Author Topic: Norge Tur  (Read 76786 times)

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Norge Tur
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:06:54 PM »
This past week I've been getting really excited about the trip I will be taking to Norway.  In fact one month from today will be my first full day in Oslo.  8)  I'll be staying in Norway until the 4th of July and am looking forward to watching at least one Toppserien match "live" as well as going to the Norge - U.S. match in Fredrikstad on the 2nd of July.   8)

There are three round 13 Toppserien matches that will be played in the Oslo area, but as it stands right now, the scheduled kick-off for all of the matches is at 16.00 on the 29th of June.  :o  It is nice to know that the Toppserien fixture lists are not set in stone so perhaps I'll get lucky and there will be a schedule change making it possible for me to attend more than one match. 

Here are the three Oslo area round 13 matches:

Team Strømmen - Fart

Kolbotn - Trondheims-Ørn

Røa - Fløya
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:08:39 PM by norge95 »
Bente Nordby - Verdens Beste Keeper

Vær snill og rett feilene mine
(Please correct my mistakes)

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Syttende Mai i San Diego
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »
Gratulerer Med Dagen!! I hope everyone has had a very nice Syttende Mai. :)
(17th of May - Norwegian Constitution Day).   

This morning I went to a special Norwegian flag raising ceremony that was held outside the House of Norway in Balboa Park near downtown San Diego.   We are having near record warm temperatures and at 10.00 this morning it was already close to 30° C!! 

This morning's event was really well attended and one of the highlights for me was getting the opportunity to meet several Norwegians new to the southern California area who are also norsk fotball fans.  I spoke to a Rosenborg/Ørn fan from Trondheim as well as a Kolbotn fan who still owns a house close to Sofiemyr Stadion. 8)  I got business cards from both of them so perhaps we will be able to get together in August and have viewing parties for some of Team Norge's matches during the Olympics.   

There was also a very nice man from Fredrikstad there and of course I had to talk to him about the Norge - U.S. match that will be played in his hometown on 2. July.  I am assuming that this match will be played at the new stadium that the men's club in Fredrikstad now calls home.

Soon I'm off to special Sons of Norway Syttende Mai dinner event.  In years past the bar was stocked with norsk øl og akevitt.   8)  In any event it certainly promises to be another good opportunity to snakker litt om norsk fotball og min tur til Norge.    :)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:18:02 PM by norge95 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: Norge Tur 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:18:59 PM »
Sounds good . . last year I celebrated May 17 in Bodø which started with cannons firing as we came into the harbour, a brass band for us to march into the town behind, with our flags that we were given, a party atmosphere in the town, a fairground and even a group of four young girls with a banner offering "free hugs"  ;D
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:22:31 PM »
Sounds good . . last year I celebrated May 17 in Bodø which started with cannons firing as we came into the harbour, a brass band for us to march into the town behind, with our flags that we were given, a party atmosphere in the town, a fairground and even a group of four young girls with a banner offering "free hugs"  ;D

That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate syttende mai Alan.  I've only been north of the Artic Circle once and one year I would love to do what you did and celebrate syttende mai in Bodø or Tromsø. 

Just out of curiosity have you ever been to a Toppserien match played north of the Artic Circle? I have a friend who plays for Fløya and would love to see her play up in Tromsø.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:25:26 PM by norge95 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:08 PM »
Well, I was in Tromsø last Monday afternoon but Fløya were having an away match at Kolbotn.  Lucky, because there was a fresh 4" showfall and it was still snowing  :)
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline Bonnie Lass

• View Profile
    • Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:01:54 AM »
I wore my 03-05 Norway Home jersey today and ate some herring from a tin. :D That's about the best I could muster for a celebration in the deep south. :D

And I was quite surprised to see snow falling on Olso early this morning during the festivities. I knew they said it was expected to be chilly, but snow? Yikes.
If the only prayer you say in your whole life is thank you, that would suffice.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
I hung up the flag and watched Norway v Poland again  :)
See the Grand Bodø girls in their May 17 gear on: http://damer.ikgrand.no/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:52:54 AM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 03:09:45 AM »

I forgot to ask you if this visit to Bodø was also part of a Hurtiruten coastal cruise.  I'm guessing that it probably was. 

So not only were you welcomed to Bodø by cannons and a marching band, but some young girls were even offering "free hugs."   8)  I guess the only way it could have been any better for you would have been if some of the Grand Bodø players were there to greet you as well. ;D

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Syttende Mai Weekend in Sunny San Diego
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 03:42:21 AM »
The sun is now finally setting on one of the best Syttende Mai celebrations I have ever enjoyed outside of Norway.  The turn out was fantastic for both the dinner last night as well as the House of Norway festivities today.  8)

And to top it off for me, I also met a lot more fans of norsk kvinnefotball.   Last night I met two more big fans of both Rosenborg and Ørn from Trondheim and today I some Team Strømmen fans from Lørenskog, a Kolbotn fan, a fan of Gro Espeseth from Bergen, and fan of Bente Nordby from Hamar.   8)

One of the reasons why I attracted as many fans of norsk kvinnefotball as I did today was because I decided to wear my custom Euro 2005 Team Norge Bente Nordby jersey on Syttende Mai one final time before retiring it.  I actually had one woman come up to me and ask where she could buy the same  jersey for herself and I was sorry to have to tell her that she was three years too late.  :(

Most of the Norwegians I spoke to today didn't know much about the WUSA and were very interested to find out that Bente had played here for the San Diego Spirit back in 2001.  The Kolbotn fan I spoke to didn't know about the time that Bente had spent in San Diego, but she certainly did know that Kolbotn won their first Toppserien league championship in 2002 after Bente joined the club. 

One of the most interesting things I heard today was from one of the Team Strømmen fans from Lørenskog. We were marching together in the syttende mai toget when he asked me if I had ever heard of his cousin before....... Heidi Støre....  I almost dropped my Norwegian flag I was so surprised.   :o

I thought it was really cool when Støre's cousin immediately called his father back in Norway to let him know that he had just met a Norwegian-American who was not only a fan of norsk kvinnefotball, but who also knew who Heidi Støre was.   ;D  I feel really lucky that over the years I have had the opportunity to meet quite a few members of the 1995 World Cup Championship squad and now after this chance meeting today, perhaps Heidi Støre might be the next member of the Norge95 squad that I will get the opportunity to meet in person.   8)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:15:34 AM by norge95 »

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
Sennep sild smakte veldig godt
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:06:33 AM »
I wore my 03-05 Norway Home jersey today and ate some herring from a tin. :D That's about the best I could muster for a celebration in the deep south. :D

I just thought I would let you know Bonnie that your post has inspired me to have some sennep sild (herring in mustard sauce) for a light dinner tonight.  The House of Norway was giving out free pølse og is (sausages & ice cream) this afternoon and I was totally stuffed when I left Balboa Park.  :o

I think I'm now up to about 11 different types of sild (herring) that I have tried during previous trips to Norway.  One of the new ones I tried during my trip in '06 was Indian herring (herring in a special curry sauce) and I thought it was quite good.   :)

And I was quite surprised to see snow falling on Olso early this morning during the festivities. I knew they said it was expected to be chilly, but snow? Yikes.

I've been to Oslo twice for syttende mai and was blessed with very nice weather both times with sunshine and temperatures ranging from about 12°C - 18°C (mid 50's to mid 60's °F).  I was really surprised when I heard yesterday about how cold it was in many parts of Norway on syttende mai.   :o 

I just checked the weather in Oslo and it is about 1°C (34°F) right now, but it is supposed to warm up this week and be mostly sunny for th next four days with daytime high temperatures around 15-16 °C (59-61°F).  It is really too bad that thhe weather gods in Norway were being so unkind during syttende mai weekend.   >:(

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:14:51 AM by norge95 »

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »
Sounds like San Diego is a Norwegian colony. 

When Lise Klaveness missed May 17 two years ago at Umeå she described in her blog as a day when you go around in national dress and eat as much ice cream as your stomach can take  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:15:35 PM by Alan »
Alltid. Uansett.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »
Sounds like San Diego is a Norwegian colony.
  :D

When Lise Klaveness missed May 17 two years ago at Umeå she described in her blog as a day when you go around in national dress and eat as much ice cream as your stomach can take  :)

Eating lots of ice cream was one of the ways that some of the  women wearing "bunads" (the Norwegian national costumes) managed to cool down last Sunday while braving temperatures that were over 30°C!!

On a side note, whenever I see "San Diego" and "Lise Klaveness" mentioned in the same post, it makes me a bit sad.  :(   The WUSA club the San Diego Spirit was trying extremely hard to sign Klaveness 5 years ago.  Unfortunately even if the Spirit had been successful reaching an agreement with Asker, Klaveness would have never played professionally in San Diego because the league folded a few months after the negotiations with Asker broke down.   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:09:29 PM by norge95 »

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:13:55 PM »

There are three round 13 Toppserien matches that will be played in the Oslo area, but as it stands right now, the scheduled kick-off for all of the matches is at 16.00 on the 29th of June.  :o  It is nice to know that the Toppserien fixture lists are not set in stone so perhaps I'll get lucky and there will be a schedule change making it possible for me to attend more than one match. 

Team Strømmen - Fart

Kolbotn - Trondheims-Ørn

Røa - Fløya

Right now I'm hoping that the Kolbotn - Trondheims-Ørn will end up being a televised match.  The best case scenario for me would be to have the date of this match changed so that I could watch it "live" at Sofiemyr, but if that doesn't happen then at least I can record it and watch it later. 

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
NM Cup
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »
When I was in Norway during the month of June three years ago I was lucky enough to watch three women's club matches within the span of about 8 days thanks to the NM Cup.   8)  Now I'm hoping that I will be lucky again with the scheduling of the NM Cup third round during Norge Tur '08. 

Does anyone know when the NM Cup third round matches will be played?  I have only seen the results of  three of the 2nd round matches so far and at the fotball.no site I'm only able to find the 2nd round fixtures.   ???

http://www.fotball.no/table.asp?p=55205&cat=51834&x=1&a=226488

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:48 PM »
Does anyone know when the NM Cup third round matches will be played?  I have only seen the results of  three of the 2nd round matches so far and at the fotball.no site I'm only able to find the 2nd round fixtures.   ???

All the results from the second round are on:

www.kvinnefotball.no

and there are short reports from some matches at:

http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/

Some of the club sites also have reports on, but I've only seen the Team Strømmen site mentioning the next round so far. They seem to have been drawn against Fart, so it looks like at least one all Toppserien clash.

Kolbotn's fixture calender seems to have the third round of the cup pencilled in for the 10th June.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »

All the results from the second round are on:

www.kvinnefotball.no

and there are short reports from some matches at:

http://fotball.adressa.no/kvinner/

Tusen takk for the links to the results and the match reports.

Kolbotn's fixture calender seems to have the third round of the cup pencilled in for the 10th June.

Unfortunately I won't be arriving in Norway until June 15th.  :(

I guess there is always a chance that I'll get lucky again like I did in '05 when the date of Team Strømmen's third round NM Cup match ended up getting moved to one of the only evenings I still had left free on my calendar.   8)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:10:38 PM by norge95 »

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 12:32:14 PM »
Here's the full draw Norge95. The supposed Team Strømmen/ Fart game was up on their website I think, but it must have been a mistake.

Cup 3rd Round

Kolbotn - Manglerud Star
Asker – Fart
Team Strømmen – Orkla
Amazon Grimstad – Røa
Klepp - Donn   
Sandviken - Arna-Bjørnar
Fortuna - Trondheims-Ørn
Grand Bodø - Fløya

The matches will be played on the 10th June 18.00hrs, first teams are at home.

Source: http://fotballmagasinet.no/?mode=news&id=13530

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »
Here's the full draw Norge95. The supposed Team Strømmen/ Fart game was up on their website I think, but it must have been a mistake.

Tusen takk for posting the draw Billy.

The matches will be played on the 10th June 18.00hrs, first teams are at home.

Source: http://fotballmagasinet.no/?mode=news&id=13530

This isn't the news I was hoping for, but tusen takk just the same.

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »

And two weeks later they are enjoying some unseasonably warm temperatures in the Oslo area.   8)

Today at Gardermoen airport the temperature reached a high of 26.5 degrees C at 2:30 PM. The all-time record high for the month of May at Gardermoen is 26.8 degrees C back on May 31, 1992.

Nesten varmerekord på Romerike

http://www.rb.no/lokale_nyheter/article3577396.ece

Varmerekorden for mai på Gardermoen er 26,8 grader, og stammer fra 31. mai 1992.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:04:59 PM by norge95 »

Offline norge95

• #1 Nordby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 03:01:10 AM »

Team Strømmen - Fart

Kolbotn - Trondheims-Ørn

Røa - Fløya

I finally realized why the Norwegian women's Toppserien is scheduled to play all six of their round 13 matches on Sunday June 29 while the Norwegian men's Tippeligaen plays their round 11 matches on Friday June 27, Saturday June 28, and Monday June 30.  The Euro 2008 championship match will be played June 29!

I took a quick look at the Euro2008 schedule and noticed that there are no conflicts with the kickoff times of any Tippeligaen matches during the three week Euro2008 tournament. The five Tippeligaen matches scheduled for next weekend are the only matches that will even be played the same day that Euro2008 matches are scheduled.  The Euro2008 quarterfinals will be played while the Tippeligaen is still on summer break and the semifinals are scheduled for June 25 & 26. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:30:33 AM by norge95 »