Author Topic: Former Matilda teams up with McFadden  (Read 2748 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Former Matilda teams up with McFadden
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:36:33 PM »
SHE'S back in the headlines on the hunt for naked talent on the soccer field, just don't ask her about that nude calendar.

Former Matilda Amy Taylor caused a stir in 1999 when she and members of the Australian women's soccer team bared all to lift the game's profile.

An invitation to the calendar launch, featuring a bare-breasted Taylor, was described at the time as "looking like an invitation to a brothel".

"I have no regrets, but I guess it's like a monkey on my back," she said this week.

"Everyone seems to remember it because it was such a big deal at the time. I think now it's been done that many times by different people, it's lost its shock value."

Taylor has now teamed with Irish-born pop star, Delta Goodrem's other half Brian McFadden, to host Foxtel's Football Superstar, a TV search to find Australia's most gifted young player.

Of the 15 finalists announced last night vying for a season-long contract with Sydney FC's youth squad, three are from Melbourne: Evan Christodoulou, 17, from Sunshine, Reno Damianou, 19, from West Sunshine and William Dixon, 18, of Diamond Creek.

"I can say that Melbourne is well represented at the pointy end of the competition," Taylor revealed.

The retired defender also admitted she was yet to master the social side of the game.

"I'm a little too competitive. I'm not ready to take that backward step," she said.

"I'd be too aggressive and passionate, and I don't know how to tone that down yet."

McFadden was on the receiving end of some good-natured taunts from soccer fans this week.

When he took to the field for Sydney FC in its first trial game in coathanger city, several punters showed their support for Australia's adopted son by chanting "You're a poor Robbie Williams" and "You're just a fat Ronan Keating".

The former Westlife warbler smiled before giving the crowd the fingered salute - an act not suitable for Goodrem's Innocent Eyes.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23928321-5012974,00.html