Author Topic: St. Louis Athletica  (Read 13162 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: St. Louis Athletica
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »
Athletica acquire Fletcher and Welsh in trade with Sol

by Womensprosoccer.com
8th May 2009
St. Louis, Missouri

Athletica Head Coach and General Manager Jorge Barcellos announced today that Saint Louis Athletica of the new Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) league have traded a conditional draft pick in 2010 and a first round draft pick in 2011 to the Los Angeles Sol in exchange for defender Kendall Fletcher and forward Christie Welsh.

"We had no choice due to Daniela’s injury so we had to make a change in the roster. We lacked a little bit of offense and we lacked physical play in the middle," said Barcellos. "Fletcher has a lot of potential and is a very physical player in the middle and Welsh is a player who shoots well from outside of the box. I hope they can contribute to what we are doing here in St. Louis."

Christie Welsh, 28 years old, joins Saint Louis Athletica after a distinguished career with the United States Women’s National Team. Welsh has been capped 39 times with the U.S. and has scored 20 goals over the span of her career. Welsh played collegiately at Penn State University where she scored 82 goals and added 52 assists in a sterling four-year career that saw her honored as the first ever four-time NSCAA All-American in the history of women’s collegiate soccer.

"I am very excited and looking forward to joining a great team and an outstanding organization," said Welsh. "I can definitely contribute on the offensive end and I know my role will become more specific once I begin training with the team."

Kendall Fletcher, 24 years old, will be rejoining her collegiate teammate Lori Chalupny. Fletcher and Chalupny were in the same class at the University of North Carolina and were members of the Tarheels undefeated 27-0-0 NCAA National Championship team in 2003. Fletcher and Chalupny, along with Athletica midfielder Angie Woznuk and forward Kerri Hanks, also played together with the 2002 U.S. Women’s U-19 National Team that won that years World Cup Championship in Canada.

"From a playing standpoint I am thrilled to be joining Saint Louis Athletica," said Fletcher. "I am really excited because I know a lot of the players here. They have had a slow start in terms of wins and losses but they are an extremely dynamic team."

"I think we acquired two world class players," said Athletica Captain Lori Chalupny. "I think Kendall Flecther is one of the best defenders in the United States and Christie Welsh is a powerful forward with a knack for burying her chances. I think they will certainly blend in with the team and help us in our goal of winning the WPS Championship."

The Sol will receive a conditional 2010 first-round draft pick and a 2011 first-round draft pick. The conditional 2010 first-round draft pick becomes a 2010 second-round draft pick if Athletica fail to finish the season as one of the top five teams in the WPS.

"We would like to thank both Kendall and Christie for their time with the Sol," said Los Angeles Sol General Manager Charlie Naimo. "While we are sad to see players of their talent and character leave, we feel that this trade provides us with a great opportunity to build for the future."

In addition to Fletcher and Welsh, Athletica received the Sol's second-round selection in the 2011 WPS Draft.

McNeill able to play for Athletica on Saturday

On Thursday evening, May 7, 2009, the WPS Commissioner suspended two players for one game each.  League policy provides that a player shall not play during the period of the appeal process unless the Commissioner, in her discretion, determines otherwise. 

One suspended player's team (Abby Wambach #20, Washington Freedom) does not have a game scheduled until after the seven-day appeal period, the second player's team (Kia McNeill #6, Saint Louis Athletica) has a game scheduled for Saturday, May 9.   

The Commissioner has determined that the one-day window between the Thursday-evening decision and the Saturday game is a unique and extenuating circumstance and will make a one-time exception to allow McNeill to play this weekend during the pendency of any appeal, should there be one.

Neither player has formally appealed to the league. They have until Thursday, May 14.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/general/090508-athletica-acquire-welsh-fletcher

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »
No team better than the Sol to make a swap with. Abner Rogers made sure he stacked his team with players who could go in, and pick up right where the player coming out left off. Kudos to Coach Barcellos!

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 05:31:30 AM »
:D  Athletica get their first win!!! Lori Chalupny nets a goal in the 16th minute, and STL holds on to beat FCGP!!

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
Athletica shut out Chicago

BRIDGEVIEW, ILL. — Missing five of their opening-day starters was no problem for the Athletica, who weathered a first-half attack from Chicago, controlled the second half and cruised to a 2-0 victory over the Red Stars on Saturday at Toyota Park.

Eniola Aluko, one of the Athletica's few internationals not away on national team duty, scored one goal and caused an own goal as the Athletica won their second straight game. Jillian Loyden, making her first appearance of the season filling in for Hope Solo in goal, had some nice saves as the Athletica held their opponent scoreless for the third time in four games. The win, which avenged the Athletica's loss to the Red Stars in their season opener, also pushed the Athletica into fifth place in the WPS.

Both teams had to jumble their lineups for the match because of Monday's United States-Canada friendly, with seven starters from the teams called in by the two nations. The Athletica lost three starters — Solo, midfielder Lori Chalupny and forward-defender Melissa Tancredi, who plays for Canada — while Chicago was missing four players. St. Louis was also without defender Kia McNeill, who was serving a one-game suspension stemming from its game with Washington on May 3, and midfielder Daniela, who is likely out for the season with a severe knee injury. It was a very makeshift lineup that coach Jorge Barcellos put on the field, not that you could tell by how the team played, especially in a dominant second half.

"I'm not saying we didn't miss Lori and Hope today," Aluko said, "but the players that came in for them were ready. We all performed as a group, and it's a testimony to the team that we're a strong squad."

No one was happier after the game than Loyden, who as the backup to Solo will see very little playing time. But in her first real match in nine months, she made six saves, including knocking two dangerous shots over the bar in the first half to preserve the shutout.

"She was amazing," Athletica defender Tina Ellertson said. "She came up with big saves at big moments. She was ready to step in. With Hope being gone, she was ready to step up and give a shot for us today, and she did."

"It was certainly a change of pace from practicing every day," Loyden said. "But the transition was so easy thanks to my teammates and the coaching staff and how much faith they've had in me the last two weeks. They gave me such confidence. I'm just on Cloud Nine I'm so excited."

Loyden admitted to some pregame jitters — "The girls just kept talking to me, 'Jill, you're going to be great, you're going to be fine, we have such faith in you,'" she said — but was cool in the match, especially in a first half when Chicago controlled the flow of play and had six shots and four corner kicks. The Athletica, meanwhile, had only a few offensive forays and were rewarded with two goals, which helped take some of the pressure off Loyden.

In the 26th minute, Aluko chased down a long ball outside the Chicago box, turned the corner on the defender and came in on Chicago goalie Caroline Jonsson along the end line. Aluko tried to cross the ball to teammate Kerri Hanks, but before it got there, the ball hit defender Ifeoma Dieke and bounced over Jonsson's head and into the goal.

Fifteen minutes later, Aluko put the ball in directly. Angie Woznuk, who took over playmaking duties in Chalupny's absence, played a ball into the box to Kendall Fletcher. Her shot was blocked and came right to Aluko, who easily scored from 8 yards out. It was her second goal of the season.

At the other end, Loyden was making the saves she had to, leaping to tip two dangerous shots over the bar and then grabbing another ball off a Chicago player's head.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/soccer/story/135660246E98D489862575C000103307?OpenDocument

Some photo's from the game here -

http://stltoday.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=761354&CategoryID=38576&view=1
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 12:44:39 PM by David »

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 03:20:28 AM »
That was an EXCELLENT match yesterday. STL turned up the heat, and it paid off!! They were ready for whatever was thrown at them from the first whistle. Absolutely impressive.  :)

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 12:03:25 AM »
St Louis winning 1-0 at half time with Eni Aluko scoring , she is up against Anita Asante playing for Sky Blue F C. Very good match so far.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »
FT Sky Blue 1 St Louis 2

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
St Louis winning 1-0 at half time with Eni Aluko scoring , she is up against Anita Asante playing for Sky Blue F C. Very good match so far.

Got to agree with you there Pat it was a very good match, probably one of the best WPS matches I've seen. Aluko is looking really good for St. Louis and Asante solid as always, bodes well for the Euros.

Do not understand why Kai was not subbed during the second half, know they were chasing the game, but they had all the possession and she was clearly injured. Impressive that she played on though and played a part in the goal.

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
Felt sorry for Sky Blue as they had most of the play and deservedly got level in the last quarter but were beaten by a complete fluke goal . Saint Louis competed well and Eni was always a good outlet player though she was offside a lot. Anita was really cool at the back, surely it will help our Euro chances to have half the team playing at such a high level week in week out. Kai seemed to be trying to convince the coach to take her off, without success! Its just a pity that the League is all but over with L A seventeen points clear....all the other teams seem evenly matched.

Offline Rach_83

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
Felt sorry for Sky Blue as they had most of the play and deservedly got level in the last quarter but were beaten by a complete fluke goal . Saint Louis competed well and Eni was always a good outlet player though she was offside a lot...... Its just a pity that the League is all but over with L A seventeen points clear....all the other teams seem evenly matched.

Yeh she was off a lot, including the goal maybe? they never showed a great angle of it to be sure. Yeh I can't see anyone beating LA even with the crazy American play off system, as all the decent players will be at the Euros  ;) except Marta of course.

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 07:14:42 PM »
Aluko being offside a lot, thats not want I wanted to hear! Thats one of the reasons that makes her frustrating to watch. I didn't notice it so much in the few games I've watched tho so hopefully she is better.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2010, 02:08:19 AM »
Saint Louis Athletica to Shut Down

Financial Shortfall by Athletica’s Owner Forces Mid-season Close

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (May 27, 2010) – The Saint Louis Athletica in Women’s Professional Soccer are shutting down their franchise as a funding crisis has left the team without the necessary funds to operate for the 2010 WPS Season. The Athletica players will be available as free agents to other WPS teams as of Tuesday, June 1.

Just two weeks ago, the league learned of a cash flow shortage at St. Louis Soccer United – which includes the owner of the Saint Louis Athletica and a St. Louis men’s team – that threatened the remainders of both teams’ seasons. After a thorough and extensive review of the situation together with interested parties, which involved the League covering the funding shortfall for the Athletica’s last two player payrolls, the Athletica have folded their franchise. WPS will re-make the remaining schedule for the 2010 WPS season as a seven-team league – the same number that took part during the WPS Inaugural Season.

“It’s incredibly difficult to lose a team in mid-season like this,” said WPS Commissioner Tonya Antonucci. “We looked at a few options as a league together with our Board and U.S. Soccer, but the operational hurdles and finances just didn’t work out. In the face of a severe funding gap in St. Louis, the local ownership group is shutting down the team at this point.”

The rest of the 2010 WPS Schedule without Saint Louis Athletica will be revised and released next week. The previously completed six league games against Saint Louis will count in the standings and the Athletica will not play in this weekend’s previously scheduled game.

“This is a setback, but it’s one individual franchise and the loss of a team is an unfortunate reality of pro sports,” said Antonucci. “We’ll continue to have great games and an exciting season for our fans. The solid foundation that we built in 2009 is there. We have the same number of teams that we had last year during a successful first season. We’ll get through this stronger and keep moving the league and business forward.”

Saint Louis Athletica players will still be eligible for the 2010 WPS All-Star Game presented by the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve if they are rostered on another WPS team by Friday, June 11. As of June 1, Athletica players are no longer under club contracts and can sign with any team as free agents.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/stlouis

Offline Hanna Ljungberg Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
“Everybody (in WPS) sustained losses last year that were bigger than they expected. The Sol did no worse than anybody else, but they were just in a bad position that their owner said right up front they were in it for one year whether they lost zero dollars or the most you could think of. The lesson is you don’t let anybody into the league who is only in it for one year.”

Jeff Cooper 2 february 2010

no comment

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »
devils advocate..? Bodes well for the super league maybe?