Author Topic: Buffalo Flash  (Read 1314 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Buffalo Flash
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:42:58 PM »
At the end of the summer season the W-League made an announcement about a new team for the 2009 season.

Buffalo Flash join W-League in 2009

USL News Release

TAMPA, FL – United Soccer Leagues announced today the first W-League expansion team to be added for the 2009 season, unveiling that the Sahlen family, led by W-League player Alexandra Sahlen, has acquired the franchise rights for the greater Buffalo area, which will be home to the new Buffalo Flash.

Sahlen is currently the President of Sahlen Sports Park, a family-owned indoor sports facility that the W-League team will call home for training. The facility is an 180,000 sq/ft multi-sport center with three open fields, a boarded field, a fitness center, soccer store and café. The facility features a full field sized 70 by 100 yards and is home to numerous adult and youth sports leagues and tournaments.

The team will play at Orchard Park High School, where the Sahlen family has contributed in the school’s fundraising efforts to renovate the multi-purpose field over the past year.

Prior to suspending her W-League season after one game this year due to a stress fracture, Sahlen was a three-year player for the Rochester Rhinos W-League team, seeing action in 39 games from 2005-07, including the championship final four tournament hosted by Rochester last year. The former Niagara University player and assistant coach will also likely play for the Flash next season.

"I’m thrilled to be pioneering the development of women’s soccer in the Greater Buffalo area and look to bring a new level of competitive soccer to the area. Our one of a kind facility and deep successful family history, combined with the USL W-League’s standard will no doubt become a fruitful partnership that will influence women and girls of all ages in the Western New York area for years to come."

The Sahlen name is well known in the northeast as a leading producer of quality meat products. Based in Buffalo, the company was founded in 1869 and is still family-owned and operated five generations later.

The Sahlen family has become very involved in sports and sports marketing over the past four years. In addition to the indoor facility and the new W-League franchise, Sahlen’s is the Official Hot Dog of the Buffalo Bills NFL team and it has been a sponsor of a racing team in the Grand Am Koni Challenge and the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series and title sponsor of two races held at the legendary Watkins Glen auto race track. The co-owner of Team Sahlen and one of several drivers is Alexandra Sahlen’s father, Joseph.

“We are thrilled to welcome an entrepreneurial player into the W-League family as a team owner and operator,” said USL Executive Vice President and COO Tim Holt. “With her family’s tradition of excellence in business and sports in the region, we are confident that Alexandra Sahlen will follow in the family’s footsteps and make the new W-League team a success on and off the field.”

The Flash name is a carryover from the racing team, which incorporates an electric flash in its design scheme. The electric flash, also present on the city’s flag, is a reflection of Buffalo’s history with hydroelectric power from Niagara Falls. Known as the City of Light due to the widespread prevalence of electricity throughout the city, Buffalo was, in fact, the first city to ever use electric street lights.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/features/Expansion/266595.html

Buffalo Flash Sign Rosie Tantillo

Member of 2008 Pali Blue Championship squad is Buffalo's first signing

Buffalo Flash Press Release
Friday, March 20, 2009

The Buffalo Flash announced today that midfielder Rosie Tantillo has joined the club as their first official signing for their inaugural season in United Soccer Leagues’ W-League. Tantillo comes to the Flash after an impressive 2008 season, winning the W-league Championship with the Pali Blues Soccer Club.

“We are very excited to bring someone with Rosie’s caliber to our club,” said Buffalo Flash Head Coach Aaran Lines. “We were very impressed with her level of play at the championship and we will look to Rosie to make an immediate impact. Her technical ability, combined with her experience is a huge asset to the Buffalo Flash.”

Tantillo has experience on the U.S U-23 and U-21 Women’s National team. She was a four year starting midfielder at the University of Southern California and was selected as the PAC-10 Freshman of the year in 2003. She also earned All PAC-10 accolades her final three years playing for USC. Tantillo spent the 2008 season playing with the Pali Blues Soccer Club where she helped lead the team to a W-League Championship.

Tantillo also brings experience off the pitch as she was the undergraduate assistant coach for her alma mater while completing her degree in public policy and development.

“I am thrilled to be the first signing for the Buffalo Flash for the 2009 season,” said Tantillo. “I am looking forward to making a huge impact on the East Coast and leading the Buffalo Flash in their quest for a W-League Championship.”

The Buffalo Flash opens their season campaign against the Quebec City Arsenal on Sunday, May 24 in Orchard Park, NY.

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/home/314637.html

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Buffalo Flash
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »
Buffalo Signs Portuguese International

Top W-League defender, Kimberly Brandao to join the Flash

Buffalo Flash Press Release – www.buffaloflashsoccer.com

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

BUFFALO, NY — The Buffalo Flash of United Soccer Leagues W-League recently announced the signing of Portuguese International Kim Brandao, fresh off her appearance at the Algarve Cup in Portugal where she lead her country to their best performance ever with a record of 3-0-1. The Portuguese captain has 14 caps for the squad and has played every minute of these matches.

"I am delighted to be a part of the new Buffalo Flash franchise,” said Brandao. “As soon as I met Head Coach Aaran Lines, Team President Alexandra Sahlen and General Manager Henrik Ambarchian, I was confident we shared the same vision in prioritizing professionalism in women’s soccer and mixing hard work with high standards.

“It is easy to see that the Sahlen family pride themselves in doing things the right way and that the Buffalo Flash will soon become a force in US women’s soccer,” added Brandao. “I am excited to help lead our team’s challenge for a W-League championship this season. I can’t wait to get started.”

Brandao comes to the Flash after playing for Jersey Sky Blue and the New Jersey Wildcats of the W-League, where she played on the World’s No. 4 ranked team and was the key starting center back in all four playoff matches including the W-League Championship match.

“Having played professionally in Sweden and in Spain, and for the Portugal Women’s National team, I am elated to secure a professional contract in my home country,” said Brandao. “I am confident I will bring plenty to help Buffalo Flash meet its ambitions this summer.”

The Rahway, New Jersey native also boasts experience with Falkopings KIK in Sweden after the 2007 W-League season and at CF Puebla in Spain for the 2008 season.

“We are delighted to add Kim to the organization in our inaugural season,” said Head Coach Aaran Lines. “Her experience at the international level as well as professionally in Sweden and Spain, gives our roster a different dimension. Her athleticism, consistency, composure and leadership from the back will be something we as a franchise can build around.”

Brandao capped a stellar career at Rutgers in 2006 with 84 career appearances and was named to the Soccerbuzz All America third team, NSCAA and SoccerBuzz All-Mid Atlantic Region First Team honors and All-Big EAST second team selection. As a senior in 2006, she helped organize a defense that allowed .85 goals per match and led the Scarlet Knights to its best season ever and the programs first trip to the Big EAST Tournament final.

“We are onto something special here in Buffalo,” added Lines. “Both of our signings thus far, Rosie Tantillo and now Kim Brandao, are marquee players. Combine that with our professional atmosphere and right now the sky is limit.”

The Flash opens their 2009 campaign against the Quebec City Arsenal on Sunday, May 24. Tickets can be purchased either online at www.buffaloflashsoccer.com or by calling 716-655-7529 starting on Wednesday, April 1.

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/home/317533.html