Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 209657 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
ESPN to broadcast The FA WSL
« Reply #1300 on: February 01, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
ESPN to broadcast The FA WSL

Broadcaster to offer five live games and weekly highlights show.

ESPN is set to broadcast exclusive coverage of The FA WSL, the new women’s semi-professional league, as it kicks off for the first time this April.

The sports media company will bring viewers five live games from the league’s inaugural season, with coverage fronted by ESPN presenter Kelly Cates. ESPN will be on-site for each live game it covers.

The league launches during the week commencing 11 April, and features two local derby matches, with Chelsea taking on Arsenal and Liverpool facing Everton. Details of ESPN’s first live game will announced shortly.

The WSL is timed to take place over the summer months as an exciting new addition to the football calendar, showcasing the most talented female players in the country. The league will feature eight teams (listed below) and each will play each other twice over 14 match rounds.

ESPN will also produce a weekly highlights show that will keep fans up-to-date with all the latest action, airing on Tuesday evenings.

Coverage of The FA WSL comes as part of ESPN’s four year deal with The FA, which also includes exclusive live coverage of 25 FA Cup games for this and each of the next three seasons as well as all England Under-21 home games. It is an addition that further highlights ESPN’s commitment to serving all fans and follows the launch of ESPNW.com, the company’s new content and digital initiative for women.

“We’re delighted to be able to bring fans coverage of this new and exciting league,” said Jeroen Oerlemans, Vice President & Channel Manager of ESPN Europe, Middle East & Africa.

“Women’s football is increasingly popular, and the addition of The FA WSL underlines our commitment to football in the UK across all leagues and levels, and further strengthens our line up of high quality live sports programming.”

The eight FA WSL teams

Arsenal Ladies FC
Birmingham City Ladies FC
Bristol Academy Women’s FC
Chelsea Ladies FC
Doncaster Rovers Belles Ladies FC
Everton Ladies FC
Lincoln Ladies FC
Liverpool Ladies FC

The FA WSL joins an ESPN programming line-up rich in top-quality football from around the world, including The FA Cup, the Premier League, the Scottish Premier League, UEFA Europa League, Euro 2012 qualifiers, Italian Serie A, German Bundesliga, Dutch Eredivisie, and Russian Premier League – as well as Premiership Rugby, Top 14 rugby, UFC, Australian Rules Football (AFL), NFL, NHL, NBA, Major League Baseball and more.

http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/SuperLeague/NewsAndFeatures/2011/WSLESPN
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1301 on: February 03, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
I'm interested to see what effect ESPN coverage will have on the game.

I'll be covering Chelsea v Arsenal for the local paper and am used to chatting to players and managers over a pint in the bar afterwards.

Wonder if I'll have to queue up behind eager commentators and pushy presenters? Time to brandish the Press Card again and throw a tantrum saying: "I was here first! Where were you in 2009?"

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1302 on: February 03, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
However, there is apparently no truth in the rumours that Andy Gray and Richard Keys are being lined up for presenting roles for ESPN's coverage.

sylvain

« Reply #1303 on: February 03, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
I'll be covering Chelsea v Arsenal for the local paper and am used to chatting to players and managers over a pint in the bar afterwards.
You will have to fight with Ken to have the player's attention especially when he is telling them they are rubbish lol  ;D
Still hoping for another Pauline Cope style incident :D
The Chelsea ground is nice, it has a good platform to film the game and space for laptops, although you need to stand there.

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1304 on: February 03, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »
You will have to fight with Ken to have the player's attention especially when he is telling them they are rubbish lol  ;D

You may recall me recounting a famous time when I was interviewing the then Chelsea manager, Steve Jones after a defeat by Arsenal.

Ken had stolen some of the players' egg sandwiches, presumably because he thinks he has a right to them, wandered over to where I was speaking and recording Steve, interrupted us with some random comments before spitting and dropping the egg on my notes. He then departed without apologising.

sylvain

« Reply #1305 on: February 03, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
Someone recently told me he was ejected at a Charlton game where Arsenal was not playing for being extremely unpleasant and rude  :D

sylvain

« Reply #1306 on: February 07, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
As the WSL clubs are close to coming into the FA Cup, they really should aim to reach the final this season and prepare for it.
At the end of the day, with 3 wins they would qualify for the Champions' League  :o
Basically by the 17th of April after 1 (yes ONE) Superleague game played 2 or less if there is an upset or two teams will have had a successful season....
Obviously the competition is biaised towards the WSL teams with them coming so late in it, but the FA also did not plan it well  by doing this because
the last 16 round will be the first competitive game of the season for 6 of the 8 teams. I can foresee 3 or 4 WSL team eliminated in the last 16.

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1307 on: February 08, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Still hoping for another Pauline Cope style incident :D

Sorry Sylvain, I meant to ask. What Pauline Cope incident?

sylvain

« Reply #1308 on: February 08, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Ken spent part of the infamous Charlton- Arsenal game where approximately 11 minutes were added behind her goal abusing her and she ended up pouring a bottle of lucozade on him  ;D ;D
Well deserved IMO.

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 09, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »
Ken spent part of the infamous Charlton- Arsenal game where approximately 11 minutes were added behind her goal abusing her and she ended up pouring a bottle of lucozade on him  ;D ;D
Well deserved IMO.

wish I had been there   ;D ;D

Offline dtb

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 09, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »
Well deserved IMO.

wish I had been there   ;D ;D

I was under instructions from the Sunderland goalie to engage Ken in conversation when he was behind her goal so he didnt have time to shout and put her off the last time we were down. Nearly worked too as Arsenal had to go to extra time to win

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 09, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
Well deserved IMO.

Are you sure it was lucozade and not a urine sample that can be the same colour at times....(do lady footballers give urine samples?  I wonder what was the weirdist substance found in one maybe a question to ask the next time there is a phone in...)

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 10, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
Well deserved IMO.

Are you sure it was lucozade and not a urine sample that can be the same colour at times....(do lady footballers give urine samples?  I wonder what was the weirdist substance found in one maybe a question to ask the next time there is a phone in...)

Faye White was chosen after 2nd leg of uefa cup final back in 2007 - time on pitch - 5 minutes?

sylvain

« Reply #1313 on: February 10, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
7 minutes, 1 foul on Marta....her only minutes in the competition.
She came back at the right time.

sylvain

Women's Super League concerned about influx of foreign internationals
« Reply #1314 on: February 14, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
A familiar cry from the Barclays Premier League has started ringing in Super League circles. Though the new league, which is kicking off in April, was formed partly to streamline the development of England players, concerns are being voiced that an influx of foreign internationals could hold back the progress of English youngsters.

The Bristol Academy manager, Mark Sampson, who has just signed the Holland international Anouk Hoogendijk and has two of South Africa's top players on trial, said: "We explored the foreign market after looking at the English option and finding that players of the necessary quality were just not available.

"We spoke to some top [English] clubs about the possibility of signing one or two of their young players on loan but we couldn't get anyone. So when we get into the season there will be some very good young English players sitting on substitutes' benches and not getting enough game time to properly develop their potential."

Chelsea and Doncaster Belles have also imported foreign players while Lincoln have confirmed their intentions of doing likewise after having already turned down the chance to sign two overseas players following trials. The Doncaster manager, John Buckley, whose recent signing include the Swedish defender Maria Karlsson and the Canadian midfielder Kylla Sjoman, said: "I don't want to bring players in at the expense of English girls but, if they're better than what's available to us in this country, then we'll do what's best for our club."

The FA Cup third‑round ties today included a 7-2 trouncing of Portsmouth by the Premier League leaders, Sunderland, whose win avenged their 2-1 League Cup quarter-final defeat at Pompey. Second in the table Reading won 5-3 at Gillingham while third-placed Nottingham Forest beat Leicester City 4-2. In the only all‑Premier League clash Blackburn beat Leeds on penalties after the tie had ended goalless.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/06/super-league-womens-football

This is laughable really, out of 160 players in the sqaud, you won't find 160 quality English players.
Probably 100 + Irish + Scottish + Welsh, so if the clubs wants quality they need to get foreign players if they want to compete.
If the want to develop English girls why not?

Offline raefil

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 14, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
The whole point of the WSL will become null and void if it gets dominated by foreign players.

sylvain

« Reply #1316 on: February 14, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »
I am not sure, it depends how many foregin players and their quality.
I think as of today I have 120 players on my WSL file  and 19% are not English but 3% only are not British.
I am not totally up to date as some teams have not anounced all their signings but I would be surpised if the non british percentage goes over the 5%.
I really don't think we will see the same wave of foreign arrival in the women's football due to the scarcity/overpricing of English talent though.

Last year 306 players were used in WPL according to my stats.
I would about 3% are of top quality 10% are quality and another 25% are elite players. If you had the 16-20 years old used  who have a potential, I am not sure you can reach 160 spots.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:04:16 PM by sylvain »

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
Re: Women's Super League concerned about influx of foreign internationals
« Reply #1317 on: February 15, 2011, 12:58:38 AM »
A familiar cry from the Barclays Premier League has started ringing in Super League circles. Though the new league, which is kicking off in April, was formed partly to streamline the development of England players, concerns are being voiced that an influx of foreign internationals could hold back the progress of English youngsters."

Complete disgrace so British players do all the hard work, getting their respective clubs where they are and are overtaken by foreign players....."

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
Re: Women's Super League concerned about influx of foreign internationals
« Reply #1318 on: February 15, 2011, 01:13:19 AM »
A familiar cry from the Barclays Premier League has started ringing in Super League circles. Though the new league, which is kicking off in April, was formed partly to streamline the development of England players, concerns are being voiced that an influx of foreign internationals could hold back the progress of English youngsters."

Complete disgrace so British players do all the hard work, getting their respective clubs where they are and are overtaken by foreign players....."
but they haven't have they? The money has got them where they are look at Lincoln and as I predicted to our long lost friend Geoff they have next to no players in the squad from last season.. Rods tactical nouse couldn't get them into the top league but somebodies money has..

sylvain

« Reply #1319 on: February 15, 2011, 01:43:36 AM »
If we look squad by squad the invasion is not happening :

Arsenal signed 2 England A players and 1 England youth player
Everton signed 1 England youth player
Birmingham signed 6 girls who played for England senior + 5 england youth + 1 irish player
Lincoln signed 3 England A and 7 england youth player
Chelsea 1 england A 3 England youth and 2 Welsh A player + the NZL Captain
Doncaster recruited 3 England youth player + 1 Canadian + a Swedish + 1 Irish
Bristol signed 2 England A player 4 England youth + 1 Welsh player + 1 Holland player
Liverpool signed local english girls + 3 scottish girls

Total 13 England A , 22 England youth players, 2 irish, 1 new-zealand, 1 holland, 3 welsh, 3 scottish and 1 swedish, not really a foreign invasion.