Author Topic: Bay Area/Gold Pride  (Read 16496 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Bay Area/Gold Pride
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »
Pro Women's soccer returns to the Bay Area

Chronicle Staff Report

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The latest incarnation of a women's pro soccer league is headquartered in San Francisco. Now, the league will have a team in the Bay Area, too.

Women's Professional Soccer plans to announce today that it is adding a Bay Area franchise to the group of charter teams that is to begin play in April.

It has not been announced where the Bay Area team will play. The other six teams are in Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, New Jersey/New York, St. Louis and Washington, D.C. The league is to expand in 2010 to include Atlanta, Dallas and Philadelphia.

To stock its teams with players, the WPS first is going to allocate players from the U.S. national team and its player pool this month. Next will be a draft of top international players, followed by a general draft for domestic and international players.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/03/SP0T12NBDT.DTL

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:08:29 PM by redrobin »

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pro women's soccer returns to the Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »

Women's Professional Soccer plans to announce today that it is adding a Bay Area franchise to the group of charter teams that is to begin play in April.

It has not been announced where the Bay Area team will play. The other six teams are in Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, New Jersey/New York, St. Louis and Washington, D.C. The league is to expand in 2010 to include Atlanta, Dallas and Philadelphia.

Thanks for posting this article redrobin

This is really good news for the San Francisco Bay Area, but very disappointing news for fans of women's football here in San Diego.  Now that there are 10 clubs for the first two WPS seasons, I'm not very optimistic about our chances of have a professional women's football club in San Diego again anytime soon.  :(

Bente Nordby - Verdens Beste Keeper

Vær snill og rett feilene mine
(Please correct my mistakes)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »
Bay Area joins Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) for inaugural season

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Dallas franchise now slated to begin play in 2010 

SAN FRANCISCO (September 3, 2008) – Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) announced today that it has entered an agreement with a Bay Area investor group to operate a team that will play in the League’s inaugural 2009 season.  The addition of the Bay Area alongside Los Angeles gives WPS two franchises located on the West Coast.

Led by Brian and Nancy NeSmith, the Bay Area ownership group joins investors in Boston, Chicago, New Jersey/New York, St. Louis, Washington, D.C. and L.A. as teams planned for the League’s 2009 season, thereby giving the League a national footprint of three East Coast, two Midwest and two West Coast franchises. WPS will expand to Atlanta and Philadelphia in 2010 and continues to explore additional potential franchises for 2010 and beyond.  The WPS team planned for Dallas is now slated to begin play in 2010 as the League continues to work on securing a facility, with the intention that the Team will start play in the League’s second season.

“As one of the top six media markets in the country, the Bay Area is a prime growth opportunity for WPS as we seek to raise the League’s profile among soccer fans, other potential owners, and sponsors alike,” said WPS Commissioner Tonya Antonucci, whose League headquarters are based in San Francisco.

The President and Chief Executive Officer of Blue Coat Systems, Brian NeSmith leads the company in its mission to provide organizations with total visibility and control of all Web communications. NeSmith has strategically guided Blue Coat Systems, formerly known as CacheFlow, into the number one proxy appliance position worldwide.  Previously, he co-founded and was CEO of Ipsilon Networks, which was purchased by Nokia in 1997.  He and his wife, Nancy – the first female WPS majority owner – have two soccer-playing daughters.

“Nancy and I are eager to unite the Bay Area soccer community through a local WPS team, which will draw fans from across the region who can rally behind some of the world’s greatest athletes right here in Northern California,” said Brian NeSmith.  “We’re especially looking forward to exploring and implementing cutting-edge technology that will connect our brand, players, and fans.  Whether via blogs, photo and video sharing, or innovative in-stadium experiences, WPS and its teams will be ground-breaking in the level of unique brand and player interaction we offer.”

“With the U.S. Women bringing home Olympic gold and more girls playing soccer than ever before, this is the perfect time to raise the level of play in this country through WPS,” said Nancy NeSmith.  “I personally am proud to play a role in giving female athletes from around the globe an opportunity to play professionally and, from an ownership perspective, am looking forward to establishing the cornerstones of our Bay Area franchise at this month’s allocation of the U.S. Women’s National team.”     

“As a resident of the Bay Area myself, I’m eager to welcome Brian and Nancy to WPS,” said Jeff Mallet, WPS investor, San Francisco Giants investor, and former president of Yahoo! “This is a great soccer – and overall sports – market that will continue to thrive with Brian and Nancy’s support. Their commitment to the Bay Area soccer community, along with Brian’s long-time involvement with area businesses, will allow a WPS team in the Bay Area to succeed.”

The Bay Area has a rich soccer history as the WUSA’s CyberRays called the region home from 2001-2003, winning that league’s inaugural championship in 2001.  In addition, the San Jose Earthquakes have played a major role in Major League Soccer, winning two MLS Cup titles, and were also a member of the North American Soccer League from 1974 to 1984.  Santa Clara, Cal-Berkeley and Stanford’s renowned collegiate women’s soccer programs are also based in the Bay Area.

Plans for the Bay Area’s WPS nickname, logo, and colors as well as its stadium and coaching and front office staff will be announced at a later date.  Until then, the Bay Area team will participate in the mid-September allocation of the U.S. Women’s National Team, gold medalists in the 2008 Olympic Games.

http://womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid4540.aspx

shlj

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »
This is really good news for the San Francisco Bay Area, but very disappointing news for fans of women's football here in San Diego.  Now that there are 10 clubs for the first two WPS seasons, I'm not very optimistic about our chances of have a professional women's football club in San Diego again anytime soon.  :(
At least LA is nearby, it's better than going to Frisco  ;)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:27 AM »

Thanks for posting this article redrobin

It must have been a bit of a frustrating summer with both the San Diego teams struggling in the WPSL's Pacific South Division. Especially after the good records of the local teams in the last few years.

There was an interesting blogpost by Jen Stryker on her SoccerUSA site which seems to cast some light on the faltering steps of San Diego's bid for WPS representation.

"There it was, on the official Women's Professional Soccer Web site, a link for those interested in investing in a San Diego franchise for the inaugural 2009 season.

And that defines the state of a San Diego franchise in the reincarnation of the women's pro soccer league, drifting somewhere in cyberspace, still alive but rudderless and uncertain. Literally, up in the air.

As recently as last July, when the WPS owners held meetings in San Diego to coincide with the U.S. women's national team game against Brazil, Commissioner Tonya Antonucci said “it looks like it can get done for 2009.” The link on the WPS site noted that “the group expects to finalize formal entry into WPS in August of 2008.”

Platini Soaf, a well-known local youth coach and the man trying to assemble the money people, had identified two Los Angeles-based investors who were seeking ownership partners in San Diego. Then a local group formed with a reported $1 million of seed money. Things appeared to moving along.

“I was already scouting players, talking to some players from different countries, seeing if San Diego (based) players wanted to play for their hometown team,” said Soaf, who was to be head coach. “We were very close. We thought it was going to happen. Then it just totally shut down.”

Members of the San Diego group have declined comment, and the names of the L.A. investors were never made public. Soaf described the primary issue as how much money the L.A. investors would put up and how much ownership control they'd retain. When the two sides couldn't come to terms, Soaf said, the deal unraveled barely a week before the league's Sept. 1 deadline.

Maybe 2010, maybe later, maybe never. No one currently holds the rights to the San Diego market, and Soaf said the L.A. and San Diego groups are moving forward independently."

At the risk of stirring BillyBoy's wrath, I still have the old fashioned view that a team and club should grow within a community and in the football world rather than be an entity which can emerge and disappear at will or whim.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Bay Area
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:55:01 PM »
Bay Area Names Brazilian great Sissi as Assistant Coach
Monday, September 29, 2008
By: WPS

Former FIFA World Cup Golden Boot winner, Sissi has been named as an assistance coach for the Bay Area franchise in Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS). The two-time Olympian and three-time World Cup player for Brazil was considered one of the world’s top footballers in her playing days and helped lead the San Jose CyberRays to the first league title in WUSA in 2001. She moved on to coaching in 2004 and since then has lead junior teams to regional titles in Idaho, as well as coaching Las Positas Community College to its first playoff berth in 2006. She joins Albertin Montoya, the Head Coach, on the Bay Area’s coaching staff.

http://womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid5384.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »
Barnhart, Buehler to play for Bay Area team in WPS

Olympians among the first named to the latest team formed.

Nicole Barnhart left her coaching position at Stanford to pursue a playing career in women's soccer. Luckily she won't be too far away.

Stanford grads and Olympians Barnhart and defender Rachel Buehler will play for the yet-to-be-named Bay Area team in the Women's Professional Soccer league.

Stanford's current volunteer coach, Albertin Montoya, will take the helms of the team. Montoya, a Santa Clara grad, also coaches the Youth MVLA Soccer Club, where Stanford freshmen Teresa Noyola and Lindsay Taylor honed their skills for several years.

"I am so excited to have been placed on the Bay Area team," Buehler said. "I have many friends and supporters in the region and the Bay Area really has become a second home to me. I can't wait to play with Barnie, my former Stanford teammate. I feel like this league will provide a great opportunity for me to learn and improve as a player."

The league will begin its first preseason training camp on March 1, with games tentatively set for the first weekend of April.

"Hopefully this means a lot of fans will come out and watch us play," Barnhart said. "There are a lot of kids in the Bay Area involved with soccer, and hopefully we can be role models for them, and the fact that we grew up playing college ball in the area will draw out a lot more people who want to come out and see us play at the next level."

The Bay Area franchise was awarded two weeks ago, replacing the Dallas entry, which will compete in the league's second season.

"To have the Bay Area get a team at the last minute, and to think I can play for them and for it to happen like this, it's seriously so crazy it worked out like this," Osborne said.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=9344&team=bayarea

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
Bay Area’s allocated players will defend their turf
by Graham Hays, Womensprosoccer.com

(Sept. 17, 2008) - The only franchise to emerge from the allocation process without at least one veteran of the WUSA, the as yet unnamed Bay Area team doesn't need to defend its decisions. Familiar faces in their own right in Northern California, franchise cornerstones Nicole Barnhart, Rachel Buehler and Leslie Osborne will provide all the defending necessary.

Itself the most recent addition to the lineup for the inaugural season of Women's Professional Soccer, the Bay Area team stuck close to its roots with Stanford alums Barnhart and Buehler and former Santa Clara star Osborne. That was just fine for players who weren't aware they could, indeed, go home again until the announcement earlier this month that Brian and Nancy NeSmith were bringing women's professional soccer back to the area that produced the WUSA's first champions one year after Barnhart, the elder stateswoman of the three current players, finished her freshman season at Stanford.

"To have the Bay Area get a team at the last minute, and to think I can play for them and for it to happen like this, it's seriously so crazy it worked out like this," Osborne said.

Returning to the Bay Area to play in WPS is a dream come true for Leslie Osborne. Earlier this summer, long before news of the Bay Area entry, Barnhart talked about her desire to stay on the West Coast, where the Pennsylvania native had remained after her collegiate career while she pursued a spot with the National Team and served as an assistant coach at her alma mater. But with only the Los Angeles franchise fitting the bill at the time, she admitted it might be a long shot. So it was for Osborne, the Wisconsin native, who, while excited about the prospect of playing professionally anywhere, hadn't found the perfect fit while mulling her allocation preferences prior to the Bay Area entry.

"None of the cities for me felt like home really," Osborne explained. "Chicago, for me, was the most appealing, just because I have lived there, my family is from the Midwest, I have a lot of ties there. But I didn't feel like that would be home for me. So when (Bay Area) popped in, and to know that they have a chance and for it to happen, I can't tell you how happy I am to be back up there. … I feel at home up there."

And now former rivals (Santa Clara leads the all-time series with an 18-7-5 record) hope the spotlight that shone on their battles for bragging rights has some more wattage.

"Hopefully this means a lot of fans will come out and watch us play," Barnhart said. "There are a lot of kids in the Bay Area involved with soccer, and hopefully we can be role models for them, and the fact that we grew up playing college ball in the area will draw out a lot more people who want to come out and see us play at the next level."

What Barnhart, Buehler and Osborne are capable of doing at that next level is as much a part of why they're back in the Bay Area as trips down memory lane. Familiarity is a nice selling point for a brand new team, but it only goes so far. As with any sport, nothing is going to build a fan base and generate interest quite like winning. And in just three moves, the blueprint is evident for how Bay Area hopes to build a winner with elegant soccer built off the backbone of a reliable defense.

Osborne is still battling back from major knee and ankle surgeries –"Let's just say I stepped up my doctor and my therapist's games," she joked of the procedures that kept her off the Olympic roster. But when she's at 100 percent, which she said she expects to be the case for the start of the season, Bay Area will have the kind of strength up the middle that is no less valuable on the soccer field than on the baseball diamond.

Starting from the back, it radiates outward from a ‘keeper who has patiently waited for her next full-time starting opportunity since leaving the field at Stanford as an All-American. The third ‘keeper on the World Cup squad last fall, she moved up to the No. 2 position behind Hope Solo for this summer’s golden Olympic excursion. And as much as she benefited from training in that environment, she's ready to do some field research. 

"It's been a little while since I've been the No. 1 ‘keeper on a team," Barnhart said. "So I'm really excited about the opportunity to take over that role, or earn that role really, and get some games in. That's the big thing that I'm really excited about with this league is playing in an area, training for a couple of months together and getting a lot of games in."

Barnhart flashed some of that potential in matches leading up to the Olympics this year, including the key save in a penalty shootout during the final of CONCACAF Olympic qualifying, leaving even her past, current and future defensive teammates eager for more.

"She's one of the best goalies in the country, and although she hasn't gotten to play in a lot of World Cups and Olympics, she's just right there," Osborne said. "So to have her in goal is amazing. And then to have Rachel Buehler be able to lead our back line … she's tough, she's solid. And then for me to kind of float ahead of them, I'm pretty confident that in the back, we're going to be pretty strong and tough. And so hopefully now going forward we can get some good attacking players."

Even with only three players on the roster, half the field already seems to be in good hands for the Bay Area side. That's the kind of boundless optimism one would hope to find from someone like Osborne, who described herself as "heartbroken" when, as a senior at Santa Clara, she watched the San Jose CyberRays close up shop.

Unexpectedly handed their own shot at rebuilding that, it's no surprise all three Bay Area first-time pros are ready to defend it. That's what they're good at.

"I want to make this work, and I want this to be successful," Osborne said. "I take a lot of heart in anything I can do for this league, for little girls, for this game."

http://womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid4956.aspx?team=bayarea

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »
Brazilian star to join new Bay Area soccer team
by Elliott Almond, Mercury News
24th September 2008

The Bay Area's start-up women's soccer team took three world-class veterans and a promising defender in the international draft.

The team, which is expected to announce its name and where it will play next week, took Brazilian midfielder Formiga with the first pick of the Women's Professional Soccer draft held this week.

The club also took Canadian forward Christine Sinclair, a former college player of the year from Portland, and Japanese forward Eriko Arakawa and Brazilian defender Erika. All recently appeared in the Summer Olympics in China.

Formiga isn't as well known as Brazilian stars Marta and Christine, but she has appeared in four Women's World Cups and four Olympics. "She's one of the best players in the world,'' team owner Nancy NeSmith said.

Erika, a member of Brazil's Olympic team that finished second to the United States, is expected to be part of the country's next generation of star players.

Sinclair is Canada's all-time leading scorer. In 2002 she scored twice against Santa Clara to lead Portland to the NCAA title.

The four players add to the team's recent U.S. national team picks Leslie Osborne, Rachel Buehler and Nicole Barnhart. The league's domestic draft is scheduled next month with a college draft planned in December.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10548138?nclick_check=1&team=bayarea

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
First came the America WNT picks, then the international draft for WPS negotiation rights with overseas players. The next pre-announced phase of the WPS team squad was to be the general draft. But before that the new WPS League squeezed in a series of announcements on post-draft discovery players - basically an additional set of negotiation rights for foreign internationals.

The Bay Area choice was Anja Mittag, the young Turbine Potsdam midfielder and striker. Anja starred for the German Under 19s in the early part of the decade and has gone on to feature in their World Cup winning squad in China and the bronze medal Olympic squad this summer.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »
The WPS October general draft results are on the main league thread but have been followed by some comment on the choices made by the seven teams.

Comment on the Bay Area choice was as follows:-

Picks: Jill Oakes, Kandace Wilson, Liz Bogus, Tracy Hamm

Bay Area loaded up on defensive stalwarts in the allocation process, landing Nicole Barnhart, Rachel Buehler and Leslie Osborne. Then they added the potential for a dynamic attack with the rights to internationals Christine Sinclair, Formiga, Eriko Arakawa and Anja Mittag. So it's not too surprising that Monday's draft class was heavy on potential role players to fill in the missing pieces.

At the top of the class, Oakes is worthy of her place as the first defender off the board on the day. The former UCLA star most recently helped anchor the back line for the W-League champion Pali Blues (alongside fellow first-rounder Amy LePeilbet and second-rounder Kendall Fletcher). Steady and polished, it's easy to see her developing a productive symbiotic partnership with the physical and aggressive Buehler.

Bay Area went back to the Blues in the next two rounds, adding versatile talents Kandace Wilson, a potential goal-scoring presence, and Liz Bogus, a player capable of playing just about anywhere in front of Osborne and the back line. Neither was a particularly eye-popping choice – Wilson was sandwiched between Christie Welsh and India Trotter, while Bogus was selected immediately after Angie Woznuk and before Lori Lindsey – but they seem to fit exactly the mold Bay Area is forging of well-rounded technicians.

Former Cal standout Hamm, who earned first-team honors in the WPSL's Pacific Conference this summer, rounded out Bay Area’s picks.

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 02:13:13 AM »
Bay Area adding depth
Monday, October 20, 2008
by Kent McDill, womensprosoccer.com

(Oct. 20, 2008) -- When Albertin Montoya attended the W-League Combine in early September, he saw something he has rarely seen in his many years of coaching.

In a scrimmage, Kandace Wilson, a defender (and former track star) out of California State University, Fullerton who spent this past summer playing for the Pali Blues, corralled the ball at her team's 18-yard line. What Wilson did next made Montoya take notice.

"She went from her 18-yard box to the other, and no one came close to her,” said Montoya, coach of the Bay Area’s Women's Professional Soccer team. "That run, from the 18 to the 18, she was running by players, like they were cones out there."

So, despite the fact Wilson missed the next couple of combine scrimmages because of an injury, Montoya selected her among the four choices he had in the WPS General Draft on Oct. 6.

Montoya also selected Wilson's Pali Blues teammate Jill Oakes, a center back out of UCLA; Liz Bogus, a forward from Arizona State who also played for Pali Blues; and defensive midfielder Tracy Hamm, a University of California, Berkeley product who played for the WPSL’s California Storm this past summer.

Like all the other WPS teams, Montoya now has a roster of about a dozen players, including the players received in the National Team allocation and selected in the International Draft.

All of the players chosen by Montoya in the General Draft have California connections (Pali Blues play out of Santa Monica). The players’ local ties were a factor in his decision-making process.

"I wanted players that are excited to be with us,” Montoya said. “If you have players with families all across the country, it can make it difficult to find a happy place.”

Oakes, 24, was capped by the U.S. Women's National Team at the 2005 Algarve Cup, an annual tournament held in Portugal.

"In my opinion, she as the best soccer player I saw at the combine,” Montoya said. "She had a little bit of everything: pace, she was very technical, good size, great in the air, excellent awareness, ball distribution, right foot, left foot."

Montoya said he planned to play Oakes at central midfield to take advantage of her skills.

Wilson, who turns 24 on Oct. 24, was a member of the California State University, Fullerton 4X400 relay team that qualified for the NCAA regionals and set a school record.

"I've seen her play several times, but she was playing forward,” Montoya said. "Our coaching staff saw her at the combine and thought she was spectacular at outside back. We are looking forward to working with her. She has so much potential. She is one of the best athletes I've seen in years playing this game, if we can get her to understand our system."

Wilson ended her college career in the spring of 2007, coached her niece's U-11 team in the fall of 2007 and joined Pali Blues at the beginning of this year where she found herself lining up with Oakes and Bogus.

Wilson said she remembers the day she heard a new women's pro league was being formed.

"I was extremely excited,” Wilson said. "When I first heard about it, details were kind of iffy. But I kind of waited for more information. Now, it feels more certain. I'm so excited, it makes me speechless at times."

To Wilson, the way the teams are being formed through a number of drafts compares to her friends and former teammates being selected to form the basis of one huge tournament.

"Everybody knows everyone,” Wilson said. "We had seven or eight Pali Blues girls go to the league. That is really exciting. It will be kind of awkward playing against each other, but it will be nice seeing everyone again."

Montoya wanted to build his team from the back forward and out, so with the depth he has established, he is ready to look for strikers in the upcoming January draft. Now he’s back on the scouting trail seeking out the next player whose extraordinary skills bowl him over.

http://womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid5856.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Bay Area/Gold Pride
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:26 PM »
The Bay Area team, which has adopted the name of FC Gold Pride for their WPS campaign, had third pick in the player draft today and went for Christina DiMartino

FC Gold Pride Selects Christina DiMartino In The First Round of the WPS Draft
Friday, January 16, 2009
by FC Gold Pride

ST. LOUIS, MO- January 16, 2009- FC Gold Pride selected midfielder, Christina DiMartino as its first round draft pick, third overall, in today's WPS Draft.  The draft is being held in conjunction with the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention at America's Center Convention Complex in St. Louis. 

"Christina is the best attacking midfielder in the country by far," said FC Gold Pride Head Coach Albertin Montoya.  "She can create, she can finish and she possesses skills you just can't teach.  Her vision of the game is impeccable.  We wish her the best in camp with the National team and look forward to her arrival in the Bay Area."

The Long Island native recently capped her career with UCLA after helping the Bruins continue their reign as one of the longstanding powerhouses of collegiate soccer.  During her tenure she was part of four Pac-10 conference championship teams and also helped the Bruins to four appearances at the NCAA College Cup during her tenure. 

"I'm honored to be picked in the first round," said DiMartino of being selected first by FC Gold Pride. "I'm excited to head to the Bay Area I heard it's great.  I met Albertin at the combine he seemed like a great guy and an awesome coach.  I'm excited to be a part of the Bay Area team. "   

The 22 year-old midfielder has been recognized throughout her young career as one of the top players in women's soccer.  Most recently, she was named the Pac-10 conference Player of the Year, MAC Herman Trophy finalist for a second consecutive year and a first-team All American for her outstanding performance in 2008.

A long-time member of the US Soccer Youth National teams, DiMartino has been called into training with the US Women's Senior National Team in preparation for the Algarve Cup, which will be held at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA.  The 22 year old has one cap under her belt and joins fellow Pride teammates, goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart and defender Rachel Buehler on the national team training roster.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid7706.aspx?team=bayarea

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »
Brandi Chastain joins Women's Professional Soccer as a Member of FC Gold Pride
Friday, January 16, 2009
by FC Gold Pride

ST. LOUIS, MO - FC Gold Pride selected soccer icon, Brandi Chastain in the seventh round, 45th overall, of the WPS Draft. The draft is being held in conjunction with the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention at America's Center Convention Complex in St. Louis. 

"We couldn't be happier that she was available to us in the seventh round," said FC Gold Pride Head Coach Albertin Montoya. "She is invaluable to this league. Her experience, passion for the game and leadership is among the best in the world. She will definitely help our young players grow as athletes and professionals. Having her is truly priceless and I'm really looking forward to working with Brandi again. All of FC Gold Pride is excited about having her join the team."

Chastain has served as a trailblazer for women's soccer as part of the golden decade of the US Women's National team during the 90's, one of the most dominant teams the sport has seen to date. She was a member for the 1991 and 1999 Women's World Cup Championship teams as well as the Olympic teams that brought home gold in 1996 and 2004 and silver in 2000. 

The Bay Area native is best known for elevating the profile of women's soccer with her game winning penalty kick in the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup that defeated China and ignited an explosive soccer following and increased participation in the sport.   

Chastain's collegiate career brought her to the fields at Santa Clara University where she twice lead the Broncos to NCAA Final Four championship appearances.  By the time she left Santa Clara, Chastain was beginning to establish herself with the US senior National team. 

Chastain has made the most of her time away from the competitive circuit becoming a published author of  a book titled "It's Not about the Bra," serving as a soccer analyst on ABC/ESPN and NBC Sports coverage of MLS and Olympic soccer competition and remaining active on the field, playing for the California Storm of the WPSL.

Chastain currently resides in San Jose, CA with her husband Jerry Smith and their son Jayden.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid7718.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »
Local report on Tiffany Weimer, star player for WPSL side Soccerplus Connecticut, as she joins the Gold Pride ranks.

Weimer went around the world and back again
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
by Dave Solomon, New Haven (Connecticut) Register

Soccer has taken Tiffany Weimer around the world, to exotic places where a talented women’s player could make a nice living.

But like so many other talented young American women soccer players, Weimer wondered, why not here?

In the last six months alone, Weimer, the former North Haven soccer standout, has lived in Finland (for two months) and Brazil (for a month), "because there’s nothing for people my age (25) in terms of being able to play soccer here during those months," she said. "It’s either do what I did two years ago, coach (as an assistant at Fairfield University), or train with other teams, which is never fun because you’re just a practice player. I wanted to go somewhere where I could play games and be part of a team."

Weimer’s dream to play professionally in the United States will turn to reality in the spring as a member of the FC Gold Pride, based in Santa Clara — one of seven franchises in the new Women’s Professional Soccer league. Weimer was the team’s third-round pick Friday.

"I was ecstatic," Weimer said. "They started talking about this league last year, and that’s exactly what I wanted to do ... play in this league. There are opportunities to play all over the world, but to actually play here is like a dream come true."

Weimer was hoping to play in the WUSA when she graduated from Penn State, but that plan was dashed when the league folded in 2003 during her sophomore season in Happy Valley.

"I feel like this is a good time for women’s soccer," said Weimer, now living in West Haven. "We just won in the Olympics and I know I want to be in this group of women who are role models for kids like I had growing up ... soccer players like Mia Hamm and Michelle Akers and Kristine Lilly."

One of Weimer’s new teammates will be Brandi Chastain, the former U.S. Olympic and World Cup standout who became a nationally recognized sports figure — by showing just that — in the world famous 1999 sports bra celebration.

Moreover, Brazilian soccer superstar Marta, the female David Beckham, will be joining the Los Angeles franchise to boost the league’s profile.

Weimer said she had no idea that the Gold Pride had targeted her on their draft board, but it just so happens that one of the assistant coaches on the team, Sisleide "Sissi" Lima Do Amor, a native of Brazil, was one of Weimer’s role models growing up. Weimer would watch — study might be closer to the truth — videos of international soccer superstars, like Pele and Sissi, over and again to learn and incorporate some of the skills in her own game.

Weimer didn’t become "magic with the ball," — as a U.S. soccer official once called her — without some serious study and practice growing up.

Gold Pride coach Albertin Montoya laughed when told that Weimer would often try to duplicate "Sissi’s" flamboyant skills as a kid growing up in North Haven. "You know what? Sissi, still to this day, does amazing things with the ball," Montoya said. "At 40 years old, Sissi can still perform magic out there. And I think Tiffany is definitely going to learn from her. We’re going to have an exciting team ... definitely entertaining, that’s for sure. Tiffany is going to be loving playing for us in the Bay area."

Montoya has seen Weimer play before in person and on tape, but said he was really "blown away" with her skills during the recent East Coast Combine about a month ago. In fact, Montoya thought she might even go in the first round. When she was still available in the third, "we just jumped right at it. We didn’t even have to think about it. Even though we maybe were looking for a back, it was just ‘no way.’ She was the best player out there.

"She is a player that can take players on and make things happen out of nothing," Montoya said. "She is extremely creative and possesses skills that we don’t often see in the American player. She can beat you on the dribble. She can beat you by combining with someone else, and most importantly, she has proven herself, time and time again, to be an incredible goal scorer. She did pretty much anything she wanted to do with the ball (at the East Coast Combine)."

Weimer set a Big Ten record with 91 goals during his career at Penn State and holds the NCAA record for most goals in consecutive games (17).

One can only presume that all of those tapes that Weimer watched with religious fervor growing up paid handsome dividends.

"That’s what I enjoy doing most, being creative with the ball," Weimer said. "When you have the ball, it’s just like basketball or hockey ... you can do whatever you want with it. It’s your open forum to be creative. That’s one of the coolest parts about soccer."

Now she’s hoping to bring her own brand of soccer cool to a new forum, the WPS — and show a generation of young women’s soccer players that they can aspire to play professionally right at home, too.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/01/21/sports/doc49771296f3427820562599.txt
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:41:03 PM by redrobin »

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »
Chastain brings experience, passion to FC Gold Pride
Thursday, January 22, 2009
by Kathryn Knapp, Womensprosoccer.com

ST. LOUIS – Say the name “Brandi Chastain” and one image comes to mind: the 5’7” defender ripping off her jersey exposing her sports bra and falling to her knees with her fists clenched as she celebrated netting the decisive penalty kick in the USA’s victory at the Rose Bowl in the 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Brandi Chastain was drafted 45th overall by FC Gold Pride. Ten years later, Chastain is preparing to make new memories for both herself and fans alike as a member of FC Gold Pride, the Bay Area’s entry in Women’s Professional Soccer.  FC Gold Pride selected Chastain with the No. 45 pick overall in last Friday’s 2009 WPS Draft.

“There are so many emotions that have gone through my head over the last few months,” Chastain said. “[The day of the draft] I got up early. I was just waiting for the draft. Having an opportunity to do what you love is something everybody dreams about. I am thrilled beyond belief and I can hardly wait.”

FC Gold Pride head coach Albertin Montoya was thrilled to draft Chastain.

“I’ve seen her play several times,” Montoya said. “After watching her train and play… she can still do it. The experience she has is going to be great for our team.”

A member of the U.S. Women’s National Team from 1991-2004, Chastain’s resume includes two FIFA World Cup titles and a pair of Olympic gold medals.  She also won the 2001 WUSA title with the Bay Area CyberRays.  Since moving on from the National Team, the 40-year-old Chastain has played with the WPSL’s Sacramento Storm.  At nearly twice the age of many of her Storm teammates, Chastain concentrates on sharing her experiences with her fellow players.

“I’m like a coach on the field,” Chastain said. “I love all that goes into making a player, making a team. I think at some point coaching will definitely be in my future. But for now, I feel I still have a lot of room to grow as a player.”

Towards that end, Chastain continues to hone her game.

“There’s nothing I love more than training and working hard,” Chastain said. “I’ve always had this excitement about being prepared and being the best. I have no doubt that I’ll be a better player when the season comes around. I’m not as fast as I was at 21… but I’m smarter than I was at 21. If my heart and my desire and what I still think are goals have any factor in it… I’ve got some years left.”

Midfielder Christina DiMartino, FC Gold Pride’s top pick at No. 3 overall, respects all that Chastain brings to the field.

“I always admired Brandi and looked up to her,” said DiMartino, a 22-year-old UCLA product. “She’s a wonderful player and hard worker. To be able to be on the field with her and learn from her is something any soccer player would love. I’m thrilled to have that opportunity.”

In addition to Chastain, FC Gold Pride selected nine other players in the 2009 WPS Draft, including quite a few steals in the draft.

The aforementioned DiMartino, a 2008 M.A.C. Hermann Trophy Finalist, joins the club after leading the UCLA Bruins to four consecutive NCAA College Cups.  In round two with the No. 12 selection, FC Gold Pride selected Notre Dame defender Carrie Dew, a two-time Big East Defender of the Year and 2008 first-team NSCAA All-American.

No. 17 pick forward Tiffany Weimer played at Penn State from 2002-2005 and twice finished as the runner-up for the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy. Since leaving Happy Valley, she’s played with the W-League’s Washington Freedom, the WPSL’s Soccer Plus CT, Finland’s Aland United and Brazil’s Santos FC.

“We picked three first rounders with our first picks,” Montoya said. “Christina is one of the best attacking players in the game. Dew is solid all around. And Tiffany brings that X factor.”

The club added defender Marisa Abegg (No. 26), midfielder/forward Ameera Abdullah (No. 31), midfielder Leigh Ann Robinson (No. 40), goalkeeper Allison Whitworth (No. 54), forward/midfielder Alissa Oldenkamp (No. 59) and forward Stacie Alberico (No. 68) to its roster to close out the day.

With a talented group of players eyeing spots on FC Gold Pride’s roster, Montoya expects the intensity to be high during pre-season.

“Regardless of whether you’re the first draft pick or the last draft pick, you still have to compete,” Montoya said. “I think Brandi may be the best competitor in the league.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8146.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »
FC Gold Pride Signs Brazilian Soccer Star Formiga
Wednesday, February 04, 2009
by FC Gold Pride

SANTA CLARA, California - FC Gold Pride, the Bay Area franchise of Women’s Professional Soccer announced today the signing of Brazilian Soccer standout Formiga, to a one-year contract.  FC Gold Pride selected Formiga as the first overall draft pick at the WPS International Draft. 

"With Formiga, we have signed the best midfielder in the world," said FC Gold Pride Head Coach Albertin Montoya. "She holds teams together.  I spoke to several coaches from around the world before selecting her in the WPS international draft.  She is consistently regarded around the world as the engine of her team.  She embodies the heart and soul of the Brazilian National team and we are looking forward to having her bring her talent and passion to FC Gold Pride."

The 30 year old native of Sao Paulo, Brazil has been a constant presence on the Brazilian national team for 15 years, representing her country in four World Cup competitions (1995, 1999, 2003, 2007) and four Olympic tournaments (1996, 2000, 2004, 2008). The talented midfielder has been a leader and a catalyst for the marked rise of women’s soccer in Brazil.  She has twice helped Brazil reach the Olympic gold medal match (2004, 2008) and twice captured the Pan American Games Championship (2003, 2007), lifting her team to victory in 2003 by scoring the game-winning goal in the match. 

Formiga, who currently resides in Brazil, will join her FC Gold Pride teammates in the Bay Area when the team opens training camp on March 1.

Fans won’t want to miss a minute of the action as the Pride kicks off the inaugural WPS season at Buck Shaw Stadium at Santa Clara University on Sunday, April 5.  The Pride will host 10 home games at Buck Shaw Stadium against the inaugural field of teams that includes: Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, Los Angeles Sol, Sky Blue FC (New York/New Jersey), St. Louis Athletica and Washington Freedom . 

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8486.aspx

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »
Arakawa to join U.S. soccer league

Japan striker Eriko Arakawa will join FC Gold Pride, the San Francisco Bay Area franchise of the U.S.-based Women's Professional Soccer league, NTV Beleza said Friday.

The 29-year-old Arakawa, known for her Afro-style hair, joins national squad teammates Homare Sawa and Aya Miyama in the league, which is set to commence this spring.

Sawa will play for the Washington Freedom, and Miyama will suit up for the Los Angeles Sol.

The Bay Area team picked Arakawa in the third round of the WPS international draft last September, a month after she helped Japan to a fourth-place finish at the Beijing Olympics — the country's best result in Olympic women's soccer history.

"Playing overseas has been one of my dreams. I decided to seize this opportunity," Arakawa said.

Arakawa has scored 20 goals in 68 matches for Japan.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sc20090214a2.html

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »
FC Gold Pride Extends Invitations to 10 Players for Training Camp
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
by FC Gold Pride

SANTA CLARA, California - FC Gold Pride, Bay Area franchise of Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) has extended invitations to 10 players to join the Pride’s pre-season training camp, which opens on March 1.

FC Gold Pride saw a large turnout for its open tryouts held this past weekend in Cupertino, CA. Hopefuls from across the country traveled to the Bay Area in pursuit of the ultimate dream, becoming a WPS player. At the completion of the two-day tryout, FC Gold Pride Head Coach Albertin Montoya and his staff opted to extend invitations for training camp to ten players who are not currently on the Pride roster. Eight of the ten players invited to training camp were selected from the team tryout. Among those receiving an invitation is one of US Soccer’s greatest goal scorers, Tiffeny Milbrett.

From the WPS Allocation, WPS International Draft, WPS General Draft and WPS Draft, FC Gold Pride currently holds the rights to 23 players. WPS teams are allowed to call 28 players into training camp. The absence of four Pride players from the start of training camp will allow Montoya to bring in additional prospective players for pre-season training. Pride goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart, defender Rachel Buehler and midfielder Tina DiMartino will be in Portugal with the US Women’s National Team as they aim to capture the country’s fifth consecutive Algarve Cup championship. Striker, Christine Sinclair will lead her native country to Rome, where Canada will defend its title at the Cyprus Cup. All players are expected to return to camp by March 14.

Montoya and the FC Gold Pride coaching staff are now tasked with the difficult job of whittling down the roster from 28 to 18 before the start of the Inaugural WPS Season.

Players invited to FC Gold Pride Pre-Season Training Camp:

Kristen Graczyk (SoccerPlus Connecticut)
Katie Hultin (Seattle Sounders)
Lindsay Massengale (California Storm)
Dulce Meza (Monterey Blues)
Meagan McCray (Sonoma Sol)
Tiffeny Milbrett (Vancouver Whitecaps)
Elizabeth Remy 
Joslyn Slovek
Leah Tapscott 
Kimberly Yokers (California Storm)

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid8976.aspx
FC Gold Pride will kick off the 2009 WPS season on April 5th at home against the Boston Breakers at Buck Shaw Stadium on the campus of Santa Clara University. 

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Tiff Milbrett!!! Well, there's a blast from the past!! I remember her goal against Norway in the Olympic final in Sydney. It tied the game, and she looked like a force of nature when she scored.