Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 194881 times)

Sylvain

Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1200 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
Wow, you are right about the timings, summer seasons league winner qualify for the +1 year in the Champions League. It is actually a more open way for teams to qualify for it and England could indeed have Blackburn and Watford in it 2011/12.
Apparently the info has been lying around because womenssoccer.de reported this at the beginning of the month. You wonder why the FA is witholding the information ?
After looking at the access list I believe it is a calculated risk from the FA because England have enough points to sustain a 0 point season in 2011/12 and still be in the top 8 to have two teams. Also I believe any team in the Women's Premier League is good enough to get through the qualifying round provided they don't meet one of  top 8 country's runner-up.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:49:44 AM by Sylvain »

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 23, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
I heard at Lincoln's open day that it will be the FA Cup finalists, rather than the Super League top two, who qualify for Europe. Because the season's out of kilter and it needs to be decided by May.

So SL teams go in at round 5, win three games and they're in Europe. Could be good for Prem teams too, if they get a kind draw...

Apologies if this is old news - but it was the first I'd heard of it.

I think this talked about before and people suspected that Fa Cup might be the means to find the euro representatives but this is offical comformation.  I mean they could have come up with some really crazy plan for picking the teams, like a flower arranging competition for example...

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 23, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
at least if it is decided by winning matches, it is better than drawing lots

Sylvain

« Reply #1203 on: September 23, 2010, 11:03:10 PM »
It can be decided by crazy referees and in cup games unlike in the League there is no coming back from it

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 24, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »
It can be decided by crazy referees and in cup games unlike in the League there is no coming back from it

true  some ref decisions are crazy

Sylvain

« Reply #1205 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:09 PM »
Nevermind, the FA does not have a choice otherwise they would have had to give the entry to the teams who finished the 2009/10 WPL in the top 2 positions.
The Champions League is the top club competition, those are the main games in a football season so it is a bit strange to send the Cup winners and runner-up.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 25, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
Yea well it will be awkward if they get surprise finalists like Leeds and Sunderland so there would be no Super league teams in Europe, that would be funny for sure....

I was hoping that this would be a World record for the number of posts on a thread but it seems not another forum has double the number

http://forum.prizerebel.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=n6hqgr85tekv028p8nose63154&topic=7488.3795

Though this one is on a particular subject while the other is just trying to break a record....

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #1207 on: September 25, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »
Yea well it will be awkward if they get surprise finalists like Leeds and Sunderland so there would be no Super league teams in Europe, that would be funny for sure....

I was hoping that this would be a World record for the number of posts on a thread but it seems not another forum has double the number

http://forum.prizerebel.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=n6hqgr85tekv028p8nose63154&topic=7488.3795

Though this one is on a particular subject while the other is just trying to break a record....

we already covered this.. theres a heck of a lot out there with hundreds if not thousands of pages.. nowehere near a record to be honest..
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 27, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »
Hawke Talks

Lincoln Ladies' highly rated 'keeper, Kay Hawke chats about the Super League at Lincoln's recent open day...

What's this 'open day' event all about?

For us players, it whets the appetite for the season to start, after our solo training in the summer and, because the Super League start is still a long way off, it's also a good chance for us to meet all of our new team mates. It's actually further away than anyone thought - April 14th - and whilst we know who we are playing in our first game, it's not public domain as yet. Even just knowing that makes the whole thing more real though!

The move up to the Super League potentially opens new doors doesn't it?

Hope Powell wouldn't even consider players from the Northern/Southern Divisions of the Premier League and this is true of the men's game too - rarely are players picked from the Championship. For me, this is a fantastic opportunity to look to be part of the international setup, just as during my days playing for Blackburn and it gives everyone a confidence boost - just having that possibility. We have players at U-21, U-23 and in the senior team and the exposure they will get in the SL will be fantastic.

So, what about Arsenal and Chelsea fixtures, for example, pressure?

Most of the players here have been involved in these types of big games, whether it's in the FA Women's Cup or normal league games and this is where the big players need to shine. We will be under the media spotlight like never before and we will need to raise our game for those fixtures.

How do you think The FA have handled the launch?

From the moment it was announced there has been a lack of openess, I guess. Perhaps the management at clubs have known more about it than players but the very fact they are behind it now, albeit a season or two later, is really good. They need to now deliver on promises, between now and April. The fact that it is set to happen prior to a Women's World Cup and pretty much after the men's season has ended is a PR success, in my opinion.

What about crowds for the new look Lincoln?

Lincoln have always had fantastic support, whether it's against Arsenal or not. We had 1000 for a County Cup game against Scunthorpe at Sincil bank. The great media relationship and community support here means we will get 3,000 to 4,000 at games, no problem. If it turns out that Lincoln can only scrape up 200 fans, I’d be very, very surprised, and worry that something had gone very wrong at The FA!

Thanks and good luck, Kay.

http://www.shekicks.net/flog/blogs/post/184
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 27, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »
Hawke Talks

What about crowds for the new look Lincoln?

Lincoln have always had fantastic support, whether it's against Arsenal or not. We had 1000 for a County Cup game against Scunthorpe at Sincil bank. The great media relationship and community support here means we will get 3,000 to 4,000 at games, no problem. If it turns out that Lincoln can only scrape up 200 fans, I’d be very, very surprised, and worry that something had gone very wrong at The FA!

http://www.shekicks.net/flog/blogs/post/184

Why would it be the FA's fault if Lincoln fail to attract fans to come and watch them play?
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 27, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
Well the FA are responsible for marketing the league, are they not?

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 27, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »

The FA stated in the Club Development Plan that each club needs to demonstrate how it will grow and retain its fan base and build its profile in its catchment area. 

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 27, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »

The FA stated in the Club Development Plan that each club needs to demonstrate how it will grow and retain its fan base and build its profile in its catchment area. 

I think Lincoln are already doing that through things like the open day. Let's just hope the FA hold up their end of the bargain too!

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 27, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
I just really hope this super league is given full commitment by the FA.
Not a half hearted effort to run a league just to shut people up and to say 'we tried it'.

i hate to say but it would knock women's football  back a good 10 years if this falls flat on its face.

What would happen then???? i dread to think.

everyone has to get behind this!!!

Don't rely on luck, rely on skill.

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1214 on: September 27, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
I don't know where people are getting the idea that the Super League is going to better then the WPL, when it's the same players that have played in it over the last few season's.  

Arsenal and Everton will finish top 2 and Chelsea and Leeds (ooh...my mistake.....Lincoln) will compete with Doncaster in the pack below them.  Birmingham, Bristol and Northern League champions Liverpool will compete to avoid the bottom 2.

Unless I've missed something I'm yet to see a 'Superstar' of Women's football sign for a club....no Swedes or Norwegians..no USA internationals.

the WPL clubs....Sunderland, Blackburn and Notts Forest could compete quite easily with the clubs outside the top 3.  

Infact, apart from Shepherd and Hill, have Liverpool signed any decent players, yet?....Super League...is same old...same old....

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: September 27, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
Unless I've missed something I'm yet to see a 'Superstar' of Women's football sign for a club....no Swedes or Norwegians..no USA internationals.

I bet it wont happen on a big scale, maybe 2 or 3 big-ish names..

Theres no real incentive at the moment for them to come and playing this league.

Money's not great - competitiveness is avarage/low.

So even if a foreign international player was to play for fitness sake, to keep playing -
It probably doesn't look like the best league even for that.

Sylvain

« Reply #1216 on: September 27, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »
With the signing made so far , here is an estimate I made about team quality level increase compared to last season
Arsenal 3 signings +10%
Everton 5 signings+10%
Chelsea 4 signings +20%
Birmingham 4 signings + 35%
Doncaster 1 signing + 15%
Lincoln 8 signings + 100%
Liverpool 2 signings 20%
Bristol 4 signings +40%
Also having only 160 players in the league compared to 300 will leave less place for poorly skilled players.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 28, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
Let's just hope the FA hold up their end of the bargain too!

They seem to be doing a good job so far with them having secured a major broadcaster to cover the games and appear to be in the final stages of bringing on board a title sponsor for the SL.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 28, 2010, 12:29:20 PM »
I don't know where people are getting the idea that the Super League is going to better then the WPL, when it's the same players that have played in it over the last few season's. 

Depends how you measure success.  First of all I do not think there is a big gap between Everton, Lincoln and Chelsea.  I also think there are other important areas which are important to make the league a success.  I believe the old structure was not sustainable in the long term.  While I agree that the league needs to be competitive, I think equally important to the success of the league is for the product to be watched by more people, viewed by a significant percentage of the viewing public and be on the way to generating enough money to be capable of significant growth in the medium to long term.

Offline Techni-Scout

• Technique is vital
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 28, 2010, 12:33:43 PM »
Also having only 160 players in the league compared to 300 will leave less place for poorly skilled players.

This is one reason why even if the league is a success, women's football in England may suffer as a result.

It has the potential to cause a great divide.
cant wait to see how this gets on.