Author Topic: Alex Scott reaction to Italy defeat  (Read 684 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Alex Scott reaction to Italy defeat
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »
England Women's team returned to Helsinki last night following the defeat to Italy in Lahti, and are now preparing for their second group game with Russia on Friday evening.

The team is departing for training now, and there will be a session in Helsinki Football Stadium tomorrow night prior to the game on Friday.

Below are quotes from Boston Breakers defender Alex Scott, reflecting on the result and looking ahead to the match with Russia.

Alex Scott:
"The red card did play a part in the game, but even though we were a player down for the majority of the game we still feel disappointed because it was down to our performance that we lost the game.

"We didn't do the basics right, we didn't play how we know we can play and that allowed Italy to stay in the game. So even with ten players we are very disappointed with our own performances.

"There are a few tired legs today, but I think we made it hard for ourselves in the game by not keeping the ball very well and playing a lot of long balls forward.

"We're a team that can play one or two touch football and we didn't do that at all on Tuesday, so as a team we made it hard for ourselves in the way we played - not because we were down to ten players.

"At the same time you have to take the positives out of the game, we were still in the game with ten players. It's just a matter of getting the balance right in how we reflect and move on to the next game.

"We know that Tuesday night was only the first obstacle of three group matches, so it's all to play for. If we get a good result against Russia and then go and beat Sweden we could still end up top of the group.

"There's two games, everything to play for and it's still early days in this tournament.

"I think it sums up the team that we expect so much from ourselves that even with ten players we know we should have played a lot better. There is a lot more to come from us, we're not at that level yet but everyone is demanding more from each other.

(Watching Sweden v Russia) "Yeah, I saw the match replayed this morning. We always knew that Sweden were the favourites to go through from our group, but we know that we have played some of the highest ranked teams in recent months and outplayed them at times. So it's all about us.

"We're focused on Russia, and I think they may be a harder test than Italy were on Tuesday. But it's about us now, we need to step up to the plate and take ownership of our own performances. We know we have to deliver than we did against Italy."

Offline Alan

• View Profile
England v Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
On Eurosport at 17.45 Friday.
Alltid. Uansett.