Author Topic: Women's World Cup hopefuls await draw  (Read 18902 times)

shlj

Women's World Cup hopefuls await draw
« on: February 24, 2009, 03:08:48 PM »
Germany will stage the next FIFA Women's World Cup from 26 June until 17 July 2011, and the race to claim Europe's remaining places in the finals moves a step closer with the qualifying group stage draw at 13.30CET on Tuesday 17 March in Nyon.

Eight groups
UEFA has been allocated four places in the final tournament, with a fifth nation to play-off with a team from CONCACAF. The 41 qualifying entrants will be drawn into eight groups, one of six teams and the others with five. There are five seeding pots, based on results in 2007 World Cup and UEFA WOMEN'S EURO 2009™ qualifying, all containing eight teams except for the fifth, Pot E, which has nine and will provide two nations for Group 1.

Top seeds
Among the teams in Pot A are the four nations which joined Germany in the 2007 finals, Sweden, 1995 winners Norway, Denmark and England, plus fellow UEFA WOMEN'S EURO 2009™ qualifiers France, Russia, Italy and Ukraine, the only side of those eight never to have played in a World Cup. The other 2009 finalists Finland, Iceland and the Netherlands are in Pot B along with beaten play-off contenders Spain, the Czech Republic, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, plus Poland.

Newcomers
The two third-place 2009 qualifying group finishers to miss out on the play-offs, Switzerland and Austria, are among the Pot C teams while surprise play-off contenders Slovenia are in Pot D along with Turkey and Bulgaria, who were knocked out in the preliminary round. In Pot E there are first World Cup entries for Armenia, Azerbaijan and F.Y.R. Macedonia.

Play-offs
Fixtures in the qualifying group stage are scheduled to run from 19/20 September 2009 until 25 August 2010, when the eight first-placed teams will go into the play-off draw. The two-legged ties on 11/12 and 15/16 September 2010 will produce the four qualifiers, with the defeated teams playing in further play-offs the following month to determine who will face their CONCACAF counterparts for the remaining berth in Germany. The tournament begins in Berlin's Olympiastadion and concludes in Frankfurt, with Augsburg, Bochum, Dresden, Leverkusen, Monchengladbach, Sinsheim and Wolfsburg also staging games.

Draw pots
Pot A: Sweden, Norway, Denmark, England, France, Russia, Ukraine, Italy.

Pot B: Finland, Iceland, Spain, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Scotland, Republic of Ireland, Poland.

Pot C: Switzerland, Austria, Serbia, Belarus, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, Hungary.

Pot D: Slovenia, Slovakia, Israel, Wales, Romania, Northern Ireland, Turkey, Bulgaria.

Pot E: Croatia, Armenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Malta, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Georgia.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/wowc/news/kind=1/newsid=802382.html

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
Re: Women's World Cup hopefuls await draw
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »
I noticed that one as well. I must confess I'm a bit disappointed that Moldova didn't return, and that:
The Faroe Islands
Northern Ireland
Lithuania
Latvia and
Luxembourg are not playing this qualification.

The groups themselves are hardly surprising. Pot A is basically too strong for pot B, but perhaps Portugal and Switzerland can stir cings up for Pot B if they're lucky. Also curious about Croatia, even though they're not likely to make it better than third, tops.

shlj

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:07:47 PM »
Quite a long trek those WC qualification. First win the group then win the play off or if you loose in the play off, you can play against a CONCACAF team for the 5th European ticket.
I am hoping for a group with France Scotland Belgium Wales and Estonia  :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:17:16 PM by shlj »

Offline Peter K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »
Any word on the groups yet from the draw?

shlj

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
I only know this so far : France, Islande, Serbie, Croatie, Irlande du Nord, Estonie not happy with that draw  >:(

Offline Oldship30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/wowc/news/kind=1/newsid=807792.html

Group 5
England
Spain
Austria
Turkey
Malta

Looks like alot of traveling again! ;D

shlj

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »
Group 5
England
Spain
Austria
Turkey
Malta

Looks like alot of traveling again! ;D
Those are all proper holiday destination as well lucky England supporters..

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »
Those are all proper holiday destination as well lucky England supporters..

Yep I like that draw actually. Be nice to go to Austria again, beautiful country.

Why you not happy with your draw Shlj?

shlj

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
I was hoping for some nice area to visit, so besides Estonia.
We should be able to top our group and be in the play-off.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »
My bad. Northern Ireland were in.

France might have some problems with Iceland if they play at their best. Remember, you did lose... Funny that all three top teams in this group were also in the last qualification.

The other three should not be a problem. Estonia is probably the poorest women's football country in UEFA, so it should be an easy win. Northern Ireland should not prove difficult, nor Coratia. Funny thing, those two met last qualification as well. N. Ireland thrashed Croatia.

Look at the bright side, shlj. The Croatian riviera is the new thing, and Belfast is one of the hot new places to go.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
Scotland's group is quite good should make one of the play off places...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

shlj

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:05 AM »
Look at the bright side, shlj. The Croatian riviera is the new thing, and Belfast is one of the hot new places to go.
Croatia is indeed the fashionable place to go to. As for Northern Ireland, well terrorism is back there but it is close to here so will definitely go there if I still work in UK.

Offline Andreas Kolle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
Scotland's group is quite good should make one of the play off places...
Well, as only the winner makes it to the play-off, do you think Scotland is capable of beating Denmark?

Offline Peter K

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 10:43:12 AM »
Did Fleeting play in the 3-3 tie in Russia? I would say that if Scotland was on and Denmark wasn't, that there is a chance that Scotland could get a result. That Kim Little is one hell of a player from the UEFA match I saw in the fall and they're a solid squad. But all in all, I would put my money on Denmark to go through, especially now that Fleeting is pregnant and most likely won't be involved, at least for the matches this year (when is the Denmark/Scotland clash anyways?)

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »
Wales are in Group 8 with Sweden, Belgium, the Czech Republic and Azerbaijan.

Easy one then  ;D

They'll probably play one game up here in North Wales - I'd guess that it will be against Azerbaijan  ;)

I was hoping for some nice area to visit, so besides Estonia.
We should be able to top our group and be in the play-off.
You know Iceland well, don't you? ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 02:01:26 AM »
Germany will stage the next FIFA Women's World Cup from 26 June until 17 July 2011, and the race to claim Europe's remaining places in the finals moves a step closer with the qualifying group stage draw at 13.30CET on Tuesday 17 March in Nyon.

Eight groups
UEFA has been allocated four places in the final tournament, with a fifth nation to play-off with a team from CONCACAF. The 41 qualifying entrants will be drawn into eight groups, one of six teams and the others with five. There are five seeding pots, based on results in 2007 World Cup and UEFA WOMEN'S EURO 2009™ qualifying, all containing eight teams except for the fifth, Pot E, which has nine and will provide two nations for Group 1.

Top seeds
Among the teams in Pot A are the four nations which joined Germany in the 2007 finals, Sweden, 1995 winners Norway, Denmark and England, plus fellow UEFA WOMEN'S EURO 2009™ qualifiers France, Russia, Italy and Ukraine, the only side of those eight never to have played in a World Cup. The other 2009 finalists Finland, Iceland and the Netherlands are in Pot B along with beaten play-off contenders Spain, the Czech Republic, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, plus Poland.

Newcomers
The two third-place 2009 qualifying group finishers to miss out on the play-offs, Switzerland and Austria, are among the Pot C teams while surprise play-off contenders Slovenia are in Pot D along with Turkey and Bulgaria, who were knocked out in the preliminary round. In Pot E there are first World Cup entries for Armenia, Azerbaijan and F.Y.R. Macedonia.

Play-offs
Fixtures in the qualifying group stage are scheduled to run from 19/20 September 2009 until 25 August 2010, when the eight first-placed teams will go into the play-off draw. The two-legged ties on 11/12 and 15/16 September 2010 will produce the four qualifiers, with the defeated teams playing in further play-offs the following month to determine who will face their CONCACAF counterparts for the remaining berth in Germany. The tournament begins in Berlin's Olympiastadion and concludes in Frankfurt, with Augsburg, Bochum, Dresden, Leverkusen, Monchengladbach, Sinsheim and Wolfsburg also staging games.

Draw pots
Pot A: Sweden, Norway, Denmark, England, France, Russia, Ukraine, Italy.

Pot B: Finland, Iceland, Spain, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Scotland, Republic of Ireland, Poland.

Pot C: Switzerland, Austria, Serbia, Belarus, Belgium, Greece, Portugal, Hungary.

Pot D: Slovenia, Slovakia, Israel, Wales, Romania, Northern Ireland, Turkey, Bulgaria.

Pot E: Croatia, Armenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Malta, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Georgia.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/wowc/news/kind=1/newsid=802382.html

WOW, England got put in a hard group!! They are going to have to really play harder than ever before to win this group, and I think they can do it. Darn, Groups C, D and E are soooo weak. They stock piled the best teams in Groups A. What a crock!!

Offline TempeBrennan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 12:39:24 PM »
These are not the groups, just the draw pots.
England will meet Spain, Austria, Turkey and Malta in the qualifying stage.

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 05:07:59 AM »
They still have Spain to deal with...not their most favorite to play. But the rest of the group looks to get a whipping from England, so they should have a really good shot at Germany '11.

shlj

UEFA qualifying rules
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »
In all 16 teams will compete in the 2011 final tournament, including hosts Germany, with four sides to earn places directly through UEFA qualifying, and a further European nation to play off with CONCACAF representatives for another berth.

The 41 UEFA qualifying entrants will compete in eight groups running until 25 August 2010. The winners of the pools will progress to the play-offs on 11/12 and 15/16 September 2010, producing four qualifiers for the finals. The defeated sides will then compete in further two-legged ties for a chance to enter the UEFA-CONCACAF play-off.

Teams finishing level on points in the qualifying groups will be split by (a) points gained in matches between teams concerned, (b) goal difference in matches between the teams concerned, (c) goals scored in matches between teams concerned, (d) away goals scored in matches between teams concerned, (e1) overall goal difference, (e2) overall goals scored, (e3) overall away goals scored, (f) fair play conduct, (g) drawing of lots. If two teams which are equal on all criteria meet in their last group game and draw, their final ranking will be determined by a penalty shoot-out rather than (f) or (g). This only applies if first place is at stake.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/wowc/standings/index.html

God knows who invented this qualifying mode :o
At least it guarantees the 4 UEFA qualifier will be strong and compete to the highest level.

shlj

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 12:57:56 PM »
2011 FIFA Women's World Cup qualifying draw

Group 1
France
Iceland
Serbia
Northern Ireland
Croatia
Estonia

Group 2