Author Topic: 'Playing the Field'  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
'Playing the Field'
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
I've just found copies of that old TV series 'Playing the Field' on Amazon for £12 for series 1&2.  Is it any good?  I think I only saw it once or twice and can't remember it very well, did anyone watch it and is it worth getting or is pish?

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

footiechick

Re: 'Playing the Field'
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
I loved it when it was on.The first series was better than the second tho.Got series 1 on video  :-[

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
Oh well then give it a go....

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
I remember Playing the Field well. Inspired by the Doncaster Belles, the football matches that feature in the series had the actresses playing against real women's football teams - albeit under ficticious club names.

I seem to recall Whitehawk Wanderers were one of them wearing an amber and black kit.

As an aside, Debra Stephenson is one of the main stars in the series. Back in my early days of watching women's football, I used to see Chiswick United play.

One of their players was a dead ringer for Debra - and probably very popular.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »
There seemed to be quite a lot of it...I don't remember it running that long, oh well can't find it on any of the UK Gold type channels so it will have to be DVDs...

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »
I think it ran to five series. There are two DVDs out covering the first four as far as I know. As far as I can recall it ended up a bit like Emmerdale (not much farming now) with less and less emphasis on the football.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
I've been given (but not yet got around to reading) an old copy of Pete Davies' "I lost my Heart to the Belles" and it has a sticker on the front "The book that inspired the major BBC1 TV series Playing the Field".

The book is based on the 1994-95 season, it appears. As for the TV series, no idea, apart from what has been said above.

The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:19:11 PM »
Saw this awful thing on Channel 4 on Sunday...'Shes the man,'  Boy was that bad...I had another stab at it on 4+1 but no it was putridly unwatchable....

byrnefan

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »
I vaguely remember playing the field and have got series 1-4 to watch when I eventually move

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »
I vaguely remember playing the field and have got series 1-4 to watch when I eventually move

It was you who gave me the book  :D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

byrnefan

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 05:06:33 PM »
I recently watched playing the field I enjoyed it but after series 1 it was more abour life off the pitch, vicky exley is in one episode

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 01:20:27 AM »
I've still not read the book :(

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
I recently watched playing the field I enjoyed it but after series 1 it was more abour life off the pitch, vicky exley is in one episode

Gee whizz, I suppose in a series baised on a book there will come a point where they run out of book...

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
It was more 'inspired by' rather than 'based on' the book.

Think of a soap opera with a bit of football and you're about there.

As byrnefan says, the ratio of football to soap decreases by each series.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »

Gee whizz, I suppose in a series baised on a book there will come a point where they run out of book...

Unless they have a series based on Proust's "À la recherche du temps perdu"  :D

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »

Unless they have a series based on Proust's "À la recherche du temps perdu"  :D

I don't suppose they would... is there much football in it though.  I suppose the narrator in his quest to be a writer ends up writing match reports for Morley Spurs Ladies FC, and his life becomes an attempt to recall the long lost stats for the Midlands Combination League....Would a series about 'Stato' be any good though....mmmm one can only wonder..

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
I suppose the narrator in his quest to be a writer ends up writing match reports for Morley Spurs Ladies FC, and his life becomes an attempt to recall the long lost stats for the Midlands Combination League.

Christ, Toad. That's a bit too close to home for my liking!  :(
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:13:34 PM by idh1 »

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »
I suppose the narrator in his quest to be a writer ends up writing match reports for Morley Spurs Ladies FC, and his life becomes an attempt to recall the long lost stats for the Midlands Combination League.

idh1 , I'm glad that you beat me with your reply....my reaction was just the same.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »

idh1 , I'm glad that you beat me with your reply....my reaction was just the same.

Oh dear this satrical comment has been a bit to cutting...a bit like my attempts to find the stats for the early careers of Unitt, Woody and Amy McCann....