Author Topic: European Cup Final  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
Re: European Cup Final
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 01:26:44 PM »
Kelly Smith was by far England's best player today. I think she has got to be regarded as the best English player ever.

Bollocks!!

Football-England match raitings
England: R.Brown 3, A.Scott 5, F.White 6, A.Asante 5, C.Stoney 7, K.Chapman 5, F.Williams 7, J.Scott 5, K.Carney 7, K.Smith 8, E.Aluko 5.

The Sun match raitings

ENGLAND RATINGS: Brown 4, Scott 5, Stoney 6, Williams 6, Asante 5, Carney 7, Chapman 7 (Westwood 4), Aluko 6(Sanderson 4), SUN STAR WOMAN: SMITH 8, Scott 6, White 7.

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
Lol Kelly Smith of course was the best English player even with her knee injury, you can't knock her, her skills, reading of the game and passion are immense   :) :P

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
Lol Kelly Smith of course was the best English player even with her knee injury, you can't knock her, her skills, reading of the game and passion are immense   :) :P

She was certainly the best England player in the final - showed why she's always in the top 5 in the world rankings,
She had a slow start in the tournament imo, but was carrying an injury, but proved her class in the final.

It wasn't her fault that Germany were the better team.
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »

She was certainly the best England player in the final - showed why she's always in the top 5 in the world rankings,
She had a slow start in the tournament imo, but was carrying an injury, but proved her class in the final.

I totally agree with you both
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »

I totally agree with you both

She did have a slow start and seemed to be playing hard when she had to, almost letting the team play without her when we were playing well and then if it looked like we were in trouble she would kick into action and get us through to the next stage.
I really think we had such a great chance to beat Germany as the rest of the england team seem to be catching up in ability with Kelly, if she had been fully fit the cup could have been ours! ;D

Also Carney was amazing, often leading the fight in attack

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
I really think we had such a great chance to beat Germany as the rest of the england team seem to be catching up in ability with Kelly, if she had been fully fit the cup could have been ours! ;D

Also Carney was amazing, often leading the fight in attack

You have to remember 2 things, Smith is older than most of the players on the team so she has those extra years of experience. So obviously the others will have to catch her up.  :P Secondly those extra years were spent in a professional league or at least training everyday in the States, which meant she probably progressed twice as fast as most other players. Yes she is the most naturally talented player in the England squad, no-one has disputed that and yes in the final I thought she was their best player. But through out the tournament I still personally think Chapman was the best player, everyone is entitled to their opinion  ;D

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »
But through out the tournament I still personally think Chapman was the best player, everyone is entitled to their opinion  ;D

I don't think anyone has disputed that. I think the issue has been whether or not Kelly is overrated.