Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 194875 times)

Sylvain

Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1220 on: September 28, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
This is one reason why even if the league is a success, women's football in England may suffer as a result.

It has the potential to cause a great divide.
cant wait to see how this gets on.
Well the FA is doing this to help the England team and promote the "elite" players. If it goes to plan, England might have a chance of winning Euro 2013.
I have no doubt about England not winning the World Cup next year not with some of the players in the squad.

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: September 28, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
I have no doubt about England not winning the World Cup next year not with some of the players in the squad.

It does feel as though the FA are pulling the women's game in different directions sometimes.
Don't rely on luck, rely on skill.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: September 28, 2010, 12:56:31 PM »
This is one reason why even if the league is a success, women's football in England may suffer as a result.

It has the potential to cause a great divide.
cant wait to see how this gets on.
Well the FA is doing this to help the England team and promote the "elite" players. If it goes to plan, England might have a chance of winning Euro 2013.

The FA actually said the aim is for the new league to deliver on three fronts:

• Enables players to earn a good living from the game;
  • Allows clubs to develop new revenue streams and support through women's football;
  • Encourages broadcasters to see women's football as a new platform which has huge development potential

Source: THE FA Super League brochure
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Sylvain

« Reply #1223 on: September 28, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
But I believe there is a chance of Bronze/silver medal at the London Olympics and it could even have been gold had players from Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland had been allowed to play for Team GB.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: September 28, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Let's just hope the FA hold up their end of the bargain too!

They seem to be doing a good job so far with them having secured a major broadcaster to cover the games and appear to be in the final stages of bringing on board a title sponsor for the SL.

Let's hope so, but remember this was the organisation who promised a professional women's league ...in 2003.  :(

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: September 28, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
With the signing made so far , here is an estimate I made about team quality level increase compared to last season
Arsenal 3 signings +10%
Everton 5 signings+10%
Chelsea 4 signings +20%
Birmingham 4 signings + 35%
Doncaster 1 signing + 15%
Lincoln 8 signings + 100%
Liverpool 2 signings 20%
Bristol 4 signings +40%
Also having only 160 players in the league compared to 300 will leave less place for poorly skilled players.

Actually Lincoln have 11 new signings, so by my calculations that gives them 137.5% more quality  8)

Sylvain

« Reply #1226 on: September 28, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
11 signings  :o a full team basically.
Good luck to the manager to build a cohesive unit.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »
Yea well it will be awkward if they get surprise finalists like Leeds and Sunderland so there would be no Super league teams in Europe, that would be funny for sure....

I was hoping that this would be a World record for the number of posts on a thread but it seems not another forum has double the number

http://forum.prizerebel.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=n6hqgr85tekv028p8nose63154&topic=7488.3795

Though this one is on a particular subject while the other is just trying to break a record....

we already covered this.. theres a heck of a lot out there with hundreds if not thousands of pages.. nowehere near a record to be honest..

I thought someone said it was 1200 or so...oh well.  I'm disappointed as I'd always wanted to be in the old Guinness book..I remember watching Record Breakers when it was on and they did the question and answer session with a bunch of kids and Norris McWhirter.  I wanted to go on that and ask Norris lots of terrible questions like..'What was the world's largest Jobbie'  I looked up this topic on the Guinness site and saw the following...

Given that there is no official preparation for this record and that it is an intensely private action, there are no official records. The Guiness book of world records insist that there be witnesses and an official measure of the object submitted, so this particular action by it's nature, cannot have a record.

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: September 28, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
I thought someone said it was 1200 or so...oh well.  I'm disappointed as I'd always wanted to be in the old Guinness book..

I've heard of over 5,000 posts on some threads.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 28, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »
With the signing made so far , here is an estimate I made about team quality level increase compared to last season
Arsenal 3 signings +10%
Everton 5 signings+10%
Chelsea 4 signings +20%
Liverpool 2 signings 20%
Bristol 4 signings +40%
Also having only 160 players in the league compared to 300 will leave less place for poorly skilled players.

Actually Lincoln have 11 new signings, so by my calculations that gives them 137.5% more quality  8)

can you name the signings - please and thank you

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: September 28, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
Arsenal 3 signings +10%
Everton 5 signings+10%
Chelsea 4 signings +20%
Liverpool 2 signings 20%
Bristol 4 signings +40%

Just look at one of Leeds 1st team programmes from last season they are all there.. Home grown nurtured through the ranks Lincoln players lol..

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 29, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »
Arsenal 3 signings +10%
Everton 5 signings+10%
Chelsea 4 signings +20%
Liverpool 2 signings 20%
Bristol 4 signings +40%

Current Lincoln squad

Kay Hawke
Nicola Hobbs   -   signed from Everton

Sophie Bradley   -   signed from Leeds
Rachel Daly   -   signed from Leeds
Sophie Walton   -   signed from Leeds
Leandra Little
Mel Sutcliffe   -   signed from Leeds

Remi Allen   -   signed from Leeds
Megan Harris
Carla Ward
Bonnie Horwood   -   signed from Watford
Sue Smith   -   signed from Leeds
Jess Clarke   -   signed from Leeds
Lucy Staniforth   -   signed from Sunderland
Sophie Barker

Carla Cantrell   -   signed from Leeds
Stacey Aisthorpe
Jodie Michalska

So the new signings have come from Leeds (8 players), Everton (1 player), Sunderland (1 player), Watford (1 player). 7 players have been retained from 2009/10.

Source: Lincoln's website as of 29 Sept 2010

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 29, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
I think eight of them being from Leeds should give Lincoln a headstart in building a cohesive team!

The squad still looks light in attack with Michalska out for a while and Aisthorpe and Cantrell both strong, hard-working types.

I've just looked at the website and it's a bit of a shame if they've lost Jade Radburn: she was exceptional last year.

Sylvain

« Reply #1233 on: October 03, 2010, 01:27:49 AM »
No wonder they are switching to Summer League, I am sure games will be postponed right left and center tomorrow all over England  >:( I am already activating plan B as my main game is already off.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 03, 2010, 01:24:22 PM »
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/sport/Surprise-factor-key-success-Lincoln-Ladies-says-Sue-Smith/article-2712438-detail/article.html

"I think Arsenal will be very strong, and they've added a couple of really strong players, too.

"So they're going to be up there and I believe Birmingham have got a very strong team.

...I wonder what Sue's heard about Brum  ???

The full version of this interview was supposed to be in Thursday's paper but got 'bumped' because Chris Sutton quit Lincoln's small-time men's club. Typical.  >:(

Sylvain

« Reply #1235 on: October 03, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
My understanding is Birmingham has recruited a few England seniors plus a few of the U23 squad  as well, so it will be a an well improved side comapred to last season.

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #1236 on: October 03, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »
Just a quickie. Chelsea have moved from Imber Court, Hampton to Tooting & Mitcham FC for the next campaign.

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1237 on: October 04, 2010, 09:01:30 PM »
Not sure how Sue Smith can say that Lincoln are an 'un-known' quantity, when the squad is virtually Leeds Carnegie. 

Sylvain

« Reply #1238 on: October 04, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »
Unless Rod Wilson has some super tactics to use the former Leeds players in a different ways from Rick Passmoor of course. Because otherwise everyone knows what strength and weaknesses those players have.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 05, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Unless Rod Wilson has some super tactics to use the former Leeds players in a different ways from Rick Passmoor of course. Because otherwise everyone knows what strength and weaknesses those players have.

Don't forget some of them are very young, and now they all have another year's experience/improvement under their belts. By all accounts Bradley, Clarke and Staniforth - in particular - have the potential to turn into real stars.

I'm sure the Leeds players will appreciate being looked after properly, after last year turned into a bit of a fiasco for them. It must have been hard to produce their best stuff with all that hanging over their heads.