Author Topic: Zimbabwe/Guinea: Mighty Warriors Match Postponed  (Read 753 times)

Offline David

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4229
    • View Profile
Zimbabwe/Guinea: Mighty Warriors Match Postponed
« on: February 14, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
THE Confederation of African Football have postponed the Olympic Games qualifier between Zimbabwe women's national soccer team and Guinea set for Conakry this weekend because of civil unrest in the West African country.

The Mighty Warriors had been set to travel to Guinea on Friday and coach Rosemary Mugadza was set to announce her final team today.

Mugadza's charges returned into camp last week after a friendly with Namibia in Windhoek and have been training twice a day at Lord Malvern High School.

But Mugadza will now have to wait a little longer after Zifa were advised by Caf late yesterday that the match had been put on hold indefinitely.

Zimbabwe Women's Soccer League chairperson Cecilia Gambe yesterday said she was hoping to get more updates from Caf and Fifa today.

"We are not breaking camp at the moment because we have just been instructed not to go to Guinea and will get more information from Caf tomorrow (today)

"We may break camp today and then tomorrow we are told we should go and play at another venue.

"Fifa said they are monitoring the situation and will engage the International Olympic Committee for the final decision on the matter.

"We are just hopeful something will come up as the girls have been training very hard for the match," said Gambe.

Caf are understood to have sent a brief statement to Zifa advising them against travelling to Conakry this weekend.

The West African country is paralysed by civil unrest as thousands of citizens, backed by the opposition and labour unions, have been demonstrating against President Lansa Conte.

The civil unrest, which started in January, took a lull before resuming with intensity at the weekend.

According to BBC reports from Conakry, the protestors have taken to the streets in at least four towns in Guinea, angered by Conte's decision to impose martial law.

There was also gunfire in the capital yesterday in Conakry, as security forces clashed with demonstrators calling on their ailing leader to step down.

Conte declared a "state of siege" last night and told the army to restore order after three days of violence.

A curfew has also been declared and the military told to prevent a civil war.

Correspondents say the streets of Conakry are largely deserted, except for the military patrols.

At least 15 people were reportedly killed in Conakry on Monday.

Gunfire was heard near army barracks, while gangs of youths armed with machetes and clubs were seen marching through some suburbs.

Others were killed in clashes on Saturday, as protesters took to the streets in several Guinean towns.

The unions called off last month's 18-day strike after Conte promised to hand over powers to a Prime minister.

But they renewed the strike action call after saying the man named on Friday for the post, Eugene Camara, was too close to Conte.

Dressed in traditional robes, Conte appeared on national television and radio to announce that the unrest amounted to a "state of siege" and the army had been ordered to "take all


http://allafrica.com/stories/200702140457.html