Author Topic: Trevor Brooking Pays Tribute To England Women  (Read 559 times)

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
Trevor Brooking Pays Tribute To England Women
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
Sir Trevor Brooking, the Football Association’s Director of Football Development, paid tribute to Hope Powell and the England players after watching them beat Finland at the Turku Stadium to reach the Euro 2009 semi-finals.

Brooking has been closely monitoring the progress of the women’s game and will continue to support Powell’s team at the tournament in Finland – he flew back home after the quarter-final in order to see Fabio Capello’s England face Slovenia at Wembley on Saturday, but he will then return to Finland to watch Powell’s team play Holland in their semi at Tampere.

Reflecting on the 3-2 quarter-final victory over the tournament’s host nation, Brooking said: “We had really good little spells going forward and Eni’s goal – her second and our third – was fantastic. It gave us that cushion you felt we might need towards the end. I thought we were the better team and deserved it, though. We're in the semi-finals on merit and it's really encouraging for the future of the game – and I'd like to be talking about similar progress next summer with Fabio's team (at the World Cup in South Africa).

“Now we'll have to step up again for the semi-final. We'll have to play a bit better, but so far we've improved with every game. We’ve just got to try and recover now, the players have had quite a draining little spell. Now they’ve got a couple of days rest to make sure they recover and see who is up for selection on Sunday. I’ll be coming back out on Sunday morning – I’ve got my flight booked already, so that’ll be good.”

Brooking also stated his pleasure at seeing the development of the England women’s teams. He said: “The girls went out to China (in 2007), then the Under-19s won their European Championship (this year). Now, for us to get to the final four (at Euro 2009) was really important. You get to the stage where rankings become important for seedings and so forth. Having got ourselves into a position where you can be a seed and be one of the leading nations in your group, you have to try and keep that.

“It’s really important to get this sort of tournament experience and if we can do that in a cycle – and we know we’ve got some good girls coming through in the younger age groups – then we like to feel it’s a healthy future, especially in three years’ time with the Olympics (England will represent Great Britain at the London Olympics). With a combination of this group of players and one or two younger ones coming through, it will be a great platform for the women’s game in our country.”

Tournament football, added Brooking, is key to the future progress of the England teams. “I think it’s encouraging just for the development of the players,” he said. “Much as you play odd internationals and at club level, there’s nothing like tournament football.

“You play a little flurry of matches, you pick up injuries, you pick up suspensions, people that come in have got to do well. You’ve got to have that extra depth in the squad. You start to find out who’s a good traveller, who is good coming off the bench, who can make an impact. It’s that sort of tournament football that the age groups are finding out about this summer. We’d like to make a habit of it and we’d like our (men’s) seniors to make a habit of it next summer.”