Author Topic: Steffi Jones welcomes Rwanda  (Read 663 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Steffi Jones welcomes Rwanda
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
Steffi Jones welcomes Rwanda
Wednesday 23 April 2008

Football is playing a part in helping Rwanda overcome its troubled past. The country's best female players dream of a place at the FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 in Germany. It is a powerful inspiration for the national squad, who met LOC President Steffi Jones at German FA (DFB) headquarters on Wednesday 23 April 2008.

The 18 players, the coaching staff and representatives of the Rwandan FA (FERWAFA) are in Germany for a training camp at the Koblenz-Oberwerth sports academy from 18 April until 1 May. The initiative, part of a DFB project and supervised by the Rhineland Palatinate Football and Culture Association (FKV 06), also includes four friendly matches for the Rwandan team.

"Obviously, it would be tremendous if I found myself congratulating Rwanda's young team on successfully qualifying for the World Cup. Whatever happens, I'm hoping we all meet again very soon in Germany. Just a few years ago, a normal football match was all but impossible in Rwanda. The national players are role models and clear proof of the power of the game," commented Jones.

German coach Andreas Spier is taking charge of the squad during their stay at the academy. Spier was one of five DFB coaches who visited Rwanda and trained local instructors in August 2007.

The Rwandan FA joined FIFA in 1978. The women's team has yet to qualify for a world or continental finals.

http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/news/newsid=752166.html#steffi+jones+welcomes+rwanda