Author Topic: Matilda maestro set for American league  (Read 1510 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Matilda maestro set for American league
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
Matilda maestro set for American league

Matildas midfield maestro Collette McCallum will line up for this weekend's opening round of the W-League football competition relieved that her place in the inaugural American league is secure.

McCallum, one of the stars in Australian march to the 2007 World Cup quarter-finals, will turn out for Perth Glory against Sydney FC in the first match of the eight-team Australian championship.

The Scottish-born 22-year-old is one of just four Australians to be drafted to an American club for the inaugural season of its women's professional competition.

However, unlike her three compatriots, Sarah Walsh, Heather Garriock and Lisa De Vanna, McCallum wasn't selected in the competition's initial international draft.

Instead, McCallum was picked up by the New Jersey based Sky Blue FC through the competition's post-draft discovery process.

Renowned for her precise passing, McCallum was much less organised when it came to securing a place in the international draft.

"Three teams were interested in me but of course me being the smart one, I didn't get back to them," McCallum said.

"I left it too late, I didn't know what I wanted to do."

"They did the draft and then one of the coaches asked me again and I said I was interested and they took me as a discovery player."

"The smart person I am, I left it a bit too late, I could have got drafted earlier, but at least it's all worked out at the end."

McCallum is coming off a successful season with American club Pali Blues who won the W-League.

One of her team mates at Sky Blue FC will be Matildas striker Walsh, who will miss Sydney's clash with Perth because she is still recovering from a broken tibia, aq legacy of Australia's clash with Canada earlier this year.

"It's five months down the line and probably another six weeks, hopefully I will be back in mid season," Walsh said.

Both McCallum and Walsh expected Sydney and Queensland to be among the front-runners in the new competition.

They were also optimistic the fledging competition would attract some high profile imports in the future.

http://news.theage.com.au/sport/matilda-maestro-set-for-american-league-20081021-55ih.html