Author Topic: Akers - It feels good every year we win it  (Read 643 times)

Offline Gooner

• View Profile
Akers - It feels good every year we win it
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
Vic interview from Arsenal.com following Arsenal's victory against Chelsea.

on having to come from behind...
"We came from behind in the Cup Final last year I remember. We obviously like giving teams a start for some season. But I felt we took charge of the game and once the third goal went in, I thought it was pretty safe for us."

on another League title...
"Another League title and we are really pleased with that. It is a fantastic record. It feels good every year and you can see that on all of our faces and the reaction of the girls. It is different class. That's what we are here for."

on a long season...
"The World Cup took its toll on us I think. We didn?t have a real pre-season. The World Cup intervened and when the players came back we went straight into the Uefa Cup. At that point the girls were on the floor I think. Physically struggling and mentally struggling but they picked themselves up, stuck at it and got back into it quickly. Full marks to them for their character."

on going for the 'Double'...
"We want to win [in the League] on Sunday and make sure we can stay unbeaten then we turn attention to the following Monday against Leeds [in the FA Cup Final] which will be a tough game. They went to Everton and got a 0-0 before winning on penalties [in the Semi-Final]. We want to go for all the trophies and if we win there, it means we will have two out of three which under normal circumstances is no mean feet."

on gunning for Europe...
"Tonight we have done well to put the chances away and created some good goals. I think people will go home happy tonight. This is the main tournament you need to win to make sure that you are in Europe the next season and we have done that. I think we have been in Europe every year bar one. That is a good record and one we must maintain and go all out in that competition next year."

on playing at Emirates Stadium...
"In one aspect I was pleased [with the crowd]. But on another we could have surpassed 10-15,000 fans. Everybody wants to come to the stadium just to be inside it and to be able to do it for three pounds is a great day for everybody. It had to be a club decision because when the numbers go up you have to get police involved and then you?re paying for that. We are delighted that the club has allowed us to do it. I think it is the first time we have been able to play here before the season is out. The pitch is in such a fantastic condition though. Recently there was a youth game with 38,000 and you perhaps think 'What would we have got?' I think we probably could have filled the lower tiers. That would have made it a real nice evening."

on exciting prospect Kim Little...
"She settled in great. She flies down from Scotland and will go up tomorrow to join up with the national side. But make a note of this kid, she is going to be a big player. She is 17 and hopefully we can see her develop. She will join up with the Academy next year, and go to university to continue her education and get a good ground in her football career. She has settled in great and you could see how pleased she was to get that goal."