Author Topic: Mixed Football 2  (Read 2698 times)

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
Mixed Football 2
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
I have already had a number of e-mails requesting that I place a synopsis of my fair football proposal on this site – so here it is:

In order to play the game a line is drawn between the, infield, left hand corners of the penalty boxes. This divides the pitch into two equal areas (sides), with each area encompassing a penalty box and goal (I’m sorry I do not know how to insert a diagram, but draw it on paper).  The teams are also divided equally between the genders with each gender restricted to playing in one of the areas so formed.  The game is played normally, but there is no direct contact between the genders.   However they must play as a team by passing the ball between the genders, if their side is to win.  The genders swop areas (sides) and ends at half-time and so change defensive/offensive roles.  Also goalies change genders (there has to be male and female goalies).  Simple

There is now no reason why schools cannot deliver gender neutral soccer.  In my opinion this can be enforced by the use of the Gender Equality Duty (Title IX in USA) legislation.

If anyone requires a fuller version please e-mail me at gwynharvey@hotmail.co.uk  This details how rugby can also be modified.

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
Re: Mixed Football 2
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
Hi Gwyn.

I don't want to play Devil's Advocate and hopefully, everyone here knows my support for women's football. However, I'm having trouble grasping your proposal.

Rules of your game notwithstanding, at the moment, children up to the age of 12 can play in the same side. See http://www.thefa.com/Womens/GettingInvolved/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2007/06/Mixed_football_clarification.htm

Presumably, from then on, as boys become heavier and stronger than girls, any school worth its salt should then offer girl's and boy's football without the need to mix the sexes.

I appreciate that this may not always happen, depending on demand, staffing and facilities, but I can't see any appeal on the grounds of GED being successful. My understanding is that it's mainly for public bodies like the police, local government, NHS etc. although, of course, the remit extends beyond that.

But back to your proposal. Obviously, you can't have hulking 15-year-old boys tackling their female counterpart, hence your rule restricting players from entering other parts of the pitch - thus ensuring no contact between genders.

Truthfully, it sounds like a great training exercise, and would certainly be better than nothing if there's no other opportunities for girls, but I'd say part of the appeal of young - and older - football is the joy of being able to gallop the length of the pitch, bang a cross in, hurtle back for the rebound and generally pop up all over the pitch. I'm not sure how popular playing what is essentially a restrictive, watered-down version of football would be.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:48:57 PM by idh1 »

Offline fairfootball

• View Profile
    • fairfootball.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:04:59 PM »
Thank you for your considered reply.  After the 2006 Parliamentary Committee enquiry into womens football it is now government policy for mixed football after the age of 12.  I know the FA are playing lip service by allowing trials, but as you rightfullypoint out boys do have a physical advantage.  My proposal removes that advantage and would allow the game to be played fairly with men and women.  I know it is an audacious concept but all sports have to evolve to meet changes in society - and women can play soccer - they just need a level playing field (sorry about the pun).   If you give me your e-mail address I'll send you a copy of the full proposal so you can understand better.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:32 PM »
Thank you for your considered reply.  After the 2006 Parliamentary Committee enquiry into womens football it is now government policy for mixed football after the age of 12.  I know the FA are playing lip service by allowing trials, but as you rightfullypoint out boys do have a physical advantage.  My proposal removes that advantage and would allow the game to be played fairly with men and women.  I know it is an audacious concept but all sports have to evolve to meet changes in society - and women can play soccer - they just need a level playing field (sorry about the pun).   If you give me your e-mail address I'll send you a copy of the full proposal so you can understand better.

Click on his name and you'll find it in his profile ;)  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(