Author Topic: 'I'll need £11,000 before I play for Arsenal'  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
'I'll need £11,000 before I play for Arsenal'
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:36:18 PM »
Published Date: 22 June 2009
By JACKIE TURLEY

TOP GUN: Elizabeth ‘Bert’ Stanley could need to find £11,000 by September so she can train with Arsenal’s women’s football team (MIKE WADE)

THE whistle could be blown on a talented footballer's career with the Gunners before it has even started.

Elizabeth Stanley, known as Bert, secured a place at the Arsenal Ladies Football Academy last month.

But the 17-year-old, who is a goalkeeper for Rushen United and the Island senior team, might not be able to go after she was told she would have to foot a £11,000 bill, double what she was expecting, after being classed as an international student.

'It's the worst feeling in the world knowing that something most people only ever dream of, and I have the chance of doing, is being crushed by financial problems,' she said.

'To be told I'm good enough to play for Arsenal, but am struggling for money to get there is pretty gutting.'

Bert, of Gladstone Avenue, Ramsey, is waiting to hear whether the Department of Education or the Isle of Man Sports Council will support her.

She has also written to a number of companies asking for help, but so far has been unsuccessful.

Bert was shocked when she found out she had got into the academy for 16 to 22 year olds, saying: 'I was crying I was so happy. I couldn't believe it, it was the most amazing feeling ever.'

Arsenal Ladies team is the top team in England, having won the domestic treble (FA Women's Cup, FA Women's Premier League and FA Women's Premier League Cup) this year.

Bert was one of four successful applicants out of 70 players who were invited to trials for a place at the academy this year.

She was put through her paces in two tough trials by top Arsenal players, including Emma Byrne, the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper and face of Nike Pro clothing, England legend Kelly Smith and Wales captain Jayne Ludlow in two trials.

Bert is due to move away from the Island in time for the start of the course in September, where she will study applied sports science in the morning and then train at the club's training ground in the afternoon.

She will also play matches for the academy team, giving her a head start in being picked for the first team.

Her place at the academy has been confirmed for a year and, depending on how she performs, she may be asked to stay on.

To support Bert email her at bert_arsenal-academy@hotmail.co.uk

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/sport/39I39ll-need-11000-before-I.5388175.jp

shlj

Re: 'I'll need £11,000 before I play for Arsenal'
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »
11,000 GBP is a lot of money, especially for one season.

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
Arsenal fans come out in support of goalkeeper
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
ARSENAL fans from around the world have come out in support of a talented footballer who needs to find £11,000 so she can achieve her goal.

Elizabeth Stanley, known as Bert, kicked off an appeal so she can take up her place at Arsenal Ladies Football Academy.

The 17-year-old, who is a goalkeeper for Rushen United and is representing the Isle of Man at this week's Island Games, might not be able to go after she was told she would have to pay double what she was expecting after being classed as an international student.

She has until the course starts in September to find the money.

As well as reporting the story in the Isle of Man Examiner, we reported Bert's plight here on iomtoday.co.im and the story was picked up by Arsenal fans' websites - goonernews.com and arsenalnews.net referred supporters to our online story, which attracted more than 14,000 hits.

Bert, of Gladstone Avenue, Ramsey, has already received £650 from Isle of Man residents and has had phone calls from people saying they will organise fundraising events for her.

And she has received messages of support from Arsenal fans from as far away as Zambia wishing her good luck in finding the money.

Bert thanked everyone who had supported her, saying: 'It means a lot to me that people really want to see me go. They understand how much I want to go.'

When she returns to the Island she plans to organise some fundraising events of her own.

'I'm keeping everything crossed that I'll be able to find the money,' she said.

She is waiting to hear whether the Isle of Man Sports Council and the Department of Education will support her.

To support Bert email her at bert_arsenal-academy@hotmail.co.uk

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/sport/Arsenal-fans-come-out-in.5409576.jp

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: 'I'll need £11,000 before I play for Arsenal'
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
So Isle of Man is a foreign country?   ???
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(