Author Topic: Gillian Coultard  (Read 1086 times)

Offline redrobin

• View Profile
Gillian Coultard
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:18:12 PM »
First female centurion
by Alex Stone
Thursday, 27 March 2008.

After David Beckham earned his 100th international cap last night in Paris, he became the fifth England male centurion.

Whilst Billy Wright, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and record holder Peter Shilton with 125 caps prececeded Beckham, in the women's game, there is only one player who has reached the 100 cap milestone: Gillian Coultard.

Today TheFA.com spoke to Gillian, who now coaches 16-19 year old female players at East Durham College.

"Reading all about David's achievement this morning brought it all back a bit" she said "and a few people at work today have reminded me that, I am still the most capped England outfield player, either male or female."

Coultard, announced her retirement from international football after 119 appearances for her country at the age of 37, having earned her first cap at the tender age of 18.

"I must have played almost every game alongside Hope, and what her coaching team are doing is fantastic to see. I gave a huge portion of my life to playing women's football, and watching the World Cup last September made me very proud.

"Things have moved on an awful lot from my playing days, and it's great to see some of the coverage the players rightfully received for reaching the quarter finals.

"I'm still involved in the sport, and although no-one can take my caps away from me, when young girls mention it to me these days, you do feel your age just a little bit!"

Gillian played club football for Doncaster Belles for 24 years, winning two National League titles and six FA Women's Cup winners medals. Her first cap came against the Republic of Ireland in 1981, and after 119 caps and 30 goals, her last appearance for The Three Lions was against Switzerland in May 2000, a 1-0 victory with the goal from former Arsenal striker Angela Banks.

Chairman of The FA Women's Football Committee, Ray Kiddell congratulated Gill on a glorious career back in 2000. "Gill has made an incredible contribution to the English game at a national and domestic level," said Kiddell. "Her conduct both on and off the pitch has been a credit to her and to England and she has been a wonderful captain of the national side."

http://www.thefa.com/Womens/EnglandSenior/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2008/03/First_female_centurion.htm