Author Topic: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?  (Read 170597 times)

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
The following article was in The Observer on Sunday:

"The FA are set to announce the biggest development in women's football since it took over the running of the game 15 years ago, with central contracts for top England players, a new 'Superleague' of eight teams to start in March 2010 and the appointment of a full-time performance director.

With new professional leagues soon to start in the United States and Australia, following the launch of an elite competition in Holland, there is a threat of top players leaving England to play abroad. The FA's new plans are expected to be approved at a board meeting this week.

The FA are giving serious consideration to creating a model similar to the draft system used in the United States, where the best players are shared between the teams. The move would prevent the situation that currently exists where Arsenal and Chelsea are streets ahead of everyone else. Also under the new proposals, the top England players would be put on central contracts worth £16,000 a year, a landmark development as many players currently pay for the privilege of joining teams. Hope Powell, the England manager, welcomed the proposals as a vital move towards challenging the world's best.

'We have been playing catch-up with the likes of Germany and the US,' she says, 'and now associations like Holland and Australia are investing in their women's game, too. The proposals will help take the game to the next level, as well as keeping our talented players in England.'

Genesis, a strategic management consultancy who previously worked on regenerating rugby league and women's netball, were commissioned by the FA to devise the plans. One of their biggest challenges is making the women's game commercially viable. Most matches are watched by a few hundred supporters, but this year's FA Cup final in May was attended by a crowd of 24,582 and this season's two league games between Arsenal and Chelsea will be played at the Emirates and Stamford Bridge for the first time. The FA hope to convince board members that funding the scheme with an initial £1m-£2m will create a competitive league and a world-class national team.

The board are expected to make a decision on Thursday. Three days later England take on the Czech Republic, and the week afterwards they play in Spain. Both games will be shown live on Setanta."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/21/1

OK, why am I twitchy about this?  The FA investing in women's football? About time. £16,000?  Not exactly splashing out. While any money given to the top players is to be welcomed, £16,000 is miserly. Finance the girls properly.

£1m - £2m investment in the league. Thank you. Once more, about time. How long have we been waiting for the  FA to stop spilling port down their blazers and open their eyes?

We're courting TV money here, which can only be good for the game. But let's not forget when Fulham went pro, the FA and ITV were supposed to back Al Fayed with a televised, financed league. They chose not to.

Am I happy with a league of eight?  Not really.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leeds Carnegie and - er, who?  Bristol Academy and Blackburn on the periphery perhaps, Maybe Donnie if they can get the financial backing they so desperately need.

What about relegation/promotion?  Is there any? If so, will we get promoted clubs going down and the relegated clubs coming back up, year in, year out.

And while I concede the need for a more open league title race, draft picks?  Like the Ting-Tings said: "I'm the last chick standing up against the wall."

I'd rather see the natural progression of retirements and new blood from youth teams, plus transfers, like any other sport. The wheel is constantly turning, you're up, you're down. Kelly Smith won't be playing forever. Plus, to be pedantic, there's probably some law governing freedom of choice and movement somewhere in the Human Rights Act.

Let's see the FA invest heavily in the clubs. Say a sizeable grant to each club at the beginning of the season. Certainly to step two. How they choose to spend it is up to them. Players, player's wages, training, whatever. Then let's see what happens.

And yes, cut a deal with TV. But is there much difference between a league of eight and twelve?  A relegation decider is still going to be blood and thunder whether it's say, Donnie v Blackburn or Nottingham Forest v WFC Fulham. (Examples only guys. Don't shoot me!)

You may not agree with any of these ramblings - mine or the FA's.  This is a stream of consciousness, rather then a well-researched piece. What I'm after is a healthy debate. Is this the way to go? What's the best way to push the game forward?  It's our sport too.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:33:52 AM by idh1 »

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
Re: The FA and the Superleague - comments, questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »
its already had a long debate on other pages here.......dont think ,most are for it, although it has merits and pitfalls..
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:30:57 PM by OOH Fayefan »
League Champions and FA Cup Double Winners 2007 - 2008
League Champions, League Cup and FA Cup Treble Winners 2008 - 2009
League Champions 2009 - 2010

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »
Yeah, I know it's been a topic of conversation for a while, but as we're getting close to a decision, I didn't think it'd hurt posting the article, particularly for newer members.

Plus I can't say I've noticed much media coverage of women's netball since Genesis' intervention.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:51:55 AM by idh1 »

shlj

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »
I am looking forward to see the selection criteria for the "top players" and the 8 teams because there will be a lot of disappointment for the teams and players who miss out.

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »
No fans or real people involved in any of this idea.... thats the problem.
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

shlj

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »
Maybe that's why they did that, they don't want that kind of people involved  ???

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:56:26 PM »
well, maybe..those kinds of people wont go watch the so called elite super 8 :(

shlj

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »
If the tv money is good, the FA won't care as its product will generate revenue.

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »
yeah but do they want the matches to be played in front of no fans...

shlj

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »
I think the players are important for the FA not the fans...

Offline Dr Gonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »
I think the players are important for the FA not the fans...

Well if they have no fans then what are they doing it for, games look awful when they only have a few folk at them, if they worked on getting more people to games then maybe they wouldn't had have situations like Doncaster and Charlton....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:26:05 PM by Dr Gonzo »

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.u

Offline Rob

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »
The move would prevent the situation that currently exists where Arsenal and Chelsea are streets ahead of everyone else.
Chelsea? When did Chelsea become streets ahead of everyone else? They're 6 games in to a season with some very good new players so they'll be challenging Everton for 2nd place but even that has yet to be seen.

shlj

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:19:43 PM »
Arsenal Chelsea and Everton are ahead  other teams by a mile or two. Chelsea had fitness defending and scoring problems last season but they solved that this summer.

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »
Can anyone explain what this bit means?

where the best players are shared between the teams

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »
I'm sure they meant that the teams will have an equal share of top players, so that one team doesn't get half of England's NT, etc. Kind of like what the WPS is doing now, allocating the best players accordingly.

I seriously doubt players will truly be 'shared' by the teams. :D
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 01:56:08 AM »
I'm sure they meant that the teams will have an equal share of top players, so that one team doesn't get half of England's NT, etc. Kind of like what the WPS is doing now, allocating the best players accordingly.

I seriously doubt players will truly be 'shared' by the teams. :D

Sorry still dont get it... no idea what the WPS is doing....  How can they share players... A lot of teams sign players that live near enough to go to training... If it means players being made to play for other teams ...well thats unworkable.. or is it summat else... anyone?

shlj

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 07:24:44 AM »
Basically the FA could decide who plays where as it suits them after players request and team request.

Offline OOH Fayefan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 09:25:30 AM »
does that happen in any other sport?..what are they trying to mirror?

Offline idh1

• View Profile
    • Work In Words
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »
It's a very American idea. Most notably in American football - the gridiron variety.

The worst performing side got first pick of the best college graduates.

The WPS draft model works differently, I believe, although 'works' may be a misnomer.

This from a WPS site: "Twenty-one players, many from the Olympic gold medal-winning U.S. national women's team, were assigned to the seven WPS teams on September 15. Players include such stars as Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, Heather Mitts and Carli Lloyd.

Each team received three players, with consideration given for players' current homes and the former WUSA teams for which they played.

A draft that will put two top international stars on each team will take place at the end of September. A general draft of other U.S. and international players will take place October 15 through the beginning of 2009."

Yeah. Good luck with that in England.

shlj

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 10:13:19 AM »
You have the same draft system in NBA. The Bulls got hold of MJ this way when they were simply rubbish back in the 80's. 
Seriously for the FA to choose the team the players will play with  :o
Especially for those who dislike each other  ;)
I can see a big cock up coming there if not managed properly  ;D