Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 188443 times)

sylvain

Super League landmark for women's game
« Reply #1340 on: April 12, 2011, 10:25:27 AM »
The first ever semi-professional women's football league in England has arrived. The FA Women's Super League kicks off tomorrow when Arsenal Ladies – who have dominated the game for over a decade – face Chelsea Ladies in what has been described by David Bernstein, the chairman of the FA, as a "true landmark in the game."

This summer eight clubs from across England will compete home and away in a competition in which the Football Association has invested £3m. The league will run from April until October with a break from 12 May to accommodate the Women's World Cup in Germany where the national team will be competing. Matches will be televised and highlights broadcast on ESPN. They will be taking a similar break next year to avoid competing with the London Olympics and Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.

One of the motivations behind the league is to improve the quality and distribution of talent. Arsenal have won 12 of the 17 Women's Premier League titles and been runner-up three times since its inception in 1992. They have won both the FA Cup and League Cup 10 times. But Hope Powell, manager of the women's England team for the past 13 years, is confident the WSL will end that domination and ultimately improve the women's game.

"The domestic programme in England wasn't challenging enough," Powell said. "It has always been Arsenal at the top of the tree for the last 10 years. Now we want the standards across the league to be raised. The fact the league is condensed means some good players will now be sitting on the bench and if they want to play they may have to move. This will help the domestic programme which in turn helps the international programme."

The FA is being careful to make sure that the league is a success. Unlike the men's game with huge salaries, the clubs can pay no more than four players an annual salary in excess of £20,000 – in order to spread talent across the sides. This is also to avoid a repeat of the problems faced by the professional women's league in America. The US may currently be the No 1-ranked nation in the world but after setting up in 2005 the league disbanded after two seasons with financial problems. The Women's Professional Soccer League restarted in 2009 and is made up of six fully-professional sides.

Kelly Simmons, the FA's Head of the National Game who is responsible for the development of grass-roots football in the women's game, says the FA is taking a sensible approach. "The professional women's league in America went bust initially because they tried to go too big, too quickly," she said. "We need to make sure we don't make the same mistake and that we've got enough revenues to sustain eight teams before we try and grow.

"One of the great things about going from 12 teams to eight is you're really honing that quality to the very top players. People watching the game for the very first time want the standard to be as strong as it can be. There's a commitment to opening up the league but we need to make sure we're ready."

The new championship explained

What are the teams?

Arsenal, Birmingham City, Bristol Academy FC, Chelsea, Doncaster Rovers Belles, Everton, Lincoln, Liverpool.

Players to watch

* Karen Carney (Forward, Birmingham) The 23-year-old has returned to England from the Chicago Red Stars. She was part of Arsenal's quadruple-winning side in 2006/07 and the winger has 11 goals in 57 appearances for the national side.

* Rachel Yankey (Midfielder, Arsenal) She has made 108 appearances for England making her the most-capped player currently still playing for the national side. The 31-year-old has won the women's Uefa Cup, FA Cup, Premier League and League Cup.

* Sophie Bradley (Defender, Lincoln) Only 21, she has already captained Leeds and after making her senior England debut in August last year has four caps.

* Faye White (Defender, Arsenal) The 6ft Arsenal and England captain has 29 winners' medals at club level, and 11 goals in 88 appearances for her country.

Opening fixture

Chelsea v Arsenal: Tomorrow, Tooting & Mitcham FC, 17.30. Tickets Adults £4, Children £1. Television ESPN from 17.00.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/super-league-landmark-for-womens-game-2266493.htmlhttp://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/super-league-landmark-for-womens-game-2266493.html

Offline raefil

• View Profile
Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1341 on: April 12, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
Ive mentioned before, but I think the FA has missed a trick by not adopting the American draft system for "rookie" players.

sylvain

« Reply #1342 on: April 12, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
The big question is who would be qualified as "rookie" as there is no Uni system like in the USA ?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 12, 2011, 02:41:08 PM »
Graduates from the FA Centres of Excellence, basically.  They may be linked to clubs such as Arsenal, Blackburn etc but in essence they are run by the FA.  I think its wrong that these teams, having recruited these youngsters from county grass roots leagues, then go on to automatically include the cream of the players into their senior squads.

sylvain

« Reply #1344 on: April 12, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
Do you mean the 16 years old girls ?
It would be difficult to implement for example if a girls from Liverpool wants to play after the COE for  Everton and get sent to Bristol, that could probably disengage her from playing ?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 12, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »
Which is fair comment, Sylvain, its possibly another discussion really as to where these girls, when finished at Centres, should continue their development.  It seems to me that there are very many graduates but very few that actually go on to establish themselves in the game.  There is a big vacuum to be filled from the age of 16 to lets say the age of 19.  I know Arsenal, for example have an academy and perhaps this should have been one og the deciding criterium in offering licences to the super league clubs. 

sylvain

« Reply #1346 on: April 12, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
I have to check the rules but I thought there was some rules about having a COE and an academy as more or less compulsory  ???
What I think is the system will always cater for the elite players coming out of the COEs to the best Academies, but it is true that many girls will have to find new club when they reach 16.
The Arsenal academy for example has recruited from the COE in the first year section 5 girls from the U16 side and girls from Leicester, Sheffield, Eastbourne, Lincoln, Norwich, Wales and Scotland.
I will have a look when I have a computer at home that work to see how many WSL players came from COE, obviously the old dinorsaurs won't have but the younger generation will all come from those IMO.

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 13, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
I have to check the rules but I thought there was some rules about having a COE and an academy as more or less compulsory  ???
What I think is the system will always cater for the elite players coming out of the COEs to the best Academies, but it is true that many girls will have to find new club when they reach 16.
The Arsenal academy for example has recruited from the COE in the first year section 5 girls from the U16 side and girls from Leicester, Sheffield, Eastbourne, Lincoln, Norwich, Wales and Scotland.
I will have a look when I have a computer at home that work to see how many WSL players came from COE, obviously the old dinorsaurs won't have but the younger generation will all come from those IMO.

Our reserve team manager had a good point, girls from grass roots going to centre of Excellences till leaving, should then "have" to play back at the open age club they originally came from for one season only or an "elite-team" wanting that player, that team should have to pay a transfer or compensation fee of say maximum £500. Girls from Manchester C.O.E are being pathwayed into Rochdale Ladies yet Rochdale are a LANCASHIRE affiliated club ?? Local teams should benefit from LOCAL players unless as suggested " a transfer" due to no draft system

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 13, 2011, 08:11:34 PM »
Has it failed to materialise? It is 8pm and I've just sat down after work and can not find any WSL scores/results.. Even the BBC are failing me up to yet :-(

sylvain

« Reply #1349 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
Well it is here and the football quality is the same as the WPL last season for the game I have seen.
Ugly pitch does not help. Funnily enough reading the Lincoln Donnie game, I can foresee a pattern emerging this season ie defensive quality improving.
Teams working with better players will mean less dreadful mistakes from keepers and defenders and less goals.
I am gonna have a look at the average goal per game ratio from last season. It will be a quality improvement for sure but will it be a benefit for the spectator?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:57:49 AM by sylvain »

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1350 on: April 14, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
Can I just say how much I loathe Tooting & Mitcham's ground?  Still, nice to see a crowd of more than 2000 at the game.

fabregas04

« Reply #1351 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »
Went to my first game last night, Chelsea v Arsenal, good game of football by two very good sides, shame about the pitch & the queue for the refreshments !!!!! Great turnout, hopefully with the C O E structure changing next year the girls can actually see what can be achieved, get some stability and hopefully bring some more teams in & the future looks good for the WSL.

sylvain

« Reply #1352 on: April 14, 2011, 12:00:24 PM »
Can I just say how much I loathe Tooting & Mitcham's ground?  Still, nice to see a crowd of more than 2000 at the game.
Hopefully that pitch will improve otherwise Chelsea Ladies will have to play direct football for all those home games which would be a shame considering they have so many technically proficient players like Fay, Perry, Hincks, Buet, Rafferty, Davies Jane and Bird.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 14, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »
I couldn't get to the Lincoln game because of work, but I think 724 fans rattling around in a 10,000 seat stadium is a little disappointing. No doubt a couple of hundred of those were press or wannabe press (Lincoln has a big journalism school).

I'm told it was £6 to get in which seems a bit toppy, considering Chelsea - the SW3 aristocrats - were charging 50% less at £4!

As for the game it sounds similar to the other week at Sunderland, ie. Lincoln did everything but score.

Credit to Donny though, and Vicky Exley - the female Paul Scholes imo  ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 14, 2011, 01:58:19 PM »
Can I just say how much I loathe Tooting & Mitcham's ground?  Still, nice to see a crowd of more than 2000 at the game.
Hopefully that pitch will improve otherwise Chelsea Ladies will have to play direct football for all those home games which would be a shame considering they have so many technically proficient players like Fay, Perry, Hincks, Buet, Rafferty, Davies Jane and Bird.

what a disgrace of a pitch !! The FA should be embarrassed, stopping both sides playing good football, just gives the idiots who berate the womens game more ammunition, as a " TELEVISED showcase fixture" surely they could have "persuaded" a premier League side to let them use their ground as a one off ??.... Personally I would televise all LIVE games from the best playing surface available. Come on FA don't let this exciting venture fail. Good interview pre-match by the England manager replying when asked the question "Will we have a womens PROFESSIONAL league in England?".... to which she replied on the lines of "It would be nice but there's lots more to do and we must get it right at this level before we talk about turning the womens game into full professionals"

Well said are you listening FA ??

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #1355 on: April 14, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
I'm told it was £6 to get in which seems a bit toppy, considering Chelsea - the SW3 aristocrats - were charging 50% less at £4!

Maybe as well as that big journalism school Lincoln should get a Mathematics one too  ;D  :P

As for the first few matches, didn't sound like a great start tbh. Bad pitches, large stadia not even a tenth full, not many goals. As Betty points out just giving fuel for the fire of those that can't wait for it to fail.

I know we can't judge on the first couple of games though, so I'll see how it goes for the next few weeks.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 14, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »

Maybe as well as that big journalism school Lincoln should get a Mathematics one too  ;D  :P

As for the first few matches, didn't sound like a great start tbh. Bad pitches, large stadia not even a tenth full, not many goals. As Betty points out just giving fuel for the fire of those that can't wait for it to fail.

I know we can't judge on the first couple of games though, so I'll see how it goes for the next few weeks.
I dont want it to fail, I just think it will.   Its been ill thought out and seems to me to be no improvment in quality from last seasons WPL.

Offline Mackem Steve

• View Profile
    • Sunderland AFC Ladies Facebook Fanpage
« Reply #1357 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26:43 PM »

I dont want it to fail, I just think it will.   Its been ill thought out and seems to me to be no improvment in quality from last seasons WPL.

I'm with you on that one tbh. I certainly don't want it to fail, but more needs to be done to promote it for sure. As someone said earlier where was the coverage on terrestrial tv, or in newspapers. I'm sure if i went looking for it i might find some, but it's not exactly easy to find, and i've been relying on this forum (although shekicks.net is pretty on the ball) for results, scorers, attendances etc.

There is coverage, but nowhere near enough.
"Sunderland have got a girl up front who is clinical - Beth Mead is one of the best strikers in the country, let alone our division - and it showed today." - Aston Villa Ladies Head Coach Joe Hunt

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1358 on: April 15, 2011, 11:07:45 AM »
Is it just me, or does the WSL trophy look like a giant sex aid? 

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »

Cheeky  so-and-so :D