Author Topic: City disappointment against Bayern  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
City disappointment against Bayern
« on: July 30, 2009, 08:00:11 PM »
Bayern Munich 5 - 2 Glasgow City.

Glasgow City started off their European campaign with a disappointing result this afternoon against Bayern Munich at the City Stadium in Siauliai, Lithuania.  

City started quite well pushing forward until Jane Ross was flagged offside.  Bayern had a couple of chances for Nina Aigner and Tanja Wörle before Katharina Würmseergame put the German side went ahead, nodding in a Aigner corner with about a quarter of an hour gone.  Bayern had some more chances but City held their own and Leanne Ross had an attempt on goal smoothered.  Bayern went 2-0 up however when Simic latched on to a Paterson free kick and Malone got booked for protesting.  Glasgow almost got a goal back when Jane Ross got on the end of a Leanne Campbell corner but the half finished at 2-0.

City were out the traps for the second though and when Simic conceded a free kick just outside the area Leanne Ross was on hand to fire in City's first goal of the tournament.  Lindner and Campbell had chances before City levelled the score.  Malone came off to make way for Ruesha Littlejohn and she put City level with almost her first kick of the ball.  Sadly Bayern retained the lead a minute later Simic got her second of the match and late goals from Aigner and late sub Nicole Banecki gave Bayern a flattering scoreline.  it could have been so different though if Glasgow City had been able to hold on at 2-2.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:32:38 AM by Toad »

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

shlj

Re: City disappointment against Bayern
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
They are probably out now, except if Bayern loose one of their next two games.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 01:32:49 AM »

Horrible having to hope things like that will work for you :(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »

Horrible having to hope things like that will work for you :(

I don't see that happening though, but the UEFA site report was quite interesting....

Bayern catch breath after Glasgow scare

FC Bayern München's bid to become the first side to win Europe's premier club trophies for both male and female sides is on course after the latter opened their UEFA Women's Champions League campaign with a 5-2 defeat of Glasgow City LFC in Lithuania. Their Group A opener was far from straightforward though.

Bayern relief
Katharina Würmseer and Julia Simic put Bayern 2-0 up at the break but Jane Ross pulled one back and with 13 minutes left Glasgow substitute Ruesha Littlejohn equalised. However, virtually straight from the restart Simic restored the Bayern lead and Nina Aigner and Nicole Banceki ensured the points. There was still a cost for Bayern as Würmseer was taken off before half-time following a clash of heads, and both her replacement Isabelle Bachor plus Mandy Islacker were substituted with ankle injuries.

'Difficult game'
Simic said: "It was the difficult game we expected. Glasgow were extremely strong in the tackle and that's where we had problems. When we went two up we were well in control of the game, but then we had a difficult time in the second half, sometimes we were not in control at all and consequently conceded the equaliser. My goal to make it 3-2 immediately after the equaliser was extremely important."

Würmseer reflects
Having become the first player to score for Bayern in Europe, Würmseer added: "I was pleased with my goal, though I wasn't aware it was historical. It was more important that we took the lead, we knew it would had been tough had we fallen behind. When I had to leave the pitch after that tackle I felt a bit dizzy, but now I feel better, though I still have a headache."

Glasgow frustration
The next step in Bayern's bid to earn the one Round of 32 place on offer from Group A is a Saturday fixture against Georgia's FC Norchi Dinamoeli Tbilisi, who lost 7-1 to mini-tournament hosts Gintra Universitetas FC. They are the next opponents for Glasgow, whose manager Eddie Wolecki said: "When Ruesha scored, I was sure we had them. We speak so often about not switching off when we score, so to go behind within ten seconds of the restart was criminal. Up until they scored their third goal, we were in control and they were panicking. However, what has happened we cannot change. We need to pick ourselves up and learn from our mistakes for Saturday."

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u