Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 194297 times)

Sylvain

Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1360 on: July 20, 2011, 07:21:22 AM »
So who devised the schedule ?

Part 1 : 7 games played between the 13th of April and 12th of May
Part 2 : 7 games between the 22nd of July and  28th of August

I mean teams are not playing many games and they are all concentrated in 10 weeks time ?
Then the Superleague Cup and teams can then go on holidays for another 6 months ?
And you can bet the situation will be the same in 2012 with the Olympics preparation.

"ESPN will continue to broadcast a weekly highlights show and a number of live games throughout the season, including The FA WSL Continental Cup Final in September, whilst a dedicated website, www.fawsl.com, and Facebook page www.facebook.com/wsl will keep fans up to date with the latest action and news from the league"

http://www.fawsl.com/news/we_are_back.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:39:21 PM by Sylvain »

Sylvain

« Reply #1361 on: August 06, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
Quite funny because I am watching old episodes of the ESPN review show and the FA says season from April to October...yeah right. Last game is 28/08 plus the Continental Cup and that's it.
Also whoever dos the program does not have much editorial content to put on because I have 4 differents program since the starts of the 2nd phase with the same Dowie interview and 2 differents ones with the same Harrop interview, no table or fixture list...

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1362 on: August 19, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »
Also whoever does the (ESPN) program does not have much editorial content to put on because I have 4 differents program since the starts of the 2nd phase with the same Dowie interview and 2 differents ones with the same Harrop interview, no table or fixture list...

Have to say the WSL has largely passed me by this season too. Chelsea's move to Tooting & Mitcham completely scuppered me in terms of reporting. It's an absolute bitch of a ground to get to. That and the fact I don't get paid for doing so in a tough economic climate has forced me to step back.

When faced with a choice for paid work for Eurosport covering men's Prem, Serie A or La Liga, or schlepping to bloody Tooting to lose money, I'm afraid it's no choice. Sorry, Sylvain, I just don't have your focus or resources to match your travelling devotion. Incidentally, when DO you sleep or eat? And I don't just mean the burgers at Boreham Wood.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying that I think, despite the hopes, the WSL is still largely ignored by the media. It's obviously far better than before, but next season, when the novelty of the first campaign has worn off?   Dunno.

Sylvain

Women's Premier League kicks off – but will the winners get promotion?
« Reply #1363 on: August 22, 2011, 12:06:25 PM »
The second-tier Women's Premier League kicked off on Sunday with its clubs still in the dark as to whether lifting the title next spring will earn promotion to the Women's Super League (WSL).

When the Football Association launched the WSL in April it was with a guarantee that there would be no relegation for two years but that thereafter the summer league might be opened up either by expansion from its original eight clubs or via the promotion/relegation route.

The FA has confirmed , however, that discussions on the WSL's long-term future will not take place until after the completion of its first season, which will end with the league's Continental Cup final on 25 September. That means it remains unclear whether winning the Premier League will earn promotion to the WSL in what will be its third season in 2013.

"It would be good to know what we're playing for going into the new season," said the Sunderland manager, Mick Mulhern, whose team won the Premier League by seven points last season after failing in their bid to become one of the WSL's founder members. "But we'll be trying to win every trophy on offer," he added, "because we still want to have a pop at the Super League and winning more trophies can only help.

"We feel that we would grace the top league. Sunderland FC are more on our side than ever, so the backing is there and, if the seven Sunderland-based players who came through to first-team level with us but are now with Super League clubs chose to return, we would have an extremely strong squad."

Mulhern's side were without a game on the season's opening day due to international commitments. Last season's runners-up, Nottingham Forest, were surprising 4-1 losers to promoted Charlton Athletic while Leeds United beat Watford 2-0 and Reading won 1-0 against Coventry City.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/21/womens-premier-league

Sylvain

« Reply #1364 on: September 01, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »
Thanks to the extreme scheduling from the FA, well some teams on Sunday will not have any official game until the 11th of March 2012.
I bet it is good news for the England team that can therefore gets the England players in camp as much as they want except for the Arsenal/Bristol players involved in the Champions League.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: September 01, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
Thanks to the extreme scheduling from the FA, well some teams on Sunday will not have any official game until the 11th of March 2012.
I bet it is good news for the England team that can therefore gets the England players in camp as much as they want except for the Arsenal/Bristol players involved in the Champions League.
That's what the new Summer Invitation Tournament was all about all along.

Sylvain

« Reply #1366 on: September 08, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
As expected the 1 WSL player maximum per Premier League team is a joke : Leeds has 2 already Bright and Holbrook.

49yardtapin

« Reply #1367 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »
As expected the 1 WSL player maximum per Premier League team is a joke : Leeds has 2 already Bright and Holbrook.

Playing or in the squad, unlimited in the squad isnt it? 1 only can be in the matchday squad?

Sylvain

« Reply #1368 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:39 PM »
I know they voted something at the latest AGM but those rules are not available to public.
It is like the WSL handbook that got published at the end of the competition and make no reference to the fact that champions league qualification for 2012-13 is **** I am still amazed that the FA managed to get an exemption for the second year in a row. You wonder why UEFA has rules and regulations if the FA can just stick 2 fingers to it.

Sylvain

« Reply #1369 on: December 08, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »

Playing or in the squad, unlimited in the squad isnt it? 1 only can be in the matchday squad?
Leeds got an exemption from the management comittee.

Sylvain

FA WSL 2012 FAQ
« Reply #1370 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
File attached as it is a long one. Will rant about it laters, when I have finished reading it  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Elee Timp

Re: FA WSL 2012 FAQ
« Reply #1371 on: April 09, 2012, 02:08:43 PM »
File attached as it is a long one. Will rant about it laters, when I have finished reading it  ;)

1. I'm glad to see they are considering a switch to an actual salary cap for next season and beyond.

The current arrangements are clearly NOT working. The league is being allowed to continue as a lopsided yawnfest - yesterday the 'crowd' at league bottomfeeders Liverpool only scraped into triple figures.

2. I know the other clubs have apparently voted for it, but it is ludicrous to have Vic Akers on the WSL management committee. Vic is a difficult guy to say no to and will have the the weak/ineffective blazers on the board dancing to his tune, as usual.

It's akin to Alex Ferguson on the Premier League board, or Neil Lennon on the SPL board!

3. Their account of the American situation is totally WRONG factually. The first US pro league started in 2001, ran for three seasons, then went belly up. There was no league which started in 2005 and ran for two seasons.

This says to me that the people running our league know nothing about what happened there, don't care enough to find out, and will probably end up making loads of the same mistakes!

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »

1. I'm glad to see they are considering a switch to an actual salary cap for next season and beyond.

The current arrangements are clearly NOT working. The league is being allowed to continue as a lopsided yawnfest - yesterday the 'crowd' at league bottomfeeders Liverpool only scraped into triple figures.

2. I know the other clubs have apparently voted for it, but it is ludicrous to have Vic Akers on the WSL management committee. Vic is a difficult guy to say no to and will have the the weak/ineffective blazers on the board dancing to his tune, as usual.

It's akin to Alex Ferguson on the Premier League board, or Neil Lennon on the SPL board!

3. Their account of the American situation is totally WRONG factually. The first US pro league started in 2001, ran for three seasons, then went belly up. There was no league which started in 2005 and ran for two seasons.

This says to me that the people running our league know nothing about what happened there, don't care enough to find out, and will probably end up making loads of the same mistakes!

I think the conclusions you have come to are both highly debatable and certainly contentious on a number of issues you have touched on.  I certainly think you are wide of the mark on certain key aspects of what you have written about.  

While there is certainly much room for improvement on a number of issues (the FA acknowledge this themselves), I think the FA should be applauded in helping to improve the domestic game and are certainly starting to help make the game more sustainable in the longer term.

I think if we look at season one overall, I think it has to be considered a resounding success and this view has been echoed by managers, players, the host broadcaster and other key stakeholders involved in the game.

While Arsenal did win the domestic treble last season, it was not a case they won it easily.  For most of the campaign they were trying to keep in touch with Birmingham who were sitting at the top of the table for a large part of the season.  In fact the title was only clinched on the last day of the season.

A lot of the teams have improved their playing squads for this coming season and others have promoted from within and are no walkovers.  Look at yesterday, Arsenal had a player advantage for a long period of the match against Everton yet they only won by a narrow one goal margin.  Everton were one of the teams who have not really strengthen from outside but have promoted from within and have had two close encounters with Arsenal over recent weeks.

The average attendances are up throughout the teams and the exposure in the media is staring to improve.  You will get the odd match where attendances are low; you gave the example of Liverpool yesterday.  There are a number of factors behind that. It is fair to say that Liverpool have been one of the teams who have struggled to pick up many points last season and that would certainly have an overall impact on being able to attract a larger crowd for some matches.  I’m sure Liverpool matches against Everton and Arsenal will see much improved attendance figures.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Elee Timp

« Reply #1373 on: April 15, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »

I think the conclusions you have come to are both highly debatable and certainly contentious on a number of issues you have touched on.  I certainly think you are wide of the mark on certain key aspects of what you have written about.  

While there is certainly much room for improvement on a number of issues (the FA acknowledge this themselves), I think the FA should be applauded in helping to improve the domestic game and are certainly starting to help make the game more sustainable in the longer term.

I think if we look at season one overall, I think it has to be considered a resounding success and this view has been echoed by managers, players, the host broadcaster and other key stakeholders involved in the game.

While Arsenal did win the domestic treble last season, it was not a case they won it easily.  For most of the campaign they were trying to keep in touch with Birmingham who were sitting at the top of the table for a large part of the season.  In fact the title was only clinched on the last day of the season.

A lot of the teams have improved their playing squads for this coming season and others have promoted from within and are no walkovers.  Look at yesterday, Arsenal had a player advantage for a long period of the match against Everton yet they only won by a narrow one goal margin.  Everton were one of the teams who have not really strengthen from outside but have promoted from within and have had two close encounters with Arsenal over recent weeks.

The average attendances are up throughout the teams and the exposure in the media is staring to improve.  You will get the odd match where attendances are low; you gave the example of Liverpool yesterday.  There are a number of factors behind that. It is fair to say that Liverpool have been one of the teams who have struggled to pick up many points last season and that would certainly have an overall impact on being able to attract a larger crowd for some matches.  I’m sure Liverpool matches against Everton and Arsenal will see much improved attendance figures.

I wouldn't disagree with the thrust of your argument, John: that they mean well and are probably doing their best.

But that doesn't change my points:

1. An actual salary cap would stop Arsenal hoovering up all the best players. It would save fans the sad, boring spectacle of watching them shoot fish in a barrel season after season.

2. Vic should be nowhere near the management committee. To be fair, he is a strong personality and a winner. But effective football authorities would be holding these sort of characters in check, or perhaps curbing their excesses. Not cravenly letting them write their own rules!

3. What they've written about the American league is total nonsense.

bobbystar

« Reply #1374 on: April 15, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
Last season, when a certain WSL team announced that they would divide salaries FAIRLY equally throughout the squad, several important players immediately left for other teams(presumably for more money), and some potentially important new signings upped and ran for other squads. Had those players stayed and the potential signings signed, it would have left a much more competitive league in place.
Capping at 20k per player X 4 obviously leaves virtually nothing for the rest of the " semi- pro " squad who have little sponsorship(not glamourous enough?) and/or no backing or financial support from their mens club.
What would you do?
1.Lay out 15-20k on 4 or 5 superstars,hoping that they will not be put off by playing with young, inexperienced or lower tier players, or
2.Try and spread salaries more evenly, resulting in a more balanced skill/experience spread.

One would have thought that the FA would have an interest in the latter in the interests of the womens game(as they repeatedly state in their recent FAQ publication). The prescence of even one superstar in some of the squads would reap many benefits in terms of experience, mentoring, moral etc.

Are financial incentives to attract a more even distribution of skill and experience throughout the WSL worth considering?

Has the squad number capping been raised to 23 to accomodate returning players from USA?(so they can return to favourite comfort zones)

Will up and coming youngsters be relegated to the bench after the influx and therefore impede developement when they could have been getting 90 mins elsewhere?

What about a rep from one of last years' WSL bottom 4 to sit on WSL Management Committee? That might even the odds up a bit!

Sylvain

« Reply #1375 on: May 30, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »
I think there has been an obvious overall improvement in the football quality so far compared to season 1. Some pitches are fantastic some are average and some are poor so it does dilute the quality at times. Nevertheless, there are some limits on what can be improved in term of teamwork on the attacking and defending side. That's where something must be done so that players can actually train every day to improve individually. It is not easy of course but for the growth of the League, the game and the National team, there is an immediate need to find more funding so that players can train on a daily basis.
I will take a simple example. The poorest team in France's division 1 Soyaux had their players in training every evening. And they weren't even paid. Only the foreigners were paid actually. The 2 main Leagues in Europe are still ahead of the WSL and with all those positive changes around Europe other Leagues will develop and the English sides will be left behind. You won't see a Champions League English winner for a long time until money can be found.
At England level, the investment is good, England uses the best of the available technology. The return could be better but it is more of a coaching problem.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:26:04 PM by Sylvain »