Author Topic: Albion ace set to make history  (Read 1371 times)

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Albion ace set to make history
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
JEMMA Iommi is on the verge of making history by becoming Albion's first-ever ladies senior international.

The WBA Womens' Football Club centre-half has been called up to Republic of Ireland squad for their European Championship qualifier against Sweden, in Dublin, on Wednesday, June 25.

Iommi, who celebrates her 23rd birthday today, was born in Sutton Coldfield but qualifies to play for the Republic through her dad and will link up with them for a training camp on Thursday.

"I'm really excited and hopefully I'll go to the training camp and show them all what I can do," said the former Doncaster Belles and Villa player.

"I'll be playing with a lot of Premier League players and it will be a good experience."

It is the first time Iommi has been named in an Ireland squad.

And it is just reward for her after helping the Baggies finish third in the Midland Combination Main League and reach the Birmingham County Cup final thanks to some impressive defensive displays.

WBA WFC manager Chris Holloway: "It's a fantastic achievement, not only for Jemma, but for the whole squad.

"It gives them all the belief that they are good enough to make that step up.

"I'm sure Jemma will go over there on the back of a great season and make her mark."

http://www.wba.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~1318299,00.html