Author Topic: Norway's handball women  (Read 44014 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Romania 31 Norway 37
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 08:57:36 PM »
Norway beat Romania this evening.  Katrine Lunde Haraldsen and Isabel Blanco were in the stands for the match.  The win sets up a semifinal on Saturday between Norway and Russia.  This will be the first opportunity on a big stage for a return match between the two nations who contested the Olympic Final in August. 

Spanish supporters were shouting for Norway tonight and the result means that Spain, instead of Romania, will be in the other semifinal, against Germany.

Team:
1 Kari Aalvik Grimsbø, 4 Ragnhild Aamodt, 6 Heidi Løke, 7 Tonje Nøstvold, 8 Karoline Dyhre Breivang, 9 Kristine Lunde, 11 Kari Mette Johansen, 12 Terese Pedersen, 13 Marit Malm Frafjord, 14 Tonje Larsen, 15 Tine Kristiansen, 17 Linn Jørum Sulland, 18 Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth, 23 Camilla Herrem
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:44:28 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: Norway's handball women
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 11:24:56 PM »
Norway will meet Russia in the semifinal on Saturday.  Tonight's opponents, Romania, had the knife at their throats, but it was impossible for them to make an impression.  A Norway team full of confidence made short work of tough opponents and sent them out of the European Cup by 37-31.  Norway last lost a match to Romania in the summer but since then they have had 25 straight wins.

"Norway, Norway", sounded out from the stands.  It came not only from the team's countryfolk but also from the Spanish hanbdall girls.  Thanks to Norway they are in the semifinals as the tournament's big surprise.

Norway are the clear group winners and now will play Russia.  They have had good results against Russia in the last year and must be seen as favourites.  Denmark's trainer Jan Pytlick has Norway as the favourites to win the tournament because of the breadth in their squad.  That was shown against Romania when suddenly players like Linn Jørum Sulland and Camilla Herrem had to step up to the plate and take responsibility.  Sulland scored consistently and took six goals from eight shots, while Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth came up with more goals as usual and is now the tournament's top scorer with 40 goals.  This evening she had seven goals from seven shots.

The Romanians put the stamp on Tonje Larsen from the first attack and Norway needed a little time to take off in the attack.  But they found the solution quickly and Kristine Lunde discovered an open barn-door in the Romanian defence to start the scoring.  The lead grew to 5-2 after five minutes and a desperate Romania were already on the back foot.

Before the match trainer Marit Breivik had discussed with the team the style of Romanian keeper Luminita Dimu, who likes to cut off counterattacks without regard to the many players against her.  This time the goals rained in behind the 83-kg keeper, and with the score at 12-8 she was substituted.

Norway's keeper Terese Pedersen was not quite up to the level of Katrine Lunde Haraldsen and made nine saves from 23 shots in the first 30 minutes.  But Norway led 19-14 at half time.

In the second half the same thing happened as in most other games in Macedonia.  Norway overcame the opponents in physique and running strength.  At one time they had a nine-goal lead and no-one was shouting louder than the Spanish girls.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/11/sport/handball-em_2008_kvinner/handball/4011992/

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:12:16 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »
Purist sports fans don't need to read this :)

Love blossoms in the handball team.

Keeper hero Katrine Lunde Haraldsen closed the goal against Hungary.  Afterwards she got a kiss and some words of praise from husband Tom Reidar Haraldsen.  Haraldsen has played top football at Start, Moss and Viborg but for the last year he has commuted to Sandnes (Stavanger) to play.  Next year he will spend the whole year in Denmark with his wife.  "We are both happy in what we do.  But we are happy with each other too.  Now I will go home to Katrine in Viborg and find a club in Denmark", he said.

But it isn't only keeper Katrine who can be happy with support from a partner.  Twin sister Kristine, captain of Norway, is getting married to Ole Borgersen after it was discussed on the TV programme "Good evening Norway" in Kristiansand in the summer. 

Kari Mette Johansen has also been successful and lives with handball player Marius Hovde Andersen who plays in Drammen and on the national team.  In an earlier interview he admitted they are thinking of a wedding.  "There is more and more hinting but we are waiting a bit", he smiled.  They are hoping to move to Denmark to play professionally.  He is five years younger than Johansen.

Norway's top scorer in Macedonia is Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth who has been with national team player Einar Sand Koren for a few years.  They live in Sandefjord but now have to find a more convenient place because Linn-Kristin plays in Larvik while Einar plays in south-west Oslo.

Camilla Herrem has also found success with a handball player.  Steffen Stegavik plays in Drammen but met Camilla when they both played in Trondheim.  The couple plan to move to Denmark to try their luck as professionals. 

http://www.tv2underholdning.no/gkn/article2469537.ece
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:17:58 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 10:41:10 AM »
Marit Breivik thought the game against Romania on Thursday was 'fantastic' - even though it had little meaning.  Norway were already through to the semifinals and she rested Katrine lunde Haraldsen and Isabel Blanco while some younger less experienced players were given a chance.

"It was a trainer's dream.  We are seeing potential, and hope it will come forward", she said.  Some players took their chance with both hand.  Linn Jørum Sulland used her 20 minutes to score six goals from eight shots.  Camilla Herrem also showed class with three goals from three shots.  Heidi Løke was very good in attack and defence with four goals, and she also earned a penalty.

Terese Pedersen showed herself again as a solid keeper.  Her save rate of 35 percent was not brilliant but she made several saves with ultra-offensive keeper play, going out to tackle players who were aiming to shoot from six metres.  Tine Kristiansen worked hard in defence and had a couple of good shots - she scored two from six attempts.  Tonje Nøstvold scored four out of five penalties and scored another goal from play - all within a total of 1 minute 54 seconds on the pitch.

Romania needed points to go to the semifinal, but they had no chance against Breivik's youth team.  The mood from the Spanish players in the stands became more and more enthusiastic as Norway pulled ahead, because they knew a Norway win would take Spain to the semis.

Pedersen was able to stop attacks by going out and meeting attackers almost nose-to-nose.  "When they shoot from the wings it is more difficult to lob over me if I go out", she said.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=549319

Top scorer

Near full time Norway earned a penalty.  Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth stepped up to the spot and took over the top place in the scoring list from Hungary's Anita Görbicz.  Riegelhuth's 40th goal came in the last seconds of Thursday's match.  "I did not know it would make me top scorer, and I really do not focus on that", she said to VG Nett before starting to prepare for the semifinal.

On Thursday 'Linka' had a 100 percent strike rate, scoring seven goals with seven shots.  Trainer Marit Breivik also did not know about the top scorer situation when she sent Riegelhuth forward for the penalty.  "We haven't got the list here.  If we thought about it we would lose focus on what we should be doing", she said.

Riegelhuth said the team comes first but admitted it was important for her to score the penalty "because I had missed some earlier in the tournament". 

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=545238

Linn Jørum Sulland took full advantage of the chance she was offered in the Norway-Romania match which Norway won 37-31.  The Stabæk player scored six against the team that had been predicted to be one of the contenders for the title.  Instead Romania are out of the tournament.

She said it was easier with no pressure on Norway, who are through to the semis.  "Yes, I feel it was not difficult to come in when we had a good lead over the other teams, but something else worked better that is difficult to put words on.  Timing was better and I got better speed on my shots, which made it easier", said the 24-year-old to VG Nett.

Sulland has had little playing time in previous championships but on Thursday she played a good part of the match in the attack.  She was praised by Marit Breivik.  "Tonje (Nøstvold) and Sulland have been good at shooting in training.  It was important to let them have some good time today, especially Linn", said Breivik to TV 2.

Spain's players were noisy spectators as Norway beat Romania, hoping that they instead of Romania would go to the semis.  Now they could possibly meet Norway in an eventual final.  In the opening match Norway drew with Spain - their only loss of points in this tournament.

Norway took the lead straight away and never gave it up.  But even though they scored, things did not go so well at the back and at 10-7 keeper Terese Pedersen made only her second save.  But Norway took over more and more, and even with many substitutions they kept full control. 

[substitutions: the team has 14 players of which seven are on the pitch and the others are on the bench, but they can be changed and rotated at any time through the match]

The Romania match was Norway's 26th without loss.  Two more and they can call themselves European champions.

Romania - Norway 31-37 (14-19)
Sport Hall SRC
1600 spectators
Norway:
Terese Pedersen, Kari Aalvik Grimsbø -
Ragnhild Aamodt, Heidi Løke 4, Linn Jørum Sulland 5, Karoline Dyhre Breivang 1, Kristine Lunde 3, Kari Mette Johansen 3, Marit Malm Frafjord 2, Tonje Larsen 1, Tine Kristiansen 2, Linn Kristin Riegelhuth 7, Camilla Herrem 3, Tonje Nøstvold 5.
Top scorer Romania: Cristina Giorgiana Neagu 7.
Referees: Baranowski/Lemanowicz, Poland.
Suspensions: Romania 3 x 2 min., Norge 4 x 2 min.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=545234
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:18:53 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »
Katrine Lunde Haraldsen is fully relaxed about today's semifinal in the European Cup.  She had a day off on Thursday when Norway beat Romania and won their group so that Russia would be the opponents in the semi.  VG Nett met a totally relaxed keeper the day before she and the others compete to appear in the Final against Germany or Spain on Sunday.

"I would not have known it's semifinal", said Lunde Haraldsen.  "When I relax I don't have to think", she smiled.  She is expecting a lot of long shots against her on Saturday and was preparing for it on Friday.

Every keeper has their own way of preparing.  "I don't do repetition very much, I just watch a few vidoes".  She will be a key player in the semifinal and hopefully in the Final.  Without getting very stressed about it.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=549363

Heidi Løke is on her first trip with the handall team, and will play in today's European Cup semifinal on her 26th birthday.  "It's a dream come true.  It's always good to watch the national team on TV, but it's crazy to be here with them", she said to VG Nett.

Before the tournament Løke thought that as a first-timer she would be at the back of the queue for playing time.  But she has elbowed her way forward.  After six games she has claimed 15 goals in 110 minutes of play.  She has also been like a wall in defence, and has been uncompromising with those who seek to break through the Norwegian line.

Marit Malm Frafjord has so far been Norway's first choice for the position and has had twice as much playing time.  But it's a bit more tricky now for the Byåsen star, who is hoping to play as a professional in Denmark next year.  She has scored seven goals so far.

We spoke with Løke and found out that she is not really interested in statistics.  "I have never thought that way.  I just enjoy playing", she said, and her body language said that she does not like to be compared with others. 

On Sunday the family came on a visit.  Son Alexander (16 months) and partner Leif Gautestad (45) stayed at the players' hotel.  Now they have gone home and she has travelled with the team to Skopje.  "I think I will manage without them but it will be tough", said Løke.

She has a technique in attack that is very like that of her brother Frank.  He plays on the men's national team.  Heidi has the same skills.  "We are a very competitive family.  I am the fifth child out of seven, and the first six were born within seven years.  So we are very close and competitive.  But we also keep very well in contact", said Heidi Løke.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=549360

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:36:22 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
Half time score Norway 12 Russia 7
Norway went to 6-0 before Russia scored.  Skipper Kristine Lunde scored from her own half of the pitch.  Shortly after, sister Katrine, the keeper, scored a goal.  Russia got back to 10-7 in the first half.
After 45 minutes 18-11
Final score 24-18
Scorers: Riegelhuth 5, Johansen 3, Larsen 3, Sulland 3, Lunde 2, Løke 2, Kristiansen 2, Breivang 1, Haraldsen 1, Aamodt 1, Frafjord 1

Spain will face Norway in the the Final after their surprise 32-29 win over Germany earlier in the day.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:51:02 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »
Katrine Lunde Haraldsen scored in the 24-18 win over Russia today. 

Norway's 28-year-old super-keeper got herself on to the scoring list when Russia were soundly beaten and sent out of the European Cup.  It was after 26 minutes when Lunde Haraldsen took the ball and saw that the Russian keeper Inna Suslina was a long way out.  The keeper took a chance and sent the ball over the whole field and into Russia's goal before Suslina could recover. 

"I am pleased with the goal.  I saw Suslina a long way out and just gave it a go", said Katrine Lunde Haraldsen.  It was the keeper's second goal for the national team, the first coming last year against Denmark in a training match.  "I made a bad pass to Kari Mette Johansen just before, so I had no desire to miss this one".

Haraldsen's goal put Norway into a 10-6 and came in a period when they were really taking control of the match after having a little trouble.  The start was fantastic with a 7-1 scoreline when Russia got their second goal, a penalty.  The first was also penalty, which says a lot for Norway's defenders.  But then Marit Breivik made a lot of substitutions and Russia came back in for a while. 

In the Norwegian attack there was again a lot to smile about.  Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth kept her position as Norway's top scorer with five goals including some impressive cannon-shots from nine metres.

In the Final on Sunday at 16.30 (UK time) Norway will meet Spain, the only team they have dropped points to.  "We deserve to win", said trainer Marit Breivik.

The Russian trainer was philosophical at the post-match press conference.  Asked how he felt, he said, "how would you feel if you had just been run over by a car?", but he was smiling about it.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=549439
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:22:11 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Champions of Europe - again . .
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 10:36:15 PM »
Norway 34 Spain 21: Norway won with a 13-goal margin over Spain in tonight's Final of the European Championship in Skopje, Macedonia. 

The match was decided in the second half when the Spanish players had no more to give and Norway stepped up their play after having led by one goal at half time.  At 20-15 the Spanish star Marta Mangue had a good scoring chance but Norway keeper Haraldsen saved quickly and started a counterattack that Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth placed in for 21-15.  At that stage Spain looked finished.

Tonje Nøstvold was Norway's top scorer with seven out of seven penalties.  But Spain started strongly and held Norway to 8-8 during the first half.  Spain's quick and mobile play stressed the Norwegians and they got into poor situations in trying to finish.  In addition Katrine Lunde Haraldsen saved next to nothing in the first half, with four saves from 12 shots being well below her best.  At 12-12 Haraldsen went on to the bench and Nøstvold went in so that Norway could use a risky strategy with seven outplayers.  Unfortunately Noelia Oncina got the ball and played it into an open goal.

After the break there was no doubt about who was best and Norway drove over the Spaniards.  Larsen was more effective than earlier in the championship and she scored six goals. 

This was Marit Breivik's 13th championship in her 14 years as chief trainer.  She has led the team to six gold medals in that time.  This European championship title is Norway's third in a row, and seven of the players have been at all three:  Ragnhild Aamodt, Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth, Terese Pedersen, Kristine Lunde, Katrine Lunde Haraldsen, Kari Mette Johansen and Karoline Dyhre Breivang.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555345

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:39:21 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »
Full results from the last weekend:

Final:
Norway – Spain 34-21 (13-12)

Bronze match:
Russia – Germany 24-21 (17-11)

Saturday, semifinals:
Spain – Germany 32-29 (12-13)
Norway – Russia 24-18 (12-7)

5th-place playoff:
Romania – Croatia 36-33 after extra time(17-15, 29-29)

Star team from the championship:
Katrine Lunde Haraldsen (Norway, keeper), Valentina Elisei-Ardean (Romania, left wing), Tonje Larsen (Norway, left back), Kristine Lunde (Norway, midback), Begona Fernandez (Spain, lineplayer), Grit Jurack (Germany rightback), Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth (Norway, right wing).

Most valued player: Kristine Lunde (Norway)

www.ba.no

Tonight is the banquet and the party.  The girls have to be up at 6am to go home so it's probable that many of them just won't bother going to bed.

www.rb.no

Lots of video clips from TV 2 tonight:  http://www.tv2sporten.no/handball/em/article2472985.ece

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:44:33 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Partying through the night
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »
Skopje:  Partying, dance and song.  Norway's handball players celebrated in style through the night in Macedonia.

"Just now I am on a cloud.  There hasn't been enough time to celebrate", said Camilla Herrem to VG Nett arriving at the banquet in a fine dress.  She took the title in her first championship with the national team.  After a goal in the Final she started celebrating at the final whistle and was still on a high when she arrived at the Alexander Palace Hotel in Skopje after a pit stop at the players' hotel to change.  "It's totally indescribable.  I am looking forward to the evening here and am going to relax with the girls", said Herrem.

Isabel Blanco's tournament has been up and down.  She was injured at the start and missed a couple of matches in Macedonia.  In the semifinal against Russia she was out, but in the Final when Spain was beaten she was well and truly brilliant.  "I was hugely relieved when it was all over.  I was so glad I had scream to let it all out", she said to VG Nett.  She was a big favourite with the photographers with stylish hair and a dress that suited her perfectly.  It was also perfect when after 47 minutes she snatched the ball and played Johansen forward to run a counterattack.  She was celebrating before Johansen put the ball into goal.  "It was a little detail I have trained for for a long time.  When it succeeds in a match like this it is wonderful", said Blanco.

On Monday morning the plane back to Norway via Vienna leaves at 07.10, so the girls partying at 22.30 were committed to an early start.  They are expecting to reach Gardermoen at 13.00.  Everyone is flying back to Oslo including the ones that live in Denmark.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555365

Photos from the Final: http://www1.vg.no/bildespesial/show/spesial.php?id=6569

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:50:20 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »
Heidi Løke has always looked up to her older brother Frank (28).  Now the 26-year-old is looking forward to seeing him.  "Now Frank is going to hear about it.  Guess what I will have with me next time we meet", she said, holding her European champion's medal. 

Frank is a line-player for Norway's men's team, and debuted in the national team in 2001 - long before Heidi.  This has been her first championship.  "It is the best thing that has happened to me in handball.  Only one thing has beaten it", said Løke, the mother of Alexander (16 months).  Not only has she taken the European title, but she has been without doubt the best line-player in Norway. 

On Saturday, the day of the semifinal and Heidi Løke's 26th birthday, she appeared on "Good morning Norway" when her mother, sister and Alexander were in the studio.  "It's great to be valued", she said.

At the beginning, with four older brothers, it took Heidi a long while to discover she was a girl.  When she was two she learned to go to the toilet by herself, and with all those brothers it was only natural for her to stand up while taking a pee.  That was when her mother knew she would have to start teaching Heidi about being a girl.  Ball games were always big in the Løke family and when a ball was thrown in there were seven youngsters in competition to take it.  "Usually Frank won", said Løke.   

Løke is hoping Marit Breivik will continue as the chief trainer and admits she would not have been in the national team without Breivik's regime.  "It is Marit and her trainer team who have made it possible for me to combine motherhood with the national handball team", said Løke.  In the Final she earned five penalties for Norway (and gave one away), as well as scoring two goals.  "It is good to see how Heidi has played in the tournament", said Breivik.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555361       
http://www.rb.no/lokal_sport/article3990064.ece   

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:03:49 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Slept on the plane after all-night party
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »
Gardermoen:  It was a tired handball crew that landed back in Norway yesterday as the new European champions.  Eight matches in a week and a half have left their mark on them - and the all-night party cannot be cleared of blame either.

At 06.15 their bus left for the airport at Skopje, which was about the time the party finished.  "We went just about straight from the party to the airport", said Linn Jørum Sulland to Dagbladet.no.

Karoline Dyhre Breivang was also a bit tired when she arrived at Gardermoen, but most of all she was happy.  "We forgot to sleep last night.  We didn't give up until it was time to go to our rooms and fetch our bags", said Dyhre Breivang to Dagbladet.no.  The girls first went to the official European Championship banquet before they went on to a private arrangement organised by the Norwegian Handball Association.  This was a bit more lively than the official party. 

"There was no sleep during the night, but plenty on the plane", said the tournament's top scorer, Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth.  At the airport in Skopje two of the players lost bags with their medals in, but they were lucky.  Kirsten Birkeland from the Handall Association had the bags under control and brought them on the next plane.

The team first won Olympic Gold in August and on Sunday they followed it up with another triumph.  Only Denmark has won two major titles in one season before now. 

Success has brought its rewards.  Every player receives 60,000 kroner (£6000) for the European title, plus 25,000 kroner each for the two championships they have now automatically qualified for - the World Cup in 2009 and the European Cup in 2010.  In addition to this 110,000 kroner, they had 60,000 kroner for the Olympic win as well.

"I haven't thought what to spend it on and I might well save it in these times of crisis", said Kari Mette Johansen to Dagbladet.no.

Linn Jørum Sulland has no thoughts of putting the money in a high-interest account.  "It's Christmas soon, so it's something to be happy about", she said - with her boyfriend standing beside her.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/15/sport/handball-em_2008_kvinner/handball/4045660/

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:30:06 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »
Karoline Dyhre Breivang takes the rough with the smooth in her duties as a player on Norway's handball team.  The rewards this year have been high, with the Olympic Gold Medal in August followed by the European Championship title in December. 

In both tournaments Norway faced Russia, and Breivang's job was to mark the Russians' fearsome Elena Polenova.  At 198 cm (that's 6ft 7in) Polenova is almost a foot taller than Breivang and she weighs 96 kg (15 stone).

Karoline gave some tips to Norway's TV 2 viewers on how to tackle a job that most would flinch from.

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=38200707 scroll down to 12.12.08 and click on "Bent Svele hjelper Karo".
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:22:05 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Larvik takes revenge for last year's defeat
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 10:18:57 PM »
Larvik turned tonight's Norwegian Championship Final round against Byåsen at the last minute to win by 30 to 29.

Larvik's international handball players have won just about everything there is to win in 2008, but the early signs were that they would not be pleased with today's result against the opponents from Trondheim at Oslo Spektrum. 

Byåsen led the Final for all the first half and large parts of the second, but Larvik came back to win as the clock ticked towards the finish, to take revenge for the 2007 Final when the same two teams played and Byåsen won.

The club from Vestfold are champions for the 9th time, with veteran Tonje Larsen having played in all nine!  "It took a while.  We led twice, and one of the times was at the end of the match", said Larsen to TV 2.

With the other international players at Larvik Tonje Larsen has had a fantastic year.  In 2008 they have won six of a possible six titles including Olympic Gold and the European Championship.  "This was a delight.  But it was tough.  Byåsen were good", said Larvik player Heidi Løke.  In spite of Larvik's status as favourites, Byåsen led by five goals for a while in the first half, and went in at half time with a 15-14 lead.

Larvik turned it round in the second half and went into a 20-18 lead.  But the teams followed each other closely and ten minutes before the end Byåsen were 25-24.  Three minutes from the end it was 28-28.

Then Larvik's international players acted decisively.  First Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth scored on a penalty, then Heidi Løke took it to 30-28 from the line.  Vigdis Hårsaker pulled one back for Byåsen but the Trondheim team had to concede defeat on a poor goal.  "It is good to know they are not that far ahead of us.  I think they were after revenge from last year - but it isn't so long until the league starts.  There will be time to repay them in January", said Byåsen player Ida Alstad to TV 2.

"It was exhausting.  But we got a grip and never let it go", said Larvik skipper Tonje Larsen.

Larvik - Byåsen 30-29 (14-15)
Oslo Spektrum
5487 spectators
Goals:
Larvik: Heidi Løke 8, Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth 8, Tine Stange 5, Tonje Larsen 4, Karoline Dyhre Breivang 2, Sara Breistøl, Tine Rustad Kristiansen, Kari Mette Johansen.
Byåsen: Camilla Herrem 6, Ida Alstad 6, Marte Snorroeggen 5, Marit Malm Frafjord 4, Vigdis Hårsaker 4, Inga Berit Svestad 4.
Suspensions: none.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=539304 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:49:43 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Lunde twins Danish Champions
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 09:29:51 AM »
Norwegian handball twins Kristine Lunde and Katrine Lunde Haraldsen continued their gold run yesterday when their club Viborg won the Danish championship in Copenhagen by 32 to 23.

After their Olympic and European titles with Norway, they are now champions of Denmark. 

Vejen were never really in the Cup Final after the first half.  Viborg secured the club's third title in a row, leading 13-12 at half time.

http://www.fvn.no/sport/handball/article637192.ece

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:31:34 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »
This photo of Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth, Tonje Nøstvold and Gro Hammerseng at the party in Beijing after they won the Olympic title is one of the top 30 sports photos in Norway this year.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 01:19:24 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
The day the ref's luck ran out
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »
Referees are usually a discreet part of any game, but handball referee Ida Gullaksen got more than she bargained for in Montenegro when she broke her jaw in an episode that left her frightened for her life and left two people without a job - all in the space of a few hours as an innocent referee.  In a week in Montenegro the referee from Rælingen experienced more than many people might expect in a lifetime of travel.

It started with a World Cup qualification match in the mountain town of Pljevlja in Montenegro before Christmas when the referee, with her colleague Kjersti Arntsen, took charge of a game between Italy and Bulgaria.  "An Italian player ran out into the attack, but my colleague awarded a penalty and I started to run across towards the goal.  Unfortunately we collided", said Gullaksen.

The Rælingen ref was helped out of the hall by a local guide, a nurse and a policeman.  "An ambulance was waiting outside, but it was obvious the driver was drunk.  He was therefore arrested by the policeman and I had to wait for another car to take me to the hospital", said Gullaksen.

At the hospital the care was "not quite up to Norwegian standards, to say the least.  The patients smoked as they waited for treatment, but then when the doctor came to examine me, he was immediately suspended for lighting a cigarette in the hospital", said the referee.

The result was another trip in an ambulance, to a hospital in the capital Podgorica.  "It normally takes three and a half hours but the local driver knew a way through the mountains that took two hours.  The road was very rough, it was raining and snowing outside, and he was driving, smoking and talking on the phone - terrible conditions", said Ida Gullaksen.  She feared for her life.

At the second hospital she was placed next to a man that needed a facial operation.  "The doctor said he could operate on me next, but I would have to be there 15 days.  It was never a possibility - I would never have let them operate on me", said the referee.

So she was bandaged over her whole head for security.  "I went round like that for three days, until I came back to Gardermoen and got checked out at Ullevaal hospital.  They laughed at the bandaging and said it was totally unnecessary.  But I can only laugh about the whole thing", said Gullaksen.

With Kjersti Arntsen Gullaksen referees elite handball for men and women.  After an operation back home in Norway she is off sick for four weeks and can start refereeing in the middle of January.

Gullaksen emphasizes she is not at all bitter after her adventure in Montenegro.  Since then she has had many nice messages from people in the Montenegro handball association and does not rule out another trip there.  "We have been invited there again, and there is a good chance we will go", smiled Ida Gullaksen.   

Wegard Bakkehaug http://www.rb.no/lokal_sport/article4017630.ece
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:04:05 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:42 AM »
No offence Alan - but do you ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself here  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »
Hi twmcat and thanks for being the first person to reply :)  there are 594 reads on this thread at the moment, so some people do read it even if they don't reply. 

I tried handball when the big tournaments were on, to see if anyone would read it.  I don't mind doing it, to spread the word . .
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:35:31 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

shlj

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »
I don't think Handball is well devellopped in England.
For example, in every schoolground in France you have a handball pitch used for footie at playtime  :) and it is taught in PE as it is a cheap sport as well. This is a very good indoor sport and you can develop a good tactical sense that is useful.
This  due to similarities with football like counter attacking and positional attacking "attaque placee"

We have had a fair bit of success at male level since the Barcelona Olympics :

1992 Olympics bronze
1993 WC silver
1995 WC gold
1997 WC bronze
2001 WC gold
2006 EC gold
2008 OL gold

Nothing at female level though, we have a few good players but nothing else.