Poll

Who is the best English center forward to lead England to glory in 2009?

Lianne Sanderson
7 (33.3%)
Jody Handley
3 (14.3%)
Eniola Aluko
0 (0%)
Rebecca Angus
3 (14.3%)
Helen Lander
1 (4.8%)
Katie Anderton
1 (4.8%)
Natasha Dowie
5 (23.8%)
Ellen White
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: April 05, 2008, 11:56:45 PM

Author Topic: Search for a world class goalscorer  (Read 6347 times)

shlj

Search for a world class goalscorer
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:56:45 PM »
They all have different qualities and skills, which player get your votes and why?
You can have 3 votes because it is likely to be have 3 center forward in the squad for the Euros in line with the 4-5-1 tactic employed.

For me 1. Angus 2 Sanderson 3. Dowie
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:09:46 PM by shlj »

Offline David

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Search for a world class goalscorer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:37:49 AM »
I went 1) Angus 2) Lander 3) Anderton

If England are to persist with one up front it needs to be someone who can actually score

Offline wiganite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »
There is a reason why Anderton doesnt play for England and that is cos she struggles in training with the Eng squad so never gets picked - Hope may have faults but she can recognise an international player when she sees one.. As for the other two they may be ones for the future but not now again Hope has seen them and not thought they were at the highest level - I know people at England who say that Angus struggled in training - that may change with experience of being in squads but defo not ready for next summer..

It is a problem and I dont know what the answer is - I just think that Leanne Sanderson has the potential and goalscoring qualities to evolve at international level but needs to have games so is the obvious choice

shlj

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »
Fair enough if Anderton and Becky struggle in training.
We don't get to see them although I would love to just to see the methods they use.
It's a well known phenomena called peter's principle.
It happens in the France men team  a world class player is no longer called up because he does not bring enough to the team with his technical limitation
We already know that a big emphasis is put on the defensive shape and it's a basic starter
so it should be worked on before anything else.
I believe the defensive organisation is very good at the moment and is a platform and a solid foundation from where a good  attacking and creative style of football can be played.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:08:28 PM by shlj »

Offline sleepysara13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »
ya know a vote for natasha dowie what is it she said summet like 7 goals in 10 league games to me... she knows where d goal is give her a chance, she battles for d ball n knows where d goal is what else ya need

cardy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:05:04 AM »
I would say sanderson is the best choice at the moment, by choice I would play her at 10 and not 9 though.  Maybe Dowie for the future. One player no one has mentioned is Jodie Taylor. She is in US studying but is a regular U 23 player in the Nordics and also attended the training camp this month in the UK.  She has the necessary pace and can score (whether or not she can be a regular goal scorer in 'one up top' remains to be seen)
 in the future too.

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:10:51 AM »
There is a reason why Anderton doesnt play for England and that is cos she struggles in training with the Eng squad so never gets picked -

Says who exactly ?
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

Offline lulfc_n_calfc4lyf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »
a vote 4 dowie, she knows where d goal is n her record is top draw, wot more ya need

Offline wiganite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
There is a reason why Anderton doesnt play for England and that is cos she struggles in training with the Eng squad so never gets picked -

Says who exactly ?

Im not going to name Eng squad players am I? Lets just say it is the same consensus that thinks Leanne is a quality finisher in training. Again I will say that there has to be a reason she doesnt get a chance.... what other logical reason is there apart from she isnt up to standard? Its one thing scoring against premier league defenders but another international defenders... Eni cant do it either

shlj

UEFA Cup stats 07/08
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 07:35:39 PM »
Jody Handley is the best english centerforward this season in Europe with an average of 1 goal a game.

1 Handley 6 goals in 6 games
2 Sanderson 2 goals in 5 games
3 Angus and Dowie 1 goal in 3 games.

Offline BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 08:06:43 PM »
Jody Handley is the best english centerforward this season in Europe with an average of 1 goal a game.

Didn't Everton play in the preliminary groups? Arsenal and Kolbotn were seeded and so had more difficult games. So I'm not sure how much significance should be given to those figures.

How many goals might Lianne and Becky have got if they had been involved in the easier groups?

Offline wiganite

• View Profile
Re: UEFA Cup stats 07/08
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »

I actually agree that Jody should be way above the majority of the list and on a par with Leanne. She doesnt play No9 for Eng which is very strange as her goal tally shows that she is more than a number 7...

footiechick

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »
Interesting that nobody has voted for Aluko yet...

Offline KIPAX

• View Profile
    • KIPAX Sports Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »

Says who exactly ?

Im not going to name Eng squad players am I? Lets just say it is the same consensus that thinks Leanne is a quality finisher in training. Again I will say that there has to be a reason she doesnt get a chance.... what other logical reason is there apart from she isnt up to standard? Its one thing scoring against premier league defenders but another international defenders... Eni cant do it either

Your talking out of your backside.. there is another reason.. your doing the player a lot of harm spreading tripe like that.. just because you think its logical doesnt mean it is :( dont have a go at a player and accuse them of something then cry about not naming names.  It's people like you that harm the game .. either prove your point (you cant because it simply isnt true) or stop spreading your poison :(
Womens Football Photography : www.kipax.com

Offline wiganite

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »

Says who exactly ?

Your talking out of your backside.. there is another reason.. your doing the player a lot of harm spreading tripe like that.. just because you think its logical doesnt mean it is :( dont have a go at a player and accuse them of something then cry about not naming names.  It's people like you that harm the game .. either prove your point (you cant because it simply isnt true) or stop spreading your poison :(

Chill out then give me a reason why she doesnt play... Its nothing personal Ive seen her play and she is a good player but Hope Powell thinks she is NOT good enough for England otherwise she would have been played!!!!!!!

So come on then why do you think she isnt played?

footiechick

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »
Everybody has their own opinion on players but unfortunately its only Hope Powells which count.Shes manager and she picks the team.End of.Not everybody can play.
Its a promising sign tho if Anderton is in the squad.Powell must think she has potential to break into the team.

cardy

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 03:26:22 PM »
I agree international matches are different to premier league.  Its true they all have individual qualities and,  if you like, individual failings.  Powell's choice has to be the best all round option.  Luckily, the onus is on her!  She has a difficult job as there are no obvious choices.  Whoever she selects has a difficult job anyway with one up top. 

shlj

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »
I have been lucky enough to see most of the candidate play in the last month and most of them do really play well at the moment.

Offline twmcat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 03:01:47 AM »
Maybe some of the less popular ones would do well if they played for a bigger team?  :-\
The pic is Tytti Porkka of Finland - I actually took it myself, but have lost all my pics and have no more :(

Fleetings Feet

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 09:09:09 AM »
I voted 7 times......... ;)