Author Topic: Women's Professional Soccer plans draft and tryouts for seven teams  (Read 2157 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Preparing for its inaugural season next year, Women's Professional Soccer will pick players for its seven teams through drafts and tryouts around the country.

WPS, based in San Francisco, said Tuesday it will wait until after next month's Beijing Olympics to start selecting players. After the Games, the WPS said it will build rosters through an allocation of U.S. Women's National Team stars and international players in September.

One month later the league will conduct a general draft for both domestic and international players, followed by east and west coast combines in December and a post-combine draft in January.

WPS plans to begin play in April 2009 with teams in Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, St. Louis and Washington D.C. The team plans to add a franchise in Philadelphia in 2010.

WPS is the successor to Women's United Soccer Association, a league that operated from 2001 to 2003 with players like Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain and Julie Foudy. The WUSA fielded eight teams, including the San Jose CyberRays, by capitalizing on euphoria after the U.S. women's team won the 1999 World Cup. WUSA backers, who lost millions of dollars, pulled the plug after TV and attendance goals fell short.

WPS said it continues to look for more cities that want to field teams. Other cities that might host a franchise include San Diego, Cary, N.C., Atlanta and the San Francisco Bay Area. A franchise costs about $1.5 million.

Before play begins next year, WPS Commissioner Tonya Antonucci and her investors are trying to line up sponsors as well as a deal with a national TV broadcaster.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2008/07/07/daily20.html

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
Re: Women's Professional Soccer plans draft and tryouts for seven teams
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:05:47 AM »
Official dates for player allocations and drafts, including internationals, set:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid3478.aspx

July 8 – Week of Sept. 15 Advancement of player contract discussions between WPS and U.S. WNT / U.S. WNT Player Pool; contracts to be finalized prior to post-Olympics allocation.

July 8 – Aug. 5 WPS teams may enter discussions with international players, in advance of International Players’ post-Olympics draft
August 5 – 23    Beijing Olympics quiet period; no WPS communication with any Players competing in the Olympics
September 2    WPS Teams submit U.S. WNT Player preferences to the League
Week of September 15    U.S. WNT / U.S. WNT Player Pool domestic allocation
Week of September 22    Draft of top International players (2 per WPS team)
October 6    WPS General Draft of Domestic and International players
December 10 – 13    WPS West Coast Combine
December 17 – 20    WPS East Coast Combine
Week of January 14    WPS Post-Combine Draft
Beginning February 1    WPS Tryouts in Team’s local market may begin any time after January 31. Exact dates of all local tryouts will be posted to both league and team websites.
March 1    WPS Pre-Season begins
April 4/5 (TBD)    WPS Regular Season begins
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

shlj

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:36:09 AM »
July 8 – Aug. 5 WPS teams may enter discussions with international players, in advance of International Players’ post-Olympics draft
I like the fact that they put in the open that WPS will contact player that are currently under contract with other club. In the men's football this is called tapping up a player. Here it is a pre-draft process. I just wonder
what clubs are thinking of this, do they get informed by WPS or the player about the negociations?
To be fair it's only 14 players  in total anyway but still it's funny to do it openly lol

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:12:47 AM »
From what I remember about the WUSA, they pretty much did things the same way and ticked off a couple of teams in the process.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
One-on-One with Coach DiCicco on Olympics, Allocation and More
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:52:35 AM »
One-on-One with Coach DiCicco on Olympics, Allocation and More

Thursday, July 24, 2008
By: Boston Breakers

Following the recent WPS announcement regarding the timeline for player allocation and drafts, the Boston Breakers marketing staff sat down with Head Coach Tony DiCicco to discuss his strategy for building the team, his role as the U-20 National Team Coach and what to look for in the 2008 Olympics from both the US Women’s National Team and other international team contenders.  We realized that our fans probably have the same “inquiring minds” that we do, so we decided to share our “interview” with Coach DiCicco with all of you.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid3928.aspx?team=boston
Bente Nordby - Verdens Beste Keeper

Vær snill og rett feilene mine
(Please correct my mistakes)

shlj

US WNT allocation live on 16th September
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »

WPS to announce Allocation results on Tuesday, Sept. 16

Friday, September 12, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO (Sept. 12, 2008) – Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) will announce the allocation results of the U.S. Women’s National Team players to its teams on Tuesday, Sept. 16 at the Sports Museum of America in Manhattan.  Commissioner Tonya Antonucci and WPS Part-Owner and two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash will emcee the invitation-only event.

“The excitement for Allocation has been building for months as fans, coaches and even the players have been speculating about which athletes will be dispersed to which markets,” said Antonucci.  “We’re eager to make this announcement as it allows our teams to build upon the momentum of the National Team’s gold medal victory at the 2008 Olympics by generating awareness around their players in advance of the League’s April 2009 launch.”

Members of the U.S. Women’s National Team player pool, including several 2008 Olympic gold medalists, will be allocated to the seven WPS teams who will participate in the inaugural 2009 season: Bay Area, Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, Los Angeles, Sky Blue FC, St. Louis and Washington Freedom.

The allocation process began with members of the National Team player pool submitting their city preferences to the League.  After reviewing the athletes’ lists, the Teams likewise forwarded their player preferences to the League.

A League committee is examining both lists and considering League and Team marketing initiatives before sending an allocation recommendation to the Teams.  Upon evaluating this recommendation, the Teams may release players to the allocation board.  Prior to the Sept. 16 announcement, the WPS Board of Governors will hold a 48-hour closed-door meeting in New York City to determine the final allocation results.  During this time, the Board of Governors will consult with the players, teams and league in order to accomplish the best possible dispersal for all parties.

At the conclusion of the closed-door meeting, the Board of Governors will forward its allocation decisions to Commissioner Antonucci for final approval.

“I’m expecting a lively process with the Board of Governors,” said Antonucci.  “As much as the teams are trying to improve their positioning, they possess an understanding and appreciation of the significance of this event.  Everyone wants to ensure that a strong foundation is laid for all seven teams.”

Immediately after Allocation, the WPS Board of Governors will convene to weight the seven teams by strength.  This ranking will determine the selection order for the International Player Draft, to be held the week of Sept. 22.

Coverage of Allocation including the announcement will be provided at womensprosoccer.com and the League’s Social Network, fans.womensprosoccer.com.  Learn more about how to follow Allocation.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid4834.aspx

shlj

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
Draft of Top International Players

Monday, September 22, 2008 - Week of Sept. 22
TBA

Following the U.S. WNT Domestic Allocation, a draft specifically for International players will be held during the week of Sept. 22.  Each WPS team will draft the rights to a TBD number of International players.  More details regarding the International Player Draft will be announced in the near future.  View more information on the player selection process timeline.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/eventitem_ektid3490.aspx

I expect players like Marta or Kelly Smith to be in 14 names.
I haven't heard anything from France suggesting there would be someone in the list as well.
To be fair, we have one or two good players only.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:49:01 AM »
I'm sure people will try to go after them, but I don't know if a team will be able to afford Marta or not. A blog reported that Marta and her agent were asking for $400,000. Even if Marta can be had for less, I don't know if a team will be able to afford what Umea pays her, which is something like $250,00 USD, IIRC.

As for Kelly ... While I'd love to see her play again, she seems firmly planted with Arsenal.

While I'm sure there will be some 'bigger' names coming over, I think the league will be aiming for some youngsters, or maybe some various nat teamers who are top players, but don't necessarily have the name recognition that Smith, Marta, Prinz may have.

shlj

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 07:29:33 AM »
Some U23 internationals could go because loads of them played in the W League an therefore already known and couple of them played well at the Nordics vs the USA.