Author Topic: Serious injury in WPS match  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Serious injury in WPS match
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
CARSON, CA - Monday, July 6, 2009 - Los Angeles Sol defender Christie Shaner is undergoing surgery today in the Washington D.C. area to repair a mid-shaft tibia/fibula fracture that she suffered in a collision with the Washington Freedom's Abby Wambach in the Sol's 1-0 victory on Sunday afternoon.

Shaner and Wambach collided as both made an effort to control a loose ball in the penalty area nearly five minutes into the second half. The match was Shaner's first in a Sol uniform after being acquired early last week in a trade with Sky Blue FC (NJ/NY).

The 24-year-old native of Ambler, Pennsylvania is scheduled for surgery at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville, Maryland. Dr. Steven Tuck of Shady Grove Orthopaedic Associates will perform the procedure. The timetable for recovery is unknown at this time.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Christie," said Los Angeles Sol General Manager Charlie Naimo. "She is a great person and was set to make a big contribution to the Sol this season."

After the surgery, Shaner will be driven home to Ambler before recovering enough to rejoin her Sol teammates in Los Angeles.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3858019
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
Re: Serious injury in WPS match
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:03:09 PM »
Thanks for this update. It looked an awful injury at the time and the match was held up for nearly 10 minutes. Thought Christie was a new name and now I see why....her first match. Total accident, both players fully committed to winning the ball - the replay showed the seriousness of the injury in graphic detail. Hope she makes it back to playing again.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Re: Serious injury in WPS match
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the update, I meant to look up what had happened as they didn't mention it again at the end of the match.

It looked an awful injury at the time ....... the replay showed the seriousness of the injury in graphic detail.

I agree it did look awful at the time and I think they went one to many in showing the replay of it, IMO. It was also nice to see her team mates looking after her whilst she was been assisted by the medics.