Author Topic: History of Liverpool Ladies FC  (Read 3303 times)

Offline xena

• View Profile
    • Everton Ladies Fans
History of Liverpool Ladies FC
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:51:56 AM »

The club was originally called Newton Ladies, though this had become Knowsley WFC by the time they entered the first National League in 1991.

They ended the inaugural season in fourth and, strengthened by the arrival of several England internationals, the team went to Wembley in 1993, losing to Arsenal in the League Cup final.

In 1994-95 the club was revolutionised, coming under the LFC banner for the first time and receiving full financial support from Anfield.

It was quite a first year for the newly established Liverpool FC Ladies. Not only were they runners-up in the league - still their highest ever finish - they also reached the FA Cup final, losing 3-2 to Arsenal.

More cup final heartache followed in 1995-96 when the Reds lost to Croydon on penalties.

Unfortunately the club failed to capitalise on their success and, after several mid-table finishes, were relegated to the Premier League Northern Division in 2001.

The introduction of youth and reserve level sides helped put the ladies back on track, however, and in 2003-04 they bounced back into the top flight after an entire season unbeaten.

The icing on the cake came with victory over Everton in the first ever Liverpool County Cup final. To celebrate, the girls embarked on a summer tour of Singapore.

It all boded well for the campaign to come, though it soon became clear that LFC Ladies still had work to do if they were to re-establish themselves as one of English football's elite. Just two wins in 18 games meant they were back in the North Division.

Relegation spelt the end for manager John Williams after three years at the helm.

Keith Cliffe was the man to take charge and the Reds set out on the 2005-06 season with renewed optimism. A second place finish behind unbeaten Blackburn ensured a play off against Chelsea, who came second bottom in the National Division. Sadly, after a 1-1 draw at home, they were beaten 3-0 in London.

Still, the new regime promised much, and in 2006-07 it delivered as LFC Ladies won the Northern Division. It came after a run of 12 wins from 13 matches to overturn Lincoln City's seemingly impregnable lead at the top.

After leading the club back into the Premier League, Cliffe decided to call it a day, handing over the reins to David Bradley.

On taking over, Bradley pledged: "No one is more obsessed with moving this club forward than me. I see the players as the most important part of the club and I want them to feel that way”.

David Bradley sacked end of 2007-2008 season

Now the club embarks on finding a new manager to try and bring them to the top again!
Everton Ladies Fans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & Sportlobster

"Once a blue, always a blue"

Offline blue

• View Profile
Re: History of Liverpool Ladies FC
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »
d

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »
And now they are relegated from the top flight :(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

shlj

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 10:05:54 PM »
Disappointed as I was hoping to for Forrest to go down with Fulham   :(

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »
Disappointed as I was hoping to for Forrest to go down with Fulham   :(
I thought Liverpool would have stayed up - but the loss of a Welsh striker must have caused problems  :(
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(