Author Topic: Fifa 'to allow GB football team'  (Read 4576 times)

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
Fifa 'to allow GB football team'
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »
Fifa 'to allow GB football team'

Fifa is set to back plans for a Great Britain football team to play at the 2012 Olympics, despite opposition from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The issue will be discussed by Fifa in Tokyo and the sport's world governing body is expected to agree to a British team participating at the London Games.

However, it will not yet sanction its participation beyond 2012.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has already expressed his desire to have the hosts represented at the Games.

And it is thought he would be happy for all the players to be English if the other home nations refused to allow their players to take part.

The one Fifa figure who might have opposed the move, vice-president Jack Warner from Trinidad and Tobago, now looks unlikely to do so, and insisted: "I remain open on the matter."

The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have openly expressed their concern that a Great Britain football team would threaten their ability to compete in future international tournaments as separate teams.

Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke has attempted to assure these bodies that this would not be the case but Uefa president Michel Platini has said he understands the nations' fears.

And an SFA spokesman responded to news of Fifa's likely impending approval of a Team GB by saying: "Our opposition to Team GB remains resolute.

"Our concern is that FIFA members and FIFA executives in the future would not have the same view as this one - and, subsequently, our status as an independent member would be threatened."

By 2012, it will be 52 years since a British football team has participated in the Olympics.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/7785935.stm

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: Fifa 'to allow GB football team'
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
I read somewhere of a suggestion that all 4 home countries are allowed to enter a team as a one-off as the games will be held here and it's the area where football got started.

Don't know if that was a serious suggestion by anyone of note though  ???
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline TempeBrennan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:49:27 AM »
I wonder why the FIFA discusses that issue although three of four countries are against a team GB... I think it should be the other way round: all four countries should come to an arrangement and 'ask' the FIFA later on.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:13:11 PM »
....or simply have an agreement that the squad contains equal number of players from each country as a fair representation of all 4 countries.... i think this would be easier for the women than the men though.

shlj

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:20:07 PM »
....or simply have an agreement that the squad contains equal number of players from each country as a fair representation of all 4 countries.... i think this would be easier for the women than the men though.
I'd be surprised if you could find 4 NI, 4 Scottish, and 4 Welsh players today  who are competitive enough and better than their English counterpart,  but it's true in 2012 a few of today's international  player will be gone.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »
I wonder why the FIFA discusses that issue although three of four countries are against a team GB... I think it should be the other way round: all four countries should come to an arrangement and 'ask' the FIFA later on.

I cannot see this team not going ahead to be honest. I suppose FIFA are the governing body and that is why they will discuss it, and of course it is in FIFA's interest to have a successful tournament, and that generally requires the host Olympic team to be involved. Which for the purposes of the Olympics is of course Great Britain. The British Olympic Association, mainstream UK politicians and the English FA are in favour of it. There doesn't seem to be any missing pieces to stop it once FIFA give the go ahead, and particularly since they seem to be flexible about the make-up of the team.

I think Northern Ireland have said they will take part in the past if they get a clear indication from FIFA that their status will not be affected, and given time when minds become more focussed I would guess that will probably happen.

The team should of course be selected on merit, which home nation the players come from is irrelevant IMO. Although I would expect there to be some accomodation in practice to include a representative from each participating association.

If there was the necessary will to permanently combine the home nations' associations then in my opinion it would just happen anyway, regardless of the 2012 Olympics and what the English or Scottish FA thought etc etc.

footiechicksotherhalf

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:09:19 PM »
I think we should have a team GB in the football. This is our olympics after all. It would also be an incentive for some of the current younger players to improve as i'm sure they would love to represent team GB in this showcase event. It would also be nice to see a fair mix of Welsh, Irish and Scotts along with the English girls. I thought there was an age restriction on the teams in the past with the odd over age player. 

shlj

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »
The age restriction is for the mens side only.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I'd be surprised if you could find 4 NI, 4 Scottish, and 4 Welsh players today  who are competitive enough and better than their English counterpart,  but it's true in 2012 a few of today's international  player will be gone.

Ah thats why I said 'squad' to include equal amounts, i don't know if they have limits on olympic squad amount....then let the manager choose the team (so they could pick 8 English players and one from each of the other nations or whatever combination.

shlj

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
They had 18 players at the last one in Beijing including 2 goalies

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »
I'm sick hearing about these dammed Olympics..Its becoming a real drain on resourses at the one time when we don't need it...The arts are in line for major cuts so, ironically is sport yet they are still shoveling money into this Blairite bollocks....It was all part of the Blair legacy but hes only been away for over a year and who the hell still remembers him....

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »
 ???
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »
I'm sick hearing about these dammed Olympics..Its becoming a real drain on resourses at the one time when we don't need it...The arts are in line for major cuts so, ironically is sport yet they are still shoveling money into this Blairite bollocks....It was all part of the Blair legacy but hes only been away for over a year and who the hell still remembers him....
I remember him - he was like the Cheshire Cat - the grin the last thing to disappear  ::)
It's still there now - while we hear how much he's earning when many people are going to suffer financially (and in other ways - eg those who use routes which are going to be "assigned" to Olympic dignitaries etc for 6 weeks  >:()
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

shlj

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
Great Britain Olympic Football Team
The Executive Committee confirmed that the participation in the 2012 London Olympic Games of a single team representing Great Britain would not affect the existing individual status of the four British football associations. The British associations will be invited to determine whether they wish for such a team to participate, and how it would be composed, with a view to presenting their proposal to the FIFA Executive Committee in March 2009.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/media/newsid=983481.html#combined+bidding+confirmed

I think the 4 British association should be happy with that FIFA official endorsement.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Smith urges 2012 soccer deal
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
Kelly Smith appealed in Zurich today for the British football associations to get their act together over the 2012 Olympic Games.

The historical fact that England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales exist independently within the world game, both on and off the pitch, has caused enormous controversy.

Thus Great Britain has not competed in football at the modern Olympic Games and, while England’s Football Association is in favour of competing at both men’s and women’s tournaments in 2012, the other three nations are not.

Smith, one of five nominees to win the FIFA Women’s Player of the Year prize, had no hesitation in supporting the pro-Games lobby.

She said: “All the England women’s players want in to happen because to play in the Olympic Games would be an outstanding achievement for any of us. We have spoken to the Scottish players and to the Wales captain, Jayne Ludlow, and they are all for it. It’s just a problem of politics. But it would be great for the English women’s game.

Experience crucial

"The men have the World Cup and the European Championship but our women’s game really needs to get to another major tournament to gain greater experience. It must happen!”

Earlier Smith had discounted her prospects of winning the award, given the achievements in 2008 of the other four nominees.

Goalkeeper Nadine Angerer and captain Birgit Prinz of Germany had both won bronze at the Beijing Olympics while Christiane of Brazil was five-goal top scorer at the Olympics and collected a silver medal, like Marta – FIFA’s top woman player in 2006 and 2007.

Marta confirmed, during a pre-Gala press conference, that she is transferring to Los Angeles on a three-year contract and five successful years in Swedish women’s football with Umea.

sportfeatures.com

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 09:46:58 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Olympics, but if helps women's footy by having a Great Britain and Northern Ireland team, that 's fine, as long as we can trust FIFA not to use it as a thin end of the wedge to getting rid of home countries separate identities.

But, I'd expect the team to be shared equally - 2.75 players from each country on the field at any one time  ;D

shlj

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
I would expect thirteen english, two scottish, two welsh and one northern ireland player

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »
We'd have a great chance with 18 players on the pitch  :D

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 09:52:04 PM »
I'd expect them to just field the team that tops the league that year  :P

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:41 PM »
I'd expect them to just field the team that tops the league that year  :P
You mean a women's home international tournament, or Arsenal?  ;D