Author Topic: 'Bert' signs up for Arsenal academy  (Read 1496 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
'Bert' signs up for Arsenal academy
« on: May 19, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »

TOP GUN: Elizabeth Stanley's safe hands have landed her a place at the Arsenal Ladies Football Academy

Published Date: 16 May 2009
By JACKIE TURLEY

A RAMSEY teenager is hoping for a career with the Gunners after securing a place at the Arsenal Ladies Football Academy.

Elizabeth Stanley, known as Bert, of Gladstone Avenue, was put through her paces by top Arsenal players including Emma Byrne, the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper and face of Nike Pro clothing, England player Kelly Smith and Wales captain Jayne Ludlow in two trials.

The 17-year-old, a goalkeeper for Rushen United and the Island senior team, had only applied on the off chance, never thinking she was going to get in.

And after her second trial at the start of the month she thought she had missed her chance.

'I didn't think I'd done that well – I thought I'd messed it up,' she said.

She was shocked to receive an email confirming her place at the academy for 16 to 22 year olds last week – and she has not let a copy of it out of her sight since.

'I was crying I was so happy – I couldn't believe it, it was the most amazing feeling ever.'

Bert, a student at Ramsey Grammar School, was one of four successful applicants out of 70 players who were invited to trials for a place at the academy this year.

She will move away from the Island in time for the start of the course in September.

She has a place at the academy for a year and, depending on how she performs, can be asked to stay on.

Bert plans to study applied sports science in the morning and then train at the men's training ground in the afternoon.

She will also play matches for the academy team, giving her a head start in being picked for the first team.

But despite playing with Arsenal she said that her loyalty would always be with Birmingham, saying: 'I'm never going to be an Arsenal fan.'

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/39Bert39-signs-up-for-Arsenal.5272484.jp
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: 'Bert' signs up for Arsenal academy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:41:37 PM »
But despite playing with Arsenal she said that her loyalty would always be with Birmingham, saying: 'I'm never going to be an Arsenal fan.'

Thankfully not all the players at the academy feel the same way.  It was only last Sunday that I was at the Arsenal (men) u18 academy final against Spurs at White Hart Lane sitting near lots of the academy players like Gilly Flaherty and Cally Rowell. They all seemed really happy when we scored and won the game :)
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

shlj

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »
Cally Rowell is a declared Arsenal fan. Also the girls academy players know the boys academy player well.
We have 2 United supporters in the Academy team though.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
Lianne Sanderson, no longer with us (at Arsenal, I mean, not dead or anything  :D) is a Man U fan  :'(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »
Lianne Sanderson, no longer with us (at Arsenal, I mean, not dead or anything  :D) is a Man U fan  :'(

Rebecca Spencer is also a Man Utd fan. A lot of our recent players have supported the club like Smith, Scott, Tracy, Grant, Yankey, White and young players like Cally Rowell.

shlj

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »
Young Cally is the typical homegrown player as she has been with the club since the U9 or U10 and went through the center of excellence and the academy. I hope she can get a chance in the first team next season and as far as I know is rated by the coaching staff.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
Young Cally is the typical homegrown player as she has been with the club since the U9 or U10 and went through the center of excellence and the academy. I hope she can get a chance in the first team next season and as far as I know is rated by the coaching staff.

She is a lifelong fan of the club.  I hope you're right and she does get a chance in our first team.

shlj

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:18:21 PM »
She has one appearance this season starting  in midfield against West Ham in the 3-0 win the the County Cup and one as a sub in 2007/08 against West Ham away coming on at half time in the 11-2 win

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:20:04 PM by shlj »

Sylvain

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
Here is a picture of Bert taken on Sunday during the warm-up :