Author Topic: Friendly vs Luxembourg  (Read 3245 times)

shlj

Friendly vs Luxembourg
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »
Wales Women's team Manager Adrian Tucker has announced the squad to face Luxembourg in the forthcoming friendly match.

The match will take place in Hesperange, Luxembourg, on 30th September.

The squad is as follows:
Nicola Davies (Liverpool Ladies)
Rhian Nokes (Cardiff City Ladies)
Sally Wade (Watford Ladies)
Carla Parfitt (Cardiff City Ladies)
Emma Jones (Bristol Academy)
Kerrie Manley (Bristol Academy)
Sian Cheedy (Team Bath)
Natalie Holt (Liverpool Ladies)
Erin Vaughan (Aston Villa Ladies)
Jessica Fishlock (AZ Alkmaar)
Jayne Ludlow (Arsenal Ladies)
Michelle Green (Bristol Academy)
Katie Daley (Bristol Academy)
Helen Lander (Watford Ladies)
Gwennan Harries (Bristol Academy)
Cheryl Foster (Liverpool Ladies)
Loren Dykes (Cardiff City Ladies)
Joanne Edwards (Liverpool Ladies)

http://www.fgmag.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=5520

There is a familiar name that I have highlighted. A bit of a shock to be honest.
I am sure she will score loads of goals for Wales instead of those she would have scored for England.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:09:13 AM by shlj »

Offline pat51

• View Profile
Re: Friendly vs Luxembourg
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »
Great reinforcement for the Welsh team who struggled so much in the Euro qualification group. Saw two of their home games and they lost 0-1 each time and looked in dire need of a striker. Now they have one of  the best all round forwards in England to work with Gwen Harries who is a strong goalscoring winger. Guess Helen got fed up waiting for an England squad call up....

shlj

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
Quite funny that an England international can play for Wales ???

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »
Did Helen play for the U-23 team at some time ?

shlj

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »
She played at the Nordics and for England University.

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
For Helen to be eligible to play for Wales she would have had to fulfil at least one of the following conditions:

• she was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
  • her biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
  • her grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
  • she has lived on the territory of the relevant Association for at least two years without interruption.

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »
She played at the Nordics and for England University.
I think the Nordics are classed as a friendly tournament and England University side is not the national team.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »
When does a game become classified as sufficiently "unfriendly" (if you know what I mean) so you are now unable to play for another country?
Wales v Luxemburg is a friendly, for instance  :-\
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
" Wales whip Luzembourg"
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »
Fairgame need to re-consider the implications of their headlines...but well done to Twmcats girls, I see Lander got a start and the first goal........ ;D
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

Offline pat51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »
From the Womens Soccer Scene WEBSITE                          LUXEMBOURG 1 WALES 6
Six different players got on the scoresheet as Wales hammered Luxembourg 6-1 in their friendly match in Hesperange.

Although Luxembourg took a 16th minute lead through Janine Hansen, the advantage lasted for only seven minutes as Wales quickly got back on level terms when Emma Jones fired home the rebound following a corner.

Just after the half hour, Helen Lander marked her international debut by scoring her first goal with a cool finish and Gwennan Harries added a third shortly before half time from a well worked free kick.

Luxembourg had been reduced to ten players when Noemie Raths was shown the red card ahead of the break and Wales took full advantage as they pressed for more goals in the second half.

Kerrie Manley further extended their lead from a corner and, five minutes later, Jessica Fishlock got in on the scoring act for the fifth goal.

Captain Jayne Ludlow rounded off a good performance and result for Wales in the dying minutes when she scored the final goal from 20 yards.

Wales: Nicola Davies (sub Rhian Nokes 79mins), Sally Wade (sub Carla Parfitt 61mins), Natalie Holt (sub Erin Vaughan 79mins), Kerrie Manley (sub Sian Cheedy 79mins), Emma Jones, Katie Daley, Gwennan Harries, Jayne Ludlow, Helen Lander (sub Jo Edwards 73mins), Jessica Fishlock (sub Michelle Green 73mins), Cheryl Foster (sub Loren Dykes 61mins).