Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 194883 times)

Offline John

• View Profile
Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1180 on: September 04, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »
I can see camera's being confiscated from fans or people being thrown out of games for taking photo's from the stands..

People could argue that in a professional era the FA should be looking to follow the ground regulations used by men’s clubs.
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 04, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
Gee I wonder who this will be... not Avon surely....

Avon as in Blake's 7?

I dare say we could suggest some interesting possible sponsors - none of which would materialise

I was thinking of Avon the cosmetics distributer as they sponsored 'Footballers Wives'  But Avon from Blake’s 7 would be pretty good though Servalan would be even better.  I remember her (Jacqueline Pearce to give her, her full title) being interviewed once in which she bragged about being in the top ten fantasy figures between 1978 and 1980...

indeed she was though I much preferred Cally and Soolin from the series

However someone like servalan to get things done would not go amiss

With all the talk of replacing Hope Powell in the England side they could do a lot worse than old Servalan

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Sylvain

« Reply #1182 on: September 04, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »
Why not Haribo an international brand with mass appeal and we could get freebies at game like the fraise tagada  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 05, 2010, 02:53:28 AM »
Hopefully the FA will be able to attract sponsorships from some of the multinational organisations.

Perhaps if no-one coughs up enough the FA could do what they did with the TV rights: piggy-back it onto one of their other deals.

Yesterday's statement was a bit odd, since they were announcing that they had nothing to announce.

Still, nice of them to keep us in the loop  ;D

The TV rights have been sold as part of a package for a number of years and they always look to have the women's and men's FA Cup finals on the same channel.

Why was the FA statement odd?  They did it because they failed to meet the published deadline.  Everyone expected the sponsors to be firmed up by the end of the Summer.

Timeline

• Summer 2010  -  Sponsors & broadcaster firmed up.

Source: THE FA

Oh dear, perhaps we should be worried in that case  :-[

Let's hope they're not tempted to go with Tesco again: the "sponsorship" with no actual money involved. Allegedly.

I also think they would be scoring a massive own goal if they gave the red card to these photographers (see what I did there? 8)) I guess the guys know people at the FA through Cup finals, England tournaments and stuff. Surely they can come to some arrangement...

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1184 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »
The Getty arrangement provides additional shifts for around 3 or 4 staff photographers, at a time when the game needs to promote itself to the public, the FA comes up with this.  If this works for Getty no doubt they'll be looking to do the same with men's Premier League football and freeze out the competition......monopoloy springs to mind.    The Super League will only have 3 fixtures on a Sunday (one on a Thursday night)..that's really going to get the mood of the public...

which game are we going to go to today?.....travel a hundred miles to Birmingham City or two hundred to Chelsea.  I'm not talking about the hard core but the casual football fan that the FA are trying to attract. If a football mad teenager wants to watch a game what are they going to do, if they have no club in there area....wait until the winter, when there local team has a fixture.

The public want to see star players in the women's game, but 3 games a week is hardly going to get the countries attention.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
I think the fun had started to go out of it a bit before the Super league came along to be honest, seems a shame that a lot of the people that were publicising the game are now being herded out of it, but hey look whats happening to some of the players.... Considering that both the duper league and everyone else will be operating at different times of the year I'm still not clear how relegation and promotion will work after the initial three year start up period.  Seems a promoted team would have to wait about six months to start in the super league where as a relegated team would have to do like wise could be the death nell for either club..

Johnny Ramone

« Reply #1186 on: September 06, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »
Your right the fun has started to go out of it.....what's the bet you won't be able to have a drink in the bar with the players at a Super League c;ub.......as it'll be for players only.

Can't see I'm bothered about Super League anymore.....one thing about the WPL games I've watched this season...at least the players are playing for the love of the game and not thinking about money....in that respect at least it's genuine and honest....no arrogance that some players of the bigger clubs show.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »
Your right the fun has started to go out of it.....what's the bet you won't be able to have a drink in the bar with the players at a Super League c;ub.......as it'll be for players only.

Can't see I'm bothered about Super League anymore.....one thing about the WPL games I've watched this season...at least the players are playing for the love of the game and not thinking about money....in that respect at least it's genuine and honest....no arrogance that some players of the bigger clubs show.

::) That's very unfair on the top players imo. Most if not all have got where they are by loving the game and making huge sacrifices (including financial) in order to play.

I went to the Cup final as a neutral and couldn't believe how long Dowie, Brown, Unitt etc. hung around giving autographs straight after the game. Arrogant money-grabbers wouldn't have bothered.

Anyway, you wouldn't see these WPL players for dust if someone offered to pay them to play. And could you blame them?

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 07, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »
Getty Images have apparently got the contract for Super League, so the likes of Prickett and Kipax etc will be denied access to cover games.  Are the FA so desperate to control everything they resort to exclusivity? 

Looks like Women's Premier League only for me.  So much for the loyalty of the various freelance photographers who cover women's football week in week out...they get frozen out when the big money arrives.

Yes just what I was expecting and therefore I have bailed out of the game unless of course Getty employ me.... How on earth SheKicks will get pictures is a mystery. So so-long from me everyone!

greedy getty

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 08, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »
Getty Images have apparently got the contract for Super League, so the likes of Prickett and Kipax etc will be denied access to cover games.  Are the FA so desperate to control everything they resort to exclusivity? 

Looks like Women's Premier League only for me.  So much for the loyalty of the various freelance photographers who cover women's football week in week out...they get frozen out when the big money arrives.

Yes just what I was expecting and therefore I have bailed out of the game unless of course Getty employ me.... How on earth SheKicks will get pictures is a mystery. So so-long from me everyone!

greedy getty

Ha ha..thats funny

Offline John

• View Profile
YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL, YOU NEVER WIN OR LOSE AS A TEAM - WE ALL WIN OR LOSE TOGETHER AS A CLUB

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #1191 on: September 15, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »
Yup heard about the getty thing... as for shekicks/fairgame... they have been using getty images for a long time now so its not going to effect them... Its going to effect us...

I ahve to be honest and say i had no intentions of photogaphing the money league as it clashes with cricket I am contracted to.. then i found out there would be games midweek.. seems I wont be able to cover them either..

womenssoccerscene will suffer with no pics :(

james pricket is another story.. james has been covering womens football for a lot longer then I an many others put together... he travels all over the world.. he is going to be kicked right in the teeth with this..

I am now even more glad that blackburn didnt enter the superleague and will continue to photogrpah all there games..
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 15, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »
OK straight from the horses mouth... the getty story is 100% NOT TRUE
I contacted the FA this afternoon and just got a response.. I ahve asked if I can copy that response and if OK then I will

Sylvain

« Reply #1193 on: September 15, 2010, 08:01:43 PM »
Good decision as it will allow those who have been photographing and supporting the women's game  to carry on doing it.

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
The email I got (with missing H in my name :) ) thats quite positive IMHO

Subject: Re: Womens football
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:38:26 +0100

Hi Antony,

Thanks for your email. I'm not sure where this has come from but as far as I'm aware this is not the case. We need to promote the new league through as many different channels as possible and that includes photography channels as well, there is no exclusive contract with getty that I'm aware of and it should not in any way restrict your access to photograph at matches.

Best Regards,
Johann

Offline Aphrodites Child

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 15, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »

Hi Antony,

Thanks for your email. I'm not sure where this has come from but as far as I'm aware this is not the case. We need to promote the new league through as many different channels as possible and that includes photography channels as well, there is no exclusive contract with getty that I'm aware of and it should not in any way restrict your access to photograph at matches.

Best Regards,
Johann

quick - where is the like button?

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 16, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »

Hi Antony,

Best Regards,
Johann

I recall Glenn Lawrence at www.ladiessoccer.co.uk writing about Getty Images and the Super League.  I always had my doubts as to the reliability of the claims because naturally the Football Association would want to have maximum exposure for the new league.

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 16, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »

Hi Antony,

Best Regards,
Johann

Well that seems like a result....

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 17, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »

Hi Antony,

Best Regards,
Johann

Well that seems like a result....

It is not as if the FA have had a change of heart.

Offline EliteImp

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 20, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »
I heard at Lincoln's open day that it will be the FA Cup finalists, rather than the Super League top two, who qualify for Europe. Because the season's out of kilter and it needs to be decided by May.

So SL teams go in at round 5, win three games and they're in Europe. Could be good for Prem teams too, if they get a kind draw...

Apologies if this is old news - but it was the first I'd heard of it.