Author Topic: African thunderstorm  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
African thunderstorm
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:59:21 AM »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: African thunderstorm
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:34:07 AM »
The early part is quite amazing  :o
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Tornado in Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »
Friends Marianne Foss and Beate Drevik did not believe their eyes when they saw a tornado coming straight for them.

"First we saw it a long way off, when it came down from the clouds.  We didn't believe it was a tornado", said Marianne Foss to TV 2 News.  "Then it came closer and we could see what it was".

Marianne says the first thing they thought was to stop the car and take a picture.  "We drove the car into a bus stop, and took the picture", she said.  Then it came towards them at high speed.  "At the closest it was only 10 metres from us.  Then it swung suddenly to the left and over a shrub, then up a roof".  

Marianne was with her friend Beate on the way to a holiday home at Berger.  They had just come from a shop and then in the countryside they saw the tornado.  "It was not so powerful so we were not afraid.  We had youngsters with us in the car and we all think it was great", said Marianne enthusiastically.

Camilla Albertsen is a storm meteorologist.  "There had definitely been some rain and thick cloud over Østlandet on Thursday, so we can understand it", she said.  She also said they very seldom have tornados with as much power as in the USA among other places.  "Over water they can pull up a little water or small loose items", she said, and admitted they are very fascinating phenomena to witness.

http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/innenriks/article2836963.ece

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:58:19 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »
Tornados seem to be reaching countries where they didn't usually occur - maybe global climate change is the cause  ???
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Typhoon in Taiwan
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
A million people are fleeing from a typhoon in China and Taiwan.  The Hotel Chin Shuai in Taiwan which was one of the buildings that had to be sacrificed to nature.  This video shows it toppling into the swollen local river.
http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/utenriks/article2850725.ece

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 03:57:40 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:00:39 PM »
I'm glad they managed to evacuate it first!!!

I don't know it it's me, but some of those watching seemed to enjoy the spectacle - a bit like when they demolish large old chimneys and buildings in the UK  ???