Author Topic: Norway's handball women  (Read 41192 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norway's handball women
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
Lillestrøm: Norway 32 Denmark 25.  They are the country's most popular sports team.  This evening the handball women will fill Skedsmo Hall for the game against Russia.

Yesterday a crowd of 5230 in Gjøvik saw Norway beat Denmark.  This evening's arrangers could have done the same at Skedsmo but have limited the crowd to 4000 for security.  While Norway's handball clubs are fighting bankruptcy, Olympic gold medals from Beijing have produced huge interest for Norway's handball team. 

Norway trainer Marit Breivik is concentrating on building up a team for the European Cup rather than winning matches by as much as possible.  "In the European Cup there are eight matches in 11 days.  We must not wear our players out now".  So Tonje Larsen and Karoline Dyhre Breivang were taken off in the second half when Norway led by 12 goals.  If she had not done that the lead could have been a lot more.

Yesterday Larsen put the ball in the net time after time in the first half.  "I had to do what I had been ordered to do", said the Larvik player after the game against Denmark.  Tonje Larsen began on the national handball team many years ago but was out for years with bad knees, when she only played in defence at club level.  On yesterday's form she is one of the world's best, and not least most complete, players.

But she is not alone, even without Olympic veterans Gro Hammerseng, Katja Nyberg and Else Marthe Sørlie Lybekk in the team just now.  Katrine Lunde Haraldsen is the world's best keeper and time after time she manages a save rate of over 50 percent, which she also produced against the Danes.  Twin sister Kristine Lunde has been made the captain in Hammerseng's absence.  Karoline Dyhre Breivang is iron hard in defence while Marit Malm Frafjord is taking more responsibility now.

Tempo is Norway's biggest force in attack.  Kari Mette Johansen and Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth can leave anyone behind and are unstoppable on their day.  Even faster is Tine Rustad Kristiansen.  The player from Fjellhammer has achieved a place in the team after a long wait.  Time after time at Larvik she has show international class and Marit Breivik has now given her the chance to show what she can do.  Turbo speed and technique are her strengths.  Tomorrow 4000 in Skedsno Hall will be hoping she succeeds.   

Per Kristian Torvik http://www.rb.no/lokal_sport/article3940836.ece

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:08:55 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
Re: Norway's handball women
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:28 AM »
They are an amazing team, i followed them through out the beijing olympics, its amazing to see women respected and honoured in sport (above their male counterparts) the way these women are, and deservingly so.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
Rach - They were great in the Olympics.  Johansen's goal after 22 minutes was the best in the Final but I could only appreciate it when they played it in slo-mo :)

Here's another piece about them:

Norway 33 Russia 23:  the handball girls gave 4007 spectators a party in the Skedsmohallen at what was a return match from the Olympic Final in August.  Now it only remains to settle down in front of the flat screen to enjoy the national team's hunt for the European championship in Macedonia before Christmas.

"When we get the best from everybody we can stand up against any opponent.  But it's a constant effort", said national team chief Marit Breivik after the Russians had been outclassed once again.

She preferred not to talk about the team's chances in Macedonia but Germany, Romania and Hungary are better than the Russians and Danes showed in the weekend's four-nations tournament.  "We gave away some easy goals at the end but with a little physical training we will be well prepared", said the chief.

Tine Rustad Kristiansen is one of the new players brought in by Breivik as replacements for others who are out at present.  "I was most pleased with the first half.  It was good to play on my home pitch and I had a role I am used to at club level.  But I felt less secure than when I play for Larvik", said Kristiansen.  This is something Breivik has been working on with the newcomers.  "Tine must bring out her best qualities.  She must learn to work with the others as she usually does at Larvik and she is on the way to learning that".

There were some poor passes from her on Sunday.  "She noticed that she was punished harder at this level than in the club.  But it's good that she makes mistakes now, so we have a good chance of ironing them out before the European championship.  Remember she scored a vital goal", said Breivik.

Typically said by a national team chief who is a master at building up the players and letting them take responsibility.  Tine saw nothing of the goal.  "I got a crack on the head just as I shot so I didn't know where the ball went.  But it was OK when I heard it hit the crossbar and go in".  She is happy in her first championship for Norway.  "I have noticed that interest round the country has been higher since the girls took gold in Beijing.  For me it's great to be in the championship", said Tine.

Even though three of the Olympic squad are not playing, there is a lot of experience and confidence in the team.  Tine's teammates at Larvik who played in Beijing are showing the way.  Tonje Larsen is good in defence and unstoppable when she goes forward.  Karoline Dyhre Breivang is like a concrete wall in defence.  They are contrasted with goal-machine Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth, who is only surpassed by Kari-Mette Johansen in tempo.  Another plus is the Lunde twins from Viborg.  Keeper Katrine again produced a save rate around 50 percent.

Group games coming up in Macedonia are: Spain (December 3), Ukraine (December 5), Portugal (December 7).   

http://www.rb.no/lokal_sport/article3941941.ece

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:58:51 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »
Just don't let Terry Butcher watch it - he might get upset with all those handballs ;)
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
Just take him to see Hull Kingston Rovers :)
But in handball you are penalised if the ball touches your foot, the other side gets a free throw  :)
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:51:43 AM »
Just take him to see Hull Kingston Rovers :)
But in handball you are penalised if the ball touches your foot, the other side gets a free throw  :)
I'd love it he refused to shake any of their hands lol  ;D

I must watch handball one day - maybe Ronaldo could take it up  :D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Handball women beat Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »
Ukraine 20 Norway 33: Kari Mette Johansen said the players had examined their approach after a disappointing opening to their European Championship campaign when they drew 21-21 with Spain.  They bloomed against Ukraine.  Three of Johansen's five goals came from counterattacks and in all ways the team played better on Friday than they had on Wednesday.

The keeper Katrine Lunde Haraldsen was one of the players who had little to do at the start of Friday's game.  She let one goal in in the first eight minutes, and three after 20.  In this period she saved three shots and could not be described as overworked in handball parlance.  "In fact it was quite boring, but suddenly a shot would arrive and that's when you have to be ready.  I think they were surprised that we played so well from the start.  They had no chance", said Lunde Haraldsen to VG Nett.

Norway opened the game with a goal by Karoline Dyhre Breivang before a minute was played, and she scored another in the next minute.  "With a start like that you can relax", said the trainer Marit Breivik.

Captain Kristine Lunde played from the start in this important match but took a pause later on to rest her injured shoulder.  "I never choose to sit on the bench but Marit is good at giving many players a chance", said Kristine, who played 36 minutes and scored two goals on Friday.  She noticed pain in the shoulder at the start but it loosened up and was all right after it warmed up.

Norway scored 33 goals and failed with 24 shots on Friday.  The girls' shots worked better than on Wednesday when they scored 21 and failed on 22 shots. 

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555117

Photo:  Norway attacker Isabel Blanco gets airborne among the Ukraine defence.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:30:09 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
Alan do you know any where the Euros are been screened on the web? I forgot they started already, need to have a catch up on my handball.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »
Rach I don't know, I have not seen anything but then again I have not looked.  It didn't occur to me that it might be on the web.  So if we find anything we had better share it.

Here is a piece about Johansen:

Johansen in the 80-zone

Norway's handball team only drew against Spain but beat Ukraine 33-20 in their second group match on Friday.  One problem in the first match was the success rate from shots on goal.  One who 'never' misses is Kari Mette Johansen, who has scored from eight out of ten shots so far in the European Cup tournament in Macedonia.

"Is that right? it's OK.  Wing players have to manage 60 percent", said the Larvik girl, who had not been counting the shots.  There are some games she remembers, like the last European Cup Final when she had nine shots on goal and scored from all of them.  She was Norway's most effective player with an overall success rate of 77 percent.

"A part of being experienced is that you don't worry about missing", said Kari Mette, who debuted on the national team in 2004.  In the last three seasons she has been one of the trainer's most secure choices.  She was asked the secret of scoring.

"I always look to see what the keeper is doing before I shoot, and I have trained myself to go high and have plenty of time", says the player from Larvik, who does not know where she will be playing next season.  Partner Marius Hovde Andersen, a footballer, plays for Drammen, and they must find a place that suits them both.

But just now she is thinking of the next match against Portugal.  "I was insecure after the draw against Spain.  We were not mobile and were worried about it.  For Portugal we are going to carry on where we left off against Ukraine", promised the left-winger.

"If she manages 70 percent, that will be very good", said trainer Marit Breivik.

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/sport/handball/article2810208.ece

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:00:15 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:08:02 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »
Norwegian national player Katja Nyberg faces a 2-month layoff with a knee injury:
http://www.eurohandball.com/article/11970

I have not found a web-tv feed for the handball tournament but there is a TV-guide on the web site:
http://www.eurohandball.com/2008/tv-guide/week-49
But like all good ideas for web-sites it needs someone to update it :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:37:46 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Norway 34 Portugal 19
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 10:28:30 PM »
Another win for Norway tonight in Group B of the European Cup finals.  Top scorer was Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth with 9 goals and she was also voted the best player.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:20:34 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »
Norway head Group B at the European Cup tournament in Macedonia after their 34-19 win over Portugal. 

Marit Breivik told the players not to use their most important weapon - counterattacks - in the second half.  She wanted the players to practise conventional attacks for later in the tournament. 

When keeper Kari Aalvik Grimsbø set a counterattack going after 35 minutes, she was told to 'wake up' from the bench.  "But I forgot that Kari had not heard the instruction at half time", said trainer Marit Breivik with a smile.  "The training will be good for later on when we meet teams that can snuff out counterattacks before we start them", said top-scorer Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth. 

New player Camilla Herrem scored six goals, the first one only 18 seconds after coming on.  She made a few mistakes when she gave away a penalty and lost the player she was supposed to be marking a couple of times.  But it did not really matter.  "Camilla shot well today", said Marit Breivik to TV 2.  "There is a lot to be pleased with.  Now we have gone through our warming up and it starts in earnest".

Herrem's father was in the stands for the game and gave his daughter a signal to calm down.  "I always listen to my Dad", said Herrem to VG Nett.  "I was pleased to play a whole match, not just five minutes here and there".   

The article also has a video clip with Camilla Herrem interviewing different people in the squad, about handball, boyfriends etc.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555284

Heidi Løke (25) played well with her son Alexander (16 months) in the stands.  The little boy arrived a few hours before the match with father Leif Gautestad (45).  Meanwhile Mum scored seven goals from nine shots.  "Alexander is the most important person in my life.  I had not seen him for eight days and had never been away from him for so long.  Leif and Alexander are with us for our meals".  She is very grateful to the team management for allowing her family on a visit.  Gautestad and Alexander have their own room at the players' hotel and for three days until they go back Heidi has permission to sleep in whichever room she chooses.  Breivik sees no problems when young handball players have families and is happy to accept the necessary arrangements. 

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=555295

Meanwhile Danish handball star Henriette Mikkelsen has travelled home from the European Cup.  She was missing her daughter Frida (8 months) too much to continue in the tournament.  "Match days were not so bad but in between it has been very difficult", said Mikkelsen to sporten.dk.  The decision was taken with trainer Jan Pytlick after the defeat against Romania in Sunday.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=543352   

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:38:38 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
Norway's handball twins Katrine Lunde Haraldsen and Kristine Lunde were furious with the Danish journalist who attacked one of their clubmates.  Danish star Henriette Mikkelsen decided to go home from the European Cup tournament in Macedonia to be with her 8-month-old daughter Frida.

It was not well received in the Danish media yesterday and Ekstrabladet's commentator Finn Stilling made no secret of his views and described the player's behaviour at length saying that it tragicomic and many other things, and that players should be allowed home only through serious sickness.

"It's laughable and discriminating to say that.  Now I have a pain in my stomach.  I cannot understand where he is coming from", said Kristine Lunde (28) to VG Nett when we consulted her.  Neither she nor sister Katrine have children but they are both teammates of Mikkelsen in the Danish club Viborg.  They think strongly that Mikkelsen deserves praise for continuing with the national team and helping her country at a time when many people would think it is only natural for a mother to be with her baby.

"I think it was difficult to leave Frida, and how you would react to it is impossible to predict.  She was a super-professional when she was pregnant and came back really quickly.  If she takes a break now I see nothing negative in it", said Katrine.

"She has done everything to support Denmark's national team, and has placed it so high as to compromise over her baby", said Kristine. 

Norway's Isabel Blanco reacted as well.  "Henriette is a really good friend of mine from when we played together at Ikast.  I am shaken.  She has put her cards on the table all the way with the national team.  I doubt that he (the commentator) knows the background", said Blanco to VG Nett.

On Sunday the Norway striker Heidi Løke (25) had a visit from her son Alexander (16 months) and her partner Leif Gautestad (45).  But the Norwegian twins did not think it would have been ideal for the Danish player because her baby was so much younger.  "It could be difficult to bring her here when you think of possible bacterial infections", said Katrine.

The Danish handball federation said that Mikkelsen and the trainer were agreed that she should go home.  "Jan and I talked on Sunday and I made it clear to him that I didn't want to be selected for the team after this tournament.  I offered to play in the last three matches but Jan said he would rather bring in Mie Augustesen to give her some experience and that's something I quite understand", said Mikkelsen to spn.dk.

Norway will play Denmark this evening.  For Norway it is an important match which could secure a place for them in the semifinal. 

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=543478
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:24:09 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »
The handball team has done the latest version of the sausage-advert for TV:
http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/09/sport/reklame/handball-em_2008_kvinner/handball/3984319/

Sisters Kristine Lunde and Katrine Lunde Haraldsen want to finish their handball careers in Norway.

The two have a year and a half to go on their present contracts with Danish league leaders Viborg, and according to Dagbladet they wish to play for a Norwegian club after that, and Larvik HK could be one of the liekly clubs.

The decisions are connected to their partners, Katrine's husband and Kristine's boyfriend.  The twins have always played on the same team and where one moves the other goes as well.  According to VG, Katrine really wants to play in Våg, but they are also tempted by the top clubs.  So Larvik could be a possibility for the two stars.   

http://www.op.no/sport/article3980033.ece

The Norway team has six players from Larvik in the squad.  But not all six have been together on the pitch lately.  It happened last in the match against Denmark before the European Cup tournament began.

Karoline Dyhre Breivang is one of the six and she would like to see all of them on the pitch.  "It's fun to play together as we have in training sessions.  But we have a lot of other good players.  It is good for Tine Kristiansen and Heidi Løke, who are debuting in the Cup, to have players they know round them".

Norway last lost to Denmark in 2002 in the European Cup Final, when Denmark won 25-22.  Since then they have met 13 times, with 12 wins to Norway plus a draw.  Norway qualified for the European Cup by beating Denmark 27-25.  "I was a matchwinner", said Breivang with a smile.

The rivals meet again on Tuesday.  "They are imnproved since we met them last", said trainer Marit Breivik.  "They are always a good rival to us but it's a long time since they drew blood".

Viborg keeper Katrine Lunde Haraldsen is one of six Norwegians in Danish clubs.  Tonight she will face four of her teammates from Viborg.  "It's special to meet them.  I play with them every day normally, and we have talked a lot about this championship", she said to ANB.  "I know them well and they know me well, so we know what they are good at.  I hope I will come out of duels as the winner".  She thinks Norway has a better defence.  "They are dangerous on the counterattack - that's where we have to be careful".

She hopes to be the one with the biggest smile at the first training session in Viborg after Christmas.

http://www.op.no/sport/article3979934.ece

Isabell Blanco from Bergen plays for a Danish club and will be happy to settle in Denmark for good.  She has been there ten years and is so happy she has no plans to return to Norway.  But the 29-year-old says she will never feel more Danish than Norwegian.

"No, I will always be Norwegian, but I am very happy in Denmark and have been right from the start", said the Norwegian international handball player.  She only needed six months to learn to speak Danish and when she is on the Norwegian team she needs time to get back into her old Bergen accent.  "After so long in Denmark I have noticed a bit of a mixture, but it comes back properly after a couple of days with the team".

"I get called an exiled Bergenser or a semi-Bergenser.  That's not so good . . but I just have to sharpen up and stop this Danish prattle, at any rate when I am at home on a team meeting", she smiled.     

She was nervous when she heard she was going to start against Ukraine.  "But then I thought of those who would be round me.  Katrine in goal, Tonje Larsen to the left, Karoline Dyhre Breivang to the right.  There's no need to be afraid, I told myself.  They are so good that you can't be nervous".

http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/09/sport/isabel_blanco/handball-em_2008_kvinner/3983843/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:09:02 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 11:18:06 PM »
"What in the world did Breivik say to them at half time?" was the universal question tonight as Norway went from tragic to magic in their European Cup group match against Denmark.  Norway finished 31-19 after being down 10-12 at half time.

In 26 minutes Denmark went well up against big sister Norway.  But 11 straight goals took Norway from 7-12 to 18-12 and the match ended as it so often has before, with a win to Norway.  They raised themselves magnificently after a poor first half.

"We lost a little focus at the start and bombed a bit too much.  But we never lost our threat", said skipper Kristine Lunde to TV 2.  The most brilliant performance came from substitute keeper Terese Pedersen who was a big contributor to Norway's turnround after keeper Katrine Lunde Haraldsen had had a rare bad day at the office.  "It's great to beat Denmark after being behind at half time", said Pedersen to TV 2.

Norway started well with two quick goals while Katrine Lunde Haraldsen saved the Danes' first four shots.  But then came a bad patch when the girls went nine minutes without a goal.  The Danes gained confidence, especially left-back Trine Troelsen who scored five times before half time.

"We stood more compactly after the break and tightened our play up.  We made some counterattacks and we made some good variations on our attacks as well", said Linn-Kristine Riegelhuth.  She scored a goal from 38 metres, from beside her own keeper, after one of Pedersen's many saves.  The Danish keeper was a long way forward and had no chance.  "It was good to see it go in", said 'Linka'. 

In the previous match trainer Marit Breivik told the players not to make counterattacks but just to practice normal attacks.  Today there were few attacks of either sort in the first half.  Tonje Larsen and Kristine Lunde both missed more than they scored.  At 7-9 Breivik called a time-out and asked for stronger tackling in defence and stronger shooting at the front - but things went from bad to worse for Norway.

Katrine Lunde Haraldsen plays very few bad matches but after a good start the goals rained in for Denmark.  Five minutes before half time she was replaced by Terese Pedersen after having saved only six of 17 shots.  Denmark led by five goals at the most, and after a spurt Norway took the score to 10-12 at the break.  Little did the Danes know that that was only a taste of what to expect in the second half, when there was only one team on the pitch - Norway.  Eight straight goals from Tonje Nøstvold, Kari Mette Johansen, Kristine Lunde, Karoline Dyhre Breivang, Tonje Larsen and three from Linn-Kristine Riegelhuth left the Danes disillusioned.  With the three scored before half time it made eleven straight goals to Norway without answer.  At 18-13 the win was almost in the bag.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/09/sport/handball/handball-em_2008_kvinner/3985988/

Video clips:
http://www.tv2sporten.no/handball/em/article2463917.ece
http://www.tv2sporten.no/handball/em/article2464201.ece

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:22:59 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:17 AM »
Kristine Lunde got angry in the Norway-Denmark match yesterday.  She was pulled down while shooting by her club colleague Lene Lund Nielsen, who was sent off.  But Lunde answered quickly with a shove to the Danish player and got a two-minute suspension as well.  On the way off the pitch she shouted and gestured angrily at the Danish trainer.  There were also angry words between the trainers' benches.

After the match, which Norway won comfortably, Lunde was back in top humour and started dancing on the pitch.  But she did not regret her behaviour, and said she got fed up with the Danes' tricks.  A journalist told Lunde that her Viborg teammate had said it was all forgotten, but it was not forgotten by Lunde.  "Obviously she says that because it was her that pulled me down.  I won't be having a coffee with her straight away", she said.  Lunde scored five goals. 

Lunde showed her aggressive side yesterday.  When Danish keeper Karin Mortensen tried to slow the play down, 6ft-tall Lunde gave the keeper some verbals backed up with a nudge.  Norway trainer Marit Breivik admitted that it was seldom that the normally placid Kristine behaved this way.  "It's positive and important for Kristine to have a temperament.  I have never seen her so strong in duels".

Norway beat Denmark after after an extremely good second half which started with them scoring eight goals without reply.  Before the break Denmark's Trine Troelsen provided the entertainment with five brilliant shots and goals.  In the second half she was effectively neutralised.

Norway can thank their much more aggressive defence plus some brilliant play by keeper Terese Pedersen.  The keeper plays for Danish club Randers and knows the Danes well but had problems when one of them sent the ball right into her face.  After that 13 minutes went without a Danish goal.

Norway top their group with five points.  Romania lost to Spain on Tuesday and both teams have four points.  Hungary has three and could overtake Norway if they beat Kristine Lunde and co. on Wednesday.     

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=543566

Photos of the row: http://www.op.no/sport/article3983389.ece

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:28:27 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Hungary 20 Norway 34
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »
Norway beat Hungary to stay top of their group on Wednesday.  Top scorer was captain Kristine Lunde with seven goals, while Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth and Kari Mette Johansen scored six each.  Katrine Lunde Haraldsen was back in goal and had a 55 percent save rate.

Video clips: http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/?treeId=&progId=278760&itemId=

Norwegian twins Kristine Lunde and Katrine Lunde Haraldsen (28) were full of praise for each other's performances after Hungary were outclassed yesterday.  Kristine was the top scorer with seven goals while Katrine was 'like a wall' in goal, saving 24 of Hungary's 44 shots.

Norway won by 14 goals in Wednesday's match.  "The best thing about Katrine today was how she saved all three penalties", said Kristine.  Two of the penalties came from Anita Görbicz.  Before the match the team had been discussing how difficult Görbicz's shots were to deal with, but on Wednesday Katrine saved eight of the Hungarian's shots.  Katrine was happy with Kristine's performance.  "It's a long time since Kristine played so many good games in a row or taken so much responsibility", she said of her twin sister.  "Dad will be proud of us now", said Kristine with a big smile.

Hungary played with a strong and aggressive defence and some minutes went by before the Norwegians worked out a way of attacking.  The first four Norwegian goals came from counterattacks and the next on a penalty, and halfway through the first they took the score from 7-7 to 13-7.  The second half started with goals from seven different players as Norway built an 11-goal lead in 15 minutes.

The second half belonged to Linn-Kristin Riegelhuth with six goals from eight shots.  She has played as a winger at the European Cup but her goals came from all positions: wing, counterattacks, from the centre; she could have had a penalty as well but missed it. 

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=545082
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=545076

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:07:10 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »
Katrine Lunde Haraldsen and Tonja Nøstvold will watch tonight's group match against Romania from the stands.  Norway are already through to the semifinals of the European Cup after beating Hungary yesterday.  Camilla Herrem will come back into the team.

Two hours after the Hungary match the Norwegian players had more good news.  Denmark had beaten Spain, which means that Norway are already through to the semifinals of the tournament, where they will meet either Germany or Russia.  Tonight's match against Romania is less important now and will determine only which team Norway meet in their semifinal. 

Trainer Marit Breivik decided to rest Haraldsen to give her an extra day's rest before the weekend.  The 28-year-old is the European Cup's best keeper with an official save rate of 48 percent.  Sweden's Madeleine Grundström is next with 46 percent.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2008/12/11/sport/handball/handball-em_2008_kvinner/4004818/

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:29:10 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Friends again
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »
Danish trainer Jan Pytlick was asked whether he was happy about helping Norway in their quest for the semifinals, and the answer was "yes".

Speaking in English on TV he said, "I am very happy to help Norway but in my opinion they can win the games by themselves.  But we helped them today and I am very satisfied with that, they are our good neighbours so it means a lot also for Denmark.  Yesterday it was a war, today we are friends again.  Norway is the best team and they will win the championship.  They are very fast, they have a complete team with super defence, super attack, good goalkeepers - I cannot see a team that can beat Norway".

An unidentified Romanian player speaking on TV in Danish also said she could not see how Norway could be beaten and mentioned Haraldsen and Riegelhuth as top players among many.  "They are a team, they are very good, and Norway are the favourites".

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=38200707
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:59:43 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.