Author Topic: England Vs Netherlands - UEFA Euro 2009 semi final  (Read 5337 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: England Vs Netherlands - UEFA Euro 2009 semi final
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
1-1 Full Time

Extra Time

Clarke off Jill Scott on for Extra Time
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:53:54 PM by David »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
2-1 Jill Scott

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »
2-1 win Full Time

Offline october74uk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
just have to say Katie Chapman...she was brilliant. How many headed balls in midfield did she win!

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 07:41:36 PM »
just have to say Katie Chapman...she was brilliant. How many headed balls in midfield did she win!

England's player of the tournament so far, IMO.

Well done England!!!

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
Wow that game was so tense, amazing! I cant believe we have made it to the final. What an amazing perfomance from the ladies not giving up when even the ref seemed to be against them.

Offline october74uk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
The Ref was terrible...yes she let the game flow but there was some blatent fouls going in there and that was a hand ball.Jeezus!!

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
Oh man!  England love to put their fans through the wringer!  Get in there, Jill!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:25:32 PM by idh1 »

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
Well done England - despite the odds against you on the day - defo a penalty etc :o

The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »
Kelly got UEFA/Carlsberg player of the match again  :)

http://www1.uefa.com/competitions/woco/potm/index.html

Powell elated after last-gasp winner

Delight and relief were the dominant emotions for Hope Powell after Jill Scott sent her England side through to the UEFA WOMEN'S EURO 2009™ final with a header from Karen Carney's corner four minutes before the end of extra time. Before that, their opponents from the Netherlands had produced another impressive defensive display, and Oranje coach Vera Pauw praised her players for their efforts throughout the tournament.

Hope Powell, England manager
If I'm honest, I think we were the better team but better teams have played and lost and certainly played and lost in this tournament. We knew how they would set up and their system is very, very frustrating to play against, but it works for them and they stuck very well at it. Fortunately, we were patient. We missed a few chances that perhaps we might have scored, but the main things is we got there in the end – in the very end. I'm just really delighted it's over and we can look forward to the next game.

[On leaving out Karen Carney] We knew their full-backs are very, very physical and we thought Jess [Clarke] could come on and compete well against those two and perhaps run at them a bit and if we needed to bring Karen on, we could. As it happened, we needed to. I must give credit to Jess Clarke, I thought she was the reason we scored the first goal, actually.

We did set a target [before the tournament]; we just didn't share it with the media. The target was we wanted to play six games. Our main aim was to get out of the group but the ultimate aim was to get ourselves into the final. We're there now and the next step, of course, is that we want to win it.

Kelly Smith, England forward & Carlsberg Player of the Match
We're absolutely delighted. We're thrilled to be in the final. I thought it was a great team performance by us tonight. Credit to Holland, they made it very difficult for us. We knew how they were going to set up and at times it was frustrating for us with them having ten players behind the ball, but our patience showed tonight.

Vera Pauw, Netherlands coach

The fairy tale almost continued. I think we would have had a chance if it had gone to penalties, but the best team won. I'm proud of my players: they were mature in their play and it's hard to lose to a goal [four] minutes from the end. What we did here was fantastic and today it was better again. They have become different players in a few weeks' time. We know where we stand but we've beaten a few teams higher than us in the rankings. We gave away the corner [for England's winner] a little too easily and our marking was lacking a few times.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/woco/fixturesresults/round=15049/match=2001421/report=rw.html

there are some great photos, especially of the 2nd goal celebration on the UEFA.com website.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:16:34 PM by Rach_83 »

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
I'm sure you're delighted with that after what you posted earlier :o

Btw - how nice to see the comments by Vera Pauw, esp when compared with certain managers of men's teams :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:24:01 PM by twmcat »
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »
I am.

I was praying it wouldn't go to penalties - and not just because it's manic updating them on the site!

I was yelling in the office when Jill scored. Good job there's no audio on the website!  :)

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 10:35:01 PM »
missed it live, but Casey Stoney was on radio five earlier:

Delighted England left-back Casey Stoney said getting to the final of Euro 2009 was a huge moment for all of the players and management.

"We are over the moon. A lot of the players have said this is not only the best moment in their career but possibly the happiest moment in their lives," she told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I haven't stopped smiling since I walked off the pitch but we know we haven't won it yet, we know that.

"We are gathering momentum now, we know we have still got a lot to give in terms of playing, we haven't even reached third gear yet so we are hoping we can produce a great display come Thursday for the final.

"It was a fantastic result but we know we now need to go on and win the tournament."

full report on match here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/women/8238831.stm

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:45 AM »
he England women’s team secured their first ever final under The FA tonight with a hard fought 2-1 extra time victory over Holland. The win books England’s place in the final at the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki on Thursday evening where they will face the winners of the Germany v Norway game taking place tomorrow night.

Head Coach Hope Powell was delighted with the win.

“To be honest, I’m absolutely thrilled. It has taken a lot of hard work to get here and I think tonight we deserved to go through to the final. The Dutch played a system that was very hard to break down and it was frustrating for our players, we had to be very patient. I think we could have killed the game earlier than we did, we missed some very good chances and had a couple of shouts for a penalty as well so it was a relief when we scored before we had the lottery of penalties.”

“I’m just really glad it’s over and we got there in the end. Credit has to go to the players, who battled hard tonight against a very organised and disciplined side and didn’t panic even when we it looked like it was not to be our day.”

Questions were raised about the omission of Karen Carney from the starting line up, with Leeds Carnegie midfielder Jess Clarke replacing her on the wing, but Powell felt it was the right move.

“It was a tactical decision tonight. We thought Jess has something to offer us tonight against their 2 full backs and she competed well and gave them a thorough test. Jess was a good outlet throughout the game and we knew the option of having Karen come on against tiring full backs would be a good one for us, and we felt our plan worked, Karen did very well when she came on and was a real handful.”

Powell admitted that this moment was a huge achievement in her career but was quick to praise the support from her team of staff.

“I was fortunate to play in a final as a player and this has been equally thrilling from a personal perspective. But this is not just for me, this is for all the medical staff, the technicians, the operations staff, even the chef who is with us, they have worked so hard to get us where we are and I want to thank them.”

Powell immediately turned her thoughts to Thursday.

“To be honest, we are there and that is all that matters to us, we do not care who we play. Germany maybe favourites tomorrow evening, but Norway will be up for it and it will be a good game to watch. We set a target privately of playing 6 games and we have reached that target but the ultimate aim is to win this competition, that is our objective and that is what we will be going for on Thursday night.”

England star Kelly Smith, the scorer of England’s opener tonight, was equally as excited.

“It’s a mixture of emotions that I’m still trying to take in. Delighted, thrilled, emotional. The team gave a fantastic performance tonight against a side who made all 120 minutes very difficult for us. We knew how they would play and that their main aim was to frustrate us and sneak a goal.  We had to be patient and we got our rewards, and I think we deserved to win on the night.”

“I’m looking forward to the final, it will be a huge moment in my career and although my knee is very stiff now, a couple of days of recovery, ice and treatment will get me ready for Thursday. As a player, a final is what you’re in these tournaments for and we will now be looking to win it.”

Everton midfielder Jill Scott, who scored the winner in extra time with only 4 minutes remaining, could quite describe her feelings after the game.

“I’m speechless, it’s so hard to describe what I’m feeling, it’s pure elation really. The gaffer told me to go on and make an impact, get in the box and give us some aerial threat. I think should have scored in the 1st period of extra time but it bounced off my shoulder, so it was fantastic to be able to get on the end of Karen’s corner. I couldn’t believe I had scored and I didn’t know how to celebrate. I’ve got a one-year old nephew watching the games at home so I blew him a kiss to let him know I was thinking of him.”

“It was a massive performance from the girls, many of whom have played a lot of games in quick succession. I was just glad I was able to get on the pitch and play my part. We are all now looking ahead to Thursday night, we haven’t yet hit top gear and I think everyone realises there will no better place to find it than in the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki.”

The FA Director of Football Development Sir Trevor Brooking was at the game and heaped praise on the team.

“I’m and everyone at The FA are delighted for Hope, the staff and the players. I thought it was thoroughly deserved against a very good defensive side. We knew it would be tough and they were so difficult to break down. It was disappointing we conceded an equaliser minutes after we got our noses in front and when we missed all those chances, it was easy to think that it might not be our day. But credit to the players, they kept going, stayed patient and got their rewards.”

“Now we have to focus on the final. Getting there is an achievement in itself but it’s now all up for grabs, and an extra days rest will hopefully balance out the demands of going to extra time tonight. I’m sure Hope and the players will not be content with just reaching a final, there’s a huge opportunity to go one step further.”

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »
The Ref was terrible...yes she let the game flow but there was some blatent fouls going in there and that was a hand ball.Jeezus!!

I don’t think it was a penalty simply because it did not look like the player handled the ball deliberately.  The replay showed that the Dutch player was looking in a different direction.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Media coverage - England Vs Netherlands
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »
Media coverage better than I expected today in the papers, I've put links some of the papers websites (and put my fav. one below) but all these were actually printed in the papers today. Nearly all papers have pieces on their websites which is great to see.  :)

Karen Carney’s late cameo makes Hope Powell’s night extra-special

England’s women move closer to ending 25 years of hurt, writes Peter Lansley in Tampere
Jill Scott of England is congratulated by team mates

England last night reached their first women’s European Championship final in a quarter of a century — back in the days when Hope Powell, now their head coach, was a teenage wunderkind — after Jill Scott headed the winning goal four minutes from the end of extra-time.

It was no more than they deserved, after the belated introduction of Karen Carney helped England to turn their dominance into superiority. Kelly Smith gave Powell’s team a lead that they carelessly lost within three minutes but Carney, the Chicago Red Stars winger, led the renewed assault, creating a succession of chances in the extra half-hour that finally bore fruit when her dangerous corner was headed over the line by Scott.

England will play the winners of tonight’s semi-final between Germany and Norway in Thursday night’s final in Helsinki. Powell, who played in the 1984 final, when England lost on penalties to Sweden, said: “I can’t remember that match but as thrilling an achievement as it is personally to both play and coach your country to a final, my backroom staff are equally responsible for this.

“If I’m honest I thought we were the better team but better teams have played and lost in this tournament.”

The first half had resembled a practice session of attack versus defence as England probed the Dutch defence without threatening. Vera Pauw, the Holland coach, looked to be planning a repeat of the quarter-final triumph over France, in which her team had stifled superior opponents before prevailing in a penalty shoot-out.

Pauw is close friends with Powell, who said beforehand that they knew each other’s teams so well that tactical ingenuity would be crucial. Powell sprang one selection surprise, leaving Carney, one of her most consistent creative players, out of the starting line-up and starting Sue Smith, the left winger, on the right.

The 3-2 win over Finland on Thursday appeared to have taken a lot out of England and, although they dominated possession, there was a flatness about their early play.

Pauw had described Smith as the best female player in the world after the striker’s hat-trick in the teams’ last competitive meeting three years ago. It was to the Boston Breakers player that England looked for a moment of magic last night and she did not disappoint.

In the first half, Smith beat Annemieke Kiesel-Griffioen once before going back for more, using a Cruyff turn, appropriately enough, to flummox her marker again before cutting inside another defender, only to see her right-footed shot blocked.

The introduction of Carney after half-time offered England more penetration down the flanks and as she stretched the play down the right, Eni Aluko made inroads down the left. When Dyanne Bito’s clearance came her way in the 61st minute, Aluko flashed into the penalty area and pulled back her pass intelligently for Smith to roll her left-footed shot into the net. But within four minutes, Holland were level. Manon Melis got away down the right wing, where Casey Stoney was out of position, and from the centre, Marlous Pieëte equalised with a low shot.

The game reverted to type, with Holland getting ten players behind the ball. When Petra Hogewoning escaped with handling the ball in the last minute, Holland’s game plan looked on course. Yet in extra-time, Carney created three cast-iron chances within the first period. Fara Williams shot over from just inside the penalty box; then, from one yard out, Lianne Sanderson, a substitute, lifted her shot on to the crossbar. When Carney’s corner flew into the danger area Scott, another substitute, headed over. But she made amends memorably just as a shoot-out loomed.

England Women (4-2-3-1): R Brown — A Scott, L Johnson, A Asante, C Stoney — F Williams, K Chapman — S Smith (sub: K Carney, 46min), K Smith, J Clarke (sub: J Scott, 90) — E Aluko (sub: L Sanderson, 70). Substitutes not used: K Bardsley, S Chamberlain, F White, R Unitt, J Handley, E Westwood, L Bassett, D Buet. Booked: Stoney.

Holland Women (4-2-3-1): L Guerts — D Bito (sub: M de Boer, 117), M Meulen, D Koster, P Hogewoning — A Hoogendijk, A Kiesel-Griffioen — M Melis, S Smit, M Pieete (sub: K van de Ven, 87) — K Stevens (sub: S van de Sanden, 120). Substitutes not used: A Christ, P Dugardein, M Brummel, C van den Heiligenberg, S Spitse, L de Vries, J van Dalen, C de Ridder.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6824148.ece

Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/england/6147245/England-Women-2-Holland-Women-1-aet-match-report.html

Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/06/england-holland-womens-european-championship

Daily Mail: (although the headline is slightly different on the actual paper) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1211561/England-Ladies-2-Holland-Ladies-1-AET--Now-want-win-says-jubilant-boss-Hope-Powell.html

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
BBC2 to air Euro 2009 final - England V Germany
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
With the heightened media coverage and possible demand? BBC2 have picked up the match on Thursday, which is excellent news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mytph

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
Shame it took a final to shake the BBC out of their stupor.

footiechicksotherhalf

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
Birmingham manager would be a good choice.

Get this person a doctor, i don't think their feeling well..lol...  ;D

footiechicksotherhalf

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »
Shame it took a final to shake the BBC out of their stupor.

Same old BBC, knew this would happen. It would of been nice if they took the other 5 games as well! Get the game out to as many potential fans as possible.