Author Topic: Boston Breakers  (Read 16234 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Boston Breakers
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »
Boston Strikes Gold: Hucles, Lilly and Mitts to Play for Breakers
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
by Boston Breakers

BOSTON (Sept. 16, 2008) - The Boston Breakers were allocated U.S. Women's National Team standouts Angela Hucles, Kristine Lilly and Heather Mitts, it was announced Tuesday afternoon by Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) Commissioner Tonya Antonucci along with WPS part-owner and two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash during a ceremony at the Sports Museum of America in Manhattan.

"We are absolutely thrilled to have Angela and Kristine return to the Boston Breakers, and also to welcome Heather to our team," said Breakers President and General Manager Joe Cummings. "We are fortunate to have been allocated three players of such high quality. They will provide our coaching staff an excellent base to build our team around."

Hucles and Mitts were each starters for the U.S. Olympic Team and won their second-consecutive gold medals last month at the Beijing Games, a tournament Lilly - a two-time gold medalist herself in 1996 and 2004 - missed due to the birth of her daughter, Sidney Marie, on July 22. After having played for the Boston Breakers of the former pro league, the Women's United Soccer Association (WUSA), both Hucles and Lilly chose to remain in the Boston area.

“I am delighted with our allocation,” said Boston head coach Tony DiCicco, who coached the U.S. to the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup championship. “We not only have three outstanding players but they are amazing people and role models.

“Kristine is a legend in the game and it is a thrill to be coaching her again. Her leadership and inspiration will excite and energize her teammates. Heather will anchor our defense. She has excellent speed and was very impressive as part of the defensive unit that shut out Brazil in the Gold Medal game last month. Angela was the leading scorer for the USA in their Gold Medal run. She has great versatility as a player being able to play a number of positions and is very experienced.

“This is a great start for the Boston Breakers.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid4898.aspx?team=boston

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Boston Breakers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »
Breakers build beginning of a family
Friday, September 19, 2008
by Dan Lauletta, Womensprosoccer.com

When Tony DiCicco vacated his post as head coach of the U.S. National Team following the 1999 Women’s World Cup, neither he nor Kristine Lilly figured they would ever be reunited as coach and player.  They figured wrong.

“Who knew,” said a laughing Lilly, her seven-week daughter Sidney in tow.  “I figured if I played long enough I would be reunited with someone.”

DiCicco also laughed at the question before turning serious when he said, “I know people are questioning whether she can get back (after taking a year off to have her baby).  Don’t count out Kristine Lilly.”

He may be onto something.  Not only is Lilly fully committed to playing in WPS, the longtime veteran of the National Team is not ready to hang up her Team USA Jersey either.

“I’m hoping to get a call-up,” she said.

Although they've worked together in an ESPN studio, Heather Mitts will be coached by Tony DiCicco for the first time when the Boston Breakers take the field in April 2009.A motivated Lilly bodes well for the Breakers, who were also allocated Angela Hucles and Heather Mitts, relative unknowns eight years ago who used the WUSA as a springboard to the National Team.  Neither of them though, made it in time to play for DiCicco.

“I have not played for Tony,” said Hucles, who like Lilly was a regular starter during the Breakers’ three-year tenure in the WUSA.  “I played for him one time in camp when I got called up in 1997.  That was my only experience having Tony as a coach.  It was great then and obviously I look forward to playing for him.”

Mitts has never even been to camp with DiCicco, but they teamed up as studio analysts during ESPN’s coverage of the 2007 Women’s World Cup.

“I kind of was joking to him last year when we were doing the TV stuff calling him coach and saying I’d love to play in Boston,” she said.  “I’m really looking forward to it.”

The chance to play for DiCicco was one of many factors that led Mitts to put Boston on her list of preferences for a WPS destination.

“When I think about all the components of where I want to go and be happiest, Boston was one of those places,” she said.  “It’s an amazing city.  It’s an even more amazing sports town.  I was lucky enough to play in Philadelphia (for the WUSA’s Charge) where the fans really embraced us.  I know that Beantown is going to be that town for me as well.

“Obviously the team was there before and the reception was great.  Everything goes into it.  Everything about it is positive in my eyes.”

Hucles was less sure about Boston than Mitts when she was drafted by the Breakers at the dawn of the WUSA.  But in her three years playing there she fell in love with the city and has made it her home since that league folded five years ago.

“Boston has been my home for the last six, seven years now,” she said. “I’m very thrilled.  It’s just a great day right now.  It’s nice to see that this is coming together.”

Their affinity for Boston aside, the three newest Breakers are some of the best soccer players around.

“We have a playing legend,” DiCicco said of Lilly.  “Great leader.  Great player.  Angela Hucles I think is playing the best soccer of her life.  She has a great following in greater Boston.  She has great versatility on the field.  She can get forward and score goals.  She can also play in the midfield and set them up.  Heather Mitts is one of the best athletes in the soccer world.  She’ll be an anchor for us on defense.  All three are just quality people too.”

As Mitts put it, “Hopefully they can score goals and I can keep the other teams from scoring.”

If DiCicco has anything close to the same affect he had on the National Team, the results figure to be promising.

“What Tony did with the (national) team was put together a team that was more like a family,” Lilly recounted.  “Players knew their roles.  Even if you were a reserve, you knew what your role was.  He brought a team together and created a family atmosphere that won.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid4950.aspx?team=boston

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:59:51 PM »
Boston Head Coach Tony DiCicco Targets Attacking Flair in WPS International Draft
Friday, September 26, 2008
by Boston Breakers

Breakers Seek to Add English Superstar, Pair of Brazilians and another Japanese Athlete to Boston Sports Scene

BOSTON (September 24, 2008) – The Boston Breakers took an offensive-minded approach to Wednesday afternoon's Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) International Draft.  The Breakers were officially assigned the WPS-playing rights to world-class stars Kelly Smith (midfield) of England, Brazilians Fabiana (forward) and Maycon (midfield), and Japan's Shinobu Ohno (forward).

"This is a pretty exciting draft for us," said Breakers head coach Tony DiCicco.  "Our goal was to zero in on the attacking personalities.  We think we will sign all four, but we are also prepared for some of the challenges that will come up in our negotiations with their current clubs and their agents."

Smith, who has 71 caps (appearances) and 27 goals with the English National Team, was the only England player in the former women's pro league in America when she was a member of the Philadelphia Charge (WUSA), along with current Boston Breaker Heather Mitts.  Widely considered one of the top players in the world, Smith was the Breakers' first round selection (third overall).

"Kelly Smith is one of the greatest players in the world," said DiCicco.  "I am hoping we can bring her flair, range of play and scoring ability, which would complement our team well."

Fabiana and Maycon each played on Brazil's silver medal winning Olympic Team this past summer in Beijing.  Fabiana, an up-and-coming forward, came off the bench in both Brazil's semifinal and final matches against Germany and the United States, respectively.  She scored a pair of goals during the 2006FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup.  Maycon, a veteran of three FIFA World Cup and Olympic tournaments each, known for her speed and dribbling ability.

"Fabiana is very fast and fits that quick Brazilian mold with lot of flair," said DiCicco.  "She is young and will be fun for fans to watch develop.

"Maycon has a lot of experience and has wonderful consistency.  She has very little drop-off during the 90 minutes, much like (current Boston Breaker) Kristine Lilly whom I'm sure would appreciate that.  She is very versatile with the ability to play centrally or out wide."

Ohno has the chance to join popular Boston Red Sox pitchers Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima as another professional athlete from Japan playing in Boston.  American fans may recall the 24-year old forward opened the scoring in this summer's Olympic semifinal match against the United States with a goal in the 17th minute, her second tally of the tournament (the U.S. would come back to win 4-2 en route to the gold medal).

"Ohno is one of the exciting young Japanese players," said DiCicco.  "She is a wonderful possession player; quick and technical who can create and score.  She would fit in nicely."

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid5174.aspx?team=boston

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
Full Circle: Angela Hucles returns to Breakers at home and on top of the world
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
by Colleen Garlick, Boston Breakers

The U.S. Women’s National Team has produced many “Golden Girls” in the past. Kristine Lilly, Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Brandi Chastain and countless others have all made their marks on the U.S. and world soccer scenes. Now, a new generation of skilled Americans are making a name for themselves on the world stage, and Angela Hucles is one of them.

Hucles, along with fellow original Boston Breaker Lilly and Heather Mitts, was one of three U.S. National Team players to be allocated to Boston on Sept. 16. Hucles had a blossoming career ahead of her prior to her initial stint in Boston right out of college, and she has fulfilled a lot of that promising talent in the years since.

At age six, the Virginia Beach-native joined her first soccer squad due to her distaste for her neighborhood swim team. Sleeping in and early morning cartoons were more important to Hucles than diving into a cold pool at 7:00 in the morning.

“My mom asked me what sport I wanted to be involved in, and I had to do something so I chose swimming,” recalls Hucles. “I loved being in the water and I thought that would be a fun thing to do. Then the meets we would have I would only get to participate in 30 seconds and I had to be there all day. So for me it really wasn’t that gratifying and satisfying to do swimming.”

Hucles moved onto soccer after her attempt at swimming. She attended Norfolk (Va.) Academy, where she was the all-time leading scorer with 204 goals and 106 assists. Hucles was also selected for the Parade and NSCAA All-American teams in 1995, and was a two time All-State and All-Regional selection in 1994 and 1995.

After her successful time at Norfolk Academy, Hucles went on to attend the University of Virginia where she played for former U.S. National Team coach April Heinrichs.  Hucles verbally committed to UVA while Heinrichs was in the process of being hired.

“I had a great experience with her [April Heinrichs] for those four years at UVA,” said Hucles. “During my four years we were ranked as high as second in the country and went to the NCAA tournament every year.”

During her time at Virginia, Hucles was a four-time First-Team All-ACC selection and was a finalist for the Hermann Trophy (considered the top individual honor in collegiate soccer) in 1999. She still holds Cavalier records as the school's all-time leader in goals (59), points (138) and game-winning goals (19).

Hucles' international experience began with the U-20 national team in 1997. She received her first cap with the U.S. Women’s National Team against Finland in 2002, and scored her first international goal against Costa Rica on November 6 that year. She was a member of the 2004 Olympic team who won the gold medal, as well as the 2007 World Cup squad.

Hucles' greatest international accomplishments, however, were made this past summer at the Beijing Olympics. Starting every match and leading the team in goals, Hucles proved to be a dominant force throughout the tournament. After a tough loss to Norway in the first round, the world marveled at the American women as they would go on to beat the talented Brazilian team, 1-0, in an action-packed gold medal match.

Going into extra time proved to be a battle of will for both the Americans and Brazil. “We were going to do whatever it took to make our team successful, whether it was stopping goals, or scoring goals, running the extra length of the field just to support your teammate," noted Hucles. "I think that’s what we were reminding ourselves in that moment when we knew we only had two halves of 15 minutes more to play in the Olympic final.”

Despite all her world travel and training, Hucles still finds time to give back to the community. She is a spokeswoman for the America SCORES New England program, which strives to empower students in urban communities using soccer, writing, creative expression, and service-learning, while inspiring youth to lead healthy lifestyles, be engaged students, and become agents of change in their communities.

Hucles also volunteers for CityKicks. CityKicks is a Boston organization that provides opportunities for school age girls to participate in an after-school soccer program.

“With both of these organizations I feel that soccer has given me so many different opportunities in my life and I have met so many amazing people through it that I want to be able to share some of the enjoyment I have had with soccer with other kids and the community,” said Hucles.

Whenever Hucles gets a break after months of playing and being on the road, she comes back to Boston to unwind.

“I like to hang out with my friends or get back to shows that I have on TIVO. I watch HGTV religiously, all the programs on there.”

Hucles never really left Boston after the end of the Women's United Soccer Association (WUSA) in 2003. Perhaps it is because she has such fond memories of the city. And perhaps it is because she enjoyed a successful run of form on the pitch for the Breakers from 2001-03, which helped her jump into the national team picture.

In 2001, Hucles was chosen in the 12th round (93rd pick overall) by Boston in the WUSA inaugural draft. Hucles played in all 21 games (starting 19) in the Breakers' first year and posted two goals for the season.  She even scored the first goal in team history during a preseason match against Duke University.

Hucles had her most successful season with the Breakers in 2003. She started all 17 games, and had one goal and four assists to help the Breakers achieve their first appearance in the WUSA playoffs. Hucles garnered All-WUSA second-team accolades as a result of her play that season.

Backed by her success as a former Breaker and as a current national team star, Hucles is looking forward to the debut of the new Boston Breakers in Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) in April, 2009.

“Boston is my home now, I had a great experience with the Breakers all three years, the league was phenomenal, and I was very fortunate to be a part of it,” explains Hucles. “Knowing that and being able to be a part of this new league is what makes me excited. Being able to be a part of the Breakers again is an honor as well because I knew what it was to be a Boston Breaker, and I expect nothing less from the organization.”

In the spring of 2009, seeing Hucles in a Breakers uniform will be a welcomed sight for Boston fans as she takes to the field at Harvard Stadium to continue her successful history of soccer greatness.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid5392.aspx?team=boston

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 07:48:48 PM »
Boston Shores Up Defense During WPS General Draft
Monday, October 06, 2008
by Boston Breakers

Breakers Add Two Central Defenders, W-League Defender of Year and 2004 Gold Medalist Keeper

BOSTON (October 6, 2008) – After loading up on several attacking players through the first stages of assembling his team, Boston Breakers head coach Tony DiCicco picked out three standout defenders and an accomplished goalkeeper during Monday’s Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) General Draft.

Boston selected defender Amy LePeilbet with its first round pick (fourth overall), followed by defender Nancy Augustyniak Goffi in the second round (11th overall), defender Sue Weber in the third round (18th) and goalkeeper Kristin Luckenbill in the fourth round (25th).

“I feel very good about today’s draft,” said DiCicco. “Our goal was to solidify our defense and we did just that.”

LePeilbet played for USL W-League champions Pali Blues Soccer Club this past year. She was named the MVP of the title game after scoring the game-winning goal against, ironically, Luckenbill, who was the goalkeeper for FC Indiana in that game. LePeilbet was an All-American at Arizona State University and never missed a start in 74 matches from 2000-2003.

“Amy is a tough, athletic and smart defender who is also very good on the ball,” said DiCicco. “She is in the women’s national team pool and some close to the team said she would have made the Olympic team if she didn’t suffer an injury which kept her from consideration.”

Augustyniak Goffi, who also has ties to the Sun Devils having served as an assistant coach at Arizona State the past two years, is no stranger to pro soccer in the United States after playing for the Atlanta Beat, along with twin sister Julie, in the WUSA from 2001-03. She played for the Arizona Rush of the WPSL this past summer after stints with FC Indiana, FFC Turbine Potsdam (Germany) and WFL Wolfsburg (Germany).  Prior to playing for the Beat, she was an All-American at Clemson University.

“Nancy has world-class speed, is a very smart defender and does not get beat,” said DiCicco. “She is experienced and can play centrally or out wide.”

Weber was named the W-League Defender of the Year in Aug. after a strong season with the Long Island Rough Riders, in which she anchored a defense that allowed just seven goals in 14 matches. Weber was a two-time All-American at Hofstra University, where she recently had her number (#20) retired.

“Sue is a young, versatile player with wonderful upside to her game,” said DiCicco. “I think with some exposure from this league, she is someone that can get some looks by the full national team.”

Luckenbill was an Olympic gold medalist in 2004 and trained with this year’s Olympic team. She was named the WUSA Goalkeeper of the Year in 2002 after helping the Carolina Courage to the league championship. She has 14 international caps and was a three-time All-American at Dartmouth College.

“Kristin is an experienced goalkeeper who brings a championship pedigree to the Breakers,” said DiCicco. “No team will win in this league without an exceptional goalkeeper, and Kristin gives us that.”

This afternoon’s draft consisted of four rounds of selections of international and domestic players for all seven WPS teams. The order was established based on a lottery done at the Board of Governors meeting on Sept. 15, 2008, prior to the U.S. National Team allocation on Sept. 17. The order was 1-7, 7-1, 1-7, 7-1. The WPS General Draft was open to both domestic and international players.

WPS will conduct one more draft in January following two December combines for both undrafted domestic players and players who will have just completed their NCAA eligibility.

The Boston Breakers inaugural twenty-one game season (with 10 or 11 home games) will open in April of 2009 and continue through August. The team recently announced Harvard Stadium as its home venue.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid5532.aspx?team=boston
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:53:40 PM by redrobin »

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
The WPS October general draft results are on the main league thread but have been followed by some comment on the choices made by the seven teams.

Comment on the Boston Breakers' choices was as follows:-

Boston Breakers

Picks: Amy LePeilbet, Nancy Augustyniak Goffi, Sue Weber, Kristin Luckenbill

Unlike the roads in and around the city the team will call home, the route the Breakers plan to navigate toward championship contention looks pretty intuitive.

Holding down the pivot spot in the middle of each round on Monday, the Breakers stuck with their theme of experience in tabbing defenders Amy LePeilbet and Nancy Augustyniak Goffi with their first two picks. The former Arizona State star and current Arizona State assistant coach, respectively, are proven commodities at the game's top level – Augustyniak Goffi in multiple WUSA seasons with the Atlanta Beat and LePeilbet in multiple appearances for the National Team in the run-up to the last World Cup-Olympic cycle.

Just about all of the Breakers initial moves prior to Monday had been geared toward the attack, but teaming up two veteran defenders like Augustyniak Goffi and LePeilbet instantly lends depth to the back line. And in third-round pick Sue Weber, the Breakers landed a young defender who could anchor things down the road – if she doesn't win regular minutes from the outset, either opposite Heather Mitts or in the middle. Not that the picks were without offensive benefit – stabilizing the defense should free Mitts to roam forward in support of Kristine Lilly, Angela Hucles, Kelly Smith and others.

After Sky Blue FC and Los Angeles filled needs at keeper in the opening round, fourth-round pick Kristin Luckenbill was an excellent value pick to pair with Irish international Emma Byrne, whose rights the Breakers hold.

Offline smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
If they get all the players they want they will have a pretty impressive team.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:08:06 PM »
The squad compilation is more than a bit different from the usual scenario familiar to the Scandinavian and English fans. It's all very centrally controlled by the League.

First came the America WNT picks, then the international draft for WPS negotiation rights with overseas players. The next pre-announced phase of the WPS team squad was to be the general draft. But before that the new WPS League squeezed in a series of announcements on post-draft discovery players - basically an additional set of negotiation rights for foreign internationals. This was less well publicised by press releases etc.

However, as the Meadow Park faithful are already well aware, at the end of September, the Breakers announced Emma Byrne, the Arsenal and Eire goalie, as a discovery player for their franchise and have been assigned the WPS negotiation rights to try to secure Emma as one of their squad.

If they get all the players they want they will have a pretty impressive team.

I'm sure you're right. All of the seven squads being assembled already look top drawer if they all decide to sign up. I don't know much about the two Brazilians in the Breakers selection compared to some of their national team colleagues or of the Japanese forward. It's only in the limited TV coverage of the World Cup and Olympics that most of us get to know these players and, even then, I only caught a few of the games.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:06:24 AM »
On 10th October the Breakers acquired a further post-draft international discovery option from WPS for Canadian international forward Christine Latham.

Christine played last season for the Atlanta Silverbacks in the W-League.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
Victory tour brings the Breakers’ Mitts home to Cincinnati
Monday, November 03, 2008
by Dan Lauletta, womensprosocer.com

Discussions of the most prominent soccer cities in the country are not likely to include Cincinnati, but for one night at least, that will change when the U.S. Women’s National Team plays South Korea at Paul Brown Stadium on Wednesday evening.  The friendly is part of the Achieve Your Gold Tour following the United States’ second consecutive Olympic Gold medal.  For stalwart defender Heather Mitts the match is a rare opportunity to play in front of her hometown fans.

“The only time we ever go (to Cincinnati) to play is on the victory tour,” said Mitts, who was allocated to the Boston Breakers earlier this fall.  “Obviously a lot of good comes out of winning, but being able to go home and play in front of my family and friends is a great, great opportunity.  I’m really looking forward to it.”

The last victory tour followed the gold medal in 2004, and it was October 10 of that year when Mitts played all 90 minutes in a one-sided, 6-0 trouncing of New Zealand.  The game drew 18,806 to Paul Brown Stadium, the third largest crowd to watch the team that year, yet so far it is the only time Mitts has ever played a major soccer game in the Cincinnati area.

“Last time we played there it was great,” she said.  “They were hooting and hollering the whole time.  It was a lot of fun.”

This time around might be even more exciting for Mitts, who is reaping the benefits of a more relaxed schedule this fall than the one following the 2004 Olympics.

“The last victory tour we won, and then we had all the games right after; it was like boom, boom, boom,” she said.  “By the very end we were just so ready to go home and take a break and be away from soccer.  This time I took a full month off.  When I started to train again, I was so excited to be back and playing.”

The match at Paul Brown Stadium will be the second of three straight for the United States against South Korea.  Angela Hucles, Heather O’Reilly, and Lindsay Tarpley scored in a 3-1 victory on Saturday in Richmond.  Next Saturday they will meet at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa.  The Achieve Your Gold Tour concludes December 17 in Detroit with a match against China.

Between now and the China match, Mitts will make her first trip to Boston as a member of the Breakers.  She will be in town with teammates Angela Hucles and Kristine Lilly on Dec. 4-5 for a two-day promotional whirlwind during which Mitts will also be scoping out apartments for the 2009 season.

“We have two nights of fun stuff planned,” she said.  “I’m looking forward to finally getting to Boston and getting used to the town.”

The Breakers are still a work in progress, but from afar Mitts is pleased with the development of the team’s back line where she will be teamed up with some familiar faces.

“For the most part, I’m familiar with everybody on the team, which is really exciting for me,” said Mitts, who is primarily a right-sided defender.  “We have Nancy Augustyniak-Goffi who can play on the outside or in the middle.  Amy (LePeilbet) is in the middle.  And we also picked up Sue Weber, and she plays on the left.  So we have our back line pretty much taken care of.  Things are looking pretty nice.”

Mitts also has experience playing with and against goalkeeper Kristin Luckenbill, who the Breakers selected in the General Draft.  And while she hasn’t played with Weber, she had high praise for Augustyniak-Goffi and LePeilbet.

“Nancy came in (to the National Team) along with a lot of other really great players that were just so close to making it and for whatever reason just didn’t,” Mitts said.  “But this will be another great opportunity for her to play in the league and maybe to get another shot with the National Team.

“Amy is one of the best defenders that I’ve ever played with on the National Team.  She’s just had a little bit of unfortunate luck with injuries.  She’s great in the air.  She’s really, really aggressive.  She’s great with the ball at her feet.  She’s a great ball-winner and she’s great one-v.-one.  Basically she’s the whole package.  She’s nails.  I love playing with her.”

As the only Cincinnatian ever to reach the heights of the National Team, Mitts is somewhat of an anomaly, but she hopes the Heather Mitts Soccer Camp, held each summer in her hometown, will show girls from the area that they too can make it to the big time.

“I guess I am (an anomaly) because I am the only one to ever come out of there to be on the National Team,” Mitts said.  “I feel like it’s a hot bed for soccer.  I wouldn’t have had the experience growing up there if it wouldn’t have been.  I’m surprised more players don’t come out of there.  That’s why I try to have my camp.  I want to show the girls that I came from there and I worked really hard and you can do it too.  So hopefully there will be more to come.”

Mitts’ entire family still lives in Cincinnati and as of late last week her personal ticket count for Wednesday’s match had reached 25.

“Every day we have some new additions,” she said.  “People keep coming out of the woodwork.

http://womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid6170.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »
Once in a “Blue” Moon Goal Sparks Former Sun Devil Defender’s Journey to Boston
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
by Colleen Garlick, Bostonbreakers.com

It was August 2nd, in Virginia Beach, Va., and Pali Blues was trailing FC Indiana, 1-0, late in the second half of the 2008 W-League Championship game. Undefeated in all their previous games, Pali Blues was hoping and searching for the night’s rescuer.

And so, she came.

With the number three on her back, defender Amy LePeilbet answered the call and gave her teammates some life. The 83rd minute was a pivotal moment for the Blues and LePeilbet. Heading home the equalizing goal, LePeilbet quickly became Pali Blues’ savior.   

“I am a defender so I never score,” explained an excited LePeilbet. “I haven’t scored since college, so I couldn’t believe it when I saw the ball go into the net.”

The game-saving goal was swiftly followed with the game-winner five minutes later by teammate and Italian international, Illaria Pasqui. LePeilbet would go on to claim the game’s MVP award.

Growing up in Crystal Lake, Ill., LePeilbet enjoyed outdoor activities and sports such as volleyball, in-line skating, bike-riding, softball, and track. Finally, in the second grade the soccer ball began rolling.

LePeilbet played for recreational town teams until she attended Prairie Ridge High School, graduating in 2000. During her high school career, LePeilbet was captain as well as a three-time all-conference and all-tournament team selection. She still holds school records to this day for career goals (53) and assists (37).

“I really enjoyed my high school experience,” said LePeilbet. “I played with all my friends, it was a good time.”

Besides scoring goals on the soccer field, LePeilbet also sunk shots in the basketball gym. Serving as captain, LePeilbet was named MVP and still stands as the single-season record holder with 137 assists and 86 steals.

However, despite her success in high tops, LePeilbet continued to lace up the cleats.

“I am somewhat short, so I didn’t have the best shot at playing basketball later in life,” laughs LePeilbet. “I just loved soccer, it was the sport for me. With basketball I didn’t like being cooped up in the gym. Soccer became my passion, and ultimately it was an easy decision for me.”

LePeilbet continued her success at Arizona State. As a Sun Devil, she was a three-time First-Team All-PAC 10 selection, in addition to earning NSCAA Second-Team All-West Region accolades as a senior.  She was also a two-time Academic All-American.

“My senior year was my favorite time there,” recalls LePeilbet. “Everything came together my senior year. The team was great, the coaches were amazing and I had an amazing time playing.”

With strong performances in high school and college, LePeilbet entered the international arena. During her time at Arizona State, LePeilbet played for the United States U-21 team in the 2002 and 2003 Nordic Cups. She led her team to two consecutive titles and played every minute in both tournaments.

In 2004, LePeilbet broke into the National Team squad playing in the Four Nations tournament, the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament and the Algarve Cup. The team defeated Canada, 2-0, in the Four Nations tournament, beat Norway, 4-1, in the Algarve Cup, and qualified for the Olympics. LePeilbet continued her success in 2005 starting in three of four matches played.

“The Four Nations Cup was my first time with the full national team, so it seemed a little surreal that I was even there,” said LePeilbet. “It was an amazing experience. The team was wonderful, supportive, and took me in. I was with some of the bests players in the world - it was that legendary team that made women’s soccer known. It was an unbelievable opportunity and I feel honored that I had the chance to play with all of them.”

In 2006, LePeilbet continued her international success playing again the Peace Cup, the Four Nations tournament and the Algarve Cup. Arguably her best season with the National Team, the hard-nosed defender played in 13 games with nine starts.

Sadly, her play was cut short at the end of the 2006 season due to a torn left ACL. In December, 2006, LePeilbet underwent ACL reconstruction surgery, and was forced to miss the entire 2007 season.

“Mentally it was a battle for me,” explains LePeilbet. “Finally when I started running, I started to be able to kick around the ball, then I got to play a little more, and finally I was released for full contact. I tried to play as much as I could so I felt comfortable again, because that was one of the biggest battles for me. Mentally I wasn’t comfortable out there, I was a little scared, a little tentative, but once I got over that I was back to my old self.”

LePeilbet certainly returned from her injury with gusto, and by the 2008 season she was once again training with the National Team in the opening camp.

LePeilbet’s success nationally and internationally made a mark on the Boston Breakers coaching staff. On October 6, LePeilbet was the Breakers first-round draft pick (4th overall) in the WPS General Draft.

Her trip to Beantown is scheduled.

“I am so excited to have this opportunity, I feel so privileged to play for such a great organization,” said LePeilbet. “I’ve never been to Boston before, so I am really excited to see the town.”

“Sweet Caroline” playing at Fenway Park, swans in Boston Commons, and lobster at Legal Sea Foods, awaits one of Boston’s newest professional athletes. In the meantime however, LePeilbet might be able to catch up on her favorite book series, Harry Potter, and continue to improve on her tennis swing, another game she recently picked up.

“I am really enjoying playing tennis,” said LePeilbet. “It’s a great outdoor activity which I love.”

As LePeilbet soaks up the last rays of sun at her home in California, the Breakers eagerly await her arrival as her solid defense and hard work will be of great benefit to Boston’s back line.

And after having scored that clutch goal to lift her team to glory this past summer, the Breakers are hoping this defender will give WPS opponents more reasons to be singing the Blues in 2009!

http://womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid6180.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 01:04:46 AM »
Boston Breakers Sign Canadian Forward Christine Latham
Friday, January 09, 2009
by Boston Breakers

Westwood, Mass. (January 8, 2009) – The Boston Breakers announced the signing of former Canadian National Team forward and WUSA Rookie of the Year Christine Latham to a multi-year contract this afternoon. Terms of the deal were not disclosed per team policy.

“I am ecstatic to become a part of such a well-known organization,” said Latham, who is the Breakers’ first international signing.  “I know from playing in the WUSA last time around that the Boston Breakers pride themselves on having and maintaining such a strong organization, so I look forward to contributing to the team this year and being a part of the Boston Breakers family.”

“We are delighted to bring in a player of Christine’s caliber and to have signed our first international player,” said Breakers President and General Manager Joe Cummings.  “She gives us a strong, physical presence up front and has a proven ability to score goals at the highest level.”

Latham is no stranger to American soccer.  The Calgary-native enjoyed a stellar career at the University of Nebraska from 1999-2002 where she was a three-time All-American and two-time Hermann Trophy (national player of the year award) finalist.  She remains the Huskers’ all-time leader in goals scored (69) and points (167).

After finishing her collegiate career, Latham went on to be named the WUSA’s top rookie while playing for the San Diego Spirit during the league’s final season in 2003.  She tallied six goals and three assists that year after being signed as a Discovery Player by the Spirit in February, 2003.

Latham has earned a total of 49 caps (appearances) with the Canadian National Team.  She started in her first appearance with the team in a 1-0 win over Korea on May 5, 2000, at the Nike Cup and scored her first international goal a month later in a 5-1 win over Japan.  She started all six matches for Canada at the 2003 FIFA Women’s World Cup, scoring a team-high three goals in the tournament.  She played the full 90 minutes in her most recent appearance, a 2-0 loss to the United States in a July 30, 2006, friendly.

Latham has continued to play in the United States over the past four years for a pair of W-League clubs.  She played for the New Jersey Wildcats in 2005, and captained the Atlanta Silverbacks from 2006-2008.  She was the leading scorer for the Silverbacks in 2007 with 10 goals and two assists, and ranked third in the league with 15 goals in 2008.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid7400.aspx
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:07:24 AM by redrobin »

shlj

Boston Makes Amy Rodriguez Top Pick at 2009 WPS Draft
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »
 ST. LOUIS (January 16, 2009) – The Boston Breakers selected 2008 Gold Medalist and University of Southern California forward Amy Rodriguez with the first pick of the 2009 WPS Draft Friday at the NSCAA Convention in St. Louis.

Rodriguez, who is widely known as “A-Rod” in soccer circles, led USC to the 2007 NCAA National Title. She was the only draft-eligible player that was on the 2008 Gold Medal-winning U.S. Olympic Soccer Team. Her top moment in the Olympic Games came when she assisted on Carli Lloyd’s game-winning goal in USA’s 1-0 win over Brazil in the gold medal match.

In addition to the 10 players selected in today’s draft, the Breakers also acquired the WPS playing rights to England international defender Alex Scott via a trade with the Chicago Red Stars that was finalized on Thursday.  Boston sent its natural second round (14th pick overall) and fourth round (28th overall) picks to Chicago, in exchange for the Red Stars’ sixth (41st overall) and 10th round (69th overall) picks.  In order to stay under the league maximum of international player negotiating rights, the Breakers relinquished their rights to Brazilian international Maicon.

The Boston Breakers, one of seven WPS teams, will open its inaugural season in April and continue through August. The team will play its home matches at Harvard Stadium and Season Ticket Memberships are on sale, beginning at $130. For package details and a seating chart, visit www.bostonbreakers.com.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid7752.aspx?team=boston

Confirmation that Alex Scott's playing right have been traded to Boston  :'(

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »
Breakers' Nobis shores up game
by Monique Walker, Boston Globe
January 17, 2009

For the last two years, forward Jenny Nobis has taken her soccer skills from the Midwest to Sweden. From March to October she lived overseas and learned the more technical side of soccer.

This year, Nobis will not have to pack for Europe.

Nobis was one of 10 players selected by the Boston Breakers yesterday in the Women's Professional Soccer draft in St. Louis. Nobis was taken in the fifth round with the 29th pick.

"It feels so great to be recognized a little bit in my own country," said Nobis, who grew up in Illinois. "And there are a lot of great players I played with in Sweden who are coming here to play."

Nobis, 24, played at Missouri from 2002-05 and said she gained much from her time playing for Umea Sodra.

"Sweden was probably the best experience that could have ever happened to me," Nobis said. "I was a very athletic player, and when I went to Sweden I had to build up my technical game."

Nobis is most excited about the talent the Breakers picked up. With the No. 1 overall pick, Boston took forward Amy Rodriguez, a Southern California standout and a member of the 2008 United States Olympic team. Rodriguez has had an extensive career with the US national team and helped the Trojans capture the program's first NCAA soccer championship in 2007. She assisted on the winning goal in the Olympics, a 1-0 overtime victory over Brazil.

"I don't think any other player came close to Amy Rodriguez for the first pick," Breakers coach Tony DiCicco said.

Seven teams took about five hours to select 70 players in the 10 rounds of the league's inaugural draft. The night before the draft, the Breakers traded their second- and fourth-round picks to the Chicago Red Stars for English defender Alex Scott and sixth- and 10th-round picks. To keep Scott, the Breakers had to give up their rights to Brazilian midfielder Maycon.

"We've got one side of the defense covered with Heather Mitts, but we wanted to make sure we had flexibility wide defensively," Breakers general manager Joe Cummings said. "Scott is the kind of player we probably wouldn't have found in the draft."

The Breakers also selected defender Kasey Moore in the third round, forward Kelly Schmedes and defender Ariel Harris in the sixth round, forward Lindsay Vera in the seventh round, midfielder Ashley Nick in the eighth round, midfielder Allison Martino in the ninth round, and midfielder Stacy Bishop and goalkeeper Jaimel Johnson in the final round.

The Breakers have a respected nucleus of midfielder Angela Hucles, midfielder/forward Kristine Lilly, and Mitts, each player allocated from the US women's national team. Hucles and Mitts started on the 2008 US Olympic team, and Lilly was a member of the 1996 and 2004 gold medal-winning US teams.

DiCicco said the next step is to let the players know his expectations for fitness by training camp, which begins March 1.

The final roster - 18 senior players and four developmental players - must be determined by March 25.

The Breakers play their first home game April 11 at 7 p.m. against Saint Louis Athletica at Harvard Stadium.

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2009/01/17/breakers_nobis_shores_up_game/

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »
Feels so good to be last for former CJ standout
by Sean McClelland
Staff Writer, Dayton Daily News, Dayton, Ohio

Saturday, January 24, 2009

With 69 of the 70 picks in last week's inaugural Women's Professional Soccer draft off the board, Jamiel Johnson was teamless but not hopeless.

"It was kind of a nail-biter," the Chaminade Julienne grad said. "Definitely a long wait."

It ended happily when the Boston Breakers, one of the new league's seven franchises, called to inform the University of Tennessee All-American goalkeeper they had chosen her last overall.

"It came down to me and another keeper," Johnson said from campus. "They chose me. ... It's like a dream come true."

Now, if only this league fares better than its forerunner.

The WPS sprouts from the rubble of the Women's United Soccer Association, which folded in 2003. Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash and Yahoo! President and COO Jeff Mallett are part owners, so hopes are high.

"It's a good time to be starting up," Johnson said. "There's so much excitement and support behind women's soccer. It's grown tons in the U.S."

Johnson moved with her family from South Carolina to Kettering while in elementary school. Doug Lehman, her coach at CJ, called her a "once-in-a-lifetime athlete," and she proved it this past season in leading the Volunteers to the NCAA tournament. She was named MVP of the Southeastern Conference tournament after allowing two goals and making 13 saves through three matches and stopping two penalty kicks in a semifinal shootout with LSU.

Johnson's toughness is the stuff of legend down south. After breaking her collarbone as a sophomore and having a plate and nine screws inserted, she came back three weeks earlier than expected to lead UT to the NCAA Sweet 16.

In Boston, she'll play for Tony DiCicco, the former coach of the U.S. women's national team. Kristine Lilly and Heather Mitts, veterans of that squad, are marquee names on the roster, which also includes No. 1 overall draft pick Amy Rodriguez from USC. Play starts March 29.

"It's going to be a very good team," said Johnson, who is on course to graduate with a degree in sports management. "I'm real excited."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/high-schools/2009/01/24/ddn012409spinside.html

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
Call It a Comeback
with women's pro soccer ready to strike with a new league, Boston Breakers head coach Tony DiCicco, 60, believes that, this time, failure is not an option.

By Sheila Eldred - January 25, 2009

You've devoted your career almost exclusively to coaching women's soccer (most notably, the 1999 women's national team), and this spring you'll coach the Boston Breakers. Women generally play by the same rules on the field, but do men and women respond differently to coaching?

Guys are kind of blunt instruments. Guys don't even have to like each other that much and they'll be fine on the field. With women, that isn't going to work. Their relationships are so important that if you don't have them as a unit off the field, it's hard to get the maximum out of them on the field.

So you had to be a quick study in sport psychology?

If I say to the team something like, "Our fitness needs to get to the next level," they will all take that as "Oh, my God, he's talking to me." Guys would be going, "Yeah, that's right. I'm the only fit one here."

How do you stay in shape to keep up with all these fit women that you're coaching?

They inspire you. One of my players has this 13-minute ab thing, which is murder. I got to about eight minutes of it.

Can you score against your goalkeepers?

Yes, if we'd blindfold 'em, I'd probably have a pretty good chance.

You served as commissioner of the WUSA, which folded in 2003. What did you learn?

Everything from sponsorship to marketing to the competition side to creating a fan-friendly festive environment for games to trying to get butts in seats. We did a lot of things right, but we made a lot of mistakes as well.

Such as?

We spent too much money. The business plan was never right. But from an entertainment level, from a competitive level, from a player-development level, every team in three years made the playoffs; it was a different champion in every year; there were very few lopsided scores.

Is that why you think the new league will make it?

Yes. And American women soccer players play sports the way Americans think sports should be played: with tremendous commitment, with fitness, with finding ways to win fairly. Plus, they have this girl-next-door-type demographics.

The Breakers will be the only professional women's sport team in Massachusetts. Do you think Boston will take to an all-female team?

Boston was very close to making money last time. I think we can replicate what we did last time and average around 7,000 fans. I think business plans have a goal of 4,000, 5,000.

How many of the fans were screaming tweens?

It was great family entertainment. It wasn't incredibly expensive. It was easy. It was fun. I still think that is the core demographic.

Your youngest son, now 17, was 4 when you were preparing for the Olympics. Did growing up around the national team affect him?

He was at practice with me one day and Mia Hamm was injured, so she could not participate. Mia sat in the van with him and read him a book.

So she became his favorite player.

Of course. A year or two later, somebody asks him who his favorite player is, and he went, "Well, it's Mia Hamm, but now everybody's copied me." I think that's happened for this whole generation, where boys have looked at these girls and been able to use them as role models.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2009/01/25/call_it_a_comeback/

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
This one's also on Alex's thread, thanks to early bird shlj

Breakers Come to Terms With England Defender Alex Scott
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
by Boston Breakers

Westwood, Massachusetts - The Boston Breakers announced the signing of English National Team defender Alex Scott to a multi-year contract this afternoon. Terms of the deals were not disclosed per team policy.  Scott becomes the second international player to sign with the Breakers, following Canada’s Christine Latham, whose signing was announced on Jan. 9.

“Alex is a great addition to our squad,” said Breakers President and General Manager Joe Cummings.  “She is a young defender who already has a wealth of international experience and can help build our attack from the right back position.”

A versatile player and mainstay on England’s backline with 43 caps (appearances) and eight goals in her international career, Scott was originally selected by the Chicago Red Stars as an international discovery player on Sept. 26. Her WPS playing rights were then traded to the Boston Breakers last month prior to the 2009 WPS Draft. In addition to Scott, the Breakers received Chicago’s sixth and 10th round draft picks, in exchange for Boston’s second and fourth round picks.

In 2007, Scott helped her club team, Arsenal Ladies, to the “quadruple” by winning the English Women’s Premier League, FA and League Cup, as well as the UEFA Women’s Cup (Europe’s top club competition). The defender notched the winning goal for the Gunners in Arsenal’s 1-0 aggregate win over a highly-touted Umeå IK (Sweden) team, then led by current-L.A. Sol and Brazil forward Marta, in the final of that UEFA Women’s Cup.

A supporter of Arsenal as a child, Scott began her pro career with the London club before moving to Birmingham City in 2004. She returned to Arsenal a year later and has since seen action for England in both the 2005 UEFA Women’s Euro Championship, as well as the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup – starting all of England’s matches in both competitions.

The Boston Breakers, one of seven WPS teams, will open its inaugural season in April, 2009, and continue through August. The team will play its home matches at Harvard Stadium.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8492.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 02:32:17 AM »
After all the posts and comments on the forum about Kelly's move to the States, the Breakers have finally made their formal announcement about her signing.

Boston Breakers Sign FIFA World Player of the Year Finalist Kelly Smith
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
by Boston Breakers

Westwood, Mass. (February 18, 2009) – The Boston Breakers announced the signing of England National Team forward Kelly Smith to a multi-year contract this afternoon. Terms of the deals were not disclosed per team policy.

"We are delighted to have signed such a world-class, creative attacking talent such as Kelly Smith," said Breakers President and General Manager Joe Cummings.  "Kelly has been playing at the top level for a long time, and I feel she will have a tremendous impact, not only on our team, but also the league."

Widely considered one of the top players in the world, Smith was the Breakers' first-round selection (second overall) during the Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) International Draft on Sept. 24.  The English international has 76 caps (appearances) and 33 goals over the course of her 14-year career with the national team.

Smith had yet another terrific year in 2008. She was a finalist for the FIFA Women's World Player of the Year award, the second time in her career she has finished in the top five (2006). She was also appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) this past summer in the Queen's Birthday Honours List for services to football.

In 2007, Smith helped lead her club team, Arsenal Ladies, to the "quadruple" by winning the English Women's Premier League, FA and League Cup, as well as the UEFA Women's Cup (Europe's top club competition). Later that summer, Smith was named to the FIFA Women's World Cup All-Tournament Team after scoring four goals in four matches en route to guiding England to the quarterfinals.

Smith was the only English player in the former women's pro league in America when she was a member of the Philadelphia Charge (WUSA) from 2001-03, and a teammate of current Boston Breaker Heather Mitts. She played collegiately in the U.S. for Seton Hall from 1997-99, and was the NCAA's leading scorer for two straight years.

Since returning home to play for Arsenal after eight years in the United States in 2005, Smith has tallied 100 goals in 112 appearances for the London club. Smith began her career with Arsenal during the 1995-96 season, and has played for the English National Team since she was 16 years old.

The Boston Breakers, one of seven WPS teams, will open its inaugural season in April and continue through August. The team will play its home matches at Harvard Stadium

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid9086.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
Now a mom, Lilly yearns to play again
by Chris Elsberry, Staff Writer, Connecticut Post

For Kristine Lilly, the new joys of motherhood have been amazing. Every day with her 6-month-old daughter, Sidney brings something new and exciting.

So much has happened and there is so much more to come, and Lilly is thrilled to be a part of each and every moment.

But lately, in the back of Lilly's mind, there have been these little tugs -- feelings of what she's put aside as memories of her past inch forward.

Come back, they whisper. Come back.

While Lilly celebrated the birth of Sidney in July, in December, she celebrated a birth of another sort -- her return as captain of the U.S. women's national team, when she played in a pair of games against China. It marked her 341st and 342nd caps as a member of the national team, dating back to her very first cap on Aug. 3, 1987, against China. She is the only player, man or women, to play in that many games, and it is a feat that no one will likely ever come close to breaking.

Because even at age 37 (she will be 38 on July 22), and a new mom, Lilly wants to keep playing.

"I missed it a lot. ... It was just fun to be out there again and playing," Lilly said by phone last week. "I realized that I did miss it, so I'm looking forward to the league starting so I can practice every day with the team, which is going to be awesome."

Her team is the Boston Breakers, a member of the seven-team Women's Professional Soccer league. The Breakers will begin a 20-game schedule in early April and continue through August.

It is the second attempt for a women's pro soccer league in the U.S. In 2001, the Women's United Pro Soccer Association started play in the aftermath of the national team's victory in the 1999 Women's World Cup. But after just three seasons, the league folded.

Lilly feels this league has a much better chance for survival.

"I think the WUSA had a lot of positives, but I think the one negative was the budget and the finance side," Lilly said. "So hopefully, the WPS will take a lot of the great things that the WUSA had, which was the game itself, the athletes and promote that. And this time, we're going to be starting on a smaller scale. They've learned some lessons and the pay scale for the players is starting off a little lower than it was with the WUSA, but we can grow and I think that's great.

"The product itself is going to be great. The tickets aren't going to be expensive. I think it's going to be a deal out there for a sporting event. It'll be a great thing for people to take their kids to."

Practice with the Breakers is going to start at the end of the month, which is none too soon for Lilly, who was interested in playing in the upcoming Algrave Cup in Portugal with the national team but was left off the roster by head coach Pia Sundhage.

"It wasn't my decision. I think she wants to look at other players, so I'll kind of just wait this opportunity out," Lilly said. "In May and June, there are some friendlies, and hopefully, I'll be a part of that. But if that's not a go, maybe there are some changes."

Lilly has mainly been a midfielder. She scored 129 goals, second only to Mia Hamm, and has 103 assists, again second only to Hamm. She played in three Olympics, winning two gold medals and a silver.

Lilly has played in five World Cups, winning two gold and three bronze medals. She is the all-time leader in minutes played, nearly 27,000, which is over 450 hours on the soccer field.

"I would like to stay (with the national team), it's just a matter of fitting it in," Lilly said. "Pia, she wants to see new players. She's obviously seen me before, so I think it's just finding out if the fit is going to work.

"I'm taking it month by month and year by year. "I remember being in the last World Cup (2007) and saying this is my last, but you know what? Maybe not. We'll see."

Lilly has recently spoken to several schools and conducted a number of soccer clinics. She may one day take a new direction -- coaching.

For now, she gets daily practice being a new mom.

"It's great. It's crazy but it's great," Lilly said. "Life is different but amazing all at the same time."

http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_11706980

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 01:05:41 PM by redrobin »

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
Boston Breakers Sign Brazilian Fabiana and Canadian Candace Chapman
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
by Boston Breakers

Westwood, Massachusetts - The Boston Breakers completed their international signings with the announcement of Brazilian National Team forward Fabiana and Canadian National Team defender Candace Chapman to multi-year contracts this afternoon. Terms of the deals were not disclosed per team policy.

The two players join England National Team players Kelly Smith and Alex Scott, as well as Canada’s Christine Latham as Boston’s league-maximum five international players.

Fabiana played on Brazil's silver medal-winning Olympic Team last summer in Beijing.  An up-and-coming forward, she came on as a substitute in both Brazil crucial semifinal and final matches against Germany and the United States, respectively.

She scored a pair of goals for Brazil during the 2006 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, and was set to compete in the 2008 competition until she suffered a knee injury while playing for her club team in Sao Paulo, S.C. Corinthians, in the Brazilian Paulista Championship in October just prior to the tournament. Prior to Corinthians, Fabiana played for Sport Huelva F.C. in Spain.

“Fabiana is very fast and fits that quick Brazilian mold with lot of flair to her game," said Breakers head coach Tony DiCicco.  "She is young and will be fun for fans to watch develop. She’s coming off an ACL injury, so we will have to be patient with her, but her flair will be a nice addition to our attacking style of play.”

Chapman has become a mainstay for the Canadian National Team in recent years, starting every match for her country in the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup and the 2008 Summer Olympics.  The Ajax, Ontario-native has the distinction of not only being the first soccer player to score a goal at the Beijing Games, but she was also the first athlete to score a point of any kind in the entire 2008 Olympics as her opener in a 2-1 win over Argentina came two days prior to Opening Ceremonies.

A former collegiate standout and All-American at Notre Dame, Chapman has recorded 62 caps and five goals for Canada. She helped lead the Vancouver Whitecaps to the W-League Championship in 2006.

“Candace brings a wealth of international experience having started for Canada in the last World Cup and Olympic tournament,” said DiCicco. “She is versatile, very athletic and gives us some options on where we can use her. She is another exciting player that Boston Breakers fans will enjoy watching.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid9368.aspx