Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 209636 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1260 on: December 29, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »
Arsenal and Everton angered by FA's switch on women's Champions League

• New English league ends after start of European competition
  • Everton fear change could affect English coefficient ranking

Tony Leighton
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 12 December 2010 18.22 GMT

The Football Association has come under fire from Arsenal and Everton, England's Champions League contenders this season, for its decision to award next season's European places to the FA Cup finalists.

The route to Euro qualification has been through winning or finishing runners-up in the Premier League. But this competition has been reduced to second division status from next year and the top flight will be the new Super League. As that summer-based league will not finish until after the start of the 2011 12 Champions League the

FA has decided to use the FA Cup as an interim means of settling which clubs win Champions League places.

This has not satisfied the Arsenal general manager, Vic Akers, under whom Arsenal won the Premier League 12 times and lifted the FA Cup on 10 occasions.

"I was given the impression that whoever were in pole position at the end of last season's Premier League would be in the Champions League for two years," said Akers.

"The goalposts have been moved. A country's best two teams should be in the Champions League and that won't necessarily happen if you use a knockout competition to hand out places."

The Everton manager, Mo Marley, whose team beat Arsenal in last season's FA Cup final but finished runners-up to the Gunners in the league for a third year running, said: "I don't know how we got to this Champions League decision, but my fear is that a team might go into the Champions League and fail to get past the qualifying stages. That could affect the coefficient ranking of English teams and lead to us losing one of our European places."

"It's not an ideal situation," said the FA's women's leagues co-ordinator, Tessa Hayward. "It is only a one-off, though, and the idea that last year's Premier League winners and runners-up would be in the Champions League was never voiced by the FA – it was never on the table."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/12/everton-arsenal-womens-champions-league
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 29, 2010, 07:24:55 AM »
With the WPS currently paying salaries of about $32,000 (£20,500) for average players, the FAWSL is unlikely to attract international stars, but England's manager, Hope Powell, said this is not the priority. "If I'm honest there's great talent around the world, but my ambition is to have this league produce homegrown talent. I'd like it to be an all-English league that encourages younger players coming through."

I disagree with Hope Powell’s views concerning foreign players participating in the FA WSL. 

Quality foreign players will improve the standard of the league as a whole and help to improve the quality of the English players playing in the league.

As the top managers say, the best way to develop a player is to put the player with another good player.

“If you are a great musician, you want to play with an orchestra where you have the best musicians. If you offer the [player] the chance to play in an orchestra with poor musicians, [she] will not be happy.” – Manager in the men’s EPL.

One of the ultimate aims for the new league should be to try and make the WSL one of best leagues in the world.  To do that you need to allow top foreign talent to come and play in the league.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:36 AM »
England's coach Hope Powell calls for women's game to switch to summer

• Summer league 'would attract more players and spectators'
  • Switch in Scotland has already proved a great success

Tony Leighton
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 19 December 2010 16.58 GMT

England's coach, Hope Powell, and the Football Association's head of national game, Kelly Simmons, have called for a switch to summer football for the whole of the women's game.

Four months before the start of the Super League's inaugural season and on a weekend when the Premier League and League Cup fixture lists were wiped out by snow and ice – and with only two games in the past four weeks having survived the weather – it's a timely although not, for Powell at least, a new plea.

"When I was a player I always felt we should be playing in the summer," said the national coach, who retired from playing in 1998. "Moving the entire game to summer couldn't realistically be done from day one, but hopefully we can work towards that and it would be great if it happens."

Simmons said: "We want to grow the women's game and I believe that taking it into the summer would attract more players and spectators. The WSL will be a closed league for two years but if the Premier League then becomes the feeder it would be a better fit if that league and the pyramid below it were played in the summer."

The FA could take pointers from Scotland, where the junior sector's 2009 switchover was followed this year by the launch of the March-November Premier League. "It's been a great success," the executive administrator, Maureen McGonigle, said. "We've had few problems, there were no call-offs and the standard of play has been impressive and improving."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/19/england-hope-powell-womens-football

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:30 AM »
Hope Powell excited by Women's Super League

England coach Hope Powell says the new Women's Super League will boost the women's game and believes playing during the summer months will encourage more girls to play football.

Click HERE to listen to Hope Powell discuss the new WSL.  Duration: 6.12 min audio clip

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/women/9296304.stm

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: December 29, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »

England coach Hope Powell says the new Women's Super League will boost the women's game and believes playing during the summer months will encourage more girls to play football.

Click HERE to listen to Hope Powell discuss the new WSL.  Duration: 6.12 min audio clip

pitches to play on is the biggest obstacle to overcome

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:55 AM »

1st bit of logic in a while.. Most non league clubs and professional clubs spend Summer re-seeding and preparing the playing surface.. Again it shows the naivity of the situation.. Imo designated pitches wsl only were the answer.. But who am I to question? Lol

sylvain

« Reply #1266 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »

Click HERE to listen to Hope Powell discuss the new WSL.  Duration: 6.12 min audio clip

1st bit of logic in a while.. Most non league clubs and professional clubs spend Summer re-seeding and preparing the playing surface.. Again it shows the naivity of the situation.. Imo designated pitches wsl only were the answer.. But who am I to question? Lol
Don't question the FA, they really don't like it when you do lol.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:47:05 PM by sylvain »

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1267 on: January 02, 2011, 11:51:39 PM »
Yep. Pitches were always going to be a stumbling block.

It was clear last season that Chelsea were going to be unable to use Imber Court because of reseeding and various maintenance, hence the move to Tooting & Mitcham. Wonder when T&M will do their ground prep?

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: January 03, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
Doesn't the WSL go on a break on May 12 (around the time these non-League men's clubs will be finishing their own seasons)?

And it doesn't resume until after mid July, when the male clubs would be playing pre-season games in any case?

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: January 04, 2011, 01:08:16 AM »
Doesn't the WSL go on a break on May 12 (around the time these non-League men's clubs will be finishing their own seasons)?

And it doesn't resume until after mid July, when the male clubs would be playing pre-season games in any case?

Could be a chip off the old American block.....4G ?????

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: January 04, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »
yes there is a break from late mid/late-May until after the World Cup, but in 2012 the Olympics are later in the calendar year (than the World Cup is in 2011), so the 2011 break is quite opportune

wait until we get World Cup in Qatar!

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: January 04, 2011, 08:34:19 PM »
It's not perfect but I don't see any major problem with playing at the grounds in summer.

It won't be very many games and these men's clubs are probably taking their cut - glad of the additional income.

Rather that than the farcical situation we've had in the past. Namely not playing for weeks on end due to the weather, then postponing games to play a Dog & Duck reserve XI in the County Cup.

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1272 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »
... to play a Dog & Duck reserve XI in the County Cup.

Ah, I remember playing in those sort of games. Sunday matches against 'The Docker's Fist'.

I was glad to join the Southern Olympian League in 1987 and play 3 o' clock Saturday matches against human beings. Discounting Duncombe Sports and Hale End Athletic, of course.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: January 07, 2011, 12:01:50 AM »
I never played against those sorts of teams!

....I was never good enough  :-[

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1274 on: January 10, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
I have no doubt some enterprising person has posted this already, but I didn't have the time to do a search - or the inclination, frankly.

But just in case, The FA has announced the opening fixtures for the WSL. The link's here, but here are the first four or five matches. http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/SuperLeague/NewsAndFeatures/2010/FixtureList1

Thurs 14 April 2011 - 7.45pm

Birmingham City v Bristol Academy - Stratford Town FC
Chelsea v Arsenal - Tooting & Mitcham FC
Lincoln Ladies v Doncaster Rovers Belles - Lincoln United FC
Liverpool v Everton - Skelmersdale United FC

Wed 20 April 2011 - 7.45pm   

Everton v Doncaster Rovers Belles - Marine FC
Liverpool v Birmingham City - Skelmersdale United FC*

Thurs 21 April 2011 -7.45pm

Arsenal v Bristol Academy - Boreham Wood FC
Chelsea v Lincoln Ladies- Tooting & Mitcham FC

Sat 23 April 2011

Bristol Academy v Liverpool - 6.30pm - WISE Campus

Sun 24 April 2011

Birmingham City v Lincoln Ladies - 5.00pm - Stratford Town FC
Doncaster Rovers Belles v Chelsea - 2.00pm - Keepmoat Stadium
Arsenal v Everton - 2.00pm - Boreham Wood FC

Thurs 28 April 2011

Arsenal v Birmingham City - 7.45pm - Boreham Wood FC

Sat 30 April 2011

Lincoln Ladies v Everton - 3.00pm - Lincoln United FC

Sun 1 May 2011

Bristol Academy v Doncaster Rovers Belles - 2.00pm - WISE Campus
Liverpool v Chelsea - 2.00pm - Skelmersdale United FC

Wed 4 May 2011   

Bristol Academy v Chelsea - 6.30pm - WISE Campus
Doncaster Rovers Belles v Liverpool - 7.45pm - Keepmoat Stadium
Everton v Birmingham City - 7.45pm - Marine FC
Lincoln Ladies v Arsenal - 7.30pm - Lincoln United FC

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1275 on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

That's a shame EI. It was, generally, more sociable and a darn sight more skilled than Sunday pub football.

I do have some happy memories of my SOL and later, Southern Amateur League, career.

Beating arch-rivals Old Grammarians 14-1, a mass 20-man brawl against Parkfield, sparked off by a 'robust' tackle from my fellow centre-half, beating a loaded Wandsworth Borough side 1-0 in a match where I received my only official yellow card after going in for a 50-50 and losing out by a split second.

The opponent was going at such speed, I sent him flying some 15-20 yards. To make matters worse, because of Wandsworth's loaded side, there were about 200 spectators. He was uninjured and tried to stop the ref booking me, but the abuse I got for the rest of the match...

And I lost THREE cup finals. The last one to Southgate County, who were underdogs, but a gale-force wind in our faces for the first half, which dropped in the second put paid to that. Not forgetting the header I scored in a cup match against Old Wilsonians from outside the box. Ah, happy days...

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 11, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »

That's a shame EI. It was, generally, more sociable and a darn sight more skilled than Sunday pub football.

I do have some happy memories of my SOL and later, Southern Amateur League, career.

Beating arch-rivals Old Grammarians 14-1, a mass 20-man brawl against Parkfield, sparked off by a 'robust' tackle from my fellow centre-half, beating a loaded Wandsworth Borough side 1-0 in a match where I received my only official yellow card after going in for a 50-50 and losing out by a split second.

The opponent was going at such speed, I sent him flying some 15-20 yards. To make matters worse, because of Wandsworth's loaded side, there were about 200 spectators. He was uninjured and tried to stop the ref booking me, but the abuse I got for the rest of the match...

And I lost THREE cup finals. The last one to Southgate County, who were underdogs, but a gale-force wind in our faces for the first half, which dropped in the second put paid to that. Not forgetting the header I scored in a cup match against Old Wilsonians from outside the box. Ah, happy days...

Brilliant!  ;D I enjoyed reading that idh1!

Regarding the fixtures, does it strike anyone else as strange that most of these "festivals of football" will be happening on weekday nights.

I've spent evenings (albeit Tuesday evenings) spectating at Lincoln United's ground before and it's a fairly desolate experience. A festival of football it ain't.

Surely most of the FA's target demographic (8-year-old girls) won't be allowed to stay out until twenty to ten on a school night anyway? That means, as usual, the only folk in attendance will be a handful of dutiful parents and hardcore football anoraks like me!

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 12, 2011, 03:38:29 AM »
We train on a Thursday !!!

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 12, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »

That means, as usual, the only folk in attendance will be a handful of dutiful parents and hardcore football anoraks like me!
[/quote]

hey guess I am a hardcore football anorak as defo not in previous category  ;D ;D

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 12, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »
Regarding the fixtures, does it strike anyone else as strange that most of these "festivals of football" will be happening on weekday nights.

I've spent evenings (albeit Tuesday evenings) spectating at Lincoln United's ground before and it's a fairly desolate experience. A festival of football it ain't.

Surely most of the FA's target demographic (8-year-old girls) won't be allowed to stay out until twenty to ten on a school night anyway? That means, as usual, the only folk in attendance will be a handful of dutiful parents and hardcore football anoraks like me!

How come children attend men’s matches on a midweek evening?  What is the difference?    Some men’s matches kick off at 8pm.