Author Topic: Bay Area/Gold Pride  (Read 14543 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Re: Bay Area/Gold Pride
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
Los Angeles Sol blank FC Gold Pride, 1-0

WPS - Staff Report
19th April 2009.
Carson, California

The Los Angeles Sol defeated FC Gold Pride, 1-0, on a scorching Sunday afternoon at The Home Depot Center to claim its third consecutive shutout victory of the season.

“It was great to see the excitement today,” said Los Angeles Sol Head Coach Abner Rogers.  “There were a lot of great scoring opportunities for both teams. You usually don’t see that type of excitement in a 1-0 game.”

After trading scoring opportunities for the first 44 minutes of the game, Japanese international Aya Miyama received a well placed through ball that gave the Sol a one-on-one scoring opportunity in the closing moments of the first half. But with pressure from FC Gold Pride keeper Nicole Barnhart, Miyama was forced to take a quick shot six yards out that grazed the outside right post and ended the half.

With halftime providing the Sol with an opportunity to escape the heat and regroup, they opened the second half with a new energy and a new formation that allowed them to set the tone for the rest of the game.

In the 47th minute, midfielder Aly Wagner chipped a ball over the backline that found Marta running in stride through the 18-yard box. Marta settled the ball down, took a quick touch and placed it past Barnhart into the back of the net.

“Marta made a great run and was in the gap,” said Wagner. “I played a ball over the backline into an open space and she did a great job finishing it.”

The Los Angeles Sol travel to face Saint Louis Athletica on Saturday, April 25 at 4pm ET / 3pm CT / 1pm PT.  FC Gold Pride returns to the Bay Area to host the Washington Freedom on Sunday, April 26 in a match that will be televised nationally on Fox Soccer Channel (6pm ET / 3pm PT).

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/general/090419-la-bay

Gold Pride:  1 Nicole Barnhart, 4 Rachel Buehler, 5 Christina Di Martino, 7 Leigh Ann Robinson (13 Kristen Graczyk, 57), 8 Tiffany Weimer (15 Tiffany Milbrett, 67), 9 Kandace Wilson, 10 Leslie Osborne, 12 Christine Sinclair, 19 Carrie Dew (20 Erika, 15), 30 Eriko Arakawa, 31 Formiga.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:46:18 PM by redrobin »

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »
Freedom edge FC Gold Pride, 4-3

WPS - Staff Report
26th April 2009
Santa Clara, California

It was never a matter of if, it was always a matter of when.

After failing to connect on her first 16 shots over the previous three Women’s Professional Soccer games, Abby Wambach finally did what everyone expected her to do on Sunday – score a goal.

But Wambach didn’t stop there. After heading in the game’s first goal on a free kick from Cat Whitehill, Wambach put the period on the match by heading in another Whitehill free kick in stoppage time to give the Freedom its first WPS win, 4-3 over FC Gold Pride in Santa Clara, Calif.

“Everyone can say there’s a monkey on my back, I do want to score goals for my team but most importantly I want to win games,” said Wambach. “There are still some things to work on – defensively we had a few break downs.  We put some goals in the back of the net today and that’s a big reason why we came out on top today.”

Heading into the half tied up at 1-1, Washington (1-2-1) seemed to put the game away early in the second half as Wambach assisted Lori Lindsey to put the Freedom up 2-1, after which Lindsey assisted Allie Long to increase the lead to 3-1.

FC Gold Pride (1-2-1) answered with goals from Tiffany Weimer and Christine Sinclair to knot things up at 3-3 in the 83rd minute before Wambach’s second goal put the end to the comeback bid.

“Well, I’d rather win in un-dramatic fashion but we are glad that we got the result,” said Freedom Head Coach Jim Gabarra. “We’ve been playing well the first couple weeks of the season but we haven’t got any bounces and we’ve given up some tough goals and not put our chances away so it was nice to do so today.  Even though it was the last minute, I thought both teams played well attacking-wise but we are very happy to get the first win.” 

Wambach came into the match with the most shots and shots on goal of anyone in WPS, but had failed to score a goal. Her troubles seemed to mirror the entire Washington offense as the Freedom had scored two goals while allowing six on the way to a 0-2-1 record and a spot at the bottom of the WPS standings. The win now vaults the Freedom into a tie for fourth with FC Gold Pride.

“That’s what we knew we were getting, it was nice for her to get a goal no matter how it was today and get her first goal of the season,” Gabarra said. “I think you see when she got one that she’s a lot more relaxed. Cat played a great ball to her and that is not something that is new to either of them. It is certainly very difficult to defend but I thought it was great.  I’m more pleased with her (Wambach’s) assist because that’s the space we need her to get into.”

One of the most encouraging signs for the Freedom aside from the offense has to be the ability of the team to win despite missing Sonia Bompastor, one of the team’s most consistent players through the first three games. Bompastor was called up to play with the French national team this week, causing her to miss the contest.

Her absence created one of several lineup changes for the Freedom, which had Kati Jo Spisak make her debut in goal and saw Kristin DeDycker, Jill Gilbeau and Rebecca Moros all make their first WPS starts.

FC Gold Pride remains in the Bay Area to host Sky Blue FC on Sunday, May 3 at 8pm ET/5pm PT.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/general/090425-bay-wsh.aspx

Gold Pride:  1 Nicole Barnhart, 2 Kimberly Yokers (12 Christine Sinclair, 60), 4 Rachel Buehler, 5 Christina Di Martino, 7 Leigh Ann Robinson (23 Lesley Massengale, 78), 8 Tiffany Weimer, 9 Kandace Wilson, 10 Leslie Osborne, 13 Kristen Graczyk, 15 Tiffany Milbrett, 30 Eriko Arakawa.   

Goals - Tiffany Milbrett (30), assist by Tiffany Weimer
           Tiffany Weimer (75), assist by Kandace Wilson
           Christine Sinclair (83), assist by Rachel Buehler
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:00:13 PM by redrobin »

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2009, 10:47:12 AM »
FC Gold Pride edges Sky Blue FC, 1-0

WPS - Staff Report
3rd May 2009
Santa Clara, California

The skies cleared and the sun shined for the second meeting of the season between FC Gold Pride and Sky Blue FC on Sunday.  The Pride emerged victorious, earning a 1-0 victory over Sky Blue FC in a physical match.

Both teams mounted dangerous attacks throughout the first half and as a result, both keepers were tested and came up with extraordinary saves.  FC Gold Pride keeper Nicole Barnhart earned her first shutout of the season, withstanding numerous seemingly unstoppable shots by Sky Blue FC’s offense.

“I think once again it was definitely an entertaining game,” said FC Gold Pride Head Coach Albertin Montoya.  “We played some good soccer out there unfortunately we didn’t get some goals there in the first half.  One thing we focused on this week was getting a clean sheet for the first time and fortunately it paid off for us.”

“I think I have to go out there and try to do everything I can to make sure my team is in it, and it doesn’t really matter what the other goalkeeper is doing,” said Barnhart.  “If I can do that that, it’s what counts and our defense played well too so we came out on top.”

The Pride was given a chance to get on the board in the 38th minute after forward Tiffany Weimer suffered a foul in the box.  Sky Blue FC goalkeeper Jenni Branam came up with a big save on Weimer's penalty kick, pushing the shot wide, and keeping the teams even at 0-0. 

“It comes from years of experience,” said Branam.  “It was all or nothing so I held as long as I could and I tried to fake one way and I went the other way.”

The match was filled with plenty of physical play. Sky Blue FC midfielder Kelly Parker may have gotten a little too physical pressuring Formiga and was issued a yellow card in the 44th minute.  The teams exchanged near misses at the end of the first half.  First, Heather O’Reilly hit the post on a sliding, all-out effort to find the back of the net.  Weimer followed up that attack by bouncing a well-struck free kick off the cross bar to end the half.

Both teams shook up their lineup in the second half, using up all three of their substitutions.   FC Gold Pride substituted the entire starting front line seeing Eriko Arakawa, Leigh Ann Robinson and Adriane take over the front line on the attack. 

The fresh legs up top seemed to be the right move for the Pride as Adriane connected with Leigh Ann Robinson for the game winning goal in the 86th minute.  For Robinson, who can usually be seen on the Pride’s back line, this marks the first goal of her professional career.

“I was just staying out wide; that is what we kept talking about,” said Robinson. “So, I was there and Adriane just got her head up, we made eye contact and she gave me a perfect ball so, I just went towards the goal.”

With Robinson’s goal, the Pride has now had goals scored by six different players, a stat that only the Pride and the Washington Freedom can claim.

With Sunday’s victory, the Pride takes over sole possession of fourth place in the WPS standings with a 2-2-1 record.  For Sky Blue FC, the loss leaves the team still searching of their first WPS victory. They now share the sixth place slot with the Saint Louis Athletica, both teams have a 0-2-2 record.

Today’s match was the second of five consecutive road games for Sky Blue FC.  The team will return home to regroup before heading to Chicago to take on the third place Red Stars on Sunday, May 10 in a match that will be broadcast on Fox Soccer Channel (6pm ET/3pm PT).  The Pride will take this week to prepare for its first trip to the Midwest to take on the Saint Louis Athletica on Saturday, May 9 (8pm ET/7pm CT/5pm PT).

Post-Game Quotes:

Gold Pride Head Coach Albertin Montoya

Overall impression of the game…

“I think once again it was definitely an entertaining game.  We’re playing some good soccer out there but unfortunately we didn’t get some goals there in the first half.  One thing we focused on this week was getting a clean sheet for the first time and fortunately it paid off for us.”

On calling the right shots with the substitutions…
“When it works out like that, it’s great.  We saw that we could use Leigh Ann’s (Robinson) speed.  It worked out that Adriane came in and she found the ball, turned and played the ball into Leigh Ann (Robinson) when she was making the run down the side. It’s nice to see when it works out that way.  It was a total team effort and we’ve seen that every day in practice.”

Goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart

On seeing the opposing goalie making huge saves and what it means for her level of play...

“I think I have to go out there and try to do everything I can to make sure my team is in it and it doesn’t really matter what the other goalkeeper is doing.  If I can do that that, it’s what counts and our defense played well too so we came out on top.”

Midfielder Leigh Ann Robinson

On her goalie and what it means to have her playing so well…

“When Barnie (Nicole Barnhart) plays like that it pumps me up and definitely gets our energy going with amazing save after amazing save that I don’t think other goalies could have made so it sparks our team. 

On her goal and how it unfolded…

“I was just staying out wide; that is what we kept talking about.  So I was there and Adriane just got her head up and we made eye contact and she gave me a perfect ball so I just went towards the goal.”

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/news/general/090503-bay-nj

Gold Pride:  1 Nicole Barnhart, 4 Rachel Buehler, 5 Christina Di Martino, 8 Tiffany Weimer (21 Adriane, 84), 9 Kandace Wilson, 10 Leslie Osborne, 12 Christine Sinclair (7 Leigh Ann Robinson, 70), 13 Kristen Graczyk, 15 Tiffany Milbrett (30 Eriko Arakawa, 57), 19 Carrie Dew, 31 Formiga.

Goal - Leigh Ann Robinson (86), assist by Adriane
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:44:06 PM by redrobin »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »
FC Gold Pride slashes ticket prices

After drawing the two lowest crowds of the inaugural Women's Professional Soccer season for back-to-back games -- 3,321 and 2,533 -- FC Gold Pride, WPS's Bay Area team, announced it was cutting individual game ticket prices by an average of 25 percent. In addition, beginning with the May 24 match against the Los Angeles Sol, the Pride will reduce seating capacity at Buck Shaw Stadium, the Santa Clara University stadium used by MLS's San Jose Earthquakes, from 10,500 to 5,680. 

"Providing value and entertainment to our fans is our top priority," said FC Gold Pride General Manager Ilisa Kessler.  "As a business, we cannot ignore the state of the national and local economy and recognize that we are all making decisions on where to spend our entertainment dollars.  We do not want the price of a ticket to be the barrier that keeps fans from experiencing Women's Professional Soccer."

FC Gold Pride's average individual game ticket was reduced from $30.75 to $23.

"Our new seating configuration is more in line with the team's goals and business plan," said Kessler. "Our intention is to provide fans with the best overall experience at the stadium and to create a real home field advantage for our team.  We feel both of these goals are served through the new seating plan."

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=32247

Offline K_Lincourt30

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 03:23:56 AM »
Gold Pride player Kandace Wilson was hurt during the match right before stoppage time. I tweeted FCGP, and they said it wasn't her knee, as first suspected. She hurt her right hip and strained her right quad muscle.

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
It took Kiki Bosio two minutes to understand the difference between playing for Santa Clara University and for FC Gold Pride of Women's Professional Soccer.

She "got laid out real bad" within 60 seconds of her pro debut two weeks ago at St. Louis.

"It was kind of a wake-up call," said Bosio, who might make her first start tonight when Gold Pride plays host to the Atlanta Beat at Castro Valley High School. "There's not a single player on the team that I say, 'Yeah, she's OK.' No, every player is great."

Bosio is one of three Bay Area college rookies who already have made an impact for the Pride, which features such international standouts as Camille Abily, Rachel Buehler, Marta and Christine Sinclair.

While Bosio is the club's fourth forward, Stanford's Kelley O'Hara and Ali Riley have had a seamless transition to WPS as immediate starters after last year's run to the College Cup title match.

In all, seven players from the 2010 draft have made the Pride's 21-member roster, a tribute to the level of women's college soccer. Perhaps none have accelerated as fast as Bosio, O'Hara and Riley.

"I knew the type of attitude and mentally they had to succeed," said coach Albertin Montoya, who worked with all three in college.

Most expected O'Hara, the 2009 women's college player of the year, to do well. After a stellar senior season at Stanford, the dazzling striker joined the U.S. national team. The Pride took her third overall in the draft.

O'Hara hasn't disappointed. She looked sharp in her pro debut two weeks ago and had two assists in helping Gold Pride win its home opener last weekend.

"International play and college prepared me for this," O'Hara said this week.

Montoya offers another reason:

"She is being challenged by Marta, Sinclair, and Camille every day," he said. "She wants to be at that level. She wants to make a name for herself."

O'Hara and Riley haven't had much idle time since turning pro. They practice in the morning in Danville, then take classes at Stanford in the afternoon. They expect to graduate in December.

When not listening to lectures, they're in the soccer classroom, absorbing the nuances of their acclaimed teammates, including Marta, FIFA's four-time player of the year.

Riley, who might not play tonight because of a viral infection, has been a defender for only two years. Her relative inexperience at fullback makes her ascension that much more remarkable.

"You have to be ready from the first minute for players trying moves on you," she said of WPS. "It's a little scary as a defender."

A member of New Zealand's national team, Riley has improved by practicing against her offensive-minded teammates. But she has gained even more insight from watching defenders Buehler and Candace Chapman, starters for the U.S. and Canadian teams, respectively.

The veterans have helped Riley understand the game's subtleties in a way she couldn't fully develop at Stanford. Montoya saw it coming when drafting her 10th overall.
"She's just sound," he said. "I don't have to worry about Ali. I don't have to think about her."

When Riley entered Stanford as a freshman four years ago the prospects of playing professionally were limited. Now, like many young women getting a chance to play professionally in the two-year-old American league, she appreciates every moment.

"I have to pinch myself every morning when I wake up," Riley said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_14949290

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »
At 5-feet-9, Carrie Dew is FC Gold Pride's tallest field player.

She needed every inch Saturday night, leaping high to score a dramatic header in the 88th minute as the Pride defeated the Atlanta Beat 2-1 in a Women's Professional Soccer match at Castro Valley High School.

Dew's goal helped Gold Pride (2-1-0) win its second consecutive match and send an announced crowd of 3,002 home feeling good.

The late goal highlighted an otherwise dreary affair bogged down by a defense struggle. Dew scored the only second-half goal after a scramble in front of the net that began with an acrobatic flip throw in by rookie Kiki Bosio.

The ball deflected off a Beat player before Ali Riley kept it alive, allowing Dew to drive home the winner.

"I had a clear shot at it," said Dew, who had missed two earlier headers. "We weren't going to give up until the end."

The Pride scored early and late, but did little in between because the winless Beat made it difficult.

"They put us under a lot of pressure," rookie forward Kelley O'Hara from Stanford said.

Despite starting poorly, Gold Pride took a short-lived lead in the 11th minute when Tiffeny Milbrett scored off a long lead pass from midfielder Camille Abily.

Milbrett patiently waited for the ball to land at her feet in order to stay onside. Then she took two strides and fired from 22 yards past former Pride goalkeeper Allison Whitworth.

The Pride allowed the equalizer 12 minutes later when keeper Nicole Barnhart miscalculated a clearance pass that Angie Kerr controlled. She fed Mexican forward Monica Ocampo, who split two defenders and blasted the ball past Barnhart.

Pride star Marta struggled in the first half because of a bruised right ankle. And Riley was slowed by a viral infection.

But overall, the team couldn't find its rhythm that led to a convincing victory last weekend over Sky Blue FC. It missed Canadians Christine Sinclair and Candace Chapman, who played with their national team against China on Saturday.

The Beat suffered a blow when star midfielder Tobin Heath left in the 20th minute with a right ankle injury.

But Gold Pride's defense didn't seem to have an answer for forward Ramona Bachmann, a rising star from Switzerland.

The 19-year-old sped past defenders as she made nice drives to the goal.

"I had never heard of her," O'Hara said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_14954802?nclick_check=1