Author Topic: Skippagurra Girls  (Read 22123 times)

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Kristoffersen going for the top
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »
"I am really going to bite the bullet", said Marthe Kristoffersen as we talked about the Winter Olympics.  The 20-year-old is not afraid of pain and is continuing her efforts to reach the top of the skiing world.

Kristoffersen is entering a three-week training session that would knock the breath out of most.  Starting at the bottom of the slalom course at Meråker, she works her way up.  It is a mix of jumping and running.  She is daunted at the prospect but Marthe is not the type to be frightened of pain.

It is 9.30, and Marthe Kristoffersen and partner Eirik Kurland Olsen park their car with its sponsor markings.  After warming up the pair set out.  Rain starts to fall.  Marthe is ready to give all and looks forward to collapsing on the sofa afterwards.

"It is hell.  But you get the best feelings of achievement afterwards", she said.  Boyfriend Eirik is also a useful skiier who in most countries other than Norway would probably get into the national team.  He is having problems getting started.  "According to the book the first part should be taken gradually, but I am young and stupid and give it all right from the start", said Marthe.

At the end of the first five-minute section Eirik is 20 metres ahead.  Marthe is breathing like a whale.  "We train together a lot.  When he is in front of me I have to make an extra effort.  We push each other", said Kristoffersen.

She uses Vancouver as a motivation.  "I try not to think about it too much in normal training.  But at times like now, when I am exhausted, I think about the Olympics a lot.  We were in Canada in the spring and had a look at the conditions.  Everything was so big and so new.  I am really looking forward to it".

Eirik is drawing ahead on the last section.  But Marthe makes a last effort to finish and lies down exhausted.  "Stand up!", orders her partner.  Up she gets.  "Yes! finished!", she celebrates with arms in the air when her breathing has calmed down.

Even though she has two golds and an individual silver at junior world championships, Marthe Kristoffersen and international championships have not been a good combination.  At the World Cup in Liberec most readers will remember how she lost out on a medal after having started the last lap of the 4 x 5 km in first place with a good lead.  At the finish she was distraught and Eurosport viewers saw her three teammates running over to try to put her together again.  

After her first season as a senior, the 20-year-old has already experienced a lot.  One of her goals is to be in the top ten in the Olympic 10 km.  Marthe Kristoffersen is on her way to the top.  The main question is not whether, but when, she will be Norway's next ski queen.

Adresseavisen, Trondheim, 11-11-2009    

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:41:06 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Marit Bjørgen successes
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »
Nine months ago the World Cup was a fiasco for Norwegian skiier Marit Bjørgen and she was on the point of retirement.  At Beitostølen last week she was back to her old form with a convincing win in the 10 km freestyle.  

"The down turn is forgotten now but it was worth it because it forced me to make changes", said 29-year-old Bjørgen.

In the 10 km she finished in first place in 28 minutes 58.9, with Kristin Størmer Steira second, 52.8 seconds behind.  Theresa Johag was in 4th place 1 minute 33.6 behind the leader.

Interview and video clip: http://msn.tv2sporten.no/ovrig/bjoergen-har-faatt-en-ny-start-3017430.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:46:52 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
First selections for Vancouver Winter Olympics
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
Cross-country skiers Marit Bjørgen and Kristin Størmer Steira are included in the first group of players selected for Norway's entry to the 2010 Winter Olympics starting in Vancouver in February.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:51:28 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.