I won every round.  She landed a couple of good punches but I didn't notice when I got a black eye in the second round.  I must admit I saw stars after one good punch she got in, but it showed she would not knock me out because she did not have any bigger punch".

She was in no doubt that the win was deserved.  "I have trained too much in the last few weeks and it meant that I did not produce the big punch I should have had for this fight.  I was tired, and I am not pleased with my guard, which was poor.  Maybe I am overconfident, I felt I would not be beaten or punched strongly, and that can be dangerous", said Braekhus.  "I showed I was better than Morelli, and even though she punched me hard several times I was only thinking of boxing well.  I managed it, and I also relaxed a bit because I was never afraid of being beaten".    

"But I mad a couple of big mistakes which shows I still have a lot to learn.  So I must continue to work hard and this fight showed that I definitely have things left to learn", she said.

Braekhus never let Morelli into the match and was as agressive as necessary at the start.  But she never managed to establish a decisive advantage.  "Morelli boxed as I expected she would, but I was surprised that she was able to hold her level.  She was in better condition than I expected", she said.

"What now?"  -  "I am going to defend my titles, but I don't know who it will be against.  Sauerland [promoters] must decide, and I will box whoever turns up.  Perhaps it would be good to meet Vinni Skovgaard in a return match.  I would also like to box against the Swede Anna Ingmann, but I won't forget that there are a few Americans I would like to meet as well", said Braekhus with a smile.

Her trainer Ulli Wegner was not at the fight last night, and it was the first time that she fought without him at the ringside.  "I don't think it made a big difference that he was not here, and I never felt I was on thin ice in this fight", said Cecilia Brækhus.

ANB–NTB http://www.rb.no/lokal_sport/article4578734.ece

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:15:04 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Brækhus - American opponent next
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »
Cecilia Brækhus will have an American opponent for her next fight in Rostock on October 30.

"I have no name as yet but we are working with two or three possible opponents.  Everything points to it being an American girl who will be brought in for this fight", said Kalle Sauerland to NTB.

Brækhus, from Bergen, Norway, is the first woman in the German company to hold the world welterweight titles of the World Boxing Association (WBC), World Boxing Council (WBC) and World Boxing Organisation (WBO).  

Two of the hottest tips for the next opponent are Rachel Clarke, ranked as a challenger for the WBC and Adelita Irizarry, who is no. 3 in the ranking of boxrec.com.

"I have met Adelite Irizarry before and I remember it was a very tough match, but I won", said Brækhus to NTB.  It was her 7th match as a professional and she won on points over six rounds.  This time it will be ten rounds.  "It will not be an easy match for me and I am very pleased to have American sparring-partners because the American girls box in quite a different way from the European style.  They have no respect and go about the fight differently".

"I have become stronger and feel more explosive than before.  I have had no problems with weight - I am where I want to be", said Brækhus.  "You can say everything is falling in place for Rostock.  I'm on the way".

Brækhus was last in the ring on May 15 when she beat the American boxer Victoria Cicneros.  She has had 14 wins from 14 professional fights.

NTB http://www.ba.no/sport/article5328832.ece

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:57:19 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Brækhus stops Laurén
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
 Last night Cecilia Brækhus was able to have an early night after stopping the Swedish boxer Mikaela Laurén on a technical knockout in the 7th round.  "No-one is going to take the title from me, anyway not her", said Brækhus before the fight in Rostock, Germany on Saturday.

The Swede was never in contention and failed to keep her guard up in the 7th round when a left hook at the end of a series of punches by the Norwegian put her on the canvas.  Maybe Laurén regretted she had not listened to her mother, a doctor, who wished her to make a different choice of career.  Laurén was up by the count of 10 but her corner threw in the towel.  

Brækhus had few problems in defending her world titles and was technically far ahead of her ooponent.  "It went reasonably well and I was in full control.  I was a little stressed when we drove to Rostock and had a sleepless night, but by the evening my legs were a lot faster", she said.  Even though the Swede could have continued, she was hopelessly behind on points after six rounds.  "I could see she was not on the same technical level as me and if she was to win she would have to overcome me at the start.  When she failed to do that she had no chance", said the victor.

"I never got into this fight and must admit that Cecilia Brækhus was much quicker and better than I had expected.  I need to develop a lot before I can have another shot at a world title", said Mikaela Laurén.

Boxing's 'First Lady' is already being set up with a new fight on November 20, possibly against the American Holly Holm.  

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/10/30/sport/boksing/cecilia_brekhus/14075118/

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
KO win for Cecilia Braekhus tonight
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »
Cecilia Brækhus (29) now has world welterweight titles from the WBA, WBC, WBO and WPBF.  In tonight's fight against the Serbian Eva Halasi the WBC and WBO titles were in contention.

The fight was never exciting, and 1 minute and 13 seconds into the third round, after a total of 5 minutes and 13 seconds of boxing, Halasi had had enough.  The Norwegian 'First Lady' stepped up the tempo and the Serbian had no chance.

A right hook sunk Eva Halasi.  The 26-year-old with six wins and two defeats - both on knockouts - was up on the count but the referee stopped the bout.  "She came out with all she had, but obviously it was not enough", said Brækhus to Viasat Sport after the match.  Now Halasi will return to kick boxing.

Brækhus now has 16 wins in her 16 professional fights, including four knockouts.  Now she wants to contest the IBF belt.  

Lasse Bjarte Hove http://www.tv2sporten.no/boksing/knockoutseier-for-braekhus-i-tredje-runde-3346817.html

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:44:16 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.