Author Topic: World Player of the Year 2008  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
World Player of the Year 2008
« on: December 12, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
The remaining contenders for the 2008 FIFA World Player and FIFA Women's World Player awards, which will be handed out at the Zurich Opera House on 12 January 2009, were announced on Friday. In alphabetical order, the male nominees are Kaká (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Fernando Torres (Spain), and Xavi (Spain), while Nadine Angerer (Germany), Cristiane (Brazil), Marta (Brazil), Birgit Prinz (Germany) and Kelly Smith (England) will contest the women's award.

Among the exciting modifications which will be introduced at the 2008 FIFA World Player Gala is the participation of five men and five women footballers as opposed to the three players from each category as in previous years.

The above-mentioned nominees were confirmed after a poll in which the coaches and captains of men's and women's national teams from around the world cast their votes on the basis of a list of men's and women's candidates drawn up by FIFA.

In addition, the customary FIFA Presidential Award and the FIFA Fair Play Award will be presented.

fifa.com
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:26:08 PM by Rach_83 »

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
Re: Gala nominees revealed
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:32:03 AM »
I think Prinz will win the men's award and Ronaldo the women's  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »
I dont get this....

Why isnt Hope Solo a nominee

I can understand the nominations of Marta Christiane and Kelly thet fdeserved it

angerer....;I say........ok if you have nothing beter

Bud what's Birgit Prinz doing in that list.........................

what did she did the past year??????????????

Hope deserves it much and much and much more

the USA won thanks to her the Olympic final!

Did Prinz scored 1 goal in olympics???

this are nominees voted by captains and coaches of all the world teams.

I gues some of the dont know any other names then Prinz or Marta.....

there are even in Germany alone 5 player that deserve it more then Prinz at least 5

Hope really deserves to be world player of the year

becide angerer is good in the national team bud disapointed in Sweden

http://www.hopesolotribute.tk/

and Yeah... I have a litlle something against Birgit Prinz in meanwhile

Offline TempeBrennan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
How often have YOU seen Birgit Prinz and the others playing last season? It's a bit unfair just to say you have "a little something" against Prinz and that's the reason not to vote for her... Have you seen her in more than one or two matches for her club? I mean, Frankfurt won all titles last season and she scored 25 goals - not too bad.
I have only seen Hope Solo in the Algarve and later on in the Olympics - I don't know what she did in friendly matches etc. And that's the same with all the players: I haven't seen them on a regular basis.

I think it's definitely a problem that many coaches do not have an overview, and I know that many top coaches and experts know about that. But I can't imagine that anyone of us has enough knowledge about international women's football to be more capable to vote and to make a fair decision.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:21:55 PM »
I read reports every week and see dfb tv

and Hope has the record clean shout outs this year

Come on its like there is no other German player

there are many beter pplayers in Germany alone

Like Krahn

in 2007 she shouild have been nominated instead of prinz

Offline TempeBrennan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »
You can't compare Annike Krahn (defender) and Birgit Prinz (striker).

I do know about the problem and I definitely don't like these votings because football is a team sport and you can't compare strikers and defenders in my opinion.
I don't want to argue about players who are probably better than Prinz. Everyone who knows a little bit about Frankfurt and the German team knows about the decisive role Birgit Prinz plays there - even if she does not score. And of course there are more outstanding players in Germany - Nadine Angerer is nominated as well. I've seen her playing in Sweden and for Germany - everything I saw was pretty good.

The only thing I want to say is that it's always easy to complain but a lot more difficult to do it better. Reading reports every week does not qualify you more than the FIFA people, dfb.tv is a great thing but it does not give you an overview of the Bundesliga, there is only one report every week. What do you know about African players for instance? That's a problem as well... they do not have enough possibilities to present themselves. The whole FIFA voting is a problem because there is not enough TV material, newspapers don't report regularly - it's more or less impossible to be well informed about everything that's going on in women's football.
I don't take this World Player Gala that seriously (there are many players who don't do that either), for me it's more a pr thing and a good way to promote women's football.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:37:57 AM by TempeBrennan »

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:50:31 AM »
they might beter do the same thing as with the men

choose best goalkeeper-defender-midfielder-striker and genaral player of the year
bud prinz in the top 5 its a discrace for every other player that made the last ten or even the last 30

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Football's Gala evening awaits
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:31:36 PM »
Though the festive season is now behind us, for the biggest names in world football it is not yet time to put away the tuxedos and evening dresses. That is because this Monday, on 12 January, the splendid Zurich Opera House will host the 2008 FIFA World Player Gala, in which the men's and women's player of the year will be crowned.

The format has changed slightly since the 2007 edition, at which Brazilians Kaka and Marta took top honours. Not only has the ceremony moved from December to January, but for the first time there are five nominees vying for just one prize in the men's and women's categories, guaranteeing even more drama than usual.

Unsurprisingly, last year's winners are among the nominees again this time. The mercurial Marta, who remains as hungry as ever for individual and team accolades, showed how much the award meant to her last year, saying: "I still have many things to achieve and want to come back to this Gala many more times." Kaka was also greatly moved by his 2007 award, saying at the time: "This is a very special day for me. The Bible says life gives us more than we ask for and that's what's happened to me."

Neither Brazilian will find it easy to hold onto their crown, however, given the impressive credentials of their fellow candidates. Cristiano Ronaldo finished top scorer en route to winning the English Premier League with Manchester United in 2008, a year in which he also picked up winner's medals in the UEFA Champions League and FIFA Club World Cup. The last 12 months also saw Lionel Messi claim his second Olympic gold medal and continue to dazzle almost every time he took to the field. Also with strong claims are two Spaniards who conquered Europe with their national team this year: Barcelona's sublime playmaker, Xavi, and Liverpool's unerring goalscorer, Fernando El Niño Torres.

Very keen to relieve Marta of her title will be her Seleção strike partner, Cristiane, German bronze medallists from Beijing, Birgit Prinz and Nadine Angerer, as well as the classy England attacker Kelly Smith.

The first women's award was presented in 2001, going to the USA's Mia Hamm, who would retain the title 12 months later. Germany's Birgit Prinz then took the prize three years running, before Marta claimed top spot in 2006 and 2007.

Our live and free coverage of what is sure to be an emotion-packed day begins at 15.00 (CET), when FIFA.com will bring you the pre-ceremony press conference with the female nominees. This will be followed at 16.00 (CET) with that of their male counterparts. You can see live and direct what the nominees have to say and how they are feeling ahead of the year's biggest awards ceremony - and all for free!

And there is more. Starting from 20.00 (CET), FIFA.com will broadcast in its entirety the Gala awards ceremony from the Zurich Opera House. You will be able to enjoy this feast of music and colour in all its glory as we reprise the footballing highlights of the past year. As well as the winners of the men's and women's awards, which will be announced at the end of the Gala, the recipients of the FIFA Fair Play and the FIFA Presidential awards will also be revealed.

fifa.com

• View Profile
Re: World Player of the Year 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:12:26 PM »
smithy to win

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
Nominee for the FIFA Women's World Player of the Year award, Kelly Smith had only been in Zurich for an hour before she met FIFA.com for an exclusive interview on the eve of the footballing Oscars. The England striker, who has been impressive form for club and country over the past 12 months, was visibly delighted when she was asked how it felt to be named among the world's top five female footballers.

"It's amazing to be here," she told FIFA.com. "I'm thrilled and trying to take everything in. I'm really looking forward to the evening. I'm very proud to be here - and proud to be nominated as one of the best five players in the world - alongside the likes of [Birgit] Prinz and Marta - it's an honour and a great personal achievement."

A member of Arsenal's quadruple winning squad in the 2006/7 season, notching 30 goals in the process, Smith was given an MBE [Member of the Order of the British Empire] by the Queen for her services to football in 2008. However, despite the medals, Smith still rates the FIFA Women's World Cup China 2007 as her personal pinnacle.

"The highlight of my career so far has been playing in the 2007 World Cup and reaching the quarter-finals," she continued. "It was our first major tournament for 12 years and it was a big accomplishment for our team. I'm proud of that and also because of the fact that I scored four goals in the tournament. To play in big stadiums, in front of big crowds and against the best teams and players in the world was an incredible experience."

Now 30, Smith who was named as ‘the best player in the world' by Netherlands coach Vera Pauw following a hat trick two years ago, still has two targets remaining in her career: to be crowned as the best in the world in two different ways!

"For me now, the No1 goal is to win the World Cup," she smiled. "It's every child's dream - and I'm no different. Obviously, I'd love to win the FIFA Women's World Player of the Year Award tonight too!"

fifa.com

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
Sadly the dream will have to wait for another year..... :-\  Marta wins it again

shlj

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:23:27 PM »
Kelly needs to win a tournament at international level to get a chance to win it.
Euro 2009 will do.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »
she's not have to win it just play good on euro 2009

ps they have to chosse a best goalkeepr of the year

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 02:04:17 PM »
The full details:

FIFA World Player of the year - Women's votes by player:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/classic/awards/99/15/27/resultswomenforfifa.combyplayer.pdf

FIFA World Player of the year - Women's votes by coach and captain:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/classic/awards/99/15/26/resultswomenforfifa.com.pdf

Kelly finished in overall 5th place. She got five votes as the best player. The Spanish and Swiss managers named her as the best player. The captains of Australia, Austria and Russia had her as the best as well. The only manager from the UK and Ireland to name Kelly in the top 3 was Northern Ireland in 2nd place. Interesting votes by the UK and Irish captains. Jayne Ludlow didn't pick her at all. Ciara Grant had her in 3rd. N.B. Scotland didn't seem to vote at all this year.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
what I tought is true

our stupid Berlgian coach who does even know a ball is a round abkject voted
marta (ok) bud then prinz (jeez) and angerer
there are other countries then German,y!

Hope desrved so much more

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
Scotland didn't seem to vote at all this year.

Yeh I'm not sure whats going on there?! Also, interesting that there was no vote in the England captain section either, Kelly wasn't captain for all there games last year because she didn't play one of them so I don't understand why whoever was couldn't have voted even if they weren't allowed to vote Kelly top.

Oh well according to this pic she did win: http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/A2803862-E96F-4C69-B8B9-C1D8E122D6A6/157055/KellySmithWPOTY_L.jpg   ;D

Yeh I was just thinking as I watched the press conference replay that Kelly needs to excel at Euro 2009 and hope Germany get knocked out in the group stage/Prinz retiring, oh and Marta maybe announcing she is pregnant and take a year off about now would probably help  :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:35:03 PM by Rach_83 »