Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 194300 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• View Profile
Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1320 on: February 15, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »
If we look squad by squad the invasion is not happening :

Arsenal signed 2 England A players and 1 England youth player
Everton signed 1 England youth player
Birmingham signed 6 girls who played for England senior + 5 england youth + 1 irish player
Lincoln signed 3 England A and 7 england youth player
Chelsea 1 england A 3 England youth and 2 Welsh A player + the NZL Captain
Doncaster recruited 3 England youth player + 1 Canadian + a Swedish + 1 Irish
Bristol signed 2 England A player 4 England youth + 1 Welsh player + 1 Holland player
Liverpool signed local english girls + 3 scottish girls

Total 13 England A , 22 England youth players, 2 irish, 1 new-zealand, 1 holland, 3 welsh, 3 scottish and 1 swedish, not really a foreign invasion.

Good and lets hope it never does !!!

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 15, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
If we look squad by squad the invasion is not happening :

Arsenal signed 2 England A players and 1 England youth player
Everton signed 1 England youth player
Birmingham signed 6 girls who played for England senior + 5 england youth + 1 irish player
Lincoln signed 3 England A and 7 england youth player
Chelsea 1 england A 3 England youth and 2 Welsh A player + the NZL Captain
Doncaster recruited 3 England youth player + 1 Canadian + a Swedish + 1 Irish
Bristol signed 2 England A player 4 England youth + 1 Welsh player + 1 Holland player
Liverpool signed local english girls + 3 scottish girls

Total 13 England A , 22 England youth players, 2 irish, 1 new-zealand, 1 holland, 3 welsh, 3 scottish and 1 swedish, not really a foreign invasion.

Point of order: Billson from Bristol and Twohig from Liverpool are, I think, capped by Ireland at youth level.

I'm all in favour of foreign players, as long as they're any good. To use an example from the men's game West Ham have always produced their own young players - and I doubt Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard etc. were ever held back by rubbish imports like Marco Boogers. Some other, less talented English youngsters may have been ...but so what? If they're not good enough then that's their tough luck.

On the flip side of the coin Lampard et al probably got better from playing alongside top class foreign players like Paolo Di Canio.

Let's have plenty of female Di Canios but keep the female Boogers' out!

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1322 on: February 16, 2011, 01:45:26 AM »
Nicola Twohig may have been capped at U19 level, but she is very much a Manc.  More interestingly is that an EX-England U23 player currently with Liverpool is being linked with a full-cap for Northern Ireland.  Which is something Natasha Dowie might have been better doing.

sylvain

« Reply #1323 on: February 16, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »
Quite  a good idea  Wales got a couple of ex England U23 players in recent times.
I guess Dowie like Sanderson will only need to wait until England change their manager.

Offline Billy Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 16, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
Quite  a good idea  Wales got a couple of ex England U23 players in recent times.
I guess Dowie like Sanderson will only need to wait until England change their manager.
who else ticks enough boxes to be able to take over?

sylvain

« Reply #1325 on: February 16, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
Mo Marley,Keith Boanas, Vic Akers and I am sure you can find loads of other qualified coaches

SpeedoS3

« Reply #1326 on: February 16, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
I believe Mo Marley is next in line...

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1327 on: February 16, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
Rick Passmoor - the best manager in the business..

sylvain

« Reply #1328 on: February 16, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
He would guarantee the end of favoritism lol

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 16, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »
He would guarantee the end of favoritism lol

sides picked on merit - surely?  ;D ;D

sylvain

« Reply #1330 on: February 17, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »
political choices...

sylvain

« Reply #1331 on: February 26, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
If I understand well in the end, the champions League places will be determinated like this  :

Champions League 2011/12 FA Cup 2011 winner and runner-up
Champions League 2012/13 FA WSL 2011 1st and 2nd out of 8.

Offline chipbutty

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 27, 2011, 12:48:34 AM »
If I understand well in the end, the champions League places will be determinated like this  :

Champions League 2011/12 FA Cup 2011 winner and runner-up
Champions League 2012/13 FA WSL 2011 1st and 2nd out of 8.
I wonder how the FA will manage to keep Everton and Arsenal apart until the final?

Am I cynical?

It really should be te WPL winners and runners up as it always has been, at least until the Supper league starts.

sylvain

« Reply #1333 on: February 27, 2011, 01:31:41 AM »
They can seed the 8 WSL team  ;D that way they would guarantee no big team playing each other  ::)

Offline dtb

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 27, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
the problem is if a WPL team goes in and gets put out before knock out stages we could end up with the right to only 1 team in champions league. We need to be realistic- the best players in England are all signed for WSL teams (with perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions who for their own reasons have chosen not to move). So for England to do well in this competition it needs to be top standard teams- I wouldnt disregard Birmingham though!!!

sylvain

« Reply #1335 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
UEFA bailed the FA, they changed the rules and both English team go straight to the knock-out stage from next season.

As long as the referees don't eliminate any team from the cup with their decision it is fine....as we have seen yesterday, referees and their assitants can get big decisions wrong.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:10:49 AM by sylvain »

Offline Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »
Does anyone know how the introduction of the Super League will effect the reserve leagues ?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a 'Reserves Super League' will be introduced. There are currently at least 6 Super League teams with sides in the reserve league. Assuming these teams get removed, how will this effect the teams that are left (relegations, promotions) ?

sylvain

« Reply #1337 on: March 02, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
According to the latest match report from the fa :

All of England’s 20-strong squad are registered to an FA WSL club. The WSL season doesn’t get underway for another month and Powell factored this into her post-match analysis.  :o :o :o

http://www.thefa.com/England/womens-seniors/News/match-centre/2011/EngItal/PostMatch/Powell

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 03, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »
Does anyone know how the introduction of the Super League will effect the reserve leagues ?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a 'Reserves Super League' will be introduced. There are currently at least 6 Super League teams with sides in the reserve league. Assuming these teams get removed, how will this effect the teams that are left (relegations, promotions) ?

as I understand it the WSL clubs with sides in FAWPL Reserve League will have to withdraw them after 2010-2011.

However, these things could change

sylvain

« Reply #1339 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I have been told the U17 U19 league will change the way the academies are working now, so not sure what will happen with reserves team  ???