Author Topic: Norway's handball women  (Read 41181 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Lunde twins will probably be split up
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54:16 PM »
Kristine Lunde-Borgersen's future is uncertain.  After their Danish club Viborg hit financial trouble Norway's handball twins have had to move.  Katrine Lunde Haraldsen has signed for the Hungarian club Györ, but sister Kristine, the Norwegian national team captain, has nothing fixed yet.

Top keeper Haraldsen went to Viborg with a on offer of 1.2 million kroner (£130,000) per year, but when the club suffered difficulties the pay was severely cut, and now she is off to Hungary.

Kristine is up for offers.  "I am not ruling anything out", said the hard-shooting back player.  "I don't necessarily want to go to a club just because Katrine is there".

"How will it be if you are not in the same club?" - "It's OK, we can still be friends", smiled Katrine.

Video: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/handball/lundetvillingene-kan-bli-skilt-3174787.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:04:20 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
Re: Norway's handball women
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2010, 11:59:58 PM »
Riegelhuth the world's best? Interesting statement...
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2010, 12:37:19 AM »
So someone reads this . . . I need to check :)
Later . . . it says that here:
http://www.oblad.no/sport/riegelhuth-karet-til-verdens-beste-handballspiller-1.3909607
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:42:09 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Larvik could make history
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2010, 12:08:05 AM »
Larvik players think it will be difficult to reach the final of the Champions League, but were charging their batteries on the boat to Denmark today.  "It's really great to take the boat to Denmark, to miss having lots of intermediate stops as we usually have when we play in Europe", said Karoline Dyhre Breivang to TV2 Sports.

With the rest of the squad she is on the way to Viborg for Saturday's semifinal.  "They are a good team and reigning champions", said the Larvik and Norway star.

On Wednesday Larvik took the Norwegian league title with a 37-32 win over Nordstrand.  Now they have a unique possibility to get to a historic Champions League Final.  "It's what we fight for all year.  We have not done that well in the Champions League in the last years.  Now it would be great to go the whole way in the top competition", said Dyhre Breivang.

"It would mean a tremendous lot", said trainer Karl Erik Bøhn.  "We can break a barrier and show we are one of the world's best handball teams.  We have had the margins against us before", he said.

The match on Saturday is on TV 2 Sport.  A week later the return match will be played at Larvik Arena.  "It's 50-50", said Bøhn.

video with Tonje Larsen and Karo: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/handball/larvik-kan-bli-historiske-3179214.html

Grit Jurak will be back on the Viborg bench on Saturday, nine weeks after giving birth to her son.  "We'll see, I'll be on the bench anyway so there could be a few minutes for me", said Jurak.  "I have trained for two or three weeks and am building up carefully.  Now it's going well".

Viborg will have Byåsen's Marit Malm Frafjord playing with them soon.  The 6ft Norwegian international will join them for next season.

http://msn.tv2sporten.no/handball/stjernespiller-gjoer-comeback-mot-larvik-3179591.html

Larvik photo galleries: http://www.op.no/larvikhk/

Photo: Living up to her name:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:30:14 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
So someone reads this . . . I need to check :)
Later . . . it says that here:
http://www.oblad.no/sport/riegelhuth-karet-til-verdens-beste-handballspiller-1.3909607

Hm, right. The people have spoken  :o (She isn't on the nomination list for this year though )

Viborg were too strong btw. 48-53 over two matches.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name / He writes - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Gro to return to national team?
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »
Gro Hammerseng will make a comeback for Norway, thinks Larvik trainer Karl Erik Bøhn.  "Here in Norway the league is a lot easier than in Denmark.  She will need the national team to maintain her level.  A clear win-win situation", said the trainer.  The 30-year-old has signed for Larvik and is moving back to Norway.

"I have used the time since the Olympics to get my body in order.  After seven years in the national team I needed a break.  Just concentrating on club matches in Denmark has been good.  Ankles and knees are good, and the free weekends when the others are playing international matches have been a delight", said Hammerseng.

"But it isn't long until you will have every weekend free?" - "Yes, that's true and part of the thinking.  I will give my decision in a short time and obviously I would like to play for Norway, the only question is whether my health will stand it".

"Are you disappointed Larvik lost?" - "no, Viborg is a good team with plenty of winning instinct and authority.  They deserve to go to the final.  Larvik has many good and exciting players".

"Pehaps you and Katja Nyberg will make the difference?" - "I can't say, but I feel Larvik needs a slightly broader squad", said Hammerseng in her usual decisive way.

National team trainer Thorir Hergeirsson lives in hope of getting Gro Hammerseng back into the national team.  "The answer is simple.  Gro is a player all national teams in the world would have a use for.  She will give me an answer in the first half of May".

Trygve Sundbø http://www.vg.no/sport/haandball/artikkel.php?artid=10000154

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:03:53 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Gro and Katya meet the national team
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
Gro Hammerseng and Katja Nyberg were back at a meeting of Norway's handball women on Thursday, two years after winning Gold with them in the Beijing Olympics.  Now the team chief Thorir Hergeirsson is hoping that they will be available up to the London Olympics in 2012.  "I'm glad they are back.  They are two good players and I sense they are very motivated and ready to contribute", he said to TV 2 Sports.

"What is the background?" - "We must take things in the right order.  There are both European Cup and World Cup tournaments before the Olympics.  But they have decided to play at Larvik for the next two years.  It means they will be in a top environment and it's ok to think ahead to 2012.  At the same time they have had many challenges with injuries, but we will be handling that properly", said Hergeirsson.

Katja Nyberg says she will give the national team a chance and see how the body holds out.  "It look very good just now, I am excited.  After Beijing it looked a long way to another Olympic games, but now it's only two years, so if I can stay free of injury and good enough I won't be able to say no", she said.

Gro Hammerseng does not want to think that far ahead but rules nothing out.  "I have never been good at looking at the long-term.  I live in the present, I have always done that, but you never know", said Norway's former captain.  "London 2012 feels a long way off.  I am thinking short-term but it is not impossible".   

Harald Bredeli
Article and video: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/handball/vil-ha-gro-og-katja-til-ol-i-2012-3202654.html
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Lunde-Borgersen to Austria
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »
Kristine Lunde-Borgersen will go into a playmaker role in her new club Hypo Niederosterreich in Vienna.  The 30-year-old signed a one-year contract on Tuesday with options for more seasons.

Norway's handball captain comes from the Danish club Viborg, where she played the Champions League final at the weekend.  Her twin sister Katrine Lunde Haraldsen is going to Hungary to join Györ.

This will be the first time that the twins from Kristiansand have not played on the same team, but it is not a long way from Vienna to Györ so they will be able to meet often.

Lunde-Borgersen has won a number of titles in Denmark.  In her new club she will replace Oh Seong-ok who is going home to South Korea.  "Kristine is a world-class player and the best in her position.  Many clubs were out after her, and we are very pleased she has chosen us.  We are sure she will replace Oh in the playmker role very well", said trainer Gunnar Prokop to ehfcl.com.

NTB http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/sorlandet/sport_nrk_sorlandet/1.7120566

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norway beach handball world champions
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
Norway took the World championship title in beach handball in Antalya, Turkey, by beating Denmark 2-0 in the final.

Both Norway and Denmark were second in their groups.  Denmark beat favourites Brazil in the semifinals, while Norway won over Ukraine.

In last year's championship in Norway lost to Italy in the final, while Norway took bronze in 2008 after beating Russia.

This year Brazil had the consolation of bronze medals by beating Ukraine in the playoff.  The hosts Turkey beat Croatia for 4th place.

http://msn.tv2sporten.no/handball/norge-verdensmestere-i-strandhaandball-3238612.html

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:28:21 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Norway beach handball world champions
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2010, 05:46:17 AM »
Norway took the World championship title in beach handball in Antalya, Turkey, by beating Denmark 2-0 in the final.

Gratulerer til det norske kvinnelandslaget i strandhåndball! 8)

Congratulations to the Norwegian women's national beach handball team!

It looks like we will also be hosting the Beach Handball National Championships in Southern California at the end of August:

http://usateamhandball.org/news/2010/04/02/save-the-date-2010-usa-beach-handball-national-championships/35056

USA Team Handball today announced inaugural Beach Handball National Championships will take place Aug. 28-29, 2010, in Huntington Beach, CA, a city in Orange County known for its sand, sun and surfing.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:33:15 AM by norge95 »
Bente Nordby - Verdens Beste Keeper

Vær snill og rett feilene mine
(Please correct my mistakes)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Cecilie Leganger signs for Larvik
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
Norwegian keeper Cecilie Leganger signed a three-year contract on Tuesday to play for Larvik Håndballklubb.  "It's huge for me to come back to Norway to represent Larvik after seven years abroad.  Larvik is a club with good sporting traditions that I have a lot of respect for.  I am looking forward to playing for Larvik", she said in a press statement.

Leganger has played under Anja Andersen's regime at FC Copenhagen for the last two seasons.  At Larvik she will have competition between the posts with another veteran, Danish keeper Lene Rantala.

Larvik trainer Karl Erik Bøhn is pleased with his new signing.  Earlier in the year Larvik also signed Gro Hammerseng, Katja Nyberg and Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth.  "It's a great honour to be at the front in what we have achieved and what we want to create in the future here at Larvik.  With these profiled players gathered in one team you can see that hard work, coincidence and patience eventually pay off.  Now the challenge is to be as good in practice as we are on paper and turn a very good club into the world's best handball club.  We have the possibility of taking the next steps towards our goals", he said.

"It's especially good to see that the players who have been in Larvik over a long period have created a team that in its results and development environment make it attractive for top players who up to now have lifted the level in foreign clubs.  It is definitely not finance that has brought these top players to Larvik", said the trainer.

Leganger has for the last few years been studying medicine when not playing handball.  The 35-year-old will be a Larvik player at least until 2013.  The club has a goal of winning a championship in a short time.  Earlier on Tuesday they found out that they will meet Romanian club Oltchim Valcea in this year's group play.

Leganger is a highly experienced keeper who was voted the world's best keeper as an 18-year-old.  She debuted on the national team in 1993 but has not played with the flag on her shirt since 2003.  The player from Bergen was voted the best keeper in the Danish league every season from 2005 to 2009, and the best keeper at the World Cup in 1993, 1995, 1999 and 2001.

NTB http://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/Leganger-til-Larvik-1119706.html
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2010, 01:19:12 AM »
Beach ... handball?

Oh, my.
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Lunde-Borgersen pregnant
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2010, 12:30:26 AM »
Norway's handball captain Kristine Lunde-Borgersen was presented as a Vipers-Kristiansand player at a press conference on Monday.  She is moving home immediately.

Lunde-Borgersen has signed a two-year contract with the club after her new contract with Austrian club Hypo was cancelled when the outgoing trainer was adjudged unauthorised to sign new players.  

The back has many good memories of Vipers and was voted the club's best player in the 2003-4 season.  After that she transferred to Aalborg in Denmark and then to Viborg until they hit financial troubles earlier this year.

Her press-conference went quiet after she explained her condition: "I have a little baby in my stomach".  There was applause followed by smiles and a stunned silence.  She did not wish to say when the child is due and said she will not be playing this season.  Her husband continues to live in Kristiansand.  

Article by Anders Eid and video: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/handball/gravid-kristine-lundeborgersen-til-vaag-3258081.html
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:37:58 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Norway defeats Sweden
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
Norway defeated Sweden 31-23 in their second match of the GF World Cup that is being played in Aarhus, Denmark this week.

Norge banket Sverige

Norway beat Sweden

Norway opened brilliantly against Sweden, and at one point led 7-1. At the break it was 16-11 to Norway, and it ended with an eight goal victory - 31-23.

Thus Thorir Hergeirsson's girls went from defeat to Romania on Tuesday. Against the Swedes, Norway had complete control throughout the match.

"It's a part of the job to cope with both victory and defeat. We had a very good effort on the things we focused on. I would particularly like to highlight that we became more dynamic in our defensive play. We have given priority to be most at 6-0. Tonje Nøstvold has taken some important steps in terms of defense lately, and it is alright to watch," said Thorir Hergeirsson to TV 2 Sport.

See the full interview in the video window above.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:28:00 PM by norge95 »

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Norway defeats Russia
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2010, 10:51:40 PM »
After trailing by as many as 7 goals in the first half, Norway outscored Russia 19-6 in the second half and coasted to a 30-21 victory over the 2009 World Champions. With today's victory Norway has advanced to the semifinal round of the GF World Cup and will next play tournament host Denmark on Saturday.

Norge lå under med sju mål - vant med ni

Offline Samuel Vimes

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
Comeback and a half  :o

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Norway defeats Denmark
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Norway's women beat Denmark 24-19 in their Handball World Cup semifinal in Århus Saturday. Norway led 15-9 at half-time.

Handball: Denmark - Norway 19-24
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:30:54 PM by norge95 »

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
High drama in Aarhus
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
With two minutes to go in the championship match Romania led Norway 24-22.  Heidi Løke scored at the 58:15 mark to cut Romania's lead in half and set the stage for what turned out to be a thrilling finish.

Norwegian keeper Kathrine Lunde Haraldsen kept Norway in the match by making two huge saves including one on a penalty with just 15 seconds left.  Unfortunately for Norway the Romanian keeper was equal to the task and made two big saves herself including one on a breakaway scoring attempt by Løke with little over a minute to play.

After Haraldsen saved the penalty shot, Norway's final shot of the match was taken by Ida Alstad with just five seconds remaining.  After the shot was saved, time ran out for the Norwegians and the final score of the match was 24-23.

Here is the link to the TV 2 match report and video of the final two minutes:

http://www.tv2sporten.no/handball/se-sluttdramaet-da-norge-tapte-i-world-cup-3299063.html
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:23:42 PM by norge95 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
Byåsen captain Camilla Herrem scored three goals against Levanger in their 21-21 draw in the Norwegian handball league, and was not impressed with her team's performance.  "We are far too nice.  We can't go right through a match without a single sending-off.  Before the match we talked about what to do about Levanger's shooters, but then we were pussycats", she said to adressa.no.

With less than two minutes to go Byåsen were trailing by 18-21.  "I thought, am I going to have to phone Steffen at home and say we lost to Levanger? but luckily we avoided that", said the skipper.

At the weekend Byåsen travel to Turkey to play in the Europacup.  Herrem thinks they will have to sharpen up.  "If we play like that in Turkey we can kiss the cup goodbye.  We must start being tougher".

Christian Stendal http://www.adressa.no/sport/handball/article1553025.ece

Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Keeper show in Tromsø
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
Norway keeper Kari Aalvik Grimsbø made plenty of good saves against Iceland in Friday's 36-14 win.  The countdown to the European Cup started without a lot of excitement.  

First-choice keeper Katrine Lunde Haraldsen stood down with a small injury, so the Esbjerg professional stepped in.  It could not have gone much better.  She stopped 13 of 17 shots on goal in the first 25 minutes, with an impressive save percentage of 76%.  "Kari has developed her game a lot since she went to Denmark", said trainer Thorir Hergeirsson to NTB.

Aalvik Grimsbø left the Trondheim club Byåsen in the summer after many seasons there.  She has been a little in Lunde Haraldsen's shadow in her time with the Norway squad but made some important saves as a substitute in the 2008 Olympic Final.

On Saturday and Sunday Norway will play Serbia and old rivals Denmark.  Russia and Norway continue as favourites for the European Cup, ahead of Romania, with Montenegro as the outsiders.

Norway's European Cup opens in Lillehammer on December 7 against France, with Slovenia and Hungary also in their group.  The three best will advance, with games played in the same place.  The semifinals and final will be played in Herning, Denmark.

Norway have won 23 of their last 24 European Cup matches, with only a 21-all draw against Spain in the opening match in 2008 spoiling the record.

Espen Hartvig http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/article5396752.ece

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:58:15 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.