Author Topic: Brazilian women footballers set to correct mistakes in scoring  (Read 864 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
 SHENYANG, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- The Brazilian women footballers are determined to correct their old mistakes in front of the goal in the Beijing Olympic Games.

"We can't make the mistakes any more. When we get the ball, we should shoot it right," said forward Marta, who lost a penalty in the World Cup final against Germany last year.

"I prefer to watch the video (of the World Cup final) so we can see all our mistakes," said Marta, the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year.

"I got very sad then but it was not a trauma and I quickly got over it, and I recently shot a penalty right for my club in Sweden."

The Brazilian women's football team, led by attacking artists Cristiane and Marta, arrived in Olympic co-host city of Shenyang on Saturday. Their training on Sunday featured a session of spot kicks.

"We know our mistakes and what we should correct," said Barbara, another player in the squad. "There should be no mistakes in the final parts of what meant to goal."

The team will play the opening match against Germany in Shenyang Olympic Stadium on Aug 6.

Barbara said it's good that Brazil face Germany, as Germany are very hard and then they will have easier time against the other teams.

"If we have to play Germany, why not just play it in the very beginning?" she said.

Being one of the best teams in the world, the Brazilians went home with silver in both Athens Olympics and 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup.

The Brazilian men's football team, including mega stars such as AC Milan's Ronaldinho and Alexandre Pato, also arrived in Shenyang on Saturday.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/03/content_8926425.htm