Author Topic: Left with 227 passengers, landed with 228  (Read 973 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Left with 227 passengers, landed with 228
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
When an Finnair plane took off from Bangkok yesterday there were 227 passengers on board.  The plane landed at Helsinki with 228.  "This is extremely rare", said an airline spokesman.

A little Swedish baby girl came into the world as the flight passed over Kazakhstan.  "The woman went into labour and gave birth on the way to Helsinki.  She is fine and is in hospital", said Manti Vaatinene of Finnair to VG Nett.

When the woman started going into labour she contacted the cabin crew who called for a doctor amongst the passengers.  Fortunately there were two doctors and two nurses on the flight.  They were put in contact with Medlink via satellite phone and cleared a place at the back of the aircraft.  Meanwhile the pilots made a backup plan to land in Moscow but it was not needed.

Shortly afterwards a healthy baby girl was born at 36,000 feet over Kazakhstan.  In Helsinki an ambulance stood by to collect mother and baby.

In Norway none of the airline spokesman had heard of a child being born in one of their planes.  It is extremely rare.  "We have tough regulations for pregnant people who want to fly.  We think it's best for babies to be born in hospital", said Thomas Midteide of SAS.  "We have these rules so that passengers won't be forced to act as midwives".   

In a press statement Finnair congratulated the family.  "This is the first time this had happened in the airline's history.  We are giving the family free return tickets to Bangkok to mark the occasion.  We are very happy it all went well", said Manti Vaatinen.   

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utrolige-historier/artikkel.php?artid=534217
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:57:53 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

shlj

Re: Left with 227 passengers, landed with 228
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »
It's funny because most airlines have a rule that forbid pregnant women from more than 8 months to fly to avoid that kind of incident. What happens more frequently is people dying on board. A note for those planning to fly for the Euro 2009, try to use low cost airlines and book early because it's a duopoly BA-Finnair  from most UK airport. 

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »
I read about someone dying on board a flight not very long ago.
They moved the body so it was in a seat in a row near a woman who was asleep.
She woke up to find a previously empty seat now had a corpse strapped into it and freaked  ;D
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »
I read about someone dying on board a flight not very long ago.
They moved the body so it was in a seat in a row near a woman who was asleep.
She woke up to find a previously empty seat now had a corpse strapped into it and freaked  ;D

I remember being in Ireland with a bunch of Austrailans and they kept coming up with all these stories about people dying on long bus journeys...they were pretty weird...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u