Author Topic: St. Louis Athletica  (Read 14797 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: St. Louis Athletica
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »
Boston Breakers Hand Saint Louis Athletica Second Straight Loss

Saturday, April 11, 2009
by Tony Hubert

BOSTON - Athletica’s first road match of the year turned into a near repeat of their home opener. Dominating play early, outshooting their opposition by a wide margin, and unfortunately failing to score for their second straight match as they fell 2-0 to the Boston Breakers Saturday night at Harvard Stadium.

It was a near carbon copy repeat of last week’s performance against Chicago. Once again Saint Louis controlled play in the first 45 minutes yet went to the locker room 0-0 at the half. And once again their opponent struck first in the second half against the run of play.

“Its something we have been talking about the whole week. We have been practicing on how to score,” said Head Coach Jorge Barcellos. “It has been frustrating but we are working on it.”

“Our focus at this point has to be to score goals, we are playing well together and creating chances but we have to put the ball in the back of the net,” said Athletica Captain Lori Chalupny. “I don’t know why we aren’t scoring. Part of it is being unlucky, We had some great shots that just took a deflection or something. We just need to stay composed around the box.”

England International Kelly Smith gave the Breakers the lead in the 53rd minute on a goal assisted by Kelly Schmedes. Saint Louis held a nearly 4 to 1 shot advantage at that stage yet found themselves trailing once again despite their efforts up to that point.

“We have played well two weeks in a row but have zero points, at some point we have to get results,” concluded Chalupny.

The game started with promise and Athletica Head Coach Jorge Barcellos made no changes to his lineup from last weeks home opener. And just like in the home opener Athletica brought the play to their opponent in the early going when an Eniola Aluko cross set up an early corner kick for Daniela to take at the 5 minute mark. Boston responded just minutes later winning their first corner of the match in the 8th minute.

Unlike last week their were no shots taken by either side in the first 15 minutes as each team looked for a way to get something towards the goal. While there was a lack of shooting early on there were plenty of fouls in what was a rough game to that point. Athletica committed five fouls in the opening 20 minutes to Boston’s one. Sara Larsson picked up the game’s first yellow card for a hard tackle on Kelly Smith in the 21st minute.

“It was a chippy game altogether,” stated Chalupny.

Athletica took the first good chance of the game in the 24th minute when Kerri Hanks got on the end of a Lori Chalupny cross but was denied a goal as Breaker goalkeeper Kristin Luckenbill came up with a great save. Boston got on the attack in the ensuing minutes but Athletica’s back line was able to clear consecutive build ups by the Breakers.

Brazil’s Daniela got off just the second shot of the game at the half hour mark and Boston’s Kristine Lilly answered with one of her own two minutes later. Lori Chalupny had a chance in the 35th minute but was unable to steer her shot on goal. Kerri Hanks took her second chance in the 38th minute and Chalupny followed up with another at the 40th minute mark forcing a save as Athletica began to dominate play towards halftime.

Eniola Aluko managed a shot in the 44th minute but Luckenbill made another save to keep Saint Louis off the board. One minute later Angie Woznuk took her first shot of the match but still no goal for Saint Louis who outshot Boston 8 to 1 in the opening 45 minutes.

The second half started with Jorge Barcellos making a tactical switch. Sheree Gray came on for Eniola Aluko. Gray moved to right back and Tina Ellertson moved to forward. The moved paid dividends as Athletica managed another flurry of shots including one on target from Kerri Hanks.

Boston would take just their second shot of the game in the 53rd minute as Amy Rodriguez launched an effort towards goal. Seconds later Boston would take the lead when Kelly Smith found the back of the net on a set up from Kelly Schmedes.

The Boston goal prompted Jorge Barcellos to use his second substitution as he brought on Francielle in the 55th minute and took off Daniela. Francielle was also brought in as a second half sub in the April 4 home opener.

“Daniela is just coming back from injury and she was making a lot of bad passes. Matter of fact the first goal she lost the ball and that’s how the goal happened,” said Barcellos. “And Daniela was playing a little bit wide, I wanted her to play in the middle a little bit more. She was going too far wide and that’s why I subbed her out.”

Kelly Smith turned another shot on goal in the 62nd minute forcing a quality save from Hope Solo and subsequently won a corner kick but Saint Louis was able to clear and relieve the pressure.

Athletica’s second yellow card of the game came in the 68th minute when Melissa Tancredi committed a hard foul on Kristine Lilly. Boston managed a shot off the free kick but Athletica’s back line cleared again. But for the first time in the match Athletica seemed to be losing steam and looked off the pace as Boston grabbed the momentum heading into the last 20 minutes.

In the 74th minute Jorge Barcellos made his last substitution, another tactical change as he brought on Elise Weber for Lisa Stoia. Weber moved to left back and Melissa Tancredi went up front as a third forward joining Hanks and Ellertson as Athletica began their final push in the last 15 minutes.

Alex Scott picked up a yellow card in the 79th minute when she brought down Lori Chalupny. Sara Larsson and Kelly Smith then got into a shoving match. As play resumed Melissa Tancredi picked up a foul as she brought down Kristine Lilly.

Boston killed off the game in the 87th minute when Kristine Lilly got her shot past Hope Solo. Kelly Smith had the assist. Boston evens up their record while Athletica fall to 0-2 on the year.

Next up for Saint Louis will be the Los Angeles Sol at Hermann Stadium on April 25 for a 3:00 kickoff.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid11192.aspx?team=stlouis

Saint Louis Athletica:  1 Hope Solo, 2 Kerri Hanks, 4 Sara Larsson, 6 Kia McNeill, 7 Lisa Stoia (12 Elise Weber, 74), 8 Tina Ellertson, 9 Eniola Aluko (5 Sheree Gray, 46), 10 Daniella Alves Lima (21 Francielle Manoel Alberto. 55), 11 Angie Woznuk, 14 Melissa Tancredi, 17 Lori Chalupny.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:57:23 AM by redrobin »

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »
Nice to see Kelly doing so well.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 02:43:50 PM »
Los Angeles Sol tie Saint Louis Athletica 0-0 in an intense show down

WPS - Staff Report
25th April, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri

The Los Angeles Sol tied Saint Louis Athletica 0-0 on a hot Saturday afternoon at Robert R. Hermann Stadium in St. Louis.. The Los Angeles Sol (3-0-1) remains undefeated while Saint Louis Athletica (0-2-1) is still seeking their first win.

“It was a very difficult game and we had very good chances. Goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc made huge saves for the team,” said Los Angeles Sol Head Coach Abner Rogers. “It was a physical game and St. Louis had that edge on us. Overall, it was a very exciting game for the fans.”

With close shots on goal by the Sol's Shannon Boxx and Aya Miyama and missed shots from Athletica's Daniela and Lori Chalupny the game remained scoreless in the first half. 

After the half, the action heated up.

In the 73rd minute, Katie Larkin eluded Tina Ellertson and dribbled into the penalty area. Ellertson tried to win the ball back, but was late on a slide tackle clipping Larkin’s back foot and causing a penalty.  Aly Wagner took the kick for the Sol, but was denied by goalkeeper Hope Solo.

“I don’t think she struck it very well,” said Solo. “Nevertheless I was going to my right.”

Following the penalty miss, Athletica dashed to the other end of the field and Daniela nearly scored but pushed her shot wide left. 

Athletica dominated until the 83rd minute, when a flurry of chances inside the area resulted in a handball on Sol Defender Allison Falk. Midfielder Lori Chalupny took the penalty, but Sol keeper Karina LeBlanc was up to the task.  Chalupny’s shot went right down the middle and LeBlanc barely moved as Athletica’s goal scoring drought continued.

“I didn’t hit it where I needed to and LeBlanc was right where I kicked it,” said Chalupny.  “That is the way the season has been going.”

“We have been working mostly on finishing in practice,” said Athletica's coach Jorge Barcellos. “I think what is missing is us being calm and tranquil. I think the pressure to score is getting to them.”

In the 89th minute, Angie Woznuk nearly gave Saint Louis a dramatic winner. Woznuk got to a second ball and put her shot toward the upper left hand corner only for Karina LeBlanc to make a spectacular save.

“Anytime you have seasoned world-class players missing like we did today with Marta, Camille Abily, and Han Duan you definitely miss their talent,” said Rogers. “We are looking forward to the challenge in Boston next week.”

Saint Louis Athletica returns to action against the Washington Freedom in the WPS Sunday on FSC televised match on Sunday May 3, at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Germantown, Maryland. The game kicks off at 6pm ET.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/general/090425-athletica-host-sol

Saint Louis Athletica: 1 Hope Solo, 2 Kerri Hanks (9 Eniola Aluko, 53), 6 Kia McNeill, 7 Lisa Stoia, 8 Tina Ellertson, 10 Daniella Alves Lima, 11 Angie Woznuk, 12 Elise Weber, 14 Melissa Tancredi (20 Ashlee Pistorius, 71), 17 Lori Chalupny, 19 Nikki Cross (5 Sheree Gray, 46)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 02:21:35 AM »
Saint Louis Athletica tie Washington Freedom 3-3

WPS - Staff Report
3rd May 2009
Germantown, Maryland

Saint Louis Athletica's three goals weren't enough to keep the Washington Freedom from mounting a late-match attack, scoring two goals in the final 15 minutes to see the game end in a 3-3 tie.

Athletica got on the board first at the seven minute mark as Daniela knocked home a rebound off Freedom goalkeeper Spisak's save.  Washington's Sonia Bompastor tied the score in the 29th minute, but Daniela would have a chance to make it 2-1 late in the second half off a left-footed strike from 25-yards out. 

There was plenty of physical play, Abby Wambach taking the brunt of a lot of it. 

The rain appeared to make things difficult for both teams in the second half, but Aluko took advantage in the 69th minute and slipped the ball just beyond Spisak to put Athletica up 3-1.  On the restart, Athletica's Daniela went down with an injury and was forced to leave the match.

Things soon turned around for Washington as Lisa De Vanna scored a header off a selfless Abby Wambach pass in front of the goal.  And in the 90th minute, Bompastor scored the equalizer for the Freedom that will send Athletica home, winless once again.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/general/090503-was-stl

Saint Louis Athletica:  1 Hope Solo, 6 Kia McNeill, 7 Lisa Stoia, 8 Tina Ellertson (19 Nikki Cross, 74), 9 Eniola Aluko, 10 Daniella Alves Lima (5 Sheree Gray, 83), 11 Angie Woznuk, 12 Elise Weber, 14 Melissa Tancredi (2 Kerri Hanks, 67), 17 Lori Chalupny, 21 Francielle Manoel Alberto.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:32:34 AM by redrobin »

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 04:18:05 AM »
My friend from El Salvador had gotten to my house with his wife after the game started, and when he saw Abby Wambach take out Daniela, he jumped up and started yelling, "Red card! That's a damn red card!!" He said some other stuff in Spanish that I couldn't make out too well, but I got the jest of it. He was also highly impressed with Aluko's speed, and Daniela's goal from distance. I've gotten him into the WPS matches, and they are here every Sunday to watch with Misha and me.

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 10:22:51 PM »
The commentators were getting angry with the physical defending on Abby Wambach, the first was a strong shoulder barge in my opinion and the 2nd was a mixture of a shoulder barge and a shove. They should watch some other national women's teams play like Sweden, they are proper physical!
It was sad to see Daniela get injured, she looks really exciting to watch, just like all the brazil ladies. Her 2nd goal was great.

Yay Aluko scored! I feared it wasn't coming as she kept impressing with her pace but being let down on her touch and her choice of pass. I'm hoping she can improve a lot in this league as England will love to have a pacey striker thats good in front of goal.

I've gotten him into the WPS matches, and they are here every Sunday to watch with Misha and me.
Nice work!

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 01:12:50 AM »
Aluko is super fast, for sure. I've only seen her play once before, and it was against the US during the WWC. She was speedy then, too, but darn!! She turned up the burners racing for the ball, and I'm suprised the Freedom defense didn't pass out from trying to keep up with her. I know I would've!!

I hope Daniela is going to be OK, and yeah, ole' Jenn and Mark were getting mad about Abby getting knocked around, but she's dealt with it for years. But it didn't look like Abby slipped on the wet pitch into Daniela to me. I am patiently waiting for the replay of the game tomorrow afternoon, and I have to say, I have found a new respect for STL. They were the only team that had no televised games til Sunday, and they were ferocious and darn well fierce. If Daniela isn't able to play for a while, Eniola's speed, "Chalupa"'s ability to lead and Hope Solo's keeping skills HAVE to lead the team. The Althletica defense needs to keep the other teams from getting set pieces and face to face shots with Solo. Hope can handle anything from distance, and she's unbeatable that way, but anything closer, she's vunerable. She always has been.   

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
I've just seen the replay of the Abby tackle and it doesn't look malicious, Daniela had a bad touch on the ball so it escaped from her and Abby saw a chance to get teh ball back, slid in but Daniela also went for the ball at the same time, got to it 1st and Abby went into her outstretched leg, ow! A big clumsy challenge basically, worth a yellow card but not a red I think.

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:23 PM »
Daniela is out for the rest of the season. She has a cracked tibia and ligament damage. There was nothing in the report about surgery, so she probably just needs time, patience and a cast for them to heal. I watched Fox Football Fone-In on FSC last night, and the guys said that the WPS was going to look at the game again, and Abby could face suspension.

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »
Really, suspension?! Maybe I need to watch the replay again!!

Daniela must be gutted, as well as Athletica, Aluko is really going to feel the pressure now

shlj

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 11:24:10 PM »
I watched the video again, it is a two footed leg breaker  :o in England she would get away with nothing probably.

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »
She deserves suspension. There's nothing else to it. Abby Wambach, of ALL people, know how hard it is to try and return from a horrible accident on the field, and then to commit the foul that caused one? Ridiculous!! Sooo...I don't know if Abby had a flashback to the Brazil friendly before the Olympics or what...there is a great article at Goal.com about this. I'll post it at the WPS thread.

shlj

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:44 AM »
There is a section in the law of the game about serious foul play page 119 :

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent muts be sanctionned as serious foul play.
A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off"

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
Statement from Wambach: “In regards to the injury Daniela sustained during our game, the thing I need to convey most is how hard it is for a player who has sustained a significant injury in the past year to now be on the other side of it,” Wambach said. “It’s been crucial for me to find out exactly what injuries Daniela has sustained because of how important I know she is to the Saint Louis franchise. I’ve been in contact with a close friend on the team to stay updated. Unfortunately soccer is a physical game and players do get injured. There was no intent on my side to cause any harm. I wish Daniela nothing but the speediest of recoveries. My thoughts and prayers are with her.”

shlj

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »
Unfortunately soccer is a physical game and players do get injured. There was no intent on my side to cause any harm.
Regardless of the intent, injuring another player with a wild and dangerous tackle should be punished.

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
Yes, it should! The commissioner had better make the right decision on this. If she doesn't, then how can the WPS truly be considered the best womens' league in the world? The best league would follow ALL rules, regardless of the superstar who broke them!!

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 12:00:19 PM »
But if all players were punished when they injured someone wouldn't that scare players to go in for the tackle.

I agree that she was hot headed and shouldn't have slid in but players get passionate about the game and thats what makes it such an exciting game to watch.

Offline Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
WPS has issued the following statement after its review of the match:

"The League Disciplinary Committee has completed its review of a number of on-field incidents in the May 3, 2009, game between the Washington Freedom and Saint Louis Athletica. In the Committee’s collective opinion, none of them met the very specific criteria for over-ruling the decisions of the game referee, and therefore further disciplinary measures were not imposed.

However, the Commissioner may independently exercise her discretion to further review the match and assess penalties based upon conduct that is detrimental to the best interests of WPS, the integrity of its matches and the protection of its Players. The Commissioner has elected to and is in the process of reviewing the circumstances of the Freedom-Athletica match, and it is expected that she will announce the results of her review by the end of business on Thursday, May 7th. If, based on her review, the Commissioner determines that penalties are appropriate, such penalties may include fines, youth sports-oriented community service, or suspensions."

shlj

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »
But if all players were punished when they injured someone wouldn't that scare players to go in for the tackle.
That would clean the game of bad and dangerous tackles.
I see every week players going at full steam without thinking of the possible consequences of their act.
And the worse are the referees not acting on it.

By the way it is funny that the disciplinary committee consider there is no mesure to be taken but the Commissioner can act above them?

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »
There is a cute article with good pics about the Athletica at the St. Louis Cardinals game at Busch Stadium at the Athletica site.  :)