Author Topic: Women's Champions League 2009/10 details confirmed  (Read 23269 times)

shlj

Re: Women's Champions League 2009/10 details confirmed
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 10:23:16 PM »
Zvezda reached last year's final, they are hard to beat.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
Re: Draw for last 32 and 16 round
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »
Roa for Everton and Paok Salonique for Arsenal.
Everton unlucky with the draw again  >:(

Well the first leg is away...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »
Zvezda reached last year's final, they are hard to beat.

Ooops  :-[

I didn't follow later stages much and don't know a lot about most European teams - I should have kept my mouth shut when it came to things I know nothing about :(

Even more difficult for Everton then, but, let's keep fingers crossed ;)

And - as Toad says - first leg is away ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 06:02:11 AM »
Yes, and now you're facing Norway's best team, with nine potential WNT players (five of them boycot the WNT).

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »
Yes, and now you're facing Norway's best team, with nine potential WNT players (five of them boycot the WNT).
I'll probably ened up going to Everton anyway - be nice to see 2 good teams.

Although, I may change my mind and make the longer journey to see my Arsenal ladies ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

footiechick

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »

Well Everton have 7 players in the England national team not to mention a few others who play in the younger national sides.Plus,they have a Welsh international now as well.

Out of interest,why do some Norway players boycott the national side?

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »
there are 5 "rebel" Norway players with ROA who play Everton soon and the boycotting is a difference of opinion with the manager

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 08:56:50 AM »
The five might return to the fold now that the manager is gone. However:
- In Cyprus 2007 the manager verbally attacks a player for a full five minutes in front of the others for a minor fault.
- In Oslo Airport after a 20 hour long plane ride home from the World Cup at midnight, he tells Norway's star player that she is not in his future plans. Ever.
- Having failed a medal in the said World Cup, he blames the players for not giving enough. He, even when contfronted with the press, is beyond reproach. It's always the players.
- In October 2008 he demands that the players must make themselves ready for a practice bit in November. Some players have steady jobs and say that they can make no such guarantee, others have exams in medicine or law, and cannot make it. Berntsen calls them selfish and unwilling to make compromise.
- Thow in that the WNT has to live by boarding school rules, that Berntsen demands a formation-oriented game style (a la "Drillo", if that helps) and that the NFF takes no action when players react (re: Klaveness and several others), things are simply not even remotely fun.

So they boycot.

When Marit Breivik, Norway's legendary handball coach, is involved (in Norway, women's football is standing in the shadows of the (European) handball team), she immediately starts talking to the players, asking how things are, what's the matter. Berntsen (and many others) are baffled at her attempt at actually being polite. Which is probably the best attempt at solving the conflict ever.

I saw your players. I must confess I was somewhat surprised that Jill Scott was used so little. Fara Williams did well, as did Rachel Brown (ish). Lindsay Johnson and Rachel Unitt didn't exactly scare me, while Faye White was average.

Oh, Wales haven't impressed in women's football so far. But I agree, it's a strong side. We got an American, by the way. Plays for Washington Freedom.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:58:38 AM by Andreas Kolle »

Offline Everton Ladies fan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
I saw your players. I must confess I was somewhat surprised that Jill Scott was used so little. Fara Williams did well, as did Rachel Brown (ish). Lindsay Johnson and Rachel Unitt didn't exactly scare me, while Faye White was average.

Well Faye White plays 4 Arsenal not Everton
If Lindsay doesn't scare u then Becky will.  But u won't catch Lindsay, Thats y we call her lightning!
5 of our players also won the U19s European Cup not so long ago.
Finland was amazing!  Wish we were still there!

shlj

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »
while Faye White was average.

Well Faye White plays 4 Arsenal not Everton
And yes she is average and below  sometimes   ;)

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 03:48:57 PM »
Faye White has performed really well for England.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
My bad. Well, Faye is horrible. Nuff said.

Nice to hear that you have a defender who runs away!

shlj

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 08:39:21 PM »
Faye White has performed really well for England.
Yes she has done a better for country than club for a few years now.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2009, 11:31:21 PM »
The five might return to the fold now that the manager is gone. However:
- In Cyprus 2007 the manager verbally attacks a player for a full five minutes in front of the others for a minor fault.
- In Oslo Airport after a 20 hour long plane ride home from the World Cup at midnight, he tells Norway's star player that she is not in his future plans. Ever.
- Having failed a medal in the said World Cup, he blames the players for not giving enough. He, even when contfronted with the press, is beyond reproach. It's always the players.
- In October 2008 he demands that the players must make themselves ready for a practice bit in November. Some players have steady jobs and say that they can make no such guarantee, others have exams in medicine or law, and cannot make it. Berntsen calls them selfish and unwilling to make compromise.
- Thow in that the WNT has to live by boarding school rules, that Berntsen demands a formation-oriented game style (a la "Drillo", if that helps) and that the NFF takes no action when players react (re: Klaveness and several others), things are simply not even remotely fun.

So they boycot.

Sounds like Phil Brown, Hull City (men) manager.
They had a great start to their first season in the Premiership, but lost track a bit, then he insisted they stayed on the pitch at half time in one game and listen to him rant.
They lost something like 8 consecutive games after that, and just picked themselves up enough to save them from relegation.
And he wondered why he couldn't sign new players during the summer  :D

footiechick

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »
Thanx 4 explaining about the reasons 4 boycotting the national team.Doesnt sound like the managers methods did anything 4 team morale.
As regards Roa internationals,i only saw bits of the semi against Germany so havent seen much of their players and then only 1 started the match.But maybe this doesnt say anything about how good they are.
To be fair,u cant judge Johnson or Unitt from the Euros.And we have plenty of other players that werent even in the squad.
But may the best team progress.We shall just have 2 wait and see who that is.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2009, 01:58:08 AM »
In case it's not been mentioned here before, Arsenal's second leg will ko at 3pm on 7th October at Borehamwood (free entry) and Everton will start on the same day at 2.30.

Apologies:

Either I read it wrong or it has changed, but Everton will ko at 3.30 (according to Uefa.com).

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/womencup/fixturesresults/index.html

It's daft to kick off these games at mid afternoon in midweek - most other second leg ties kick off a lot later.
Perhaps someone could explain why?  ???
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:42:42 AM by twmcat »

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 10:54:14 PM »
It's because Røa's humble stadium does not have good enough lighting. Which is bull. We play matches later than that, and it's still bright. It's UEFA being a pain.

Offline dowiefan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »
got explained by andy at everton its with regards of lighting at marine... a believe ya have 2 have the floodlights at a certain strength n sadly there not bright enough..... oh well means i get to go the game now...
maybe the everton fans cold chip in for some new bulbs lol...
well im not cant do nite games

Offline cardy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »
Glad to see Danielle Carter with Arsenal.  She plays reserves this season and has great potential, a natural striker I believe.

shlj

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 01:39:19 AM »
Out of the 16 seeded team for this round only 3 lost away :
Sparta to Alma 1-0 with the winners playing Arsenal, ( I really hope NOT to go to kazakstan in november )
Bardolino to Fortuna Hjorring 4-0 and Everton to Roa  3-0.