Author Topic: Need A Helping Hand  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Bruiser650

• View Profile
Need A Helping Hand
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:24:15 PM »
Hello.  I'm a student here in California doing a research paper on professional women leagues around the world.  Unfortunately, I am unable to secure accurate statistical information (attendance figures, sponsorship dollars, etc.) of the FA Women's Premier League's 2007-2008 campaign.  Germany and Sweden were easy, but the WPL has been elusive.

Its 4 in the morning here, I was on the phone with the FA who directed me to the Football League and Premiership, both of which directed me back to the FA.  Before that, I had tried several search engines, now I am asking you the supporters to point me in the right direction.  Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid request, but I am seriously lost.

Thank you,
Mike

shlj

Re: Need A Helping Hand
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I am unable to secure accurate statistical information (attendance figures, sponsorship dollars, etc.) of the FA Women's Premier League's 2007-2008 campaign. 
Hi Mike,
Unfortunately, I think the FA is the right place to ask for those figures, otherwise you would need to
ask every club individually.

Offline Bruiser650

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »
The FA made it very clear to me that they did not keep the statistics.  The person I spoke to was a bit smug about it.  And both the Premiership and Football League spoke to me as if I was a nutcase for even asking.

shlj

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »
Well I am not surprised by that as Womens football is not the top priority in the footie agenda in England.
I guess you can ask all 12 clubs individually also I would surprised if they would revenues sponsorship and all kind of data to be honest. I know Arsenal do count the number of spectators at home games ( it ranges between 50 and 5000 )  but have no clue about others.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »
The teams in the WPL in 2007-2008 were:

Arsenal Ladies   
   Everton Ladies   
   Leeds Carnegie   
   Bristol Academy   
   Chelsea Ladies   
   Doncaster R.B.   
   Watford Ladies   
   Blackburn Ladies   
   Birmingham Ladies   
   Liverpool Ladies   
   Cardiff Ladies   
   Charlton Women

as you probably know.

If you want to contact the individual clubs, maybe best to google them  :-\
Some have decent websites which may or may not be helpful for you. Some aren't even up-to date.
But maybe some members here will come to your assistance re individual clubs ;)

As far as sponsorships goes - if you mean team sponsorship, then, as far as I know, teams like Arsenal and Everton were affiliated to the men's teams and even have same sponsors' names on the shirts, although the individual clubs may (or may not) be able to give you details.
I don't think many teams started offering individual sponsorship for players until this season - although Liverpool did, and it was shown on their previously excellent (but now defunct) website.

Attendances are not only just not always counted, they have games where they don't charge to go in - eg Everton's last couple of games after they had to leave their Marine FC ground and played games in Widnes.

Everton didn't charge admission or have match programmes for the Women's FA Cup game against Fulham recently, even though they were playing at Marine FC - and they (Everton) are currently one of the two top teams.

Just one point - although you're asking about English WPL, Cardiff are a Welsh team (although play under English system) and maybe the Welsh FA could provide details, although I doubt it. Cardiff were one of the teams to play Everton in Widnes (but were relegated).

One other point - unless I'm mistaken, Arsenal are the only team to have season tickets for fans, if that's any help.

The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

FansOfKate

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:06 AM »
Re -Attendances: English WPL

Blackburn Rovers Ladies FC have an average attendance of between 100-105 fans per game.  This will rise when Arsenal or Everton play at Blackburn.  The attendance v ARSENAL last week was 167.  This was made up of mainly players family, friends and Blackburn reserve and junior players.   On average across the WPL the attendance is likely to be between 100 - 200 per game.

This is despite the Women's FA Cup Final getting an attendance of over 25.000

Hope this helps